• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

I LOVE me some Mike Tomlin, BUT...

ark steel

Reaction score
I know this has been debated to death AND most of us realize BeliCHEAT is just an end product of an abuse of illicit/unsavory practices led by Ernie Adams but I will attempt to condense my opinion statistically.

BB went to Cleveland in 1991 as HC. Ernie Adams was brought on as an Offensive Asst. BB has some respectable coaches at his disposal and STILL SUCKED. He had Ernie Acorsi, Mike Lombardi, Nick Saban as DC and our own John Mitchell for several years in Cleveland to no real impact.

It wasn't UNTIL Ernie Adams job changed from an on the field, Offensive Asst. to a position off the field under the title of Special Assignment (whatever that means) that the team had their only good season at 11-5 (coincidence??)
The next year, they lost Saban at DC which (along with a tougher schedule due to their previous yr) under new DC Rick Venturi, the team went from allowing only 1 team to score over 20 points (204 total for 17 games) to allowing NINE TEAMS to score over 20 Pts (356 total for 16 games). Not to mention, Modell announced the team was moving to Baltimore during the season.

So, during BB's time in Cleveland...he didn't do anything "coach-worthy" UNTIL Ernie went on "Special Assignment" in 1994. Went from 7-9 (1992,1993) to 11-5 (1994), the SAME YEAR Ernie's position was changed!?

Then, after spending some time as Bill Parcell's asst in New York, without Ernie. 9-7 (1997), 12-4 (1998) and 8-8 (1999) he went to New England WITH newly added friend and Director of Football Research, Ernie Adams.
What followed was a 2000 season of 5-11 (338 point allowed, 276 points for), 2001 (signal taping now in full swing) 11-5 (272 points allowed, 371 points for)...and the Championship. The cheating and filming went on for years until Spygate was revealed and subsequently destroyed in 2008. A good history and continued abuse is in this article: http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

Now, with many believing their championships are tainted, they continue to videotape (it's legal as long as it's not done from the sidelines OR in real-time games against an opponent from where it could be relayed immediately to a coach or Ernie), they continue to 'bend the rule-book' to their advantage in many other ways and the NFL protects itself by rule modifications after the fact.

BB, is, was, and always will be, a cheater. Maybe not in the legal sense, but in an an acceptable sense. I coach football and while we all want to win, MOST of us want to win with the dignity of knowing we did it by using 'acceptable' and 'fair' practice means...BB will use any means at his disposal, ethical or not, as long as their are no hard rules against them...and even when there are, accepting that the outcome is worth the potential risk.

He is NO HOF coach to me. He is what other coaches despise...UNETHICAL.

Late Harrumph!

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
And you couldn't post this in the other belichek threads

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I know this has been debated to death AND most of us realize BeliCHEAT is just an end product of an abuse of illicit/unsavory practices led by Ernie Adams but I will attempt to condense my opinion statistically.

BB went to Cleveland in 1991 as HC. Ernie Adams was brought on as an Offensive Asst. BB has some respectable coaches at his disposal and STILL SUCKED. He had Ernie Acorsi, Mike Lombardi, Nick Saban as DC and our own John Mitchell for several years in Cleveland to no real impact.

It wasn't UNTIL Ernie Adams job changed from an on the field, Offensive Asst. to a position off the field under the title of Special Assignment (whatever that means) that the team had their only good season at 11-5 (coincidence??)
The next year, they lost Saban at DC which (along with a tougher schedule due to their previous yr) under new DC Rick Venturi, the team went from allowing only 1 team to score over 20 points (204 total for 17 games) to allowing NINE TEAMS to score over 20 Pts (356 total for 16 games). Not to mention, Modell announced the team was moving to Baltimore during the season.

So, during BB's time in Cleveland...he didn't do anything "coach-worthy" UNTIL Ernie went on "Special Assignment" in 1994. Went from 7-9 (1992,1993) to 11-5 (1994), the SAME YEAR Ernie's position was changed!?

