• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ladarius Green signed 4 years 20 mil

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Green said he met with Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert yesterday in Pensacola, Fla., and that Tomlin got Ben Roethlisberger on the phone.</p>— Mike Prisuta (@DVEMike) <a href="https://twitter.com/DVEMike/status/708023370172923904">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Green will be replacing Heath Miller with the Steelers but he won't be "following in his footsteps. Those were some pretty big feet."</p>— Mike Prisuta (@DVEMike) <a href="https://twitter.com/DVEMike/status/708024327657029632">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Green assessed the Steelers offense as having "some big-time names, some big-time players. I'm ready to get in line with them."</p>— Mike Prisuta (@DVEMike) <a href="https://twitter.com/DVEMike/status/708024703189790720">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Green thinks there will be enough footballs to go around with Steelers. "Even if there's not, you just want to be part of something great."</p>— Mike Prisuta (@DVEMike) <a href="https://twitter.com/DVEMike/status/708025257802620928">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>

Nice......

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm not back yet, but I have to share this analysis I did on him:

Green was the go to TE the first 3 weeks of the season and also had a good game against us in week 4 when Gates came back to take the job for good.

Wk1 vs DET 5 for 74 1TD
Wk2 vs CIN 5 for 47 0TD
Wk3 vs CLE 4 for 53 0TD
Wk4 vs PIT 5 for 50 1TD (gates was 9 for 92 and 2 TDs in the same game)

Gates took his plays in week 4 and he still managed a respectable game. He may have been over 100yds had Gates come back a week later. It's not like our D was stopping athletic TEs.

This is a 4 week total of 19 for 224 and 2TDs. It projects for a full season as a starter to 76 for 996 and 8TDs. Those are respectable numbers for a TE, and we'd be happy to have them. He's not as good a blocker as Heath, but he's also not a slouch. Great find for our Front Office to find a big, athletic, speedy TE who can help in the running game as well as the passing game. Sign him to a 4yr contract, and we don't have to worry about drafting a TE for a few more years.

Green is a talent, but I urge caution. San Diego had a bad defense and limited offensive options. As such Green's numbers were a little inflated.

I think there is a chance the Steelers won't use him enough as a receiver to justify the 5 million a year. As a blocker he's average. With AB, Bryant, Wheaton, Bell there are only so many footballs.

It will be interesting to see how he is deployed. We have not have a TE who can split the seam or make defenses worry about big plays over the middle in a long time. Green can fill this role but he has to understand on this team he's a complementary player as a receiver.

I would have rather used the money on a better safety or corner if one could have been obtained for $5,000,000.00 a year.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Green is a talent, but I urge caution. San Diego had a bad defense and limited offensive options. As such Green's numbers were a little inflated.

I think there is a chance the Steelers won't use him enough as a receiver to justify the 5 million a year. As a blocker he's average. With AB, Bryant, Wheaton, Bell there are only so many footballs.

It will be interesting to see how he is deployed. We have not have a TE who can split the seam or make defenses worry about big plays over the middle in a long time. Green can fill this role but he has to understand on this team he's a complementary player as a receiver.

I would have rather used the money on a better safety or corner if one could have been obtained for $5,000,000.00 a year.

there's still money left, let's wait to see if that happens, This probably was an opportunity that couldn't wait so they had to take and then go for the DB

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
there's still money left, let's wait to see if that happens, This probably was an opportunity that couldn't wait so they had to take and then go for the DB

My guess is the Steelers already asked about the better free agent DB's and the cost was too high. To win NOW, Weddle might have been a better option. I'm lukewarm on this deal due to the 5 million a year cost. Green almost costs as much as Gay and Foster combined. Is he worth that amount?

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd still rather have a shutdown corner.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
My guess is the Steelers already asked about the better free agent DB's and the cost was too high. To win NOW, Weddle might have been a better option. I'm lukewarm on this deal due to the 5 million a year cost. Green almost costs as much as Gay and Foster combined. Is he worth that amount?

