• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Outplayed and Outcoached

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
A couple classic lines from that article...

"The Steelers, on the other hand, stubbornly stayed in their soft zone pass defense all night. The Steelers coaches didn't ask their cornerbacks to press the line of scrimmage to disrupt New England's receivers early in their routes. Giving Tom Brady the same looks repeatedly over 60 minutes"

"We didn't do a good enough job or a quick enough job adapting to the circumstance," Tomlin said after the game."

The irony...it burns Mike. You didn't adapt at all!

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
******* inexcusable, this is on Tomlin, plain and simple, that is not Butlers defense, that is a ****** Tampa two.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You just can't say it any other way. Our coaching staff live in their fears.

mdk2

Reaction score
Ben said it all in his post game interview. "We had to play flawless." What a terrible way to look at playing an opponent. The coaches coached and the players played with that mindset and it showed. That's the difference in playing loose and playing real uptight. Ben and the offense had so much damn pressure on them to score on every drive, cause they knew the same old scheme wasn't going to stop Brady as usual. You can't expect to have a great game with that kind of pressure on your back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Our base D was wrong. Any adjustments we might have made were wrong. If our D coordinator can't make adjustments to at least come close to covering the WR's (who aren't the best in the league) for the best team in the AFC, then we seriously need to think about looking elsewhere.

Our D execution was bad also. Some goes on the players but much also goes on the coaching. They weren't ready for New England in any way shape or form.

The O did lose Bell but that's no excuse. Execution was bad, in general. You MUST put up points early and often (30+) against New England to ever have a realistic chance to beat them. We came out run, run, pass.

Out coached in a major way. And definitely out played. We got spanked and that's what we deserved.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We came out run, run, pass.

With a RB that either hid the fact that he was hurt from the team (how they would not have known in practice is beyond me), or they knew was hurt and still planned on pounding Bell regardless. The ONLY reason Fitz gets a hat over Ayers is if the Steelers knew Bell was not 100%. IF that is case then the game plan offensively makes even less sense.

Slash#10

Reaction score
Bell didn't practice this week. He was off Wednesday and Thursday. Friday would be very light work. If Bettis could pull a fast one during Training camp to not get cut, I don't doubt Bell was able to hide his injury.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Steeler Nation mobile app

ZACKB

Reaction score
You need to pressure Brady and play man defense, not zone. We did neither. That is why we lost. I feel that we should be playing more man cover in the secondary. I don't think Cockrell can, but Gilbert, and Burns should be able to. Golson (when healthy) may be able to as well. Fast, athletic corners is what we need.

steel shinin

Reaction score
This is a line in the sand for the Steelers and specifically Mike Tomlin. Huge line. All signs are pointing to a scheme that they know is ineffective against Brady yet they keep running. I understood when he was hired because LeBeau was here and if you go back and listen to his reactions to the Patriots losses back then he was annoyed and you could tell. I fully expected him at some point to start to change the scheme once LeBeau was gone. They didn't change the scheme enough this year and this is the time to do it BECAUSE YOU HAVE YOUNG PLAYERS. Coach them up. I fully expect them to go to camp this year and do that. If they don't they are asking for another one of these *** beatings. They are damn lucky to even have the 3 lowB repuS appearances they have with Ben considering they were able to avoid New England in the playoffs since his rookie year. That's incredible luck. It's also why they figured they could get away with this. I guarantee you if the Patriots had done to them what they did to the Colts for years they would have had to adjusted sooner. I get so angry about this because Baltimore plays them so well and has for years. The Jets beat them in the playoffs. The Broncos. The Giants famously. They all have the same thing in common. Pressure. Man Coverage. Timely blitzes. The Jets scheme was the best I think because they played zone with man behind it. It allowed them to blow up all that underneath stuff.

Last edited:

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
I must have said it 20 times yesterday. This game was over when the Steelers charter touched down at Logan International. Poor game plan, poor (no) adjustments and zero intensity. A total coaching melt down.

Also, watching Coates return kicks was painful. He'd run straight up the middle and then try to slowly bounce it outside. I just had to laugh on that one return when he got drilled trying to do that. Limas Sweed II. He even wears the same number.

ToddGLegg

Reaction score
Tomlin and staff are terrible. We win in a terrible division. That coaching was abysmal, with no corrections or adjustments at halftime. Tomlin has destroyed discipline and maturity on this team, really letting players celebrate on any little thing. We celebrate when a tackle is made after a 10 yard gain. Let's not even get into the arm tackling and no hitting and wrapping up on a tackle. Let me rephrase that, multiple missed arm tackles. Hogan should have been stopped for a 2 yard gain, 2 players in position to make the tackle. Five missed arm tackles later, he had an 18 yard gain. Edelman, same thing, over and over again. Terrible strategy, or lack of! Tomlin needs to go! Nice man, terrible coach.

Papa Lazarou

Reaction score
Welcome to the new WWE. This game was bought. Pay back to the Patriots for letting Manning wander off into the sunset with a Super bowl trophy and putting up with the Deflategate saga. Hopefully, the price for enduring this fiasco as fans will result in #7 for Steelers next year. Here have our playbook Bill. A former lacrosse player goes 9 for 180 and 2 TDs - really? Fumble. What fumble? Pass interference, whatever do you mean? Different rules apply in Foxboro. Thanks for the 3am wake up call... pity we fell asleep during the game.

steel shinin

Reaction score
Welcome to the new WWE. This game was bought. Pay back to the Patriots for letting Manning wander off into the sunset with a Super bowl trophy and putting up with the Deflategate saga. Hopefully, the price for enduring this fiasco as fans will result in #7 for Steelers next year. Here have our playbook Bill. A former lacrosse player goes 9 for 180 and 2 TDs - really? Fumble. What fumble? Pass interference, whatever do you mean? Different rules apply in Foxboro. Thanks for the 3am wake up call... pity we fell asleep during the game.

Or the Steelers just did a **** job of game planning and executing. Do you really think the league is HELPING the Patriots at this point?

steelville

Reaction score
The title says it all. Out played, out coached, beaten by a much better team. Period. I dislike the Pats, but you gotta admit the truth.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
There's a saying about playing checkers while they are playing chess, but i think the steeler defense is still on tic tac toe.

jbem

Reaction score
I also think it's easy to overanalyze these games too. We all loathe him but Tom Brady is to football what Michael Jordan is to basketball....a once in a lifetime talent. Dude just destroys us.

unfortunatly starting to agree with that , any team would love his numbers

jbem

Reaction score
Our base D was wrong. Any adjustments we might have made were wrong. If our D coordinator can't make adjustments to at least come close to covering the WR's (who aren't the best in the league) for the best team in the AFC, then we seriously need to think about looking elsewhere.

Our D execution was bad also. Some goes on the players but much also goes on the coaching. They weren't ready for New England in any way shape or form.

The O did lose Bell but that's no excuse. Execution was bad, in general. You MUST put up points early and often (30+) against New England to ever have a realistic chance to beat them. We came out run, run, pass.

Out coached in a major way. And definitely out played. We got spanked and that's what we deserved.
honestly i think ben has a man crush on brady, asking for a shirt wtf, doesnt he no we hate him