• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Has Ben Regressed, and Is It Time To Draft A QB...

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
**** thinking about when Ben is gone, we aren't the Pirates, let's worry about now and try to win now. I doubt we find Bens replacement with a mid-round pick unless we get real lucky, put everything into winning now, and that starts by putting some damn money into out Secondary, Burns and Davis look good, but if we can't trust any of them in man coverage then they need to find some guys they do trust

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Steelers were 5th on passing O, in the entire league. That was in spite of Ben being without a TE for the majority of the season and without his 2 and 3 WR for the majority of the season.

Yeah Ben is regressing

needs to check his ego

needs to move the ball

I am not sure what the **** some of you are watching, but again Ben isn't the problem.

That's all well and good, buy it does not translate to points. We were 12th in ppg and buffalo/ Washington was the 2 ahead of us.

obxsteeler

Reaction score
If you think Ben has regressed just wait till you get to watch his replacement for his first 3-5 years.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Jitter....has Ben ever had a season where we were in the top 10 in scoring?

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
We've been in the top 10 in scoring offense the past 3 seasons

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
Even if you dont think that he is regressing- one thing that we can all agree on is that Ben's durability has certainly taken a toll.

He may not be Romo level brittle, but its getting to a point where you can count on Ben being hurt at least 2 to 3 games, and needing one game to get back into his groove. Unfortunately, I highly doubt that this trend reverses.

This is why I have no problem taking a flyer on another 3rd/4th round QB, if the value is there.

deljzc

Reaction score
This doesn't seem to be a good QB year in the draft, so that likely means all the prospect will get overdrafted this year. That doesn't create a real good environment to maybe get someone on the cheap that has NFL skills that you can develop behind Ben.

If there is one prospect that maybe we should talk about and is outside the box is Chad Kelly. First, even in a QB-thin draft, he has two big knocks against him right now. First, he had ACL surgery in November and will not be ready for (likely) all of OTA, training camp and the early part of the season. Second, he has some off-field baggage and immaturity issues (he was kicked off Clemson's team, arrested in a bar fight, etc.).

Now Kelly might have more talent that your typical late-round QB. He is Jim Kelly's nephew. And Bill Polian supposedly vouches for him as person, even with what happened. I mean, I suspect Jim Kelly was big partying at Miami in his day and he chased the big paycheck in the USFL and finally matured into a pretty decent human being and success in Buffalo. Could Chad Kelly follow those footsteps from southern college party school to cold-weather blue collar city? Maybe.

And maybe Pittsburgh, the Steelers organization, and having Ben help him grow up could work. I've heard of wackier what-if scenarios.

So if you are going to talk about a better option than Landry Jones but don't want to spent a premier pick on a QB prospect while trying to win a Super Bowl in the next three seasons, Chad Kelly might be the best option in this draft.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
**** thinking about when Ben is gone, we aren't the Pirates, let's worry about now and try to win now. I doubt we find Bens replacement with a mid-round pick unless we get real lucky, put everything into winning now, and that starts by putting some damn money into out Secondary, Burns and Davis look good, but if we can't trust any of them in man coverage then they need to find some guys they do trust

No kidding. From the time Bradshaw retired until they drafted Ben. It could be 15 years. Who knows. The time is NOW! Last year was another wasted year.

ark steel

Reaction score
This doesn't seem to be a good QB year in the draft, so that likely means all the prospect will get overdrafted this year. That doesn't create a real good environment to maybe get someone on the cheap that has NFL skills that you can develop behind Ben.

If there is one prospect that maybe we should talk about and is outside the box is Chad Kelly. First, even in a QB-thin draft, he has two big knocks against him right now. First, he had ACL surgery in November and will not be ready for (likely) all of OTA, training camp and the early part of the season. Second, he has some off-field baggage and immaturity issues (he was kicked off Clemson's team, arrested in a bar fight, etc.).

Now Kelly might have more talent that your typical late-round QB. He is Jim Kelly's nephew. And Bill Polian supposedly vouches for him as person, even with what happened. I mean, I suspect Jim Kelly was big partying at Miami in his day and he chased the big paycheck in the USFL and finally matured into a pretty decent human being and success in Buffalo. Could Chad Kelly follow those footsteps from southern college party school to cold-weather blue collar city? Maybe.

And maybe Pittsburgh, the Steelers organization, and having Ben help him grow up could work. I've heard of wackier what-if scenarios.

So if you are going to talk about a better option than Landry Jones but don't want to spent a premier pick on a QB prospect while trying to win a lowB repuS in the next three seasons, Chad Kelly might be the best option in this draft.

Regardless of Landry's issues, I don't know that I believe Kelly is a better option other than, at least, Kelly can run the ball, too.

I've seen some of his play where I thought he might make it, but others with a WTF look on my face. If the choice is use any draft choice on Kelly or roll with Jones/Mettenburger, I take option 2 and hope for better options next year, methinks. This is notwithstanding his off the field issues. Throwing those in with his ACL tear which might affect his running ability makes the decision for me.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

ark steel

Reaction score
Lol. I didn't realize that. Now I can understand why slipping to 12th has raised some eyebrows for some.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Steeler Nation mobile app

PPG. 16th in 2013. 7th in 2014, 4th in 2015, 10th in 2016. Haven't slipped to 12th. Peeps here would rather see that we went from 4th to 10th in one season than the improvement from 2013.

