• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

NFL 2023 draft simulator

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
At his best better than Heyward??? Man that 2017 playoff game when they ran at Tuitt all game long proves otherwise.
I'll double down on that. When Tuitt was playing at the top of his game, he was flat out dominate. The problem is he didn't always play at the top of his game.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Which draft would you pick? The goal of each was to get an OT, WR, DL, and CB. Of note, Draft C was the only time that a top-3 cornerback fell to 1.17. Also, Johnson and Skoronski never made it to my pick in the first.

DRAFT A
1.17 Jordan Addison, WR, USC
2.32 Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland
2.49 Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State
3.80 Keeanu Benton, IDL, Wisconsin

DRAFT B
1.17 Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia
2.32 Mazi Smith, IDL, Michigan
2.49 Josh Downs, WR, UNC
3.80 Garrett Williams, CB, Syracuse

DRAFT C
1.17 Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State
2.32 Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee
2.49 Kayshon Boutte, WR, LSU
3.80 Jaquelin Roy, IDL, LSU

DRAFT D
1.17 Lucas Van Ness, DL, Iowa
2.32 Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State
2.49 Jaelyn Duncan, OT, Maryland
3.80 Nathaniel Dell, WR, Houston

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Which draft would you pick? The goal of each was to get an OT, WR, DL, and CB. Of note, Draft C was the only time that a top-3 cornerback fell to 1.17. Also, Johnson and Skoronski never made it to my pick in the first.

DRAFT A

DRAFT B
2.49 Josh Downs, WR, UNC

DRAFT C

DRAFT D
Man I went back n forth, back n forth and finally settled on A. My reasoning is it probably has the highest chance of accumulating the most starters.

Not big on Duncan, and Boutte which detoured those columns. Also thought 33 was a little high for Mazi.

So that was my thinking behind my final decide.

High on

Van
Wright
Jones
and Addison.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

DRAFT A

DRAFT B
2.49 Josh Downs, WR, UNC

DRAFT C

DRAFT D
I think I would fire you hehe, just kidding but really forcing the picks to those 4 positions leave you in a bad place. I'd rather have a good C or G at 2.49 than OT Duncan. Same goes for WR, **** them when we are in dire need of IOL and LB too, WR can wait til the 4th round.

The only WR I liked at their respective spot was Addison. A gun to my head I'd go with option A, looks like the less reachy of them all.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tuitt was too inconsistent. He would disappear for huge chunks of games. He is not in the same league as Cam. Cam gives 100% on every play.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

DRAFT A

DRAFT B
2.49 Josh Downs, WR, UNC

DRAFT C

DRAFT D

I would go with A. D would be my choice but Dell is a copy of Austin III. If both were in this draft, would you take Dell with 80 and Austin III with 119? Well there you go then. If you ignore the mock draft rankings and go with the WR who gets open, has good hands and could be an excellent Y or even the X in a crunch, then select Jayden Reed or Dontayvion Wicks.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll double down on that. When Tuitt was playing at the top of his game, he was flat out dominate. The problem is he didn't always play at the top of his game.
Well he clearly couldn't stay on the field, too many injuries for his short career. Shame he stepped away but respect his family situation. Heyward was just better for so much longer. We're talking a HOF caliber guy who is right there for the most sacks in team history with Watt although TJ will clearly destroy that number. Heyward is a HOF'r now. Tuitt was never that caliber guy. He was good, but he was not dominant. Rewatch that Jax loss and tell me Tuitt is better than Heyward. Fournette ran right at Tuitt all game, not Heyward.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
  • PIT

Broderick Jones
    OT Georgia

• PIT

Siaki Ika
    DT Baylor
    trade icon
  • PIT

Emmanuel Forbes
    CB Mississippi State

• PIT

Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa

• PIT

Dontayvion Wicks
    WR Virginia

• PIT

Karl Brooks
    DT Bowling Green

• PIT

Jarret Doege
    QB Troy

• 2024 IND 3rd
  • 2024 LAR 3rd
So get a CB I really like, an elite LT, a massive, agile NT, a solid ILB, a very talented WR, and two later round guys who are worth a shot. Also two valuable 3rd round picks as part of the draft.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
  • PIT

Bryan Bresee
    DT Clemson

• PIT

O'Cyrus Torrence
    OG Florida

• PIT

Cody Mauch
    OT North Dakota State

• PIT

John Michael Schmitz
    OC Minnesota

• PIT

Ronnie Hickman
    S Ohio State

• PIT

Michael Jefferson
    WR Louisiana

• PIT

Bumper Pool
    LB Arkansas

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think I would fire you hehe, just kidding but really forcing the picks to those 4 positions leave you in a bad place. I'd rather have a good C or G at 2.49 than OT Duncan. Same goes for WR, **** them when we are in dire need of IOL and LB too, WR can wait til the 4th round.

