• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How Do You Grade HC Tomlin’s Performance in 2022

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
B.
Does a good job handling players.
Does a mostly lousy job hiring assistants.
I give Josh Pray an A- though. He's better at what he does, than Tomlin is at what he does.

Burghthing21

Reaction score
Issues
1. Death of Dwayne Haskins, repercussions for Chase Claypool
2. Death of Franco Harris
3. First time with a new rookie NFL QB See #5
4. Injuries A. Najee, B. Watt
5. Inexperienced offensive line. Made offense challenging in the first half.
6. Game management-Timeouts and challenges.
7. Inability to attack all areas of the field/defense.

Kudos
1. Compassion to hold team together after #1 and #2.
2. Learned sometimes things need to change. Playing a rookie QB, running back by committee.
3. Patient under pressure. Even though the house appeared to be burning down to the fans, practiced his craft, put out he fires, and woked on rebuilding!
4. Ability to get maximum effort from most players rookies to veterans.
5. Increasing comfort with QB
6. Willing to mold system to his talented players.
7. Walks to the beat of his own drummer, obviously a great role model for his players.

Few if any coaches would have been able to pull this off like Mr. Michael Tomlin!

Grade B

GBpack

Reaction score
Issues

Kudos
2. Learned sometimes things need to change. Playing a rookie QB, running back by committee.
3. Patient under pressure. Even though the house appeared to be burning down to the fans, practiced his craft, put out he fires, and woked on rebuilding!
7. Walks to the beat of his own drummer, obviously a great role model for his players.

Few if any coaches would have been able to pull this off like Mr. Michael Tomlin!

Grade B
Is he sticking around next year?

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Issues

Kudos

Grade B
I think I might be reading the wrong thread

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
When you win more than you lose I will never give you lower than a C. When you don't make the playoffs I will never give you higher than a C. That is why you strap them up. I am far from a participation trophy type of fan. Off the field they failed to identify Bush wasn't the answer, didn't give any real competition to LT. Brought Canada back despite his obvious deficiencies. Had a better DC option but decided to stick with their guy.

On the field it is the same ol in game slow decision making or no decision making, or worse bad decision making.
Against the top teams it was too often embarrassing. I can fathom a loss better if you are at least competitive against the Buffalo's, etc. Know when to challenge or give the job to someone else.

Then we have the trend start slow finish strong, or start strong and collapse. It is always miss the playoffs or be embarrassed in the playoffs. For a fan not a fan of participation trophies you can only take so much of this. Constantly lowering expectations based off their trend for average to mediocre.

So I will break down my grades.

Coaching C- no playoffs
Overall Tomlin tenure -C
Offseason moves (Includes resigning their own and free agency)- B
Draft- B
Owners- D
what has to happen to get an A in drafting?

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
1st. Pickett is the starting QB with a mid-late 1st round pick. That's worth 2 starters all by itself hehe
2nd. Pickens starting WR and proven deep terror
3rd. Leal on his way to a starting spot
4th. Austin Injured
6th. Little Heyward, the kid got playing time and thrived at every chance he got. I'd love seeing more 2 TE sets with him on the field or as an H-back.
7th.a. Robinson, benched Bush despite having played the ILB position for just a couple of years, the kid can become a spot starter, we haven't seen his floor yet.
7th.b. Oladokun, mismanaged and wasted pick.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
D+ to C-. It's not that hard to pull the team together when the backend of your schedule is a bunch of stiffs. Their record against playoff teams was 3 - 5. 4 of their 9 victories were against the NFC South where the top team finished with a worse record than they did at 8-9. Everyone will get pumped up for the draft where they will draft a few studs and a few head scratchers then go on to another 9-8 season. I'd like to see another Super Bowl but I'm not sure I'll live long enough to see it.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
1st. Pickett is the starting QB with a mid-late 1st round pick. That's worth 2 starters all by itself hehe
2nd. Pickens starting WR and proven deep terror
3rd. Leal on his way to a starting spot
4th. Austin Injured
6th. Little Heyward, the kid got playing time and thrived at every chance he got. I'd love seeing more 2 TE sets with him on the field or as an H-back.
7th.a. Robinson, benched Bush despite having played the ILB position for just a couple of years, the kid can become a spot starter, we haven't seen his floor yet.
7th.b. Oladokun, mismanaged and wasted pick.
Maybe.... A possible. We can call that two and a possible if we are playing spades.

