• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Miami Herald sizes up the Dophins' chances

Slash#10

Reaction score
As long as the Steeler defense stays out of the club they'll play much better vs. Dolphins than their visit to Miami earlier in the season. Recall Timmons puking his guts out on the field. All them Florida guys on our team living it up while on a business trip to South Beach.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Steeler Nation mobile app

SteelerAl

Reaction score
So waitaminit --- the writer states the following in the article:

I didn't realize that Tom Brady was a mobile QB -- and the Pats had a field day with the Dolphins defense.

Same with Joe Flacco. The Ravens offense moved the ball through the air on the Dolphins like they were doing a 7-on-7 drill.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Being based in the area I have a bit of a scoop. The Dolphins started out 1-4, then their new coach, who doesn't take any &hit changed the team to a running team that doesn't quit.

Miami lacks our talent, but we can not afford to underestimate them. Look for them to call some of the same plays that worked for them when they played the Steelers this season.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not one person has taken the Fins, that I've heard. The "Us against the World" will be the mantra for MIA. You can bet on that and they also have the confidence of spanking us earlier in the season. MIA is a dangerous animal. This game is on the D. HAVE to stop the run! Have to!

Yes they did SPANK us earlier this season but if they think that is an advantage today, then they have lost this game already. You see, this is a VERY different team today than it was that day of the spank. OPEN the PLAY book up to the page of spread them out and 5-wide. If it becomes a keep up with us, the fish have Zero chance of doing that.

Salute the nation

Lmob0621

Reaction score
Does anyone have any faith that the Steelers will come out and spread the field? We could have beat the Ravens by 3-4 TDs, but we instead played very conservatively in a not to lose manner... I hope I'm wrong, but I'm worried we are going to come out playing not to lose instead of to win. Hopefully, the Ravens game was our wake up call.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Being based in the area I have a bit of a scoop. The Dolphins started out 1-4, then their new coach, who doesn't take any &hit changed the team to a running team that doesn't quit.

Miami lacks our talent, but we can not afford to underestimate them. Look for them to call some of the same plays that worked for them when they played the Steelers this season.

yeah you have a scoop since it is so hard to get any information if you don't live in the area....

After their 1-4 start, they faced 3 teams that ended up not having a losing record...they lost badly to two of them (pats and ravens) and the Steelers were there only win....the other 6 teams they beat were the Bill and Jets (twice a piece) chargers, rams, 49ers and cardinals......not really a murders row.

Steelerz99

Forefather
Reaction score
If the Steelers cannot win this game, w/their talent on both sides, then it isn't working. In no way should the Dolphins win this game, barring injuries. This game isn't on the defense, it's on those BIG 3 to out up numbers and kick ***. As teams get better the further you get, then yes, the D needs to make plays, but not this game. Those 3 alone should provide too much pressure on offense to keep up. If they don't or can't , then what's the point?

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Does anyone have any faith that the Steelers will come out and spread the field? We could have beat the Ravens by 3-4 TDs, but we instead played very conservatively in a not to lose manner... I hope I'm wrong, but I'm worried we are going to come out playing not to lose instead of to win. Hopefully, the Ravens game was our wake up call.

I do not, the didn't learn from the first Baltimore game to the second.
Like I posted in another thread it's great that Bell can be a workhorse, but a grinding running game usually keeps the game low scoring and thus keeps the other team in it longer. One way to make Miami one dimensional is jump on their ***** early. Their strength is their DLine well wear them out, and they are missing their two starting safeties

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
the cold will have an effect on the Dolphins. They're used to being down in Miami and the winter season has already passed there, with the temps dipping down to 70.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
I do not, the didn't learn from the first Baltimore game to the second.
Like I posted in another thread it's great that Bell can be a workhorse, but a grinding running game usually keeps the game low scoring and thus keeps the other team in it longer. One way to make Miami one dimensional is jump on their ***** early. Their strength is their DLine well wear them out, and they are missing their two starting safeties

I think pounding the ball early and allowing our O-line to develop a feel for the game (and begin to wear down the opponent's front 7), allows us to do whatever we want later in the game. Suck those safeties up towards the line of scrimmage and the MOF will be wide open later.

We ran the ball quite successfully early against the Ravens --- we just couldn't put together a drive without a crippling penalty, dropped pass etc. And the 3rd quarter was a complete zero thanks to two terrible reads by Big Ben.

So, I'm in favor of keep things fairly conservative early in the game and being patient with the running game. It'd be different if we had Martavis Bryant on the outside alongside AB, but we just haven't developed enough pass catchers that are truly dynamic or that are on the same page as Ben 100% (see Ben's first interception against the Bills, he and Green weren't reading the defense the same way). Everyone loves "5 Wide *******!!!" until Ben throws the ball right at the middle linebacker and then it becomes "Why aren't we putting the ball in the hands of our MVP Bell???"

Last edited:

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm not against running often early, but I'd rather run a bit more from the spread, and be a little unpredictable, instead of bringing in Hubbard and Nix most of the time.
I don't know, that's the game Miami wants us to play and the kind of they want.

BAS

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not against running often early, but I'd rather run a bit more from the spread, and be a little unpredictable, instead of bringing in Hubbard and Nix most of the time.
I don't know, that's the game Miami wants us to play and the kind of they want.

I'd agree with you --- get those interior d-linemen moving side to side instead of just clogging up the middle of the field.