• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mike Mitchell restructured

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I maybe wrong cause I'm no salary cap guru but I don't think Decastro new deal is going too bring any salary cap room anyway. He isn't going to take less then what he is guaranteed this year correct??

deljzc

Reaction score
I maybe wrong cause I'm no salary cap guru but I don't think Decastro new deal is going too bring any salary cap room anyway. He isn't going to take less then what he is guaranteed this year correct??

Because the deal will be 5 years and whatever signing bonus they give him can be amortized over those 5 seasons it will almost definitely be less than his current $8.07 million number.

For instance even if they give him $18 million THIS YEAR and make that into a $3 million salary and $15 million signing bonus, that would be only a $6 million salary cap hit for 2016. Obviously, they don't HAVE to use a signing bonus or amortization, but the Steelers seem to have no qualms pushing any/all money into future seasons and playing the credit card game. In some ways that makes sense.... a $1 on your salary cap books now is actually worth more (by percentage) than a $1 in 2017 and so forth. The only thing amortization does is limit the Steelers ability to part ways during the contract (and thus give the player some negotiating power to stay on the roster), but the Steelers rarely do that.

Although it has happened - Mahan, Woodley, Starks, C. Allen all being examples of players only making it 2 years into a 4 or 5 year long term deal (and thus having the Steelers eat some fairly large "dead money" accounting corrections).

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Coach, who do you think we could trade for? What good corner is available for trade?

Trading for a good corner is not easy. Teams value them too much. If a trade is made its likely for a solid veteran back up or player on his first contract.

Another possibility is the steelers could have been over the cap and had to make these moves. Keeping track of exactly where we are is something I don't track. I defer to over the cap. A fine website.