• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Interesting Read about Tomlin

steelhurt

Reaction score
Please don't misinterpret that I'm a Tomlin basher by posting this link but just posting what I think is an interesting read about the coach.

Makes some interesting points though.

This was it.

This was supposed to be Mike Tomlin’s finest hour.

After all, the Steelers had all of the odds stacked against them and the team was going to play lights out after a horrific performance against the Miami Dolphins (who by the way, now look legitimate and will be much better than people think once their offensive line continues to play together). But no, not all. This turned into Mike Tomlin’s nadir moment. Now in his 10th season in the league, yesterday’s game against the New England Patriots was his worst coached game during his decade in Pittsburgh.

Okay, I get it; Landry Jones was at quarterback, the defense was missing Cam Heyward, Tom Brady historically does well against the Steelers, yada yada yada…that still does not excuse Tomlin’s coaching gaffes.

No, Tomlin’s worst moment wasn’t the 2013 season when the team started out 0-4 and also had a moment with Jacoby Jones on Thanksgiving night. No, it wasn’t the 2009 season when he promised to "unleash hell" during December, a month which would see the Steelers lose to a terrible Oakland Raiders team at the last minute and a then 1-11 Cleveland Browns team that saw Brady Quinn go 6 for 19 and 90 yards and still win. This season has been Tomlin’s worst because the expectations were high and the team’s performance has been inconsistent at best, even in the victories (if DeAngelo Hall does his job properly, that 4th and 1 to Antonio Brown in Week 1 is a completely different story). The Steelers have not looked like the lowB repuS contender that they were believed to be, and, in my opinion, the head coach is part of the problem, not the part of the solution.

First, the defense, which is supposedly Tomlin’s forte, continues to be a problem and will likely be the reason why the Steelers will be just an above average team instead of a consistent powerhouse contender like the Patriots. The defense continues to struggle without defensive end Cam Heyward and for the second consecutive week, a running back went well over 120 yards and two touchdowns against the hapless defense.

First, Jay Ajayi (who is looking sharp) and now old friend LeGarrette Blount. However, that isn’t even the biggest issue for the last two weeks. The 3rd down defense has been atrocious: the Dolphins went 7 for 14 in week 6 and the Patriots went 7 for 12, including the first five 3rd down chances of the game. The coach’s job is to put his players in opportunities to succeed. While no one will mistake this current Steelers defensive team to the 2008 version, the bad tackling, poor angles, and most of all, downright stupid penalties (including one by rookie Artie Burns yesterday and the countless ones by Mike Mitchell for most of the season) have to fall at the feet of the coaching staff.

Keith Butler, who had been a good soldier waiting in the wings behind Dick LeBeau for over a decade, looks outmatched at times and the lack of pressure on the opposing passer has been a serious problem all season. Tom Brady was hit just a few times, and Ryan Tannehill last week was hardly touched. If Butler can’t generate pressure with more creative tactics, it is Tomlin’s responsibility to replace him with someone else, like defensive line coach John Mitchell.

The off coverage on 3rd and short is now getting comically absurd but those defensive concepts have been a staple of the Steelers while Tomlin has been on the sidelines. Something needs to change here quickly. It worked for the Bills when they replaced Greg Roman with Anthony Lynn on offense. It might work for the Steelers but one thing is certain: the current method is clearly not working,and waiting for Bud Dupree to get healthy to try to save the Steelers defense is unfair to the second-year player and it is wishful thinking on the Steelers’ part.

The game management decisions are not so amusing and cute anymore. The head coach’s job during the game is to put his team in the best opportunity to win games by putting his players in the best opportunity to succeed on every play. Tomlin failed miserably yesterday with the horrendous replay challenge on the Rob Gronkowski catch, and by letting Chris Boswell try to kick a 54 -yard field goal while behind by 11, and after Boswell missed a 42-yard field goal earlier in the game (not to mention Landry Jones having to burn a timeout within the first five minutes of the 3rd quarter, a timeout that the team could have used in the 4th quarter).

The fact that the Steelers always seem to be just off on every play, and flat out unprepared against teams of lesser talent has been a staple criticism of Tomlin and thus far, he’s done nothing to dispel those criticisms. Tomlin can say his pithy and catchy remarks after games, but as far as the Steelers are concerned, right now, he is part of the problem as to why the Steelers are underachieving.

