• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Likely fantasy, but Bosa to the Steelers?

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
both sides could end up losers here. Future high picks may pull an Eli Manning if the chargers are predicted to draft him and preemptively say they refuse to play there.

Bosa could lose money here and he must have already set the fanbase against him. Unless he's JJ Watt, the fans will probably never let this go.

The biggest loser could be Bosa's younger brother who is now at Ohio State. Maybe he has a few teams pass him by because they think he will be difficult to sign.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
According to Mike and Mike his only option if he doesn't sign is to sit out the year and re-enter the draft, as Ike said. Initially I was putting all the blame on Bosa, but the more sports talk shows I listen to, the panelists almost unanimously agree that what the Chargers are trying to do is asinine. They want to go against what every other top 10 pick has gotten under the new CBA and are notorious around the league at screwing players over whenever possible. I heard a soundbite from an active player who is an NFL rep who said he would advise Bosa to sit out the whole season and go into the draft. I think that is a bad idea because Bosa won't be drafted at 3rd again after sitting out a year. I still think he should swallow his pride and the the contract for the minimum amount of years he can, play his *** off, and then get the hell out after the contract expires.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The whole thing is stupid both ways. It's slotted. They can't be millions apart. Can't be more than a hundred k. If he sits he loses a lot more than that. Play the four and leave. The whale's vagina better watch itself. Penny pinching gets known by all.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
why?
why the **** would san diego take a ****** later draft pick and a ****** player for someone who was good enough to be the third pick in the draft? lay off the rock man. seriously

tumblr_lvnzjhX3Y81qc4cp9o1_250.gif

LOL Pookie takin' hits on dat crack pipe...

Coach, you can now be officially dubbed "Court Jester"...

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
This is a lose-lose situation. I was actually looking forward to seeing what this guy could do in the NFL.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
The whole thing is stupid both ways. It's slotted. They can't be millions apart. Can't be more than a hundred k. If he sits he loses a lot more than that. Play the four and leave. The whale's vagina better watch itself. Penny pinching gets known by all.

I don't think it is about more or less money but how much is guaranteed and how it is guaranteed.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
why?
why the **** would san diego take a ****** later draft pick and a ****** player for someone who was good enough to be the third pick in the draft? lay off the rock man. seriously

If a player is adamant about not playing there you take the best you can't get in a trade. Decades ago Mike Merriweather wanted out . The Steelers traded him for a later pick in round one. I

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
from what i heard, it's not about money it's about how the money will be paid. Bosa pretty much wants the signing bonus paid mostly upfront and the chargers want to spread those payments out more. It is still guaranteed but just delayed payments.

Apparently, the Chargers run things more like a mom and pop shop than a big business and this sort of structure is important for their cash flow. They stick to a budget and paying Bosa earlier could stop them from paying office folks and peanut vendors or taking a loan to do so.

This seems crazy to me that Bosa would be so adamant about getting his guaranteed payments quicker. If i heard correctly, we are talking about a difference of months here, not years. It seems Bosa is hell bent on trying to break the chargers, perhaps on behalf of the union.

The Chargers can trade him. It would have to be a sign and trade deal. They can't trade him unless he is signed. They could shop him, find a team that will give them a 1st rounder or multiple 1st rounders then sign him to whatever deal he wants then trade him.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Basically, the Chargers FO wants to defer his signing bonus through yearly percentages, but offset the said bonus if he doesn't make it through the life of the contract. So if he ends up like a Jamarcus Russell, they could release him, but Bosa's signing bonus would be paid back by the percentage of the year he is released/traded. I heard it was like 50/30/20 beginning year 2. FO trying to set a precendence which is laughable considering what they used to pay 1st round rookies...

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
This has not been a problem before so I still blame the player. He will still get his guaranteed money so I do not understand his problem. Maybe he owes a lot of money to the mafia or something. I think it would be hilarious if he sat or out this year and the chargers redrafted him next year. I think he is acting like a spoiled little kid.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
This has not been a problem before so I still blame the player. He will still get his guaranteed money so I do not understand his problem. Maybe he owes a lot of money to the mafia or something. I think it would be hilarious if he sat or out this year and the chargers redrafted him next year. I think he is acting like a spoiled little kid.

It hasn't been a problem before because no TEAM has ever did this before. I can't put all the blame on Bosa. All players I think want as much money up front as they can get. He just wants what all third picks in he first round have been getting since the slotting system was started. He isn't asking for more and anything new. He is just asking for the status quo.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
That's the point, his "guaranteed" money is to be paid back to the club if he doesn't make it through his rookie contract. No other rookie contract required this and it's not really guaranteed money if it is. Would you give back a bonus you earned because your employer said they changed their mind? Yeah Bosa's family are already millionaires so they aren't hurting for money, but SD is taking advantage of the situation and calling it what they think is fair. When in reality it isn't. It's about the agents, they are doing what they feel is best for their client (and their commission). Front office are trying to change the rules of the rookie wage when it's already been collectively bargained in their favor. (Why hasn't the NFLPA shown up? The vets wanted rookie wage as well....hence not a peep from the union)

Last edited: