• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Outplayed and Outcoached

In Ben We Trust

Reaction score
You can come up with 8-10 reasons why we lost, but the cold hard reality is that the Patriots own us. They do the same thing every single time they play our team, spread us out, we play zone, and Brady picks us in to shreds. The Steelers answer that on offense with offensive play calling that worked in the 70's but not today. To beat the Patriots you have to commit to a shootout and we get goal to go's and try and slam the ball in to the end zone twice, get stuffed, and then expect Ben to pull something out of his ***. The Patriots on the other hand just say we have a hall of fame QB, you have an average secondary, here it comes, stop it. Refs did not help on a very big fumble call but make no mistake, this was an an absolute *** beating. Again.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Yeah football is a match up game. The Ravens do pretty well against them because they line up and don't give a ****. All they care about is pressure. A TD in 10 plays is still A TD. In fact it's worse than one or two because it chews clock.

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
players are soft...coaching is HORRIBLE.

. just keep hoping for an in game adjustment....but it never comes

oh well. next year is only a few months away.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
No physical play, Tomlin lost on side lines, throws red flag when no ball was visible , stays pat on game plan, never adjusts, lack of concentration by players, poor tackling skills, no coverage skills. As bad as reality hurts, you could go on and on. Myself started with the prima dona Brown and his pretty boy actions on face book last week. Went down hill on first drive by the Pats till embarrassed at end of game.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Yeah football is a match up game. The Ravens do pretty well against them because they line up and don't give a ****. All they care about is pressure. A TD in 10 plays is still A TD. In fact it's worse than one or two because it chews clock.

What their offense does best is what our defense does worst.

Lunar

220, 221 What ever it takes.
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
players are soft...coaching is HORRIBLE.

. just keep hoping for an in game adjustment....but it never comes

oh well. next year is only a few months away.

I adjusted my penis in my underwear a few times.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
True. But **** ya gotta try. I don't give a ****. The only thing to do in that situation is go into the film room and look what does the best against them. And it sure as he'll wasn't what the Steelers did tonight.

In Ben We Trust

Reaction score
I also think it's easy to overanalyze these games too. We all loathe him but Tom Brady is to football what Michael Jordan is to basketball....a once in a lifetime talent. Dude just destroys us.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I adjusted my penis in my underwear a few times.
Simms and Nance did that several times really fast watching Brady

Steelerz99

Forefather
Reaction score
Just a thought... but, and it's a small but at this point, how 'bout 3rd and 1 you just pick up that 1st? I never get the balls out throw down field. Esp when you're just trying to establish the LOS. I have seen that play maybe 10x this year, and only remember the failures. Probably a good indicator to just go w/the flow and be patient. Not a reason for the blowout, but maybe a cause?

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
I also think it's easy to overanalyze these games too. We all loathe him but Tom Brady is to football what Michael Jordan is to basketball....a once in a lifetime talent. Dude just destroys us.

I can't and won't give him that kind of credit. It's easy to look like Montana when your receivers are running wide open and you have 7 seconds to find them. The Steelers D let a one legged nobody run open all game long. Did the defense force a stop after their second series? I think their only drive killers after that were dropped passes.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Until someone can convince me otherwise, but a 6th round draft pick QB and ex-Brown HC sold their souls to the Devil to get where they are. I can't see why Brady can't play for another 5 years with BB guiding that ship. They have the magic script and only a handful of times have a team stopped them. No team in the AFCE has the tools the overtake them.

mdk2

Reaction score
No physical play, Tomlin lost on side lines, throws red flag when no ball was visible , stays pat on game plan, never adjusts, lack of concentration by players, poor tackling skills, no coverage skills. As bad as reality hurts, you could go on and on. Myself started with the prima dona Brown and his pretty boy actions on face book last week. Went down hill on first drive by the Pats till embarrassed at end of game.

I can see your point on some of that stuff, but this? It was clearly a fumble and we recovered it. You're mad he challenged it?

Reactions: GMC

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I just find it so hard to believe that professional coaches could look at the film, know the stats and say yes we should play this defensive scheme. My defensive scheme would be this. I don't care what else happens. We are going to hit that muthafucka in the jaw at least once.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm at a lost on why we used that **** defense to begin with, but then never adjusted. Hell if we are going to drop all our LBs into coverage all night, take Harrison off the field and just replace him with Gilbert or another DB. I think Dupree and Harrison both rushed Brady the same time maybe three times

mdk2

Reaction score
I'm at a lost on why we used that **** defense to begin with, but then never adjusted. Hell if we are going to drop all our LBs into coverage all night, take Harrison off the field and just replace him with Gilbert or another DB. I think Dupree and Harrison both rushed Brady the same time maybe three times

I would have rather blitzed 8 and dropped 3 than vice versa which we seemed to use all damn night. Do something different! Not once did I see our LBs or corners get physical with their WRs at the LOS. I saw their corners and LBs push and hold Eli and AB within the first 5 yards a ton of times.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
I would have rather blitzed 8 and dropped 3 than vice versa which we seemed to use all damn night. Do something different! Not once did I see our LBs or corners get physical with their WRs at the LOS. I saw their corners and LBs push and hold Eli and AB within the first 5 yards a ton of times.
Exactly, we just sat there and tried to do nothing different, hell send a blitz here and there.

JayC

Reaction score
we bend over for the patriots every time and take it. a cowher and tomlin problem. i'm tired of being their *****

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
We play scared against them again

bornafan

Reaction score
I approach every game hoping for the best and believing down to the last seconds that we can/will win (because that is when a lot of our games are actually decided). I also felt pretty damn good about our chances in this game based on talent, momentum and yes, our coaching.

That being said, it was painfully obvious to me , that after we each had about 2 drives, this was not going to be a good game for the Steelers. They seemed to come out flat and cautious on offense. On defense, they were faced with an aggressive no-huddle plan that seemed to take advantage of our week (short, travel, illnesses and critical sleep disrupted the night before the game) and weaknesses (zone and youth).

We had a few glimpses of hope during the first half to keep the game in check, but in reality we were never really in it from the first whistle.

They are a good team. We are a good team. They came with a plan to win a championship and made plays. We showed up with our standard playbook and did not make plays on either side of the ball. I have to believe that they were a bit surprised we made it so easy.

Like I stated, I do feel we really are a good team, but that was a really bad game from a planning and execution standpoint. Devastatingly disappointed....

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
In any sport you never want the officiating to become a deciding outcome of the game.
But I am of the opinion the officiating seemed to remarkably favor the Pats especially in the second half when it began as a one score contest then the wheels fell off and the Steelers never could recover any momentum.
I'm skeptical about some play calling especially 1st and inches to ultimately turn the ball over on downs.
The fumble recovery and other "non-calls". After the booth review it seemed like everyone but whoever makes the decision knew it was a Steelers fumble recovery. I got this creepy feeling that the NFL favors the Falcs- Cheats matchup in a SB?
Conspiracy theory? Maybe, but I'm old and sometimes you just go with your instincts.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ts-belichick-outcoaches-steelers-tomlin-again

It is hard to disagree with this analysis. It is not complete, but fundamentally sound

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

And if Tomlin is going to be the head coach then make the decisions to improve.

Bring in a cover corner in free agency, draft another cover corner.
Bring in a DT that can pressure the QB and then switch schemes along with the canning Butler.

This is a pressure league. Soft zones won't beat great QBs..