• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Gradkowski has "sizable" hamstring tear

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Gradkowski had always sucked. Guy had one memorable game that I can remember and that was when he beat our ***** when he was in Oakland. I truly thought that last year was going to be the year that they took a serviceable qb in the draft. Round 4ish

Couldn't agree more. Gradkowski was a career bum who obviously won Tomlin's misguided affection after that one anomalous performance against the Steelers.

Good riddance.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
They can do a lot better than that.

But they need to be smart about it, and not look at it as getting a "throwaway" third-stringer.

Jones is what he is, not very good. Whoever they get should be someone who can push him for the backup job.

Exactly. They waste these picks on quarterbacks with little to no upside. Jones looked like a guy who would be a borderline NFL player at best when he was drafted and that's what he's become. He's gone from a guy who shouldn't have made it out of his first camp, to awful, to not very good. Sure there was some progression, but there is no way that he is a viable backup quarterback.

tjack

Forefather
Reaction score
Interesting news coming out about Bruce's hammy. Last week I had to deal with haters trash talking about TE Ladarius Green's ankle, un-announced headaches, 3 previous concussions, and ESPN giving the impression that the Front Office didn't do their research on Green before giving him a nice contract. I'm guessing by game time this Thurs. someone at ESPN or NFL Network will link Manziel, JaMarcus Russell, Vince Young, Buddy Lee, and one of the QB's from the NYJets bench to the Steelers.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting news coming out about Bruce's hammy. Last week I had to deal with haters trash talking about TE Ladarius Green's ankle, un-announced headaches, 3 previous concussions, and ESPN giving the impression that the Front Office didn't do their research on Green before giving him a nice contract. I'm guessing by game time this Thurs. someone at ESPN or NFL Network will link Manziel, JaMarcus Russell, Vince Young, Buddy Lee, and one of the QB's from the NYJets bench to the Steelers.

I'd take Bryce Petty

Interestingly, the Chefs (as Ghost of Frenchy Fuqua said) have a nice logjam at backup QB. They just drafted Kevin Hogan, and have Aaron Murray... and just signed Nick Foles. Obviously they may be open to trading Murray or they'd not have brought in Foles. Mike Glennon (Bucs) is constantly rumored to be on the trade block, as well.

as badly as it pains me to say it, I'd call up the Chefs to see what they'd want for Aaron Murray. He's signed until 2018, whereas Landry is a free agent after this season.
Ben's a free agent after the 2019 season, and will likely walk into retirement since he'll be 38.

P

POP

This is a shocking thought: Are our QB back ups actually worse than the days of Batch and Leftwich? I say yes they are.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
This is a shocking thought: Are our QB back ups actually worse than the days of Batch and Leftwich? I say yes they are.

If we want to take the starting CB slot /position out of the equation, not a more concerning position. Behind Ben there is.................... jack ****. As in...never has, has been, and a never will.

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
Duce Staley sweats, headset, wash rinse repeat.
Charlie Batch busy?

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Keep an eye on the Rams and Chiefs, especially the Rams.

Keenum has become a decent NFL QB (attention Coolie), if not as a starter then as a solid backup. And Mannion looked good the other night.

By the end of the preseason Fisher might be looking to deal one of them. The Steelers should go for either one.

Don't forget AZ...they have 3 backups better than Landry...

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
steelers like to carry a veteran backup and a developmental guy. They appear to be all in on Landry as their developmental guy. Most teams only keep 2 QBs these days so i'm thinking the steelers will just stick with 2 and somebody on the practice squad.

I only see them signing a QB if a veteran gets cut. Here's a few possibilities.

Josh Johnson - 3rd string in Balt.
Austin Davis - 3rd string Clev
Chad Henne - Jax drafted Brandon Allen and may go with him as backup. Henne would be the type of vet the steelers like

Nick Foles - the chiefs have 5 QBs on the roster. They drafted Hogan from Stanford who figures to make the team. They also have Tyler Bray, Aaron Murray and Foles. All 3 could get cut or they could keep 1. Bray and Murray are probably not experienced wnough for what the steelers want. If Foles is cut, he's a possibility.

Matt McGloin - Oak drafted Connor Cook. If they like him then maybe they keep only 2 QBs and let McGloin go. McGloin has starts under his belt and learns offenses quickly. I think they will keep McGloin though because Carr and Cook is probably too young at the QB position.

Mettenberger or Kellen Clemens in San Diego. Again, if they only carry 2, then one of them may be an option, especially Clemens who is more experienced, but Mettenberger has starts.

Brian Hoyer - Chicago has a couple of young guys, David Fales and Connor Shaw. Shaw has looked good at times.

Christian Ponder - San Fran may be stuck with Kaepernick as a backup. Chip Kelly may like the mobility of Jeff Driskel as a 3rd stringer over Ponder. Ponder has quite a few starts under his belt.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Anyone who saw that tackle and the resulting injury knows Bruce Gradkowski is done. He was hardly touched and it didn't look like a non contact injury. The guys knee made minor contact with his hammy. Dustin Vaughan looked unimpressive. Comb the cuts. A third stringer can't be a big deal.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I want Roethlisburger and Mettenburger!!!! Just think of the Peppi's combo sandwiches!!

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Just say. NO to Vick !!!!!!!!

Salute the nation
I wouldn't rule him out "that" quickly - seeing as we only have #LandryisTerrible and #Number13isBad4aReason on the roster...

steelers like to carry a veteran backup and a developmental guy. They appear to be all in on Landry as their developmental guy. Most teams only keep 2 QBs these days so i'm thinking the steelers will just stick with 2 and somebody on the practice squad.

I only see them signing a QB if a veteran gets cut. Here's a few possibilities.

Josh Johnson - 3rd string in Balt.
Austin Davis - 3rd string Clev
Chad Henne - Jax drafted Brandon Allen and may go with him as backup. Henne would be the type of vet the steelers like

Nick Foles - the chiefs have 5 QBs on the roster. They drafted Hogan from Stanford who figures to make the team. They also have Tyler Bray, Aaron Murray and Foles. All 3 could get cut or they could keep 1. Bray and Murray are probably not experienced wnough for what the steelers want. If Foles is cut, he's a possibility.

Matt McGloin - Oak drafted Connor Cook. If they like him then maybe they keep only 2 QBs and let McGloin go. McGloin has starts under his belt and learns offenses quickly. I think they will keep McGloin though because Carr and Cook is probably too young at the QB position.

Mettenberger or Kellen Clemens in San Diego. Again, if they only carry 2, then one of them may be an option, especially Clemens who is more experienced, but Mettenberger has starts.

Brian Hoyer - Chicago has a couple of young guys, David Fales and Connor Shaw. Shaw has looked good at times.

Christian Ponder - San Fran may be stuck with Kaepernick as a backup. Chip Kelly may like the mobility of Jeff Driskel as a 3rd stringer over Ponder. Ponder has quite a few starts under his belt.
Hoyer is the only option I like (but, I'm not a coach or owner in this). Now, while Vick knows the system - Hoyer was here in the past as well.

I'd drop Vaughn like Pop does to Br*dy - QUICK. Go get Jake Coker!

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Its the Landry Jones show at backup. Can't see us putting Bruce on IR to bring him back. Maybe he gets cut with the intention of resigning when healthy.