• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Officiating

FordFairLane

Reaction score
The thing is I'm not even mad at the outcome. If that was a perfectly called game the Steelers still almost certainly lose. You can't leave a guy wide open twice in the end zone and expect to win. My problem was there were blatant non calls all game long. I don't know if it's the fact everyone has a 55+ inch 4K television in their living room with TiVo now vs 25 years ago when you had to squint your eyes at a 27" tube console but I can watch a game and see bullshit after bullshit on any game. It got so bad last year that I had to quit watching non Steelers games because I was getting pissed watching a game I had no actual interest in the outcome of. I have serious questions about the integrity of the NFL and ever since our new commissioner has taken over what's the actual motivation. I feel he's a puppet of the owners and in his attempts to gather higher ratings has actually backfired as people are witnessing such horrendous officiating they'd rather spend Sunday at a movie, bowling, or watching Netflix than to watch the horrible product they are putting on the field.

How is it I can watch college football and even though they are not perfect they are a 100x more accurate than the NFL? I understand the game is a little quicker but there's no reason why college gets reviews right most of the time and the NFL is literally a crap shoot. At this point I don't think I can watch a live NFL football game again. I much rather TiVo it and watch it without supporting the sponsorships of the NFL or maybe just read about the outcome in the paper the next day.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Full time officials and a developmental program that trains players out of college that are not good enough to make it in the NFL and transitions them into officiating. Now you have 60 year old guys trying to keep up with 22 year old world class athletes. Pretty bad when NFL players in the middle of a play can call a play better than officials that are standing 10' away.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
We lost because we played and coached poorly. That being said There were numerous defensive holding calls that were missed or worse blatantly ignored and Deebo was back to the usual getting tackled every other play. The non fumble should have been overturned even though on my first look I thought it was a bad challenge the later angles showed he fumbled and gravedigger came out of the pile with the ball. It is not inconceivable that the game may have gone differently had the refs done there ******* job.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I really don't understand how the Steelers didn't get the Brady fumble. I mean, you could clearly see the ball come out, and then Hargrave on it. AND he has the damn ball in his hand? I don't think that changes the outcome, but you never know.

Joe

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
we weren't good enough. we won't BE good enough until we change our defensive philosophy. All the Tomlinisms, draft picks, free agents in the world, it won't matter a bit if we have to play the patriots in the postseason. Not a bit.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I really don't understand how the Steelers didn't get the Brady fumble. I mean, you could clearly see the ball come out, and then Hargrave on it. AND he has the damn ball in his hand? I don't think that changes the outcome, but you never know.

Joe

How they could "Confirm the call on the field" is stupid. Had they said the QB fumbled the ball but there was not a clear recovery I could live with that.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I thought there was some pretty graby stuff down field, but if there going to get away from that then you do the same. Play to the way the game is being called. I would like a full explanation of the fumble by the league. It seemed to me the ref set up his call before he even looked at the replay when he said Pittsburgh is challenging the call on the field of a fumble and clear recovery WTF does that mean. Every Fumble there is a scrum and guys are lurching at the ball. You literally Never can clearly tell who recovered the ball initially. That is football 101.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm not blaming the officials at all, but there was defensive holding so many times, I thought it was the 2003 AFCCG vs the Colts again. The Coates drop early for a big gain, look at that play again, their DB is grabbing and holding his right arm back right up until the ball gets there, clear PI, but no call.

FordFairLane

Reaction score

strat68

Reaction score
Full time officials and a developmental program that trains players out of college that are not good enough to make it in the NFL and transitions them into officiating. Now you have 60 year old guys trying to keep up with 22 year old world class athletes. Pretty bad when NFL players in the middle of a play can call a play better than officials that are standing 10' away.

I doubt full time officials will improve things. I work with one and unless they make the referee salary close to half a million with great benefits most of them will quit. I do agree that some of the old guys need to go. I still can't believe Pete Morelli still get playoff games.

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
The Pats* Dbs look great when they can grab jersey on every receiver on every goddamn play.

The pats and seahawks do this all the time with no calls. It's why they're good. Other teams don't get away with it. That said, you have to be within 10 yards of a guy to grab him. That's not the refs' fault.

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
Officiating had nothing to do with the beat down we took. Neither did the injury to Bell.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt full time officials will improve things. I work with one and unless they make the referee salary close to half a million with great benefits most of them will quit. I do agree that some of the old guys need to go. I still can't believe Pete Morelli still get playoff games.

Let all of them quit, bring in former college players, train them, and offer full time positions. You get rid of half the guys that are over 50 trying to keep up with world class athletes.

FordFairLane

Reaction score

Perfect! That is what we probably need. These guys make 170k for 17, 3 hour days of work and they won't quit their full time gig for that. GOOD ******* RIDDANCE! Imagine if you had refs that required to put in even 500 hours of training a year and then 500 hours personal fitness and then the actual game time. So for a .5 job you make a nice 6 figure salary. Sign me up!

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Officiating had nothing to do with the beat down we took. Neither did the injury to Bell.

I disagree to the beat down part. I agree we'd had likely lose the game regardless but they would not have beat us down. I say that game would have been within 7 if they called a fair game. I am not talking about losing I am not even upset about that but the one sided game was just awful to watch. My wife who doesn't watch football even asked at one point if guys are allowed to pull on arms and jerseys when the receiver is trying to catch the ball. WTF! Pay her six figures a year she can do the job better than these chumps!

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
A significant part of what makes the Patsies a tough opponent is that their coach knows that refs cannot call holding - offensive or defensive - nearly as much as it occurs. Not even close.

So they teach their tackles to hold the pass rushers, and their defensive backs to grab and hold receivers. Happens every game for that team.

Every. Freaking. Game.

This season, Munchak got the offensive line to employ a lot more "aggressive" (holding) pass protection, and the result was Ben getting sacked fewer times than ever. However, the defensive plan to have CB's 5-10 yards off the LOS makes the "hold the *******" concept impossible to deploy.

cphill

Reaction score
we weren't good enough. we won't BE good enough until we change our defensive philosophy. All the Tomlinisms, draft picks, free agents in the world, it won't matter a bit if we have to play the patriots in the postseason. Not a bit.

Yep......

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That said, you have to be within 10 yards of a guy to grab him. That's not the refs' fault.
unless they got some long motherfuckin' arms...

ark steel

Reaction score

Joe

That was a big swing in momentum, IMO. We may still lose, but not get blasted. who knows.

ark steel

Reaction score
I cant believe anyone thinks the injury to bell did not affect the game. Maybe, still a loss, but I don't think the extent of the beat down.

I was pretty sure that game should shut people the **** up about Bell being "replaceable" with the remotest chance of reasonably close output.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
It very well could have. But I don't think he was running big. They stacked against the run. I still think they would have lost. NE had a defensive game plan the Steelers did not.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Bell going out changed NE's defensive game plan. They were double spying Bell at the LOS. Leaving AB on single press coverage. Once Bell went out, they changed to bracketing AB with two guys. And make Ben try to beat them by throwing to other receivers. DWill did ok as a runner, but doesn't have the elements Bell brings.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app