• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How Do You Grade HC Tomlin’s Performance in 2022

FordFairLane

Reaction score
First half F and the second half an A. So combined a C.

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
0.500 (technically, 0.529411) for the regular season. For the playoffs, well: no playoffs, no playoff wins, no Super Bowl. That puts is at 0.000 (technically, 0.000) in the playoffs. Tomlin should get some plus for a partial rebuilding year but also some negative for refusing to deal with Canada (yes, I believe it is in his control).

So I randomly put Tomlin's season at .475. Below the line, obviously.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
I have to say not being a fan of Tomlin's style of coaching, but you have to say and we have heard plenty of praise of the players this past week, he did something to keep this team from throwing in the towel. If Tomlin has the guts to get a rising star as the OC this young offense could be very good. Steelers can't get it in their head to hire some better specialty coaches, that can improve the play of some players. I have to give Tomlin some love for how we ended season. Still believe, Tomlin cannot make changes in games, especially after halftime.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
D+ to C-. It's not that hard to pull the team together when the backend of your schedule is a bunch of stiffs. Their record against playoff teams was 3 - 5. 4 of their 9 victories were against the NFC South where the top team finished with a worse record than they did at 8-9. Everyone will get pumped up for the draft where they will draft a few studs and a few head scratchers then go on to another 9-8 season. I'd like to see another Super Bowl but I'm not sure I'll live long enough to see it.
I'd give him a C as well. I give him a lot of crap, but he kept the team from folding up. Means nothing from the big picture perspective though...he is what he is.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
In the words of Kay Adams of GMF “we know who coach Tomlin is: he’s 8-8”. I keep saying winning’s a habit but so is losing. And everyone is just getting too use to him bumbling. As to KP he should have started from day one. he was the best qb in camp by a mile. He was a 5th senior familiar with everything when drafted him. Tomlin should have played him and cut tubiski coming out of camp. Instead he made him captain! tomlins lucky his “brilliant” maneuvers didn’t split the team! that being said after getting off to a horrible start he should have fired Canada at mid season. Never have we seen a worse display of coaching as we have over last two years with Canada at the helm of the offense… just horribly pathetic. For tomlin to even consider keeping Canada really makes you have to question his football IQ. Ya they went 7-2 but it’s wasn’t because of the offense so much as it was the defense woke up and who we played. The last two games were identical to last season where KP, like Ben, willed us to wins inspire of Canada. and you can say Canada has KP‘s blessing… well f**k him. There is a reasons we have GM’s and coaches and players don’t run the show. Hes a damn rookie what do you really expect him to say?

Same with the defense. This defense isn’t playing like the second highest paid in football. Without Watt this defense is ******. The line is crap, no linebacking, the secondary Is a mess. Heyward, Fitzpatrick and Watt keep it all together. This team has real talent but it won’t get to a Super Bowl with tomlin coaching them not not without a major overhaul of the coaching staff, that I can tell that right now without a crystal ball. They need solid pros at the coordinator spots. Bring in a defensive coach like Vic Fangio, an ex John fox protege. He’s one of the best in the game sitting at home spending the millions Denver gave him. Bring an experience offense coordinator like Adam Gase another fox coach sitting at home spending the millions Miami gave him to tank. Best play caller in football, says Payton Manning and ask us, he beat us with Tim Tebow! There are options out there. Let’s get back where we belong “winning” and playing for superbowls! and if nothing else, at least expecting to! This is Pittsburgh we’re talking about not Chicago or Detroit! Watching the Steelers this year you could only tell by the color of the uniforms!

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
One spot out of the playoffs with a non losing record should be called the Tomlin Zone… this was the 4th or 5th time he has done it… its really weird
I would expand the Tomlin Zone to include one-and-done losses in the postseason...he's done that six times as well.

For comparison, Cowher only went 0-1 in the playoffs twice -- in his first two seasons.

pittbull

Contributor
Reaction score
By that logic you can't be below average if you get to the playoffs. Just as I'd say this season was an above average coaching job, Tomlin has had several below average coaching jobs when he made the playoffs IMO.

Sure you can. I was a below average student, but extra credit got me the grades I needed. Playoffs are the extra credit to save the grade. I don’t know what crazy bell-curve you’re using. :LOL:

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
I would expand the Tomlin Zone to include one-and-done losses in the postseason...he's done that six times as well.