😁

pittbull

Contributor
Reaction score
Can’t be above average if you don’t get in the playoffs. I’ll give him a C+. He get’s the “+” because they finished strong and improved as the year went on.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he should have put in rudolph if he thought mitch was doing poorly, and didnt want to throw his rookie in cold ;)
Hard to do when the guy wasn't even active for that Jets game. Or 15 out of 16 others. 😎

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Issues
Wait, so in your opinion, TJ's 7-game absence (during which the team went 1-6) was not the most significant injury, but also only part B of the 4th biggest issue of the season? Well behind "repercussions for Chase Claypool"? Whatever that means?

lol

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
C, until he hires staff and coordinators that other teams in the league would make job offers to.

Reactions: xjx

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
I'd give him about a C, going 9-8 with the youth on offense and without Watt on defense for much of the season.

They finally seem to have fixed the running game after about five seasons, but it won't mean much if it takes them half the season to get it going again next year.

Pickett improved throughout the season as well, for which Tomlin also deserves some credit.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
I'm waiting for yinz to lose your ever-loving minds when Coach Canada returns for his third season. It's GOLD JERRY!!

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm waiting for yinz to lose your ever-loving minds when Coach Canada returns for his third season. It's GOLD JERRY!!
2023 SN: Why can’t we run the ball, wtf jet sweep again, nothing over the middle, come on take a shot down field. **** punting again. Well at least we didn’t have a losing season.

Something like that right?

steelcan58

Reaction score
Can’t be above average if you don’t get in the playoffs. I’ll give him a C+. He get’s the “+” because they finished strong and improved as the year went on.
By that logic you can't be below average if you get to the playoffs. Just as I'd say this season was an above average coaching job, Tomlin has had several below average coaching jobs when he made the playoffs IMO.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
2023 SN: Why can’t we run the ball, wtf jet sweep again, nothing over the middle, come on take a shot down field. **** punting again. Well at least we didn’t have a losing season.

Something like that right?
WTF??!! Why are they keeping Canada?!!? HE COULDNT POUR WATER OUT OF A BOOT IF THE DIRECTIONS WERE WRITTEN ON THE BOTTOM!!!

Something like that

I think Ben put it best. The Steelers had to run the ball more and limit how many throws KP had in the game. When you're running the ball and eating clock, you're not scoring 30+ points per game. As KP gets more comfortable and the game slows down a bit for him, you'll see the offense open up more and scoring more points per game.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Meh. C being generous. Look at our wins only 3 wins against playoff teams. 1 Cincy long snapper away. 2 Tampa who has a losing record. 3 ravens with a back up Qb. No real great wins this season.

The buck stops with Tomlin. And the way I see the 2 and 6 start, is we played scared stayed away from the middle of the field. There are no style points, go down giving it your best effort. To me the game plans we came out with were for pride. Let’s keep this as close as possible and not get blown out. A L is an L. Let the team learn from mistakes and progress faster for it. In the 1st half of the season players were bitching to the media about having to run the plays called. Blame Canada but ultimately it is Tomlin.

Also Bush has been talked about and how ridiculous it was for a change not to be made. What about Harris? It was obvious he was hurt bad in the beginning of the season and we just kept running him. We had snell and warren to carry the load. Talk on the board was Harris was a bust. Now healthy he looks great. This is on Tomlin as well.

Tomlin’s X’s and O’s In game adjustments and challenge skills are all below the line.

