• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Missed tackle report week 5

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
BY JOSH CARNEY OCTOBER 13, 2016 AT 07:30 AM
All things considered, Week 5 against the New York Jets was a great week for the Pittsburgh Steelers in nearly every facet of the game.

One area that really took a major leap was the tackling by the defense, which had a rough go of things in that department to start the year.

Total missed tackles against the Jets: 8

Ross Cockrell — 2
James Harrison — 1
Stephon Tuitt — 1
Jordan Dangerfield — 1
Anthony Chickillo — 1
Ricardo Mathews — 1
Vince Williams — 1

Total missed tackles in 2016: 59

Defensive Missed Tackles

Sean Davis — 9
Artie Burns — 6
Mike Mitchell — 6
Stephon Tuitt — 6
Lawrence Timmons — 4
Ryan Shazier — 4
William Gay — 4
Ross Cockrell — 4
Vince Williams — 4
Arthur Moats — 1
Robert Golden — 1
Cameron Heyward — 1
LJ Fort — 1
Jarvis Jones — 1
Anthony Chickillo — 1
Jordan Dangerfield — 1
Ricardo Mathews — 1

Special Teams Missed Tackles

Steven Johnson — 1
Sammie Coates — 1
Tyler Matakevich — 1
Justin Gilbert — 1

Based on the eight missed tackles from Sunday’s game against the Jets, it was a solid performance across the board from a banged-up defense.

Ross Cockrell drew the tough task once again of trying to shut down the opposing team’s No. 1 receiver. This week it was Brandon Marshall, and Cockrell certainly held his own.

Against Marshall, Cockrell didn’t allow a catch over 20 yards and missed just two tackles against a powerful receiver. Cockrell’s missed tackle weren’t very notable, so I won’t spend time looking at them because they didn’t go for big plays.

What I really want to look at though were the missed tackles on sack attempts by both Stephon Tuitt and Ricardo Matthews. The Steelers got to Ryan Fitzpatrick three times on the day, but they should have had five in the win as both Tuitt and Matthews got hands on Fitzpatrick but just couldn’t finish the play.

Lets look at Tuitt’s first.

At the snap, Tuitt cleanly beats New York right tackle Ben Ijalana and tight end Kellen Davis to get a clean run at Fitzpatrick in the pocket.

By getting such a free run at the QB, Tuitt goes just a bit too far up the field in the pocket, allowing Fitzpatrick to climb the pocket quickly, forcing Tuitt to lung and get a hand on his hip.

That’s not going to be enough to get a guy like Fitzpatrick on the ground.

This type of play from Tuitt isn’t the first time I’ve seen this from him. It’s almost like he’s caught off guard as to how easily he gets into the backfield at times and can’t slow himself down to take the right angle to the quarterback.

Fortunately for Tuitt, the missed sack didn’t come back to hurt the Steelers on the play. In fact, one play later Lawrence Timmons and Arthur Moats teamed up to sack Fitzpatrick.

Later on in the game Ricardo Mathews had ahold of Fitzpatrick’s leg in the pocket but couldn’t finish the play with the Steelers up 31-13 late in the fourth quarter. Vince Williams got a hand on Fitzpatrick as well.

At the snap, the Steelers front seven is able to pin their ears back trying to get to Fitzpatrick in the pocket with a big lead and very little time left in the game.

Mathews has to work around James Carpenter and then Ryan Clady before finding himself in the pocket with Fitzpatrick stepping up towards him due to great pressure from Williams on the blitz.

It appears as if Williams is off balance before falling while trying to bring down Fitzpatrick, but with Matthews he has a clean shot at Fitzpatrick and simply can’t finish the play.

Credit to Fitzpatrick though, as the veteran kept fighting in the game and showed good lower body strength to step through those sack attempts.

Overall, Sunday was a really good performance from the defense in terms of scoring, yardage and solid tackling. If they can continue to build off of this performance and start to put together consistent performances week after week, the Steelers could be a dangerous team that nobody wants to play down the stretch.

Gifs in the link below

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/10/steelers-vs-jets-missed-tackles-report/

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
that can't be right, you mean there are no missed tackles by Sean Davis or Artie Burns?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
that can't be right, you mean there are no missed tackles by Sean Davis or Artie Burns?

If you re-watch the game actually all missed tackles were by Davis or Burns.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
If you re-watch the game actually all missed tackles were by Davis or Burns.

I saw Daivs miss one, the other guy further back made the tackle, he only made contact. The stat guy may not count that as a missed tackle.