For comparison, Cowher only went 0-1 in the playoffs twice -- in his first two seasons.
It's like with the Tomlin Zone his fans would say of the relationship, "we're in a really good place right now."

4 playoff game winning seasons out of 16 and counting. He has caused many long time fans to alter perceptions of the team and franchise.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Not a Mike Tomlin bash thread. We have more than enough of those around here but an objective and fair observation by you, Steelernation on the overall performance of our HC this year.
I gave this some thought and although as you all must know by now, I’ve been in the move on from Tomlin group but I did want to be objective and fair with him.
I gave him an overall grade of B- based on the following.
Yes, he kept the 53 together and didn’t allow them to quit and rallied them to a strong finish and for that I was impressed and it carried a lot of weight with my grade.
I can’t dismiss the slow start of 2-7 since you have to also credit Tomlin with that as well. The good and bad is only fair way to evaluate him.
I did not like the way he handled Kenny by inserting him into the second half of the Jets game cold with any first team reps and feel like he knee jerked with that decision. Probably would have been better to start Kenny after the bye week when you could have had him take first team reps for 10 days.
I give him credit for sticking with the same five OL and letting them gel which they got better than I thought they would. Still think we need to upgrade LT and LG but it was better than I thought it would be.
I gave him credit for finally going to a two platoon RB system with Najee and Jaylen although Najee got most of the snaps I can’t help think they adding Warren to the mix, helped Najee get breathers and it showed in his second half production.
I did not give him credit for his lack of playbook utilization and felt like they should have opened it up more as Kenny became more comfortable. Failed to use the middle of the field, didn’t use Muuuth and Big George as much as I would have liked.
Should have gotten Little Heyward more involved too.
Gave him credit for finally using both RBs out of the backfield on passes more but that was too late in the season.
Still crappy at challenges, Missed two Sunday that could have cost us but didn’t. Najee’s TD that wasn’t called or challenged but he crossed the plain should have been challenged. Also a sideline catch by I think it was Big George that was caught and controlled but he didn’t challenge.
I give him credit for keeping this defense on point and also for realizing that Bush sucks and playing the rookie Mark Robinson.
I do not give him good marks for keeping bubbles as his ST Coach year after year. The STs continue to make the same mistakes year in and out. Time for him to take his bazooka gum and move on.
Finally, even though he kept the team together I can’t get past the fact that they only beat one team with a winning record in that 7-2 stretch and that was the Ravens with a backup. I know, they only play the teams on their schedule but when they played the good teams in the first half of season, he got out coached and they got smoked.
I also know that TJ missed seven games but you simply cannot base everything on one defensive player. You better have a guy that can at least be a suitable replacement. Certainly not the same caliber as TJ but the team can’t just fall apart when he goes down. That’s not being prepared and Tomlin has either have a decent backup in place or a different scheme.The season can’t stop when one guy goes down.
We lost Rod Woodson in 95 and he didn’t return until the SB but we managed to win lots of games without him.
Anyway I’m sticking with a generous B-.
What say you?

i think this is a fair assessment.

TheDudeAbides

Reformed Lurker
Reaction score
Coach Platitude earns a D from me. Barely win against teams we should roll over. Lose a couple of blow outs. The never-ending lousy, stupid game time decisions. Hasn't won a playoff game since January 15, 2017.

One thing that really got me again this season was him NOT having his team's back during games. I mean, c'mon Mike! You can't challenge that Pickens reception that was literally right in front of you? You can't throw a fit when your rookie QB gets hammered after sliding down with no call? I know that Bill Cowher wasn't a great tactician, but he came to his players' defense when someone was clearly taking liberties. Show a little passion, Shades! Act like you're paying attention maybe? I'm probably alone on this, but I find his seeming lack of care on the sidelines to be appalling and unforgivable. Give me a little Billy Martin once per season!

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Sure you can. I was a below average student, but extra credit got me the grades I needed. Playoffs are the extra credit to save the grade. I don’t know what crazy bell-curve you’re using. :LOL:
Im sure youre on your way to stanford. I mean you made all that extra credit

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
Coach Platitude earns a D from me. Barely win against teams we should roll over. Lose a couple of blow outs. The never-ending lousy, stupid game time decisions. Hasn't won a playoff game since January 15, 2017.

