• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Is this the year we draft the heir to Ben Roethlisberger ?

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
Im not sure who's coming out in the draft this year. I don't really see anyone that spikes my interest. Patrick Mahomes at Tex Tech can sling it, has good accuracy and mobility (threw for 5K yards and 41 TDs this season). But hes projected to go rounds 3-4. Accuracy is a big attribute and hes been compared to Derek Carr. Landry Jones put up similar numbers but he had no mobility nor the vision that Mahomes has.

If we do draft a QB this year, im not sure we do so before round 4.

Are there any other names out there that are potential heirs to the QB position ? Im keenly interested to see the following year what Baker Mayfield does at Oklahoma (he said hes not declaring with 1 yr of eligibility left)...he was Heisman finalist the past two years

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having a Derek Carr-type QB. Unless someone jumps off the page, I agree, I don't see the Steelers drafting someone before round 4.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Big Ben's heir resides in Athens, GA atm. Jake Eason is gonna be a Steeler in three years ;)

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Only QB I take in this draft is Mitch Trubisky from UNC. Kid is going to be a star.

ZACKB

Reaction score
The Ole MIss QB could be a nice mid-round find.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I think they will still be in the hunt next year and will need an important player for now in the first round. Now if first round talent falls to the mid second and you can pay the move up price I would be down with that. I just think 4th rounders are a complete waste of a pick. It's just another Landry Jones which is already on the roster and we'll versed in the offense.

Omar10213245

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘‚๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿช‚๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒ›๐ŸŒœโ˜‚โ˜”โ„๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅบ
Contributor
Reaction score
whaaaa! guys, guys! we HAVE mettenberger, what else do you want?? :thumb:

madinsomniac

Reaction score
QB rankings can drastically fluctuate between now and the draft... some projected mid rounder will suddenly become a mid to late first rounder... some 2nd to low 1st rounder will become a high first rounder... happens quite a bit

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
no.........

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We better start looking though...seriously.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
My guess is they will get serious about it in the draft preceding the last year of Ben's current contract. Its still possible we luck into a Brady like pick though.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
If the oline plays like they have been, Ben has 5-6 years of good football left. Lets not worry about a replacement just yet. get him weapons or continue to rebuild the defense. We need to do everything we can to win for the next several years.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
If we let Landry walk in FA, we'll have to draft a QB or sign a vet replacement.

Reaction score
Only QB I take in this draft is Mitch Trubisky from UNC. Kid is going to be a star.

Absolutely! Best high school QB that I have ever seen. I couldn't believe he wasn't recruited by Ohio State. I think once teams work him out that his draft stock will go through the roof. I worry the Browns will take him since he is from northeast Ohio.

mdk2

Reaction score
One of the worst QB classes in recent memory. I wouldn't take a QB before the 4th or 5th so in that case, I'd wait til 2018.

steelermania

Reaction score
You draft Ben's heir before his 36 year old season. That will be in the spring of 2018. You sign him for 4 years on his rookie deal. When/if he takes over will depend on Ben. I can see Ben playing another 4-5 years if he avoids major injuries. The team will have to decide after the 2019 season, if the new guy has the right stuff. If they're not sold on him, they'll need to take a qb early in the 2020 draft, as Ben won't likely play beyond 2021. The better of the two will become the new starter.

scstillerfan

Reaction score
Chad Kelly is an immense talent but head case, see Ryan Leaf and Jeff George. I'd take Trubisky over him. I definitely don't see any 1st round talent.

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
No. This is not a good year for QB's and the few decent ones out there will be long gone before our turn comes up. I agree with MTC about Eason though, but someone else will probably snag him.