Davis did miss one game, but still leads the team in missed tackles, and I think his 1 pass defended ( vs the jets ) is last among our DB's with a similar amount of snap counts. While it was nice to see him finally make a play on the ball, the negatives outweigh the positives so far.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I saw Daivs miss one, the other guy further back made the tackle, he only made contact. The stat guy may not count that as a missed tackle.

Davis did miss one game, but still leads the team in missed tackles, and I think his 1 pass defended ( vs the jets ) is last among our DB's with a similar amount of snap counts. While it was nice to see him finally make a play on the ball, the negatives outweigh the positives so far.

Smh you typed all of that to avoid saying Davis is playing better

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Smh you typed all of that to avoid saying Davis is playing better

He had his best game vs a lousy jets team that was in a hole and we knew had to pass with one of their best WR's out ( Decker ) for the game. Davis could not be playing much worse. If I see more fo the same, good. Yes he played better last week. But the other three weeks he played he did not.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Vince Williams and Lawrence Timmons are tied with 4 missed. Some here think Timmons never makes a tackle????

Salute the nation

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
He had his best game vs a lousy jets team that was in a hole and we knew had to pass with one of their best WR's out ( Decker ) for the game. Davis could not be playing much worse. If I see more fo the same, good. Yes he played better last week. But the other three weeks he played he did not.

Smh there is no one here who will agree with that. Chickillo sack also came against a lousy Jets team. I don't see you bringing that up in the Chick and Jones film thread.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't see Davis miss a tackle. I sure did see Chickillo miss one. Good thing his team got penetration to bail him out.

See Coach, this is how you type.

GRBman

Reaction score
Vince Williams and Lawrence Timmons are tied with 4 missed. Some here think Timmons never makes a tackle????

Salute the nation

Its not that he never makes tackles...dude misses A LOT. Does it count as a missed tackle if Timmons just goes flying by the runner and never touches him?

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Its not that he never makes tackles...dude misses A LOT. Does it count as a missed tackle if Timmons just goes flying by the runner and never touches him?

yes it does

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I'm not the one counting the stat(s). I was mearly comparing to Timmons apparent future replacement. Many here have indicated Lawtence Timmons misses more than he makes, tackles that is. As you can see, that is truly not the case.

Salute the nation

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
It was not uncommon for Polamalu to be in double digits for missed tackles on a season.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
It was not uncommon for Polamalu to be in double digits for missed tackles on a season.

Well Coach told us he was bust from the beginning. And he was correct on that one too..Lu will have a bust soon

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

He would never "tie up" but some how found other ways to contribute. Was he a bust, I think not..... Now if he would have gotten a hair cut, he could have gotten in a lot closer so as not to miss the tackle. All about the hair..............!!!

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

......Whatever lenses you are looking through need cleaning. Davis has had 2 missed tackles in 3 games played since game one. Two missed tackles since the second week in September. Spin it as much as you want. I'll even go so far as to say he really only played in two games with snaps in one game coming from limited Special Teams participation because of his injury and still being Active on gameday. In any case, your observations are flawed by simple logic.

GRBman

Reaction score
I'm not the one counting the stat(s). I was mearly comparing to Timmons apparent future replacement. Many here have indicated Lawtence Timmons misses more than he makes, tackles that is. As you can see, that is truly not the case.

Salute the nation

Yeah, even I wouldn't go that far... He makes more than he misses, but he misses a lot more than what I would expect from our #1 MLB. Just watching the games I see Timmons fly past runners at a rate that is infuriating. I don't count them up...

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Missed Tackles Report: Steelers Vs Dolphins

BY JOSH CARNEY OCTOBER 19, 2016 AT 08:00 AM
Sunday’s game in Miami was dreadful by all accounts, but perhaps the most frustrating part of the game — at least for me — was the putrid tackling display presented by the Pittsburgh Steelers against the Miami Dolphins.

Oftentimes the Steelers defense made Jay Ajayi look like a young Adrian Peterson during a game in which he ran for 204 yards and two touchdowns, while the rest of the defense reverted to their old ways of arm tackles, dropping their heads on tackle attempts and simply flying in out of control all game long.

Warning: the content below is graphic for a fan; it’s not pretty whatsoever. Proceed at your own risk.