Until Tomlin changes his routines to help the Steelers best fulfill their potential, the Steelers will continue to rely (or over rely) on Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown, and Le’Veon Bell to save them from the toothless defense and an overrated and consistently outmatched coaching staff (especially on the defensive side of the ball). I would rather see Tomlin say nothing quirky or clever if it means the Steelers will be a well-disciplined bunch who show up to play every game and quit squandering opportunities like they have for most of this season. If the Steelers still have dreams of making it to the lowB repuS, the coaching staff needs to fix themselves first, starting with the head coach.

www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/

Last edited:

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
Best comment from the article:

The game was against the best team in the AFC with the following "excuses"
on offense
1. missing franchise QB- best player on team,
2. playing 3rd string T at RT instead of best pass blocker on team,
3. playing without the #2 (Wheaton), #3 (Bryant), #4 (Rogers) and #5 (Coates) WRs and also losing the #1 for part of the game,
4. playing without the #1 TE, and
5. playing without Deangelo Williams, arguably a top 10 back in the league
on defense
1. missing best defensive player- Cam Hayward,
2. missing best pass rusher- Dupree, and
3. multiple injuries in secondary

and still, if the 3rd string T doesn’t get called for holding, the game is tied at half. If the kicker doesn’t miss a 42 yarder, they stay within 1 score later. If Jones throws over the outside shoulder of Brown in the end zone instead of an interception…… None of those are coaching problems.

I would argue that if you watched the game Sunday, you should come away with an increased appreciation for just how good a coach Tomlin is. If you didn’t, you are likely just looking for an excuse to bash him and the actual facts weren’t going to matter anyway.

nitsuj1225

Reaction score

on offense
3. playing without the #2 (Wheaton), #3 (Bryant), #4 (Rogers) and #5 (Coates) WRs and also losing the #1 for part of the game,
on defense

and still, if the 3rd string T doesn’t get called for holding, the game is tied at half. If the kicker doesn’t miss a 42 yarder, they stay within 1 score later. If Jones throws over the outside shoulder of Brown in the end zone instead of an interception…… None of those are coaching problems.

I would argue that if you watched the game Sunday, you should come away with an increased appreciation for just how good a coach Tomlin is. If you didn’t, you are likely just looking for an excuse to bash him and the actual facts weren’t going to matter anyway.

On the other hand, if the Pats don't drop at least 3 interceptions as well as wide open first down catches on 2 separate 3rd downs that resulted in punts, the game isn't as close as it seemed. You also conveniently left out the 54 yard FG decision or the highly questionable challenge which wasted a TO which would've been helpful on the last drive at the end of the 1st half. If actual facts are getting in the way, at least make sure all the facts are presented, not just the ones that pertain to your agenda.

I am not a Tomlin hater, he has done some good coaching in the past and obviously led us to 2 SB's winning 1 so he's a solid coach and one I bet the majority of NFL teams would like to have. That doesn't mean the guy can't make mistakes and people can't hold him accountable. I do agree some people take it to the extreme as a lot of fans sometimes do but to completely absolve him of any and all wrongdoing is also an extreme I'm not willing to partake in either.

str8liner

Reaction score
Cant remember if I have ever bashed him but you have to admit the guy in the hoodie that was on the other side of the field Sunday, very seldom ever, almost never, makes mistakes like that. And look at what happens when hoodie's defenses turn into sieves. They get fixed in short order.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Coach Tomlin definately has his ups and downs. That debacle in Miami definately falls a partial on the coach. Injuries or not, this defense is below average. How did it get to here is a coaching question. Granted with the injuries delt our coach has done very well. 4-3 with Bell & Bryant SUSPENTION included is a good accomplishment. Now coach has to "bring it" home. Can he???

Salute the nation

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The only interesting article on Tomlin that I want to see is ........."Steelers decide not to extend Head Coach" or even "Steelers fire Head Coach"

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Cant remember if I have ever bashed him but you have to admit the guy in the hoodie that was on the other side of the field Sunday, very seldom ever, almost never, makes mistakes like that. And look at what happens when hoodie's defenses turn into sieves. They get fixed in short order.

When hoodies defenses turn into sieves, they go out and get a couple of real good free agents to help turn it around. Can you say that Tomlin has that kind of support from the front office? With the way our FO manages the salary cap, do you ever see Tomlin getting that kind of support?

Steelerz99

Forefather
Reaction score
I am baffled by the long FG attempts. This isn't the first time either. They seem to kill the emotion and any momentum the team has built and as a coach, shouldn't he be trying to nurture that? I was very angry at that on Sunday.

P

POP

on offense
on defense

If me auntie had bullocks she'd be me uncle.

Although you state facts, none of those refute the points made in the article.

Cool Shades makes dumb coaching moves all the time, regardless of who is hurt.

But as long as he "looks cool" on the sidelines, that is all that matters.

18zby405wm7jnjpg.jpg

TWEEK1106

Reaction score
I'm not what I would consider a Tomlin hater, but I don't think the man is head coach material for the Steelers.