One thing that really got me again this season was him NOT having his team's back during games. I mean, c'mon Mike! You can't challenge that Pickens reception that was literally right in front of you? You can't throw a fit when your rookie QB gets hammered after sliding down with no call? I know that Bill Cowher wasn't a great tactician, but he came to his players' defense when someone was clearly taking liberties. Show a little passion, Shades! Act like you're paying attention maybe? I'm probably alone on this, but I find his seeming lack of care on the sidelines to be appalling and unforgivable. Give me a little Billy Martin once per season!
Love the Billy Martin contrast. Considering that Billy Martin became famous for the number of times he was fired - so much so that it became a running gag or parody. Our plodding head coach is becoming famous because he is unfireable.

Possibly the most unfireable HC in modern sports history.

madinsomniac

Reaction score

17 Broderick Jones OT | Georgia
A
32 Brian Branch S | Alabama
A
49 Andrew Vorhees IOL | USC
A
80 Marvin Mims WR | Oklahoma
B+
119 Byron Young (AL) DL | Alabama
A+
235 Charlie Jones WR | Purdue
B+

No CB and low priority on the DL… coulda went DL instead of Branch, but was trying to score an A-Grade lol… i do like Branch though …

In the 7th I took bpa… nothing amazing was there

It wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t take a CB this year and just sign Sutton and renegotiate wj3

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

17 Broderick Jones OT | Georgia
A
32 Brian Branch S | Alabama
A
49 Andrew Vorhees IOL | USC
A
80 Marvin Mims WR | Oklahoma
B+
119 Byron Young (AL) DL | Alabama
A+
235 Charlie Jones WR | Purdue
B+

No CB and low priority on the DL… coulda went DL instead of Branch, but was trying to score an A-Grade lol… i do like Branch though …

In the 7th I took bpa… nothing amazing was there

It wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t take a CB this year and just sign Sutton and renegotiate wj3
There is an article out that the Steelers had/have no intention on bringing him back. I believe it was Dulac who is usually hit or miss.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
There is an article out that the Steelers had/have no intention on bringing him back. I believe it was Dulac who is usually hit or miss.
If they let Sutton walk, they we are almost certainly retaining WJ3… the thing is while we all want a true #1 cb, they might not be thinking they need that as much as we do.. remember, tgey went into this year thinking Witherspoon was definitely a starter outside, and he hurt that hamstring early on and it lingered all year causing him to miss the majority of the season… they may see Witherspoon, Wallace, Pierre, and WJ3 as a solid group on the outside.. and norwood and Maulet capable of holding down the slot…

I never take for granted that they see what the fan consensus sees… they have their own opinions

Edit, I misunderstood you. i see the Dulac article was talking about letting WJ 3 walk… if that’s the case they could just reup sutton and think that is fine… again, what they think and what we do are two different things

Last edited:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
If they let Sutton walk, they we are almost certainly retaining WJ3… the thing is while we all want a true #1 cb, they might not be thinking they need that as much as we do.. remember, tgey went into this year thinking Witherspoon was definitely a starter outside, and he hurt that hamstring early on and it lingered all year causing him to miss the majority of the season… they may see Witherspoon, Wallace, Pierre, and WJ3 as a solid group on the outside.. and norwood and Maulet capable of holding down the slot…

I never take for granted that they see what the fan consensus sees… they have their own opinions

Edit, I misunderstood you. i see the Dulac article was talking about letting WJ 3 walk… if that’s the case they could just reup sutton and think that is fine… again, what they think and what we do are two different things
Sutton will be way cheaper with a prorated signing bonus.

They could re-sign WJ3 as well and his $12M drops to about $5M

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You have to be Mel Kiper grading his hometown Ravens...

If I was drinking hot chocolate, I’d have brown everywhere………………

****-ing hilarious !!!!

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Not bringing WJ3 unless a very cheap prove it deal would be the only way. A broken CB that has man coverage strength in his younger days, isn’t the best fit here anyways.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
One spot out of the playoffs with a non losing record should be called the Tomlin Zone… this was the 4th or 5th time he has done it… its really weird
The standard is the standard.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not even reading all the posts first.

A is my grade.

We went into the season with the retirement of Ben and the death of Dwayne Haskins. Let that sink in...

They came out on all cylinders and beat the world beaters (Cincy) right out the gate and TJ got hurt.

To go 7-2 after those type of heartaches... totally miraculous.

Thank you.