Well we needed a TE and went out and got one...Pretty cheap for a starter really. Doing a quick look there our 17 others with a higher salary. You say there are only so many balls but Miller stats have not been to shabby over the years. Green will get his share of balls. Hopefully with his size and ability he becomes Ben's go to guy in the RZ. If anything else at least open things up more in the RZ. In Heath's last few seasons he got hardly any yards after the catch. I think it will be a little different this season with Green. We will see how his blocking is and how it will affect our game plan. But we will know what his capabilities are and will not be asking him to do what Heath has done in the past in the blocking aspect.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...green-steelers-fans-played-role-in-my-signing

Ladarius Green: Steelers fans played role in my signing

By Dan Hanzus
Around the NFL Writer
Published: March 11, 2016 at 07:07 p.m.
Updated: March 11, 2016 at 10:06 p.m.

The Pittsburgh Steelers didn't mess around in their pursuit of Ladarius Green.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert kicked off free agency by taking a flight to Florida to woo the former Chargers tight end. In short order, Green was under contract in what could end up being one of the best value buys in free agency.

Green told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette this week that the large and vocal contingent of Steelers fans at a Chargers home game in October actually played a role in his decision in free agency.

"Did I notice?" Green asked about the black and gold invasion of Qualcomm Stadium in Week 5. "I think everyone noticed the number of Steelers fans out there. When you saw the towels in there it was pretty bad for us because we had to go on silent count. We knew they were there.

"You want to be around that kind of stuff. It was a pretty big point in coming."

Green had ankle surgery after the season, but expects to be ready for the start of training camp. His combination of speed and athleticism can make him a matchup nightmare for defensive coordinators who already have plenty to contend with on Pittsburgh's dynamic offense.

Stewey

Reaction score
He's gonna star with the Steelers. His name is Green.

Joe Greene
LC Greenwood
Kevin Green
Eric Green

swal75

Reaction score
His cap hit this year is only 2.4million dollars and his hit next year is 6.2 but can be reduced down to 3.7ish with a basic restructure. It buys time to draft the next great steeler tight end and we can just play it year to year. The cap keeps jumping every single year by 10million. 5million for a starting TE is chump change and in seasons 3/4 of this deal it will look even better(or you just waive him for a minor amount of dead money).

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Fantastic signing...

For all the right reasons..

Young, talented, inexpensive, need-based, and with his best days ahead of him.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
He's gonna star with the Steelers. His name is Green.

Joe Greene
LC Greenwood
Kevin Green
Eric Green

Yup, and that's why I'm hoping Steelers draft TJ Green out of Clemson. 6-3 safety that run a 4.3. Junior too, Colbert loves those. Don't know if he's a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round guy. Could move Mitchell to SS, probably a better fit for him anyway.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yup, and that's why I'm hoping Steelers draft TJ Green out of Clemson. 6-3 safety that run a 4.3. Junior too, Colbert loves those. Don't know if he's a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round guy. Could move Mitchell to SS, probably a better fit for him anyway.

thing is I think you want FS type as the Steelers move the SS and FS around so much.

So you want your SS to have range and coverage abilities in this pass happy league...

So, i wouldn't mind a TJ or any S with range and coverage abilities.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
They weren't going to find one at that price and still needed a starting tight end.

No way we can afford a shutdown corner in UFA. That's just asinine. We need Senquez Golson to be a stud and we need the best DB in the draft our pick allows for. We also need a pass rush that allows our secondary to take advantage of QB mistakes.

awboatguy

Reaction score
Well, this move seems so much smarter with the loom of Martavis being suspended, and probably released, this year. With Bryant out there will be more balls his way, and his red zone presence should be pretty dominate.

deljzc

Reaction score
Here's what everyone was saying 15 months ago about Green...

Oh how the narrative has changed.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's what everyone was saying 15 months ago about Green...

Oh how the narrative has changed.

shame we didn't know about his concussion issues huh?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, what was said then isn't what would be said NOW, provided we had the current information.

Salute the nation

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
On paper it looked like a great deal! I was psyched to see what he could add. Hindsight, and all that jazz.

Joe

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score