• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Interesting Read about Tomlin

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Why?

Why do you disagree?

Is there any reasoning behind your stance? Or do you simply subscribe to the "the Steelers know what they're doing and it's heresy to question anyone in the organization" line of thinking?

Plenty of reasoning behind my stance. I've noted it all before (many times). But, let me make this clear. My major problem with that particular post was with the blanket statement that anyone who disagreed with the opinion stated was "not a Steelers fan". Seems to me that Steelers fans can come in all shapes, sizes and opinions. You don't have to agree with mine. I don't have to agree with yours. But, that doesn't make either of us automatically "less" of a fan of the Steelers because we disagree.

Steeler

Contributor
Reaction score
Not a Tomlin hater, but his or whoever's decision making on challenges is terrible. Just put someone in the booth watching the damn game on tv and let them decide when to challenge. Or put me on the phone. Ridiculous.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Not a Tomlin hater, but his or whoever's decision making on challenges is terrible. Just put someone in the booth watching the damn game on tv and let them decide when to challenge. Or put me on the phone. Ridiculous.

They do have a person who reviews the film quickly and let's Tomlin know if he thinks a call is challenge worthy. Maybe that person should be fired? But then again, the combination of that person and Tomlin has actually done fairly well with challenges in the past compared to other teams. This article is a couple of years old, but you'll get the picture. Maybe our perceptions are screwed because we only remember the bad ones

https://news.sportsinteraction.com/sports/nfl-football/nfl-coachs-challenge-best-and-worst-records-when-the-flag-is-thrown-83188/

bmoritz

Reaction score
My problem is there's always an excuse for his shortfalls. It's always Butlers, or Haley's, or Ben's fault, NEVER Tomlin's. Some of you guys hold him accountable for NOTHING. He is the head coach, is he not? It's true there is plenty of blame to spread around, but he deserves the lion's share. His "mistakes" are the same ones he's been making for 10 years, and he does NOTHING to correct them. At what point do you look at the head guy and say "What the hell are you doing"?

chipped ham

Reaction score
My problem is there's always an excuse for his shortfalls. It's always Butlers, or Haley's, or Ben's fault, NEVER Tomlin's. Some of you guys hold him accountable for NOTHING. He is the head coach, is he not? It's true there is plenty of blame to spread around, but he deserves the lion's share. His "mistakes" are the same ones he's been making for 10 years, and he does NOTHING to correct them. At what point do you look at the head guy and say "What the hell are you doing"?

I agree, he absolutely deserves some of the heat in the kitchen. However, in regards to your statement about there being excuses and deferring blame to Haley and/or Butler, the opposite is also always hammered home by those who wanna bash Tomlin. Hell, there's a thread right now saying pretty much that Haley and Butler did a good job this past Sunday, but Tomlin did nothing. So when the Steelers have a good game plan or play well or win, it's always the coordinators and the players who get the praise and the team succeeded in spite of Tomlin, but when they lose, it's all on Tomlin and everyone else is absolved of any blame.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if fans hold coach Tomlin accountable or not. I do know that he sure as hell holds himself accountable.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

What chipped ham said.

It's not that I don't hold him accountable I do..you are correct he is the head coach. What I take more offense to is that he never gets any credit for the wins or the good things that's have happened. None. But he gets all the blame for anything that bad has happened. It's automatically attributed to Tomlin. I'm labeled apologist for Tomlin but you will be hard pressed to find a quote on here from me saying we won because of Tomlin after a game or season or anything like that.. but I will find things on the net to help disprove the notion that he doesn't do **** but sit in his offense and try on shades for Sunday's game

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I know some of you weren't here in the 80's and 90's, so I'll give those of you a pass, the rest of you remember having a 6-10 season under Cowher, and we know how those seasons with Kordy went. The defense was the strength of the team then, held back by a sputtering offense. It's odd now because we have to watch our defense sputter, and the offense is our hope for a win. I hate to break it to you, but when you're missing your starting qb and your big play wr (sorry, Coates is our big play wr now, l Brown still gets his catches, but with Bryant out, Coates is they deep threat) and two of your best starters on defense, with another playing hobbled, you're not beating the Pats. I was thrilled with the performance that team put in, and it seemed like they had a chance, unfortunately, too much was stacked against them, and that's what the final score showed.

It wasn't coaching, hell, without some decent coaching, we get killed just like every time St Dick went against Brady. It was lack of healthy players. If you want to have a discussion about that, I'm game, cause this team seems to have a LOT of problems staying healthy as of late.

Joe

TWEEK1106

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if fans hold coach Tomlin accountable or not. I do know that he sure as hell holds himself accountable.

Then why does he keep making the same mistakes?