Total Missed Tackles vs. Dolphins — 17

Vince Williams — 3
Jarvis Jones — 2
William Gay — 2
Mike Mitchell — 2
Lawrence Timmons — 2
Ross Cockrell — 2
Artie Burns — 1
Stephon Tuitt — 1
Javon Hargrave — 1
Robert Golden — 1

Total Missed Tackles in 2016 — 76 (average of 12.67 per game)

Sean Davis — 9
Mike Mitchell – 8
Artie Burns — 7
Stephon Tuitt — 7
Vince Williams — 7
Lawrence Timmons — 6
William Gay — 6
Ross Cockrell — 6
Ryan Shazier — 4
Jarvis Jones — 3
Robert Golden — 2
Arthur Moats — 1
Cameron Heyward — 1
LJ Fort — 1
Anthony Chickillo — 1
Jordan Dangerfield — 1
Ricardo Mathews — 1
Javon Hargrave — 1

Special Teams Missed Tackles in 2016 — 4

Steven Johnson — 1
Sammie Coates — 1
Tyler Matakevich — 1
Justin Gilbert — 1

I can’t make this up folks: 17 missed tackles against the Dolphins. At first when I made my way through the game Monday morning I thought for sure I had to have counted a few too many, but going through a second and third time, I came to the same number of 17 each time.

Absurd.

I really can’t try and slice this any other way: this game against Miami might be the worst game I’ve ever seen the Steelers play as a whole in the last 10 years. Ugly every which way you look at it.

With that said, let’s dive into the tape and take a look at some of the most egregious missed tackles.

The GIF above was one of the more impressive runs that Ajayi made on the day, largely due to his vision and burst up the gut.

Take a look at the snap; Ricardo Mathews picks a side on Branden Albert’s block, while James Harrison tries to hold his gap, which opens up a big lane for the pulling linemen to hit and get to the second level.

From there you see Vince Williams sealed off while Laremy Tunsil manhandles Lawrence Timmons at the second level. Where the biggest issue with the play though is the angle that Mike Mitchell takes and then the attempt he puts out to try and bring down Ajayi.

Granted, Mitchell was hurt prior to this run, but if that’s the type of effort you’re going to give on a run play, why even be on the field? He did this quite a few times against Miami, as well as quite a few times throughout his Steelers career.

When I first saw this play live it reminded me so much of the Week 1 missed tackle by Timmons on Washington Redskins tight end Jordan Reed.

Timmons does a good job of breaking on the throw quickly, but my goodness he just flops to the ground and completely whiffs on Jarvis Landry. I don’t think he even got a finger on the Miami receiver.

It’s being a concerning part of Timmons’ game against skill players in space. Following the end of the play, you can see Mike Tomlin giving it to Timmons for the missed tackle and poor effort.

This is the last GIF, I swear. And this one might be the most embarrassing for anyone watching.

Damien Williams isn’t a power running back by any means, but he sure looked like one here on this GIF.

There are just so many guys diving at ankles and out of position in this clip that I don’t even know where to start.

But we’ll start at the snap as Javon Hargrave and Stephon Tuitt look to work down the line on the zone run for the Dolphins, but they seem to get a little too far down the line, which causes Vince Williams to try and attack the gap between the two, but that allows for a huge cutback lane for Williams.

By cutting back against the grain, Williams has plenty of room to work with as Mitchell is out of position and Timmons is dealing with Tunsil at the second level. From there it just gets worse as guys simply dive at Williams’ ankles and legs without wrapping up, allowing Williams to look like (insert prominent power back of your choosing here) against an overmatched defense.

That’s it; I’m sorry you took the time to read through that horror show. Seventeen missed tackles! Yikes. Hopefully Week 7 at home against the New England Patriots is a major improvement, but with a banged up front seven and an ever-shuffling secondary, I won’t hold my breath against Gronk, Martellus Bennett and friends

Gifs are in the link below

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/10/missed-tackles-report-steelers-vs-dolphins/

chipped ham

Reaction score
this gifs were painful to watch. Especially watching Vince Williams. For a guy who had 30 tackles the last two weeks, he ran around blocks and looked like he refused to fill holes. A lot of those runs are on him. I like him as a player and all, but I said the same things after the Philly game because he was doing th same damn thing. For a guy who seems like he likes to mash it up and get physical, he does a whole lot of running around.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Davis didn't or hardly played. He's being phased out.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
..... Spin it as much as you want. I'll even go so far as to say he really only played in two games with snaps in one game coming from limited Special Teams participation because of his injury and still being Active on gameday. In any case, your observations are flawed by simple logic.

Okay using your data he still leads the team in missed tackles. My logic is fine Ike. Now only imagine how many more Davis would have missed had he played more in the defense. Let me know when you're done extrapolating...

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously not sure what they are watching but Uncle Jarvis has more than 3 missed tackles on the season.