• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Officiating

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
How is it I can watch college football and even though they are not perfect they are a 100x more accurate than the NFL? I understand the game is a little quicker but there's no reason why college gets reviews right most of the time and the NFL is literally a crap shoot. At this point I don't think I can watch a live NFL football game again. I much rather TiVo it and watch it without supporting the sponsorships of the NFL or maybe just read about the outcome in the paper the next day.

You had me until this. College officiating is dreadful. How do they get more replays correct? Because they replay every freaking call, most being obvious in regular speed as the play happened.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Wait Ike. Are you suggesting the P*ts made a change in their defensive scheme in the middle of the game? Cause I'm pretty sure that's against the rules. Otherwise don't ya think the Steelers would do it once in awhile?

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to add that because of the officiating my wife has completely bailed on the NFL. I can watch the games without her, either at my friend's house or after she goes to bed. She doesn't want this wwe bullshit in her view.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Sure, there were some bad calls, non calls etc. That happens in every game. We left plays on the field offensively (coats, hamilton) and the play calling on 1st and goal from the half yard line series was some of the worst Ive seen Haley call. Our defensive game plan was basically this: play timid and hope the offense can out score them. How many times do we have to lose to these ******** before the coaches will understand that a zone defense DOES NOT WORK AGAINST BRADY1

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to add that because of the officiating my wife has completely bailed on the NFL. I can watch the games without her, either at my friend's house or after she goes to bed. She doesn't want this wwe bullshit in her view.

ok? so then tell her to go wait outside while you watch the game. either that or get back in the kitchen.

JayC

Reaction score
there were plenty of reasons why we lost, but the brady fumble was certainly one of them near the top of my list. thanks ref

Reactions: MTC

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Wait Ike. Are you suggesting the P*ts made a change in their defensive scheme in the middle of the game? Cause I'm pretty sure that's against the rules. Otherwise don't ya think the Steelers would do it once in awhile?

Nope not against the rules. They adjusted, we didn't. Allowed those crossing routes and middle field curls. I think the game plan was trying to keep everything in front of the DBs and still try to get pressure. Obviously Golden's lack of awareness and Mitchell peeking into the backfield on the flea flicker gave them 14 easy points.

When Bell went out, it was easy to guess, they were going to collapse on AB and force Ben to beat them with the other receivers. Eli played well, except for the fumble. The majority of the dropped passes (by Coates) killed drives and or scores. DWill I hope comes back. He is still productive and steady in demeanor.

Tough loss, but hopefully these guys will have that acid taste in their mouth all offseason to focus on getting back.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

steelpastor

Reaction score

Ike,

I believe Wig was jesting.

BTW... HUGE P-38 fan here. I've seen a few at air shows through the years. I lived in Santa Maria, CA for many years and saw "White Lightning" many times before the crash. (Also really dig the P-47!)

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
it is common knowledge that the refs put the whistles away come playoff time. the stats support this. good coaches adjust to this.

Exactly.

The league doesn't want as many fouls called and wants the games to be decided by the play of the teams. If you don't want there to be issues where the Refs are costing you games play well enough that they aren't a factor. The only call in that game that really hurt us is the reversal of the Brady fumble.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
A significant part of what makes the Patsies a tough opponent is that their coach knows that refs cannot call holding - offensive or defensive - nearly as much as it occurs. Not even close.

So they teach their tackles to hold the pass rushers, and their defensive backs to grab and hold receivers. Happens every game for that team.

Every. Freaking. Game.

This season, Munchak got the offensive line to employ a lot more "aggressive" (holding) pass protection, and the result was Ben getting sacked fewer times than ever. However, the defensive plan to have CB's 5-10 yards off the LOS makes the "hold the *******" concept impossible to deploy.

They may coach holding there, but they are smart about it. On O, if your hands are inside, you can grab all you want. Refs can't see it.

Same with the D backs. Grab them at the point where they first get to you, do it quickly and you will get positioning over the WR.

The PI **** was pissing me off. Want to know why Coats couldn't extend his arm to catch that first long ball? The DB hit his arm early so he couldn't extend. That is PI.