• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

More evidence that fans are overly emotional and fickle

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
the guy was not supposed to be grabbing for the ball...he was there to block so Nelson could grab the ball..he tried doing more than his job and it cost his team.
Which is why you call the timeout. I don't care about professionals or not. These are humans and it is a pressure packed situation. You call the timeout and go through everyone's responsibilities. Leave nothing to chance. The time between the point that Seattle could have kicked off and did was as short as it could be. Why? You want confusion and uncertainty in that situation..

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Which is why you call the timeout. I don't care about professionals or not. These are humans and it is a pressure packed situation. You call the timeout and go through everyone's responsibilities. Leave nothing to chance. The time between the point that Seattle could have kicked off and did was as short as it could be. Why? You want confusion and uncertainty in that situation..

I bet they have practiced onside kick recovery 500 times in the past year. Not many coaches would think it's necessary to call a time out to go over it for the 501st time. If they don't know it by know they aren't ever going to.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
And all this just proves that coaching doesn't have as much of a impact as most fans here think it does. Its 95% determined by players. So if anyone wants to point fingers after a loss they should start there. Fans over react all the time.

///// dead

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
The guy who muffed the onsides was supposed to block for Nelson. He ****** up and went after the ball. The player made a mistake. That aside, that very first drive where you turtle at the one foot line and don't go for it set the tone for them. They gave you a gift and you took three instead of punching it in? Evidently he didn't believe in Lacy's great short yardage running, or his defense's ability to prevent a 99 1/2 yard drive had they failed.

How about being completely unprepared for the fake punt? Either way, they lost when they were in the drivers seat up 16-0 at the half with one of the best QB's in the game running their offense. Coaching had nothing to do with it though.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
And all this just proves that coaching doesn't have as much of a impact as most fans here think it does. Its 95% determined by players. So if anyone wants to point fingers after a loss they should start there. Fans over react all the time.
So why do some win more consistently over the long term and are paid substantially more. And others like say Marvin Lewis have now had two very good teams and have won zero playoff games. Coincidence?

Steelz

Reaction score
So why do some win more consistently over the long term and are paid substantially more. And others like say Marvin Lewis have now had two very good teams and have won zero playoff games. Coincidence?

Nope. Look at the QBs that's where it start. Better players win games. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Wilson, Lucks's going to win over Dalton every time in big games. Some player choke and some don't.

ark steel

Reaction score
.......yeah I liked the one and done that showed improvement.

well, over a none and done, it sure does seem like an improvement. Might as well have gone 0-16, I guess.

LeXX75

Contributor
Reaction score

They just scored...you had all the commercial break to go over it..they practice for that stuff all week...there should be no need for timeout..those 3 TO's a half are gonna go pretty quick if u have to use one at every pressure packed situation.Just a simple case of 1 player trying to do too much..you wanna say a TO would have fixed that ....ok sure...and what happens if they needed that TO later and didn't have it..then you get the why did he take that TO crowd..

steelermania

Reaction score

Well, with regard to Lewis, the problem is at quarterback. He had a pretty good one the one year, and the Steelers solved that problem by blowing out his knee as he was carving us up. They might be able to find a better coach, but looking at their track record in the period between Paul Brown's death, and Lewis' arrival, and considering who their owner is, I rather doubt it. Winning starts at the ownership level. Art Rooney was a great man, but a terrible owner. When his son took over, you see what happened. In Cincy, it's been the reverse. I'm not sure that Lewis hasn't worked a miracle by making them as good as they are. Jeff Fisher could never get the Titans over the hump, but now that he's gone, they can't even see the hump it's so far away.

I

Idioteque

And if the players suck, or wallow in mediocrity.. isn't it then fair to question those who brought them all in?

Steelz

Reaction score
And if the players suck, or wallow in mediocrity.. isn't it then fair to question those who brought them all in?

Yes it is. BUT its not all 100% the head coaches decision who gets brought in. Say for instance Dri Archer, when he was drafted EVERYONE knew it was Todd Haleys call. This is the type of player he uses. Now say our linebackers, since Lebeau was our DC we needed to bring in players that fit his schemes. Players that are athletic enough to drop back into coverage. Same with our CBs, players who can play 10-15 yards off the line of scrimmage. So it's really on the entire coaching staff who gets brought in. Sometimes even owners dabble in on who they want and Don't want brought in.

Last edited:

SCSteeler4life

Contributor
Reaction score
Better fire McCarthy and his staff, the guy that screwed up the onside kick sucked and so did the whole team on the fake FG. Wonder who brought these losers in?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Well, with regard to Lewis, the problem is at quarterback. He had a pretty good one the one year, and the Steelers solved that problem by blowing out his knee as he was carving us up. They might be able to find a better coach, but looking at their track record in the period between Paul Brown's death, and Lewis' arrival, and considering who their owner is, I rather doubt it. Winning starts at the ownership level. Art Rooney was a great man, but a terrible owner. When his son took over, you see what happened. In Cincy, it's been the reverse. I'm not sure that Lewis hasn't worked a miracle by making them as good as they are. Jeff Fisher could never get the Titans over the hump, but now that he's gone, they can't even see the hump it's so far away.
do some of you even read what you write in the context of where it is written. You are talking about the necessity of QB play in a thread about a team that won, with literally ZERO Quarterback play in all but the final 4 minutes of the game. Cripes some of you are thick.