And holding himself accountable in what way?

Does he fine himself for not knowing clock management after over a decade in the league?

bigben

Reaction score
Best comment from the article:

The game was against the best team in the AFC with the following "excuses"
on offense
1. missing franchise QB- best player on team,
2. playing 3rd string T at RT instead of best pass blocker on team,
3. playing without the #2 (Wheaton), #3 (Bryant), #4 (Rogers) and #5 (Coates) WRs and also losing the #1 for part of the game,
4. playing without the #1 TE, and
5. playing without Deangelo Williams, arguably a top 10 back in the league
on defense
1. missing best defensive player- Cam Hayward,
2. missing best pass rusher- Dupree, and
3. multiple injuries in secondary

and still, if the 3rd string T doesn’t get called for holding, the game is tied at half. If the kicker doesn’t miss a 42 yarder, they stay within 1 score later. If Jones throws over the outside shoulder of Brown in the end zone instead of an interception…… None of those are coaching problems.

I would argue that if you watched the game Sunday, you should come away with an increased appreciation for just how good a coach Tomlin is. If you didn’t, you are likely just looking for an excuse to bash him and the actual facts weren’t going to matter anyway.

Between the ridiculous challenge and going for the record long fg, I don't know what to say?
Also before most of the injuries, with Ben and Williams, they played down to their opponents.
Against the rookie QB and rookie head coach Philly.
Against 1 and 5 Miami when Ajayi another rookie had 8.2yds per carry and more yards than in his first 5 GAMES COMBINED.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
What chipped ham said.

It's not that I don't hold him accountable I do..you are correct he is the head coach. What I take more offense to is that he never gets any credit for the wins or the good things that's have happened. None. But he gets all the blame for anything that bad has happened. It's automatically attributed to Tomlin. I'm labeled apologist for Tomlin but you will be hard pressed to find a quote on here from me saying we won because of Tomlin after a game or season or anything like that.. but I will find things on the net to help disprove the notion that he doesn't do **** but sit in his offense and try on shades for Sunday's game

Mikey boy isn't a bad coach like many of us lead you to believe. Do I have my complaints about him? Sure. As many stated, poor clock management, the worst red flag challenges etc. But Tomlin does make use of his roster and gives the Steelers faithful a hope of the playoffs even with the amount of injuries the Steelers face. While other teams play musical chairs with coaches, I think it's damn cool the Steelers have only had three Head Coaches in the team's history. That's a damn admirable feat

chipped ham

Reaction score
Between the ridiculous challenge and going for the record long fg, I don't know what to say?
Also before most of the injuries, with Ben and Williams, they played down to their opponents.
Against the rookie QB and rookie head coach Philly.
Against 1 and 5 Miami when Ajayi another rookie had 8.2yds per carry and more yards than in his first 5 GAMES COMBINED.

People keep pointing to the field goal and making it sound like it was attempted from the the Steelers 20 yard line. If you wanna say something about not going for it on fourth, fine, but Boswell had the leg on the kick and pushed it into the crowd. The execution part of that play is what failed. It wasn't short, but it ended up in the Monongahela. Also, the two games you referenced, the Steelers were getting destroyed with injuries. Philadelphia was like the body bag game, and Miami was just as bad. I agree, they did play down in those two games and got their doors blown off, but injuries played factors in both games.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
People keep pointing to the field goal and making it sound like it was attempted from the the Steelers 20 yard line. If you wanna say something about not going for it on fourth, fine, but Boswell had the leg on the kick and pushed it into the crowd. The execution part of that play is what failed. It wasn't short, but it ended up in the Monongahela. Also, the two games you referenced, the Steelers were getting destroyed with injuries. Philadelphia was like the body bag game, and Miami was just as bad. I agree, they did play down in those two games and got their doors blown off, but injuries played factors in both games.

And Big Ben was playing like **** before the injury

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel as though the Miami game probably had more to do with Strippers than anything else.

Members of the team didn't take the Dolphins seriously and they got their ***** handed to them. I could ***** about Tomlin on that one, but ultimately that's on the players. If they don't have enough discipline and professionalism to take the game seriously - I don't know what to say. It would have been nicer to lose to Tampa, an NFC opponent. But I guess every now and then you need a sharp slap upside the head for a wake-up call.

While I'm saddened about the Cheater's game, I didn't really expect to win it. In fact the game was only made more painful by the fact that the Steelers were in it for so long. You'd like to think that some better adjustments in the 2nd half to match Hoodie's adjustments could have perhaps stolen one, but it truly would have been stealing one. They played a pretty good game given the triage ward of hurt or injured players they've had to deal with this year.

