• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Has Ben Regressed, and Is It Time To Draft A QB...

6Rings

Reaction score
After the season ended, my wife said that she thinks Ben is breaking down. She thinks we should get a QB. Maybe she has a point. Ben is super fragile. Who knows what will happen next season. He gets injured every year..

Reaction score
After the season ended, my wife said that she thinks Ben is breaking down. She thinks we should get a QB. Maybe she has a point. Ben is super fragile. Who knows what will happen next season. He gets injured every year..

He did seem to move around quite gingerly at times. He looks like one of those old retired players with bad knees and arthritis. The fluid athlete that could elude and rip his way out of tackles is gone now.

Ben was never fast, but he was smooth and had amazing balance. I'm not seeing that anymore. Sure, he's not as young as he used to be, but he may be in more pain than we know.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
He missed one game this season, 3 or 4 in 15, then played in all 16 the previous two seasons.
We need a legit #2, hopefully that's Bryant, and let Ben and the passing game dictate the game and tempo, not the running game.

Ghost of Frenchy Fuqua

Reaction score
If there's a QB they like, then by all means go for him, no matter how high the pick.

I've seen several mock drafts that have the Giants taking Mitch Trubisky. I don't know anything about Mitch Trubisky - well, I might have gone to his bar mitzvah - but the Giants/Manning are in a very similar position as Steelers/Ben.

No one is saying either is washed up, but they're clearly on the downside. Another couple of bad hits and Ben will be moving like Jim Kelly or Joe Namath at the end of their careers.

And besides, taking an outside LB at No. 1 is no sure-fire guarantee. So they need to be open to drafting a QB...and not as a throwaway late-rounder.

Last edited:

obxsteeler

Reaction score
With all the complaints about a "regressed QB and a terrible coaching staff" I do hope some noticed that the Steelers played for the AFC championship the last 2 years-losing once without Brown and Bell and once without Bell. When you can find me a QB/coaching staff who can get you there twice I'll be much more willing to listen.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
If there's a QB they like, then by all means go for him, no matter how high the pick.

I've seen several mock drafts that have the Giants taking Mitch Trubisky. I don't know anything about Mitch Trubisky - well, I might have gone to his bar mitzvah - but the Giants/Manning are in a very similar position as Steelers/Ben.

No one is saying either is washed up, but they're clearly on the downside. Another couple of bad hits and Ben will be moving like Jim Kelly or Joe Namath at the end of their careers.

And besides, taking an outside LB at No. 1 is no sure-fire guarantee. So they need to be open to drafting a QB...and not as a throwaway late-rounder.

Clearly on the downside

again I do not see it that way

only thing Ben lost a little of is mobility, and that is due to multiple injuries

nothing wrong with his game or anything in his game that is showing a decline

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
I bet Belicheat had Tee Martin rated ahead of Brady

ark steel

Reaction score
With all the complaints about a "regressed QB and a terrible coaching staff" I do hope some noticed that the Steelers played for the AFC championship the last 2 years-losing once without Brown and Bell and once without Bell. When you can find me a QB/coaching staff who can get you there twice I'll be much more willing to listen.

we didn't get to the AFCCG the last two years.

ianv2012

Reaction score
I bet Belicheat had Tee Martin rated ahead of Brady

Most likely, if people think belicheck had Brady with a 1st round grade, or even 3rd round grade for that matter, he would've taken him much higher so.....yeah Brady was lower on basically everyone's board in that draft

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
This article is horseshit. They took a flyer and got lucky. It was no genius move and everyone who knows anything about drafts knows that after round 4 it's not about scouting anymore. You're taking guys who either fit your system, or have the best available upside.

This is just the ****** *** Patriots trying to take credit for more **** they got for free and didn't earn.

**** them, and **** Tom.
Your hate for all things Pat is admirable, but I can't believe they don't have scouting reports that affect picks in the 5th and later rounds.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
If the play calling inside the ten yard was better and we scored TD's this would not even be a thought. No play makers inside the ten yard line, coach is blind to this.

chipped ham

Reaction score
He did seem to move around quite gingerly at times. He looks like one of those old retired players with bad knees and arthritis. The fluid athlete that could elude and rip his way out of tackles is gone now.

