• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ladarius Green released!

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Green's contract was always set up to release him if he didn't work out.

Steelers save money from the cap this year, even by taking his entire pro-rated signing bonus amount this year.

$3.5625M is less than his cap value of $5M for this season. Steelers open up $1,427,750 in cap space and save $11.4M in actual dollars. That $5M cap hit also comes off for 2018 and 2019.

ark steel

Reaction score
Green's contract was always set up to release him if he didn't work out.

Steelers save money from the cap this year, even by taking his entire pro-rated signing bonus amount this year.

$3.5625M is less than his cap value of $5M for this season. Steelers open up $1,427,750 in cap space and save $11.4M in actual dollars. That $5M cap hit also comes off for 2018 and 2019.

Thanks for the dose of sanity.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
socoachwhodowesigntofillthisvoid!?!?!?!?!!?!?ohmygodwearedead

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
It was like a $5 mill signin bonus...peanuts in today's NFL...

DocScott

Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed, terrible pick up from the start, glad he's gone....six games (action) last season no big return on investment. He was damaged goods on arrival (concussions and all). We're good at TE with James and Grimble/Johnson. Go Steelers!

FordFairLane

Reaction score
What is the over/under on the Steelers bringing in Gary Barnidge for a workout? He hasn't drawn much interest since being cut and I don't see how we couldn't get him for a 2-3 million a year deal. He's 31 going on 32 in September so he has a couple of decent years left. And with the merry go round at QB the Clowns had last year still caught 55 balls for 612 yards.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
It was a good pick up, if he was healthy like he claimed he was. When he actually played, he showed signs of a threat. It's a shame he couldn't take a hit.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
socoachwhodowesigntofillthisvoid!?!?!?!?!!?!?ohmygodwearedead

If this makes perfect sense with out actually reading it...........................................You could be............................

Salute the nation

ZACKB

Reaction score
I would bring him in...he had some visits...the Bills for one.

What is the over/under on the Steelers bringing in Gary Barnidge for a workout? He hasn't drawn much interest since being cut and I don't see how we couldn't get him for a 2-3 million a year deal. He's 31 going on 32 in September so he has a couple of decent years left. And with the merry go round at QB the Clowns had last year still caught 55 balls for 612 yards.

diver

Reaction score
I am not overly worried about this but from different perspective. I have always felt if you give an OC too many options, they get caught up in using all of those options and never establish anything. There is only one football. When you have too options, you have have 1st down from the 1 and instead of just putting in the fullback and running it with the best RB in the NFL, you get all cute. An OC has to have incredible discipline when he has so many options.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Heath had 39 receptions as a rookie. James had 39 receptions last year, his first as a starter.

Let's not forget that Heath was a 1st rounder and James was a late round pick who was only 20 when drafted. Let's also not pretend like Heath was a top receiving TE. He only averaged 53 catches per season which is something James can deliver.

I never was comparing the two, I was pointing out the absurd statement that it took years for Heath to learn the position. Heath was the best TE coming out in 2005, and he IMMEDIATELY made an impact with his ability to catch and block. He wasn't some raw TE that needed to learn to catch or learn to block, he was already a solid all around TE.

Thanks tape....and I might add that as close as I can recollect...Heath wasn't exactly a blocking machine out of college.and he came in on a lowB repuS year.

Hey...I love me some Heath Miller but let's not lose our sense of reality here.

Again, your recollection is off. Best TE coming out, Best all around TE, immediately made an impact, and only improved.

Here's a pre draft write up on Heath. Again, I'm not comparing Heath and James, simply addressing what you seem to be forgetting about Heath, and how good he was.

Scouting Report: Heath Miller

Full Name: Heath Miller School: Virginia
Ht: 6-5 Wt: 255 40: 4.79
The Good: Big, strong tight end effective catching the ball as well as blocking for the passing or running game. Fluid releasing off the line of scrimmage, displays solid footwork running pass routes as well as adequate adjustment. Physically defeats opponents to come free, makes receptions with defenders draped on him and consistently catches the pass away from his frame. Heady, immediately picks up blocking assignments and displays excellent wherewithal. Strong at the point and gets movement from run blocks or anchors in pass protection.
The Bad: Runs well yet does not present himself as a tight end who makes plays down the field. Gathers into blocks. Does not display soft hands.

As for James, I think the "poor mans Heath Miller" is a pretty accurate statement. He's not super athletic or super fast, he catches the ball well, and is a decent blocker. Heath was very underrated and was the best all around TE in the game for years. James is a solid all around TE, he's definitely above average as an all around TE, and if he keeps improving maybe he can shed the "poor mans" part of the description for a few years. I like James, but lets not forget he's trying to fill some pretty big shoes.

chuck7628

Reaction score
It was a possibility this would happen, but I think Jesse James will be much improved to offset the loss. He's already bigger and stronger. So he's multi-faceted like Heath was (but JJ is no Heath). Grumble may be a surprise as a pass catcher. Anyone know the numbers that impact the cap with Green's release?

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app
I've heard 3.5 mil and also 5 mil. Not sure which is correct.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
He made some great money playing just a few games. How can I sign up? I promise to not play. Say 1.5 million and I'm yours.

milkman dan

Reaction score
It was a good pick up, if he was healthy like he claimed he was. When he actually played, he showed signs of a threat. It's a shame he couldn't take a hit.

I agree, he was a good pick up. He delivered on the field and was a huge upgrade to the position. He doesn't take that shot to the head vs Cincy, this thread doesn't exist.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I just realized, if the Steelers place blame at Green for not disclosing his headaches, they have the ability to go after him to recoup part of his signing bonus. If that happens, his cap number could drop to Zero.

Personally, I don't think the Steelers will follow this route, as they are a family organization and probably are generally concerned about Green's welfare and ability to support his family. So taking money out of his pocket would not be a good PR move for a team that was instrumental in discovering CTE.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I just realized, if the Steelers place blame at Green for not disclosing his headaches, they have the ability to go after him to recoup part of his signing bonus. If that happens, his cap number could drop to Zero.

Personally, I don't think the Steelers will follow this route, as they are a family organization and probably are generally concerned about Green's welfare and ability to support his family. So taking money out of his pocket would not be a good PR move for a team that was instrumental in discovering CTE.

My take all along was that it wasn't intentional, that Green and the Steelers both thought he'd be ready to play but unfortunately it didn't work out that way.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score

I sorta hope it works out this way. Let both parties move on. He's made a decent chunk of change that he can support his family into the next phase of his life.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I sorta hope it works out this way. Let both parties move on. He's made a decent chunk of change that he can support his family into the next phase of his life.

They can afford it. Mrs. Burgundy just dropped over $100 on a ladies size Villenueva jersey. :herewego:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I dunno, do we need a TE coach?

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score

Yeah can't see them going this route. I think this is more likely the impression from fans who are pissed that Green didn't deliver what was promised. Its easy to go back and say he hid an injury but the team has access to in depth medical records before they make a transaction and they could have voided the contract if they weren't happy with his physical. The problem was his ankle probably overshadowed the larger issue, which are his previous concussions. You'll see the team be much more careful when deciding whether to draft or sign a player with concussion history.