Another bit of information is that 23.7 ppg was good for 16th in 20131. 26.4 (2.7ppg more) was 4th place in 2015. 1.5ppg separates 2015 from 2016. Very narrow margins can make stats look a lot worse (or better) if you don't look into them.

I'm not too concerned with a loss of 1.5 ppg and a trip to the AFCCG with so many injuries to WR who could have made a difference, IMO.

oicu8ad

Reaction score

This!! Load up for a champion ship run or two while Ben is here. Then when he's gone, we can let the new guy be a "game manager" for a few years since we will have all this new talent around him.

Ben is NOT the problem. He can't ******* throw the ball and catch the ball!

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
That's all well and good, buy it does not translate to points. We were 12th in ppg and buffalo/ Washington was the 2 ahead of us.

Who's going to do better? Landry? Name a QB that walks in week 1 this year or next and puts up better numbers than #7. This team hasn't had a losing season since he was drafted, wanna bet that streak ends when his career does? Of course, that streak ending and badly is the only way they will be able to draft an heir; I think I'll just enjoy watching Ben play as long as he is capable and willing.

Last edited:

deljzc

Reaction score
Regardless of Landry's issues, I don't know that I believe Kelly is a better option other than, at least, Kelly can run the ball, too.

I've seen some of his play where I thought he might make it, but others with a WTF look on my face. If the choice is use any draft choice on Kelly or roll with Jones/Mettenburger, I take option 2 and hope for better options next year, methinks. This is notwithstanding his off the field issues. Throwing those in with his ACL tear which might affect his running ability makes the decision for me.

I agree with the negatives. All I'm saying is you might be able to get an arm talent on the cheap. Not every year that's possible.

And we all know what Jones and Mettenburger are now after 4 years in the NFL. We don't know what Kelly will be in 4 years. That's the difference.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
I prefer the long ball on 1st and 10 or 2nd and 10 and not 3rd and 1. Getting the first down and getting 3 more plays seems
to be the higher percentage strategy than going for it all and punting.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Who's going to do better? Landry? Name a QB that walks in week 1 this year or next and puts up better numbers than #7. This team hasn't had a losing season since he was drafted, wanna bet that streak ends when his career does? Of course, that streak ending and badly is the only way they will be able to draft an heir; I think I'll just enjoy watching Ben play as long as he is capable and willing.

I am not saying ben is not a good qb and we know what the landry Jones Steelers look like and it is not pretty. However that does not mean ben is a god and has not regressed. Several games in a row he was missing open guys mostly high. That stuff happens but my biggest knock is him simply not taking what the defense gives. As for a replacement the draft seems weak at qb so I would not waste a higher pick on a qb this year.

bigsmooth51

Reaction score
I would love to pick a qb this year....but late round. I really want to see what Mettenberger has to offer. Liked him at LSU. I want to see a pass rusher early and a quality cb.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Steeler Nation mobile app

ark steel

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure we were tied for 10th with Buffalo with Washington at 12th. Difference between 10th and 8th is less than 1 ppg.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Uh, as I remember, Ben at one point had completed 12 or more in a row in the AFCC game.

However, Coates dropped a HUGE pass right out of the gate that would have at least put them in FG range. Hamilton dropped 2 TDs, I believe.

The world's dumbest play-calling cost another TD. So you're looking at anywhere from 24 to 28 pts potentially right there in the AFCC game and they didn't lose by that much. I'm just sayin'.

Ben had an AMAZING season considering Brown was double teamed all year and the Steelers didn't even HAVE a #2 receiver for most of the season. Leveon Bell was the closest thing they HAD to a #2.

As for the T.E. option, James is perfectly serviceable and I think they should have used him more. I believe early on he and Grimble showed some stuff. Green (imo) got the coaches and FO thinking in terms of "explosive" T.E. material but the only thing explosive about Green is his ability to destroy cap space.

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
not much out there this year, as far as draft. But would like to start grooming a replacement for Ben soon.

And I don't blame Ben for the season. Ab, Bell, and others contributed to the downfall. It's an all about me team, instead of a, let's help each other out to win team.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I like your thinking with Chad Kelly, del. There are concerns that come along with it, but I'd rather take a high-upside prospect late rather than a guy with little skill and unlikely to make the final roster. He wouldn't necessarily be at the top of my list, but certainly a player worth investigating.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Get some dicipline amongst the team, a more sensible play calling routine, a in game adjustment able coach or coaches assistant(s), sign and negotiate 3year window attitude contracts, PLAY LIKe helL and turn everything up two notches. 2 Lombardies will heal all wounds and then Ben will retire, with or with out a groomed replacement.

Salute the nation

Ghost of Frenchy Fuqua

Reaction score
Also ayers > Hamilton but yet he sat on the bench...

Yes, because, as we found out afterward, he had a double hernia. So I'll cut him - and management - some slack.

He'll be back this season, and an important part of their offense. They obviously didn't realize what they had when they redshirted him most of the year.

They do now.

ianv2012

Reaction score
So just curious, is everyone's assessment that this is such a weak QB class based on personal film study or the talking heads repeating this thought? Just wondering.