• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Mike Mitchell restructured

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/08/steelers-restructure-contract-s-mike-mitchell/

deljzc

Reaction score
Hmm.... two players restructure to free up salary cap room.

In my opinion, this is not a good sign on the state of contract talks between the Steelers and DeCastro. That new contract could have easily opened up the salary cap room that these renegotiations have (Mitchell and Foster).

So maybe the wiggle room they need for injuries or signing/trading for a veteran (TE?) isn't going to get done with DeCastro.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
could they be looking to resign AB now, well?

deljzc

Reaction score
could they be looking to resign AB now, well?

Maybe.... If they tried to shift some additional cash into his base pay this season, that might cause a salary cap bump. That's a confusing thing what they did with his contract last season. I haven't studied that math fully because I don't know how you can just increase pay without literally ripping up the deal and starting over.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Yeah, I think they are probably looking to ink long term deals with DeCastro and AB. Maybe Bell but after this last suspension I somehow doubt what he wants and what they want to pay are anything close.

deljzc

Reaction score
Brown's cap hit is already $12.4 million. Would any "renegotiation" make that go up?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/antonio-brown-6702/

If they do a long-term deal (another 6-year contract with huge money in signing bonuses), that $12 million cap hit would surely stay the same or go down. Even if they converted his base salary into a signing bonus and added money to it, say take $5 million out of his base pay, add $3 million so he makes $9.25 million this year and then amortize the $8 million "bonus" into 2016 and 2017, you're still only adding $250k to the salary cap figure (again, I don't really know how that happens on the books).

deljzc

Reaction score
Yeah, I think they are probably looking to ink long term deals with DeCastro and AB. Maybe Bell but after this last suspension I somehow doubt what he wants and what they want to pay are anything close.

These renegotiations LOWER the salary cap, so you don't need room by shifting base salary to bonuses on minor contracts like Foster and Mitchell.

Something else is going on. Something you need salary cap room for.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
You think they are trading for someone?

Chad Henne has a salary of 4.5 million maybe he's on the table.

Last edited:

zmetkler

Sponsor
Reaction score
If they are freeing up any cap space for anyone, it would likely be DeCastro. A decision on Bell probably won't come until after this season (primarily due to health concerns and off the field issues) and the Steelers typically don't give contract extensions to non-quarterbacks who aren't in a contract year so I wouldn't expect Brown to get an extension right now either. Although they haven't had a player the caliber of Brown that is as underpaid as he is so who knows.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
These renegotiations LOWER the salary cap, so you don't need room by shifting base salary to bonuses on minor contracts like Foster and Mitchell.

Something else is going on. Something you need salary cap room for.

As of right now the Steelers have approximately $2,995,904 in cap space.

Why do we need more room?

I hope it's a legit backup QB, a player in his prime who's proven to be good. Example Glennon.

Another possibility, more like fantasy is a major trade is in the works and additional cap space is needed. How about Pouncey for an edge rusher or quality DB?

zmetkler

Sponsor
Reaction score

I hope it's a legit backup QB, a player in his prime who's proven to be good. Example Glennon.

Another possibility, more like fantasy is a major trade is in the works and additional cap space is needed. How about Pouncey for an edge rusher or quality DB?

Would you feel comfortable having someone like Wallace (if he is healthy after his knee injury last week) be our starting center for the long-term though? I love Wallace's grit but he is a huge step below Pouncey's talent level and I cringed much too often watching him as the starter for 18 games last season. I also feel like the Steelers would eat so much of Pouncey's contract in dead money if they traded him but I could be wrong.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Do you think Pouncey for Clowney now that Martin is out for Houston. Clowney so far has been a bust but is finally healthy and would actually be cheaper in base pay vs Pouncey. It would be a huge gamble but maybe the team likes what they see from Finney and feel Pouncey is an injury risk. Doubt it but it's a thought.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score

Yeah, we're trading one of the offensive leaders and our starting Center. All of this while his back up is hurt. You're high.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
A trade must be in the works, as del explained a new contract to decastro and or brown shouldn't need more cap room as they can play with the signing bonus.
Should it be a CB, TE or QB?

zmetkler

Sponsor
Reaction score
Another theory could be that the team simply wants more cap space during the season. You need to have flexibility in the event that injuries occur and players need to be signed off the street. The only question with this is that the team freed up $4M in cap space by restructuring Gilbert and Mitchell, which is a bit much for signing a player off the street.

