• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Paterno's wins restored. Penn state cleared

skialta

Reaction score
Liberal use of the word "Cleared"

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, the players had nothing to do with anything that went on there.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Good. No reason to punish the players. Sandusky's crimes had nothing to do with PSU's won-loss record. As far as I recall, all the allegations against him came after he "retired". Although I still think he was "retired" because they knew something was up, so to speak.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
It was a gay-*** PC punishment from the start.

I suspect Paterno had no time for anyone who couldn't do something for him and I thought Spanier was a shady from shortly after the time he was hired, but I won't be surprised if in the end this wasn't so much a cover-up as it was McQuery being vague and wishy-washy about what he saw.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I agree, the players had nothing to do with anything that went on there.

Salute the nation

Look the NCAA was trying to save face after botching a ton of other more legit football scandals. Forcing out a head coach over an off the field issue that happened on his watch is 100% acceptable, but vacating wins and scholarships and such is more reserved for actual academic or recruiting type cheating or the ilk. That was discussed here a while back. It just took them some time to actually admit that. Its just a shame that this now has brought the whole mess up again. They should have just thrown the guy in jail, clean slated the staff, and moved on.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
The NCAA jumped before they looked, with the help of all the ESPN negative coverage blaming the program for what Sandusky did, was way out of line.

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
That is a wrong that should have never happened. Glad they righted it, just a little to late...

Troglodyte

Reaction score
X2

The question I want answered after this whole fiasco is why the Second Mile was never investigated...

I think it was as part of the investigation of Sandusky and the victims. I think the rumor that it was a front for a prostitution ring was just that. They had enough people coming forward that if something else was going on they would have had a lead.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
I hate that the universties and the alumni always suffer but never the coaches or players isn't fraud fraud? When isn't it? When the government is doing it?

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
This nauseates me. They took a strong stand against child abuse, and against looking the other way and sweeping child abuse under the rug, and now they are walking it all back, piece by piece. Like it never even happened. Heartbreaking.

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
the alumni always suffer

This alumni victim mentality fills me with anger. The alumni were suffering? Like being raped at 8 years old by a man suffering? Please...

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
It was a gay-*** PC punishment from the start.

I suspect Paterno had no time for anyone who couldn't do something for him and I thought Spanier was a shady from shortly after the time he was hired, but I won't be surprised if in the end this wasn't so much a cover-up as it was McQuery being vague and wishy-washy about what he saw.

I suspect McQueary is covering for Joe just like Joe covered for Jerry. But of course that's without the blue and white glasses on.

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
I can play football and have butt sex with children. I'm really not sure what one has to do with the other.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
I suspect McQueary is covering for Joe just like Joe covered for Jerry. But of course that's without the blue and white glasses on.

No. McQuery was a reluctant witness from the start and has since thrown everybody under the bus.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
This nauseates me. They took a strong stand against child abuse, and against looking the other way and sweeping child abuse under the rug, and now they are walking it all back, piece by piece. Like it never even happened. Heartbreaking.

This. Times 1,000.

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
No. McQuery was a reluctant witness from the start and has since thrown everybody under the bus.

McQueary has done everything but stand on his head to avoid fully implicating Paterno. Didn't want to mess up that coaching job. I don't believe for one second he didn't tell Paterno what he saw. Total bullshit.

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
In Paterno’s own awful words: “He (McQueary) had seen a person, an older person, fondling a young boy. I don’t know what you would call it, but it was of a sexual nature…I didn’t want to interfere with their weekends, (so) either Saturday or Monday, I talked to my boss, Tim Curley, by phone, saying, ‘Hey we got a problem’ and I explained the problem to him.”

Troglodyte

Reaction score
McQueary has done everything but stand on his head to avoid fully implicating Paterno. Didn't want to mess up that coaching job. I don't believe for one second he didn't tell Paterno what he saw. Total bullshit.

I thought his story was Patrerno told him he did the right thing keeping it in house instead of going to the police? I don't see how that is covering for Paterno.

I'm convinced he told Paterno something, I'm not convinced he was totally forthcoming after realizing he would become notorious for something nobody wants to become notorious for doing. I'm not convinced he was forthcoming once the police became involved either and if he was, why it took so long for the charges.

I suspect he wanted it to stop, he just wanted somebody else to stop it. Understandable, but not the right thing to do.

P

POP

That is a wrong that should have never happened. Glad they righted it, just a little to late...

They probably knew they were going to re-instate the wins (and some other stuff) at the time they announced the punishment. They had to kow tow to the over-the-top public reaction to the raping of children. The public gets whipped up into a frenzy and go on pitchforked hunts to kill the Frankenstein monster. But once the pitchforks are put away, they quietly reinstate the wins. _IF_ Joepa DID in fact know that Jerry was playing hide the sausage in the shower with young boys, and did his bare minimum to keep him out of the pokey, but realized it was still probably going on and he did nothing further, in order to protect the reputation for his program, that was incredibly wrong, and, Joepa admitted publicly that he "should have done more" to address the rapes. If I fully understand the story, Joepa was informed that rapes were taking place, and he did the bare minimum to exempt him from any criminal prosecution, but STILL allowed the rapist to keep an on-campus office and keep company with young boys, right under everyone's nose. What would you do if you were the dude that saw the rape in the shower, and after you reported it, you realized nothing was done about it and Jerry still was having his "hide the sausage" sessions?

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
They probably knew they were going to re-instate the wins (and some other stuff) at the time they announced the punishment. They had to kow tow to the over-the-top public reaction to the raping of children. The public gets whipped up into a frenzy and go on pitchforked hunts to kill the Frankenstein monster. But once the pitchforks are put away, they quietly reinstate the wins. _IF_ Joepa DID in fact know that Jerry was playing hide the sausage in the shower with young boys, and did his bare minimum to keep him out of the pokey, but realized it was still probably going on and he did nothing further, in order to protect the reputation for his program, that was incredibly wrong, and, Joepa admitted publicly that he "should have done more" to address the rapes. If I fully understand the story, Joepa was informed that rapes were taking place, and he did the bare minimum to exempt him from any criminal prosecution, but STILL allowed the rapist to keep an on-campus office and keep company with young boys, right under everyone's nose. What would you do if you were the dude that saw the rape in the shower, and after you reported it, you realized nothing was done about it and Jerry still was having his "hide the sausage" sessions?
See.. IF those things were the case, which 99% of the country believes, then the outrage is completely understandable.

But it really just seems way too far-fetched for me. The way more likely scenario is that McQueary never actually saw sex, so he never said he saw sex until years later when he was getting pressure from detectives, so nobody else really knew what Sandusky was. They probaby just thought he had boundary issues because he loves kids so much. McQueary's dad and the doctor to whom he told the story were both mandatory reporters and did nothing with the info Mike gave them.. So you're telling me EVERYBODY McQueary came in contact with, most of whom have sterling reputations, is some ruthless pedophile enabler, OR that he was so unsure of what he saw that he didn't actually tell anyone he saw a crime occur?

Come on people, think beyond the PC pitchfork mentality and try to be rational