• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Jackson > Rudolph

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I did provide a pretty extensive list (not everyone) of some recent QB injuries. I searched but couldn't find any QBs who were hurt while acting as the runner.

even if you did, it wouldn't be that meaningful since Jackson is running far more than most QBs. Most QBs take off running and just slide a few yards later. Jackson is the only one with RB like rushing attempts. It would be better to compare him to RBs.

Some RBs get hurt and some don't. Kamara is fast and elusive and he was injured this year.

I'd also like to point out, I think McCaffrey is probably on course for an injury too if they keep up such heavy use.

Vader

Reaction score
I did provide a pretty extensive list (not everyone) of some recent QB injuries. I searched but couldn't find any QBs who were hurt while acting as the runner.

I showed you a video on Cam being hurt last year running. Again your list is who is hurt right now. It doesn't list anyone that was hurt more than one time over the course of a year or so. Just because their careers don't end as soon as they get hurt doesn't mean they aren't getting hurt running. It's football, you can get hurt just being on the field. But some of your most injury prone QBs are runners like Newton and they don't generally last long. Plus there are fewer of them than regular QBs.

Also Mahones was hurt running. It was a QB sneak but he wasn't passing the ball or handing it off. So it was a run. Other non-running QBs do sneak but they also run on occasion as well.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
even if you did, it wouldn't be that meaningful since Jackson is running far more than most QBs. Most QBs take off running and just slide a few yards later. Jackson is the only one with RB like rushing attempts. It would be better to compare him to RBs.

Jackson has had a combined 2,452 rushes and passes since his freshman year in college. He's missed one game because of injury. So far he's done a terrific job staying healthy.

I showed you a video on Cam being hurt last year running. Again your list is who is hurt right now. It doesn't list anyone that was hurt more than one time over the course of a year or so. Just because their careers don't end as soon as they get hurt doesn't mean they aren't getting hurt running. It's football, you can get hurt just being on the field. But some of your most injury prone QBs are runners like Newton and they don't generally last long. Plus there are fewer of them than regular QBs.

Also Mahones was hurt running. It was a QB sneak but he wasn't passing the ball or handing it off. So it was a run. Other non-running QBs do sneak but they also run on occasion as well.

I don't think you can pick and choose who is a runner and who isn't. Cam's injury last year may have been on a scramble, but this year it wasn't. He was injured in the role of a pocket passer. When it comes down to it, it is more about when the injury occurs.

If Jackson stands in the pocket and takes a low hit that tears his ACL, is it because he was at a higher risk because he is was a runner? No, it was because he took a bad hit that tore his knee while in the pocket. If he sprains an ankle trying to juke a linebacker 15 yards downfield after a scramble, then he is hurt as a runner.

In recent years, there have been way more QBs injured and missing time because of injury who don't fall into the category as a runner. I'm also not buying that Mahomes example. Sorry, but Mahomes falling forward for a sneak isn't a run in the sense we are talking about guys like Jackson getting hurt. Are you calling Tom Brady a running QB as well if he gets hurt on a QB sneak?

madinsomniac

Reaction score

Lamar Jackson officially has a quad injury from getting hit in the knee while running....so we can add that to tge list at least...lol

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Lamar Jackson officially has a quad injury from getting hit in the knee while running....so we can add that to tge list at least...lol

He was hurt on his 61 yd TD throw to Hurst. He was in the pocket

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score

lmao as soon as i heard about his sore quad, i KNEW i'd come here and read a comment like this. he was hurt while he was in the pocket, not running.

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Reaction score
lmao as soon as i hurt about his sore quad, i KNEW i'd come here and read a comment like this. he was hurt while he was in the pocket, not running.

Yeah I admit, I misinterpreted that press conference

But it doesn’t change the fact that more hits lead to more injuries, or that once injured (though this seems minor)
Run first QBs are less effective...

Look, as a guy who used to pimp run firsts as “the future “ its just not true... a guy who relies on his legs too much doesn’t learn the game from the same perspective as a guy who tries to make passes first and foremost and later in their career, when that running ability fades a bit, they just don’t have time to relearn defensive schemes that don’t automatically include a spy and guys in the secondary don’t bite on their run fakes...

Jackson had maybe the greatest single qb game ever vs Miami, followed it up with another pretty great performance then really started to have some bad games until the bye... they to their credit shifted the scheme to fit what works for him, and it threw new England and the next few teams for a loop... the last two games you see teams adjusting a bit...

We will see, maybe he “breaks the mold” like the last two dozen run first guys were supposed to do... or maybe like everyone else he has three to four good years then fades to mediocrity... he has a **** ton of sub 200 yard passing games that people ***** about with other young qbs... he gets a pass because he is running at or very close to double digit attempts most games... thats absurd to add a RB load to a qb... you just cannot do it...

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
If I'm the Ravens coach, there is no way I play him tomorrow vs the Jets. Ravens have 2 QBs behind him that can manage this game vs a terrible jets team.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
If I'm the Ravens coach, there is no way I play him tomorrow vs the Jets. Ravens have 2 QBs behind him that can manage this game vs a terrible jets team.

I tend to agree, but the issue is how much down time do you want him having going into the playoffs... if they rest him this week, win, then play him and win vs the Browns, he would not play vs us for sure... with the bye thats 3 of 4 weeks off before a playoff game...

And the other thing is if by some chance they lost, then they close out the season vs the Browns, who already beat them, and us, who took them to OT... thats risking HFA down the stretch... hell if they lost and we won it theoretically puts the division back in play, cause if we miraculously won out and they lost out i think we can still take it on tiebreakers...

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I tend to agree, but the issue is how much down time do you want him having going into the playoffs... if they rest him this week, win, then play him and win vs the Browns, he would not play vs us for sure... with the bye thats 3 of 4 weeks off before a playoff game...

And the other thing is if by some chance they lost, then they close out the season vs the Browns, who already beat them, and us, who took them to OT... thats risking HFA down the stretch... hell if they lost and we won it theoretically puts the division back in play, cause if we miraculously won out and they lost out i think we can still take it on tiebreakers...

That team should be able to win against the Jets without Jackson. I'd still dress him. In the off chance the offense stagnates, you can always bring him in for a boost, but he needs to be 100% for the playoffs, or they aren't going anywhere.

xjx

Reaction score
**** the Ravens. **** the Jets.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
the trend is going to be toward running qbs... it’s the rpo the makes these qbs dangerous, were not talking about just running qbs we talking about qbs that can throw off the run that are a threat to run. if you commit to the rpo you can use qbs like the Duck, when he blows out a knee, *** it, throw another one out there. A rpo offense allows you to stay away from the 100 million dollar albatross contractS like ben’s or the guy the rats dumped, ol joltin joe. You thing they would be where are are if they kept him and that crap offense? Pittsburgh along time ago in a galaxy far, far, away was home to the single wing offense which is the basis of wildcat offense. Jock sutherlands offense was unstoppable and became the bases of Vince lombardi’s sweep that too, was unstoppable. Even the qb sweep we ran with cordell was unstoppablish... the rpo takes that further with a qb that is able to pass off the run in an offense designed utilizing zone blocking, crossing passing routes, spread, multiple receivers, all leading to an offense very tuff to stop. I hope we drop that crap offense we are running now and commit to a rpo offense and give the duck a chance to compete and bring in a couple more like him and get behind some real change the on offensive side of ball. Sometimes the answers to the future are in your past...