Steelz

Reaction score
do some of you even read what you write in the context of where it is written. You are talking about the necessity of QB play in a thread about a team that won, with literally ZERO Quarterback play in all but the final 4 minutes of the game. Cripes some of you are thick.
He answered your question. Its the QB. Dalton's QB play in the playoffs are holding them back. If they had Russell Wilson or any other current playoff QB with the talent they have in Cincy right now they'd be winning. Like what's been repeated for the 100000 time, the coach can't do everything himself. They have to depend on their playmakers.

Last edited:

Steel G

Reaction score
Repeat - the Pack scored 6 freaking points off 4 turnovers. But for those turnovers, the Packers put up a whopping 13 points. I just don't understand why anybody believes that McCarthy's team "put the brakes on the offense." The Seattle defense handled the Packers' offense, as evidenced by the fact that Rogers had all of 142 yards passing before the final drive.

No question, as the Hawk offense was choking like dogs, their D was keeping them in the game. Said it at the time of the 4th turnover, you can't have just 6 points from 4 turnovers. Just can't.

And with 5 minutes to go, a crazy series of events ensued that really magnified the problem of not cashing in on those turnovers:

The dude that slides down after the INT (at the time, I suppose he thought it was a good idea or maybe was being told to slide)
Packer O going crazy conservative.
Giving up the play on the sideline to Lynch.
The onside kick being successful.
That ridiculous 2 point play that had about a .000001% chance of being successful and yet it was.
Losing the coin toss for OT
Giving up the long pass that won the game in OT.

Have to say, I don't think I've ever seen a game lost like that. I've seen a lot of crazy losses and comebacks and that one was just like nothing I'd ever seen.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Pack was beating Seattle in a way they had not been beaten in their own house. I think a sense of playing not to blow it set in and it's exactly what they did.

It started with the downed interception with 5:00 and 3 Seattle time outs left up by two scores. That's like taking a knee with 7:30 left and no time outs. Too conservative too soon.

steelermania

Reaction score

This is true, but it never seems to matter to the folks who want to give Cowher a pass for all his failures, that the sorry quarterbacks that held him back were his guys. If Neil, Kordell, and Maddox were the reasons for our failures, then why wasn't it Cowher's fault for us not having better guys at the most important position?

steelermania

Reaction score
Pack was beating Seattle in a way they had not been beaten in their own house. I think a sense of playing not to blow it set in and it's exactly what they did.

It started with the downed interception with 5:00 and 3 Seattle time outs left up by two scores. That's like taking a knee with 7:30 left and no time outs. Too conservative too soon.

It reminded me of the guy in Dallas who late in the game with Detroit, tried to run with the ball after a turnover, and fumbled the ball back to Detroit. He was called every kind of idiot in the book for not staying down. I wonder if the Packer player saw it, and was afraid that he might fumble if he tried to run with the ball. You all know that had he run with the ball, and then fumbled, he would be considered the goat for not staying down. Had GB moved the ball, and eaten up the clock, everyone would be considering that a smart play. As a coach once said, "the wrong play is the one that doesn't work".

Supersteeler

Reaction score
This is true, but it never seems to matter to the folks who want to give Cowher a pass for all his failures, that the sorry quarterbacks that held him back were his guys. If Neil, Kordell, and Maddox were the reasons for our failures, then why wasn't it Cowher's fault for us not having better guys at the most important position?

This should be interesting.....

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
He answered your question. Its the QB. Dalton's QB play in the playoffs are holding them back. If they had Russell Wilson or any other current playoff QB with the talent they have in Cincy right now they'd be winning. Like what's been repeated for the 100000 time, the coach can't do everything himself. They have to depend on their playmakers.
You could repeat it 1 000 000 times. Show me where Andy Dalton or Carson Palmer had a worse game then Russell Wilson did yesterday. Once! He was under 50% passing and threw 4 interceptions. Yet they won. If Marvin Lewis could coach you would think on a day when his QB played an ok game. Just ****** OK, he would have won one friggen game. He is 0-6. That tells me that he can beat the ****, but when he plays any team of substance he is out of his league. Marvin Lewis could stay in this league for another 10 years and he would still be winless in the playoffs. The Bengals keeping him around really shows why they are the *****.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
It reminded me of the guy in Dallas who late in the game with Detroit, tried to run with the ball after a turnover, and fumbled the ball back to Detroit. He was called every kind of idiot in the book for not staying down. I wonder if the Packer player saw it, and was afraid that he might fumble if he tried to run with the ball. You all know that had he run with the ball, and then fumbled, he would be considered the goat for not staying down. Had GB moved the ball, and eaten up the clock, everyone would be considering that a smart play. As a coach once said, "the wrong play is the one that doesn't work".

The two situations are hardly comparable. If the Dallas player just falls down, the game IS over. The Green Bay player picked the ball off with five minutes to go in a 12 point game, with no Seattle players in the same zipcode as him. He acted like the game was over, a mentality probably shared by most of his teammates at that moment.

There's a GREAT chance he advances the ball into FG range, or even scores, if he runs with it.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Lets blame it on Rodgers only limping at the end of his run out of bounds. I think he saw the TV and wanted Aikman to comment one more time on his pore bobo.