Then, after spending some time as Bill Parcell's asst in New York, without Ernie. 9-7 (1997), 12-4 (1998) and 8-8 (1999) he went to New England WITH newly added friend and Director of Football Research, Ernie Adams.
What followed was a 2000 season of 5-11 (338 point allowed, 276 points for), 2001 (signal taping now in full swing) 11-5 (272 points allowed, 371 points for)...and the Championship. The cheating and filming went on for years until Spygate was revealed and subsequently destroyed in 2008. A good history and continued abuse is in this article: http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

Now, with many believing their championships are tainted, they continue to videotape (it's legal as long as it's not done from the sidelines OR in real-time games against an opponent from where it could be relayed immediately to a coach or Ernie), they continue to 'bend the rule-book' to their advantage in many other ways and the NFL protects itself by rule modifications after the fact.

BB, is, was, and always will be, a cheater. Maybe not in the legal sense, but in an an acceptable sense. I coach football and while we all want to win, MOST of us want to win with the dignity of knowing we did it by using 'acceptable' and 'fair' practice means...BB will use any means at his disposal, ethical or not, as long as their are no hard rules against them...and even when there are, accepting that the outcome is worth the potential risk.

Post should be stickied for future reference

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
the Texans couldn't have called a worse game on offense or defense if they were trying to lose

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

it is known khaleesi

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
He is a cheater and that is documented. His next offense in cheating gets him BANNED FOR LIFE.

That being said, he is also excellent at coaching fundamentals. You rarely see them hit for a pre-snap penalty. Their players play hard through the whistle on every play (or else they get benched). And he's excellent at game management (Down and distance, clock management, always deferring to get the second half possession, going for it on 4th and shorts). That is how you win more games than you lose.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No love or respect for that cheating prick.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Any respect or kudos the man deserves gets a big ole mother ******* * next to it, just like anything else associated with that franchise since the Parcells/Carrol years.

P

POP

He did jack **** in Cleveland. I'm sorry I don't buy into his greatness. If it seems to good to be true it probably isn't.They owe us a god damn super bowl trip as well. Cheating *****.

No, no, no. Selective memory, or just a bad one. Hoody had a rebuild job to do and was doing just that, posting a 10-6 season on his way to building a contender, until Art pulled the rug out from under his feet with announcement of moving the team.

Hoody was well on his way to building a good team until Art did that. Watch "A Football Life, the 1995 Browns" and you will become better educated.

P

POP

And just when would that be? You ******* know hey have the radios tapped in that stadium. I don't care what the NFL says they monitor. No NFL with a bunch of cast-offs thrown together does things like that with a 3rd stringer in.......

Only the master head coach could do that. And he did it again. Just an amazing job of coaching.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Only the master head coach could do that. And he did it again. Just an amazing job of coaching.

images

P

POP

His team is always well prepared almost never makes dumb mistakes, either players or the coaching staff. Obviously no one can do a good job in Cleveland.

He was 10-6 and on the rise in Cleveland until Art announced the move, then, of course, all hell broke loose. He is the best coach of our life times.

Slash#10

Reaction score
Steelers have won with Vick, Jones, Batch, Leftwich etc... Texans were down right lousey. Gave up the ball 3 or 4 times and couldn'tcross the 50. Ya'll got to be kidding me with this hard on for BB. Yes he has his qualities but he also was very lucky that his 6th round pick QB turned into a HOF. Must like the potential AB has just needs a few rings.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate his guts but he's a great coach even when he's not cheating.

Have to agree. That old wanker knows what he's doing, even if cheating. Nfl is win at all cost. So that evil hooded **** is doing something ahead of the league

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Fixed it for you. Why don't you just go to a Patriots board and do us all a favor.

Bbbbuu but he is a STEELERS fan....................................quit picking on the ******* cheatriot troll.

Salute the nation

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You know, I hope someone already stated it...but I doubt it so...Last season Tomlin won with 1st, 2nd an 3rd string QBs and nobody outside of Steeler Nation gave half a ****.

So **** Belicose Bill.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate his guts but he's a great coach even when he's not cheating.

And yet he did nothing at Cleveland. Why is that?

Belicheat is no great coach. He got to an organization that cheats that is all.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score

Harrumph for the breakdown.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
There were a few in the Nation never acknowledged it either.

So true so ******* true..Bill is a God. But Tomlin does the same thing..it's

Tomlin sucks

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
You know, I hope someone already stated it...but I doubt it so...Last season Tomlin won with 1st, 2nd an 3rd string QBs and nobody outside of Steeler Nation gave half a ****.

So **** Belicose Bill.

Great post. Funny how that works