• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is this the year we draft the heir to Ben Roethlisberger ?

ark steel

Reaction score
Negative Ghost Rider. The heir is already in the NFL - in Cincy. AJ McCarron. We need to trade our 3rd pick for him (see - I can speculate too)...

I'm with ya on this. Oh, and answer your texts.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Patrick Mahomes is NOT Derek Carr and whoever compared the two should never evaluate football again. Mahomes is a poor mans Russell Wilson. He has too happy of feet, poor accuracy, below average arm, and is 100% a product of the system and supporting cast.

Roethlisberger has a few more good years left so I would give a little effort trying to re-sign Jones to a 1 or 1.5 million a season deal for 2-3 years or give Mettenberger the backup spot next year and roll with a UDFA guy for the practice squad. Roethlisberger will be 35 next year and I would still be against spending above a 5th round pick on a QB after the season(2017 season). I would say spend the high pick in 2019 when Ben is 37 and we can groom a QB for 1 or if we are lucky 2 seasons. I don't want to spend a high draft pick just to watch them leave via free agency before we get to see them in action or have to overspend on them without really seeing them play. If we spend a 1 or 2 in 2019 when they get the helm we still have them under the rookie contract 2-3 years.

If we draft a QB next year I would look at MAYBE a 7th round pick on Alek Torgersen or Gunner Kiel. But to be honest either will likely be UDFA's. But if we want to make sure we get an arm in camp spend the late round 7th on one. Torgersen goes to Penn and is obviously very smart. He shows a little athleticism, decent enough arm, but his play is very methodical in the sense he throws to the open man and reads the defense extremely well. Obvious comparison is Ryan Fitzpatrick BUT I feel he reminds me more of Joe Montana. No, I don't think he WILL be Joe Montana but he is a guy I would like to see in camp and see if he can make the 53 man and if not what does he do when he's on the practice squad and how does he react. Kiel is the polar opposite in the sense he has a million dollar arm and all the talent in the world just has never been able to put it together. He would be my second choice if both are available but again a guy to get in camp, maybe have some veteran leadership take him under their wing, see what NFL coaching can do and how would he react to adversity of likely not making the 53 man.

If we spend a mid round pick on a QB I would not be very happy unless Mettenberger looks like garbage in practice and Jones thinks he can start elsewhere.

SteveA

Reaction score
Too early to draft the heir......

I still feel we add another wide-out in the 2nd or 3rd......Go to a 3-4 wide-out set & play no huddle......

we would absolutely kill it!!!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
No.

Lmob0621

Reaction score
Joe Burrow... backup at TOSU will be our guy when Ben retires if we are throwing guesses out.

Reaction score
I wouldn't try to replace Ben until after he is gone. While he is still here we need to use those draft picks to get players in other need areas. I'm prepared for a 4-12 season the year after Ben retires. At that point if we're lucky that once in a generation QB falls into the Steelers lap on the draft.

milkman dan

Reaction score
I'd say no. Keep drafting edge rushers for now til one sticks.

Burghproud

Reaction score
I'd use a late round flyer on Nate Peterman from Pitt. Not a star but better than any of our current backups and space filler until Ben retires and we look for the long term solution

He is very much like TOM Savage also from Pitt who was late rounder and doing well with the Texans