The team plays with the signing bonus frequently but typically only during restructures. Not many players will accept a new contract a base salary of $800,000 with a $10M signing bonus. You still need to have some level of cap space available for a solid base salary.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Yeah, we're trading one of the offensive leaders and our starting Center. All of this while his back up is hurt. You're high.

I said fantasy, but if the Chargers were stupid enough to take Pouncey's cap number this year and trade us Bosa, I'd take it.

Pouncey is injury prone. We win just fine without him, that much is proven. I also think he's an off the field risk, but that is another thread.

Not sure if this can be done, but with Pouncey's off the books, we can extend DeCastro now and juice up the pass rush.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I would say the DeCastro contract is closer than they are saying and are freeing up room to get it done. If that contract isn't done in two weeks they have a shitburger problem going into the offseason.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I would say the DeCastro contract is closer than they are saying and are freeing up room to get it done. If that contract isn't done in two weeks they have a shitburger problem going into the offseason.
DeCastro already has a e cap figure for this year and resigning him would free up cap space unless they front loaded it.

Maybe they're getting ready to sign Wheaton, and whatever agreement with Brown will cost them some cap room.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
$3 million is normally about where they like to be ENTERING the season. Remember that $3 million is still for only the TOP-51 salaries. When we finally get to 53 players and practice squad, that available number is going down.

LaCanfore is reporting they restructured Mitchell, Pouncey (no trade now) and Gilbert for a total of $9.5 million new salary cap room and over $11 million total (even when we go to 53-man roster).

He is reporting that we needed to get to the 90% cash floor "spent" for the last year or face a penalty from the NFLPA. Not sure if I believe that (a new contract for DeCastro would do that too for example).

But that is a lot more salary cap room than we normally "need" entering a season and has nothing to do with either Brown or DeCastro.

The signs do indicate that DeCastro's contract isn't going well and likely won't get done before September 1st. The signs also point to a potential trade for a veteran that might be a potential salary cap cut from a another team (we could easily turn a 6th round pick into a selected, likely veteran cut for instance and need cap room for that).

We'll just have to wait and see.

I've seen the Steelers enter the season with less than 3 milion in cap space. This year the cap is $155,987,000. Next year its $166,000,00 10 million more.

By having 11 million in space now, + 10 million in space next season, I think the Steelers could offer Decastro a deal if they really wanted to. Up front money though could be an issue.

I think the new space is for a trade. We'll see

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
They restructured Pouncey in on March of 2015.. You lookes at some old articles. Mitchell and Gilbert also restructured then.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Coach, who do you think we could trade for? What good corner is available for trade?

deljzc

Reaction score
They restructured Pouncey in on March of 2015.. You lookes at some old articles. Mitchell and Gilbert also restructured then.

I deleted my post. You are correct. I think I was researching the values of the restructures and found an old article. Christ, this team loves to restructure contracts....

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I deleted my post. You are correct. I think I was researching the values of the restructures and found an old article. Christ, this team loves to restructure contracts....

Yah, I started searching for info on 53 and came across those stories and nothing else lol

deljzc

Reaction score
Let me try this again.

After the Gilbert restructure, we gained about $2.4 million. According to SPORTSTRAC we were sitting at $4.85 million in cap room counting only the top-51 players on roster (so take a million away for the last two roster spots likely).

Mitchell restructuring opens up another likely $2.7 million.

So when you take into account room for injuries, 53-players, practice squad, etc. I think we have $4 million salary cap dollars that have opened up "for something".

Not sure what for yet, but it's not super big, but not super small either.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
My guess is one of two things. 1. Henne. 2. Posturing for DeCastro so he knows they are willing to go into this season without him being signed long term. Look at how that worked out for Beachum.