The deficiencies he has are the same ones he had a decade ago.....no growth, no change, and a alternating unconcerned/petulant attitude (depending on who's bringing up a deficiency of his)towards most of the media when questioned about it.

Final point...... this team has deserved better than MT during the prime of Ben's career. He could be a HC in the NFL..... I just don't think he should be the Steelers HC.

How many playoff wins in the last 6yrs?

1???????

And we have the Bengals to thank for the single win?

Anyone who disagrees I think may be much more of a Tomlin fan than a Steeler fan.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not what I would consider a Tomlin hater, but I don't think the man is head coach material for the Steelers.

The deficiencies he has are the same ones he had a decade ago.....no growth, no change, and a alternating unconcerned/petulant attitude (depending on who's bringing up a deficiency of his)towards most of the media when questioned about it.

Final point...... this team has deserved better than MT during the prime of Ben's career. He could be a HC in the NFL..... I just don't think he should be the Steelers HC.

How many playoff wins in the last 6yrs?

1???????

And we have the Bengals to thank for the single win?

Anyone who disagrees I think may be much more of a Tomlin fan than a Steeler fan.

I disagree. And I have been a Steelers fan for DECADES. Funny how some of you come out of the woodwork after a loss and yet are nowhere to be found after a win. Seems to me that many of you are much more of "Tomlin haters" than Steelers fans. Players, Coordinators, the front office, none of these factor into wins and losses. Just "Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin". lmao

But hey, you're entitled to your opinions, hates and in some instances, unadulterated prejudices. I'm going "moving on to Baltimore" and expecting to root for a Steelers win.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
on defense

And technically you're off on this in that the Steelers were subbing Shazier in and out, playing Deebo as they do sporadically and of course keeping the porcelain Golson carefully bubble-wrapped and packaged in straw so he doesn't hurt anything.

Which is why this season is finished before it even got started.

All the above AND Mike Tomlin staring from the sidelines while Roethlisberger actually pays attention to the game... Watch the film. Ben is actually engaged. Tomlin is standing there like he's waiting for a valet to bring his car.

Last edited:

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't mind so much the "we were without the following players" arguments, because that does in fact carry some weight.
But we're all grown adults and fairly reasonable.
Can we PLEASE stop the whole, "Well, if this guy caught the ball, if we would have sacked Brady, if The Bos 2 makes that kick, etc" arguments?!?!?
The ONLY time that has any credibility is if it's the final play of the game.
Other than that, if the WR catches the ball, if we make that sack, if we make that kick, if we intercept that pass - EVERYTHING after that would also have changed, too.
Hoodie and Shades would call different plays because the situations would all be different.
The same plays, and the same succession of plays would have all been different and a completely different game altogether.

If only.....
If only you would think about what you're saying for more than three seconds.
Good grief, Charlie Browns.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
BOTTOM line is Tomlin isn't going anywhere. I doubt Butler is going anywhere as the injury excuse will hold his JOB another season. Haley has some of the BEST players in the game so he's set for another 3yrs + . So crying and hoping for failur isn't going to happen. Of the three, Butler is on the short and hopefully due to desperation, will instill a radical game plan two Sunday's from now.

Salute the nation

Acereros

Reaction score

on offense
on defense

IMO this is an extremely childish post. Something you would hear in a playground of a primary school.......

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score

on offense
on defense

So when we lose to horrible teams does that make you walk away from that thinking how horrible of a coach he is?

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
We just had a pro Butler post a couple weeks back, now he's a bum.

Honestly, we have 2 special athletes on D that can cover up our warts, and they are Shazier and Heyward. If they are healthy, we're potentially a top 10-13 defense. Without them, we are 27-30th.

TWEEK1106

Reaction score
I disagree . And I have been a Steelers fan for DECADES. Funny how some of you come out of the woodwork after a loss and yet are nowhere to be found after a win. Seems to me that many of you are much more of "Tomlin haters" than Steelers fans. Players, Coordinators, the front office, none of these factor into wins and losses. Just "Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin". lmao

But hey, you're entitled to your opinions, hates and in some instances, unadulterated prejudices. I'm going "moving on to Baltimore" and expecting to root for a Steelers win.

Why?

Why do you disagree?

Is there any reasoning behind your stance? Or do you simply subscribe to the "the Steelers know what they're doing and it's heresy to question anyone in the organization" line of thinking?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We just had a pro Butler post a couple weeks back, now he's a bum.

Honestly, we have 2 special athletes on D that can cover up our warts, and they are Shazier and Heyward. If they are healthy, we're potentially a top 10-13 defense. Without them, we are 27-30th.

I'm hoping DUPREE is a wart coverer type also. Until he plays we just don't know what we have in him. INJURIES have a way of taking Defenses down, the more injuries the further down.

Salute the nation