All in all what I expected this season…. Another season of getting the bare minimum out of a team. That is what we have had over the last decade. Something has to change.\

About how I see it. C-

The Steelers got lucky in the list Cincy game 5 turnovers plus an injured long snapper and the Ravens back up QB. We were fortunate in the Raiders game to. If we don't end up on the plus side of turnovers we really didn't beat anyone good.

Tomlin x's and o's, game day adjustments, timeout usage, red flag issues, and sideline coaching are below par.

Agreed. The Steeler need a new reach coach. If I were to create a poll 6 years ago that said if hasn't won a playoff game is six seasons, should he stay or go ? all but dark shades Ike would say he's gone. Yet he's still here.

Stewey

Reaction score
I'm B+, I like the way he challenged the team through adversity. Never lost the locker room at 2-6 and had everyone playing to win FOR HIM at the end of the season. Myles Jack said it best when no alarm bells went off at 2-6. He's never been in that situation where the team didn't go **** up at 2-6.

We need an objective eye in the sky, not on the sidelines for challenges. When games mean so much, you can't lose one because you can't see the angle from the field or jumbo tron.

I could see the offense open as they year went on. They tried to give KP too much room in the passing game early on, and it led to INTs and losses. They simplified the playbook, concentrated on enhancing the run game, and then started peppering in long passes, and KP thrived. This was an excellent coaching job.

I also like the big defensive personnel changes after losing to BAL and was a big reason why we shut down BAL the 2nd time.

Good analysis but B+ is way too close to an A. lol

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
When you win more than you lose I will never give you lower than a C. When you don't make the playoffs I will never give you higher than a C. That is why you strap them up. I am far from a participation trophy type of fan. Off the field they failed to identify Bush wasn't the answer, didn't give any real competition to LT. Brought Canada back despite his obvious deficiencies. Had a better DC option but decided to stick with their guy.

On the field it is the same ol in game slow decision making or no decision making, or worse bad decision making.
Against the top teams it was too often embarrassing. I can fathom a loss better if you are at least competitive against the Buffalo's, etc. Know when to challenge or give the job to someone else.

Then we have the trend start slow finish strong, or start strong and collapse. It is always miss the playoffs or be embarrassed in the playoffs. For a fan not a fan of participation trophies you can only take so much of this. Constantly lowering expectations based off their trend for average to mediocre.

So I will break down my grades.

Coaching C- no playoffs
Overall Tomlin tenure -C
Offseason moves (Includes resigning their own and free agency)- B
Draft- B
Owners- D

Tomlin does not run the draft, Colbert did. So he get an INC for the draft. Well he did turn down two trade down offers that are reported. He inherited a super bowl roster and pretty much pissed 5 years of Ben's prime.

Here is a not so reported fact. For being good with the media he has yet to offer a sit down one on one, has he? You can tell some coaches are very good like Johnson, Billy Hoodie, and Sean Payton. Listen to them speak . But Tomlin won't go there, perhaps because personality and smiles only takes you so far. This is why I want to see the Steelers or Tomlin do a Hard Knox type of show.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin does not run the draft, Colbert did. So he get an INC for the draft. Well he did turn down two trade down offers that are reported. He inherited a super bowl roster and pretty much pissed 5 years of Ben's prime.

Here is a not so reported fact. For being good with the media he has yet to offer a sit down one on one, has he? You can tell some coaches are very good like Johnson, Billy Hoodie, and Sean Payton. Listen to them speak . But Tomlin won't go there, perhaps because personality and smiles only takes you so far. This is why I want to see the Steelers or Tomlin do a Hard Knox type of show.
A basic interview? Any particular subject you are referring to? I know Ryan Clark had him in for a sit down. But you have to be more specific on what you mean.

A hard Knox? Is that where they bring Chuck in and rough him up a bit ? Then you make Tomlin watch? Man you have some serious anger issues.

😁

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

Are you grading the five years of Ben wasted or 2022? I think you are in the wrong thread or didn't read the title correctly

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Are you grading the five years of Ben wasted or 2022? I think you are in the wrong thread or didn't read the title correctly
Nevermind that are we going to put up with them roughing upChuck? I won't stand for it.