The only WR I liked at their respective spot was Addison. A gun to my head I'd go with option A, looks like the less reachy of them all.
It was just a draft exercise to compare players of the same position. Every other mock draft is taking the best guys available and it gets boring doing the same thing every time.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Well he clearly couldn't stay on the field, too many injuries for his short career. Shame he stepped away but respect his family situation. Heyward was just better for so much longer. We're talking a HOF caliber guy who is right there for the most sacks in team history with Watt although TJ will clearly destroy that number. Heyward is a HOF'r now. Tuitt was never that caliber guy. He was good, but he was not dominant. Rewatch that Jax loss and tell me Tuitt is better than Heyward. Fournette ran right at Tuitt all game, not Heyward.
Again, I'm not talking about consistent play or a game against Jacksonville. Back when both were playing, Tuitt had a level of dominance above Heyward. He wasn't consistent with it, but he level of play was absolutely elite. Since Tuitt retired, Heyward has really stepped up his game and established himself as the second best IDL behind Aaron Donald. Five years ago, Tuitt's ceiling was incredible. If he had the same desire and work ethic as Heyward, he also would've been on a Hall of Fame track.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
At his best better than Heyward??? Man that 2017 playoff game when they ran at Tuitt all game long proves otherwise.
No Tuitt was absolutely more talented than Heyward on a technical level. he simply got hurt a ton and ultimately lost his drive to play. There was a reason they didn’t even blink giving him money over Hargrave…

Steelmann

Reaction score
Again, I'm not talking about consistent play or a game against Jacksonville. Back when both were playing, Tuitt had a level of dominance above Heyward. He wasn't consistent with it, but he level of play was absolutely elite. Since Tuitt retired, Heyward has really stepped up his game and established himself as the second best IDL behind Aaron Donald. Five years ago, Tuitt's ceiling was incredible. If he had the same desire and work ethic as Heyward, he also would've been on a Hall of Fame track.
Regarding Last sentence of yours. ......... but he didn’t. So he isn’t. Too many if’s.
And because of all those if’s,he’s not even in the same league as Cameron Heyward.
Not even close.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Regarding Last sentence of yours. ......... but he didn’t. So he isn’t. Too many if’s.
And because of all those if’s,he’s not even in the same league as Cameron Heyward.
Not even close.
Again, missing my point. Nowhere did I say Tuitt an overall better player or I'd take Tuitt over Heyward.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
PFF Draft. Got the best players available, mixed in need when picking Jones and Benton. Dell available even at 80 but said, "No thanks." Sorry Coolie.

17. Lukas Van Ness Edge Iowa
32. Deonte Banks CB Maryland
49. Dawand Jones OT THE Ohio State
80. Keeanu Benton DT Wisconsin
120. Byron Young Edge Tennessee
236. Luke Schoonmaker TE Michigan
243. Richard Gouriage OT Florida

Yeah, I doubled up on pass rusher and OT but the value was just too good to pass up. I also believe that Van Ness is going to be on the field 40+ snaps/game his rookie season, playing as backup/rest for both OLB and also quite a few plays as Buck ILB. He takes over for Highsmith in 2024 and is an elite pass rusher at ROLB. Admittedly, he is going to have to be protected from being put in pass coverage with a basic zone look but he will BLOW UP running plays and would be a force on blitzes. Banks elite skills, needs to get a lot better in zone coverage. Spends too much time guarding grass. Jones a potential elite RT, Benton will be a force at 0 or 1 tech.

Last edited:

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
PFF Draft. Got the best players available, mixed in need when picking Jones and Benton. Dell available even at 80 but said, "No thanks." Sorry Coolie.

17. Lukas Van Ness Edge Iowa
32. Deonte Banks CB Maryland
49. Dawand Jones OT THE Ohio State
80. Keeanu Benton DT Wisconsin
120. Byron Young Edge Tennessee
236. Luke Schoonmaker TE Michigan
243. Richard Gouriage OT Florida

Yeah, I doubled up on pass rusher and OT but the value was just too good to pass up. I also believe that Van Ness is going to be on the field 40+ snaps/game his rookie season, playing as backup/rest for both OLB and also quite a few plays as Buck ILB. He takes over for Highsmith in 2024 and is an elite pass rusher at ROLB. Admittedly, he is going to have to be protected from being put in pass coverage with a basic zone look but he will BLOW UP running plays and would be a force on blitzes. Banks elite skills, needs to get a lot better in zone coverage. Spends too much time guarding grass. Jones a potential elite RT, Benton will be a force at 0 or 1 tech.
Just got van Ness, Harrison, Benton, Ricks, Pappoe in this simulator

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just got van Ness, Harrison, Benton, Ricks, Pappoe in this simulator

Definitely takes the D to elite level. I think Van Ness is going to be a force and Benton very disruptive. Pappoe is what the Steelers hoped Marcus Allen would turn into - lightning-quick ILB to cover RB and TE but not a complete waste of space against the run.

Defense now has at least four big-time playmakers (Watt, Minkah, Heyward, Van Ness) with Benton, Pappoe threatening to join that club.

Papa Lazarou

Reaction score
    Bryan Bresee
    DT Clemson

• PIT

Lukas Van Ness
    EDGE Iowa

• PIT

Jack Campbell
    LB Iowa

• PIT

Julius Brents
    CB Kansas State

• PIT

Andrew Vorhees
    OG USC

• PIT

Josh Whyle
    TE Cincinnati

• PIT

Anthony Johnson
    CB Virginia

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I cant help but think whom ever s there at 17, we are going to draft a OT. Got to protect our franchise QB