With Ben and both Williams AND Bell as well as a fully healthy Coates along with Brown, I think the Steelers stand a very good chance of winning that game against the Cheaters. But with the team beat to hell as it was, I think they probably did about as well as could ultimately be expected.

Yes, I hate some of the decisions etc. but the Steelers were physically overmatched. End of story.

Last edited:

deljzc

Reaction score
Obviously the Miami loss is much worse on everyone's resume than the New England loss.

Christ, we were 7.5 point favorites for one and 7.5 underdogs for the other. EVERYONE'S expectations, from Vegas to fans, was more optimistic about a win in Miami.

But the New England game did present an opportunity to do something rare and extraordinary, something Tomlin has never done, which is win as a big underdog.

We didn't do it. Move on and see what happens after the bye week.

I am curious if Roethlisberger plays and what the expectations will be playing Baltimore on the road. We will find out if Tomlin and the team fail to reach those expectations. That's really the only relevant criteria to base any coach.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Also before most of the injuries, with Ben and Williams, they played down to their opponents.Interesting word choice .. "PLAYED" .. Mike Tomlin doesn't "PLAY". The "PLAYERS" do.
Against the rookie QB and rookie head coach Philly. See above.
Against 1 and 5 Miami when Ajayi another rookie had 8.2yds per carry and more yards than in his first 5 GAMES COMBINED.Did you see what Ajayi did this past weekend? Kid's going to be pretty damned good. Not an excuse for the defense. But, he ain't exactly chopped liver.

Can't wait til next week's game. This has been, is, and will continue to be a loooong bye week.

bmoritz

Reaction score
Mikey boy isn't a bad coach like many of us lead you to believe. Do I have my complaints about him? Sure. As many stated, poor clock management, the worst red flag challenges etc. But Tomlin does make use of his roster and gives the Steelers faithful a hope of the playoffs even with the amount of injuries the Steelers face. While other teams play musical chairs with coaches, I think it's damn cool the Steelers have only had three Head Coaches in the team's history. That's a damn admirable feat

Just a slight correction, we've had more than 3 heard coaches in the team's history. It's 3 since 1969. Not bashing, just pointing out.

bmoritz

Reaction score
What chipped ham said.

Fair enough, and you and I have had disagreements about this before, but you do put up thoughtful points, which I appreciate. I guess what bothers me the most is the things we are complaining about with Tomlin are not new. He has NOT improved as a coach in 10 years. All make mistakes, but it seems like Mike, for whatever reason, is incapable of learning from them and making changes. He's supposed to be a defensive, particularly DB expert, but under him our defense continues to get progressively worse. To me, this is not in any way shape or form acceptable for the Pittsburgh Steelers. We're not the Miami Dolphins. I don't hate Tomlin, and I've love nothing more than to be proven wrong, but I don't see it, and I've lost patience for giving him the benefit of the doubt. More often than not, IMHO, his decisions and inaction hurt the Steelers much more than help.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Just a slight correction, we've had more than 3 heard coaches in the team's history. It's 3 since 1969. Not bashing, just pointing out.

In the modern nfl era per se. I gotcha

Steeler

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok now that i know Tomlin is a Hillary supporter, FIRE HIM NOW x!!

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Then why does he keep making the same mistakes?

And holding himself accountable in what way?

Does he fine himself for not knowing clock management after over a decade in the league?

I don't need to answer it. Tomlin does. Though you have to learn we are tops in the league at scoring during the last 2min of the half and 2min of the game. That is clock management, and he's doing well in that respect.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Tomllin just SEEMS to never make any adjustments during the game nor does he ever get back on either the defense or offense when they are sitting and try to get them jacked up or eat their ***** out. We know this because they never show him doing anything but getting pouty lips when things go South.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
My problem with the steelers is we are blowing through the best years of a hundred million dollar quarterbacks career as if qbs like Ben grow on trees. It took forever to bring in a good offensive line coach... its taking forever to rebuild the secondary and pass rush. Our coaches are mediocre but the real problem is the front office. Tomlin can win with talent but too many drafting gaffs has left the shelves empty. Butler should be fired he's in over his head. We looked as ****** against the pats last week as we did last year... no excuses for the te running around like he's invisible, again.

Steelin

Contributor
Reaction score
Cowher and his Kordell experiment had me questioning his sanity. 2005 was his saving grace.

Tomlin was given a stacked deck in 2008 and didn't blow it. He has now had quite some time to make his mark. I haven't seen it. His game management abilities have been inconsistent. I don't think it's time to fire him or anything but I do think some things should be addressed.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
In theory the kordell experiment lasted from 97 until half way through 99, when kordell was benched, then we brought in Graham for 2000, who ended up being worse than Kordell, then kordell was benched again a few games into to 2002, and that was pretty much it.