Ben was never fast, but he was smooth and had amazing balance. I'm not seeing that anymore. Sure, he's not as young as he used to be, but he may be in more pain than we know.

As much as I wanna say I seen the same things, thag rats game in Christmas Eve was classic Ben. He also was great against Dallas too. He was so good at Heinz this year that it's hard to fully believe that he's "lost" anything.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben still has a lot in him. Get his a SB or two before he retires. The Steelers do need to look for the next guy under center. But Ben needs to get one more ring at least. Just keep keep him healthy to the best of the O lines abilities and all will be good to go imo

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben still has a lot in him. Get his a SB or two before he retires. The Steelers do need to look for the next guy under center. But Ben needs to get one more ring at least. Just keep keep him healthy to the best of the O lines abilities and all will be good to go imo

I think a legitamit #2 would help a lot too,,!!!

Salute the nation

Ghost of Frenchy Fuqua

Reaction score
Clearly on the downside

again I do not see it that way...

Respectfully disagree.

The way he played on the road this past season tells me he has slipped some. Take away the added emotion of playing at home, and he struggled at times.

I don't have the stats in front of me. But I'm thinking his INTs were up, and some were real stinkers.

I'm not saying to put him in assisted living. But it's time to look ahead.

deljzc

Reaction score
Respectfully disagree.

The way he played on the road this past season tells me he has slipped some. Take away the added emotion of playing at home, and he struggled at times.

I don't have the stats in front of me. But I'm thinking his INTs were up, and some were real stinkers.

I'm not saying to put him in assisted living. But it's time to look ahead.

Turnovers were not "up". In fact, quite consistent with his last 5 seasons:

2016: 15 turnovers in 530 drop backs
2015: 16 turnovers in 493 drop backs
2014: 14 turnovers in 649 drop backs
2013: 20 turnovers in 640 drop backs
2012: 11 turnovers in 494 drop backs
2011: 19 turnovers in 568 drop backs
2010: 8 turnovers in 437 drop backs
2009: 15 turnovers in 576 drop backs
2008: 22 turnovers in 530 drop backs
2007: 14 turnovers in 466 drop backs
2006: 25 turnovers in 530 drop backs
2005: 11 turnovers in 306 drop backs
2004: 13 turnovers in 360 drop backs

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
If the play calling inside the ten yard was better and we scored TD's this would not even be a thought. No play makers inside the ten yard line, coach is blind to this.

N.W. Steeler fan: Why won't T. Haley let Ben call the plays more in the no huddle. It seems that he always excels when given the opportunity. I think the AFC Champ game could have been closer if Ben was in charge. Is Haley just that unwilling to give up control or is it something else?

Gerry Dulac: Did you watch that game? They were in no huddle 80 percent of the time. He was in charge, including when he called the wrong formation at the goalline on the first-down play when DeAngelo Williams was stuffed for 3 yard loss.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If for what ever reason the PLAY calling doesn't improve, then I say replace with MUNCHeck. He is someone close to the source (offensive scheme) and very little transitioning, thus keeping the 3year window clean. You can't have Ben free lancing unchecked and you can't have Haley turtling either. Might be a move needed. Essentially it would be like firing Todd with out the fire.

Salute the nation

Last edited:

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Yeah Dulac, Ben is in charge on all the bad plays, and Haley all the good ones. Dulac is a coaches nut hugger. I'm sure Ben told Coates to drop the ball, Hamilton to drop a td, and told Hamilton to run out of bounds.
The offense had 3 TDs called back or dropped, without Bell, I wasn't super upset with the offensive play calling regardless who was making the calls

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah Dulac, Ben is in charge on all the bad plays, and Haley all the good ones. Dulac is a coaches nut hugger. I'm sure Ben told Coates to drop the ball, Hamilton to drop a td, and told Hamilton to run out of bounds.
The offense had 3 TDs called back or dropped, without Bell, I wasn't super upset with the offensive play calling regardless who was making the calls

Secondly, just because they are in no huddle does not mean Ben is calling the plays. When you see Ben look at his QB wrist coach before walking to the line it is a dead giveaway that he just got the call in from the sideline. There is a difference between the no huddle and the hurry up offense. Ben calls the plays in the hurry up and not necessarily in the no huddle.