• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ladarius Green signed 4 years 20 mil

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
This kid can move! I do wonder about his blocking though...

Harry_BZAC

Forefather
Reaction score
I like it! Then we wouldn't have to waste a draft pick on what appears to be a weak TE class.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Free agent Ladarius Green will visit the Steelers on Thursday. He visiting, not necessarily signing.

lefty

Reaction score
Per Schefter Twitter he's expected to sign per source

ZACKB

Reaction score
Really? Wonder if we dump Spaeth.

swal75

Reaction score
Cool...this was one of my TE hopes.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Why Ladarius Green Is the NFL's Next Breakout Star at Tight End
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...n-is-the-nfls-next-breakout-star-at-tight-end

Athleticism

Green is 6'6" and 240 pounds. He ran a 4.45-second 40-yard dash at the NFL combine and shows excellent fluidity and quickness on the field. In 2013, that athleticism was highlighted by his average per reception, as Green averaged more yards per reception than any player who caught at least 10 passes. Of the players on this list, Green is the only one who is listed as a tight end, and he is the only player who is officially listed at 6'5" or taller.

Having a player with Green's athleticism allows you to threaten every single level of the defense on every single snap in a variety of ways. Not only can Green catch the ball underneath and eat up space as quick as most receivers, but he can also run downfield without the ball to catch deep passes from his quarterback.

Green's speed is on display in the following GIFs:

751b33b71487f27d60ec5660ac5c6546.gif

ce84f1d677767ef0b0eb105a9c7dad91.gif

e0037b001549167ef2601a77a3b65184.gif

His size at the catch point is very valuable when he gets down the field to work against defensive backs, while his fluid movement allows him to exploit less agile linebackers over the middle of the field underneath.

Even though Green doesn't have exceptional short-area quickness to release from the line of scrimmage, he is so big that he should be able to use his strength to push back bigger safeties and defensive backs in press coverage. It should also be noted that the offense can scheme him free at the line of scrimmage like it did above.

Blocking

Blocking as a tight end has become a contentious issue as of late because of Jimmy Graham's franchise tag debate. Even though Green is an excellent receiver and a mismatch weapon like Graham, he is a significantly better blocker than the New Orleans Saints star.

Green's movement and body control, combined with his size, make him a very effective blocker in space. He can advance to the second level to locate linebackers and safeties, but he can also pull behind the line of scrimmage to close off the opposite edge of the line.

45ef9ee88482467f49f7918f9f4fa304.gif

On this big run for Ryan Mathews against the Denver Broncos during last year's regular season, Green initially lines up as a tight end to the right of the offensive line.

He shows quick feet and good balance to work his way behind the line of scrimmage to the other side of the field before getting outside of the edge defender. While he doesn't immediately engage the linebacker, he uses the design of the play to his favor by getting to the right position to seal off the edge.

Green makes this movement look very simple, but it's not something every tight end in the NFL can do effectively.

On this play, Green is the inside tight end lined up to the left.

7ff3ed4e8a075062cf20b406321b140e.gif

The Chargers run a sweep play to the left side, and Green has to make the key block to allow Mathews to run upfield. Green lines up the defensive back and uses his power at the point of contact to knock him out of the play.

Green isn't the kind of tight end who can line up on the line of scrimmage, lower his pad level and power his legs through contact to drive linebackers and defensive ends off the line of scrimmage. When he does line up tight to the formation, he generally focuses on establishing position and holding his ground in space.

For a receiving tight end, he is definitely a valuable blocker. Green has the potential to be a matchup nightmare for defenses in both the run and pass game.

Last edited:

nitsuj1225

Reaction score

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Multiple sources confirming Green will sign with Steelers. Good deal now we can focus on secondary in the draft.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Well alright, then! I thought he was pretty decent playing in the shadow of Antonio Gates.

Steelerz99

Forefather
Reaction score
I LOVE this (hopeful) signing!!! Beautiful

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not back yet, but I have to share this analysis I did on him:

Green was the go to TE the first 3 weeks of the season and also had a good game against us in week 4 when Gates came back to take the job for good.

Wk1 vs DET 5 for 74 1TD
Wk2 vs CIN 5 for 47 0TD
Wk3 vs CLE 4 for 53 0TD
Wk4 vs PIT 5 for 50 1TD (gates was 9 for 92 and 2 TDs in the same game)

Gates took his plays in week 4 and he still managed a respectable game. He may have been over 100yds had Gates come back a week later. It's not like our D was stopping athletic TEs.

This is a 4 week total of 19 for 224 and 2TDs. It projects for a full season as a starter to 76 for 996 and 8TDs. Those are respectable numbers for a TE, and we'd be happy to have them. He's not as good a blocker as Heath, but he's also not a slouch. Great find for our Front Office to find a big, athletic, speedy TE who can help in the running game as well as the passing game. Sign him to a 4yr contract, and we don't have to worry about drafting a TE for a few more years.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sign him and hopefully James can bounce Spaeth off the team for good. Although, I doubt they get rid of Spaeth this year.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
If they sign a FA TE, I think a draft pick would need to knock Spaeth off team. They likely will carry 3.
Spaeth is more of an extra tackle, fits blocking situations type anyhow.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the dude's ceiling is HIGH. Love to see what an athlete like that can do in this offense. Pretty excited about the potential here.

Steel G

Reaction score
Sounds good if the money's right. I'm sure Ben loves it.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Do it. Looks like a very solid move. Glad they aren't waiting for table scraps. Safety, Corner or outside rusher in the first round.

doggfather69

Forefather
Reaction score
Nothing about it on nfl.com

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Safety, Corner or outside rusher in the first round.
I'm also warming up to the idea of drafting a top-notch DT like Vernon Butler in the first, then going CB/S next two rounds.