• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Good read. Max Starks interview

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
He just showed me around, as it must be against the law to have somebody watch embalming or something. (Is it, Ron?)
Yes it is, unless you are a funeral director, funeral home employee, intern (me), or one of the people who are there for religious reasons. There are some religions, Mormon and Orthodox Jewish are two, whose traditions are that their own people wash and dress the deceased.
I'm studying for the legal portion of my state board exam right now actually. :beer:

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The Steeler teams of the 70s, the Cowboy teams of the 90s would laugh at this assessment. How the hell did they do it?

Well diver,

The Steeler teams of the 70're played a 14 game season and had a great coach, who did not wear his men out just to prove himself.

The Cowboys team of the 1990's often had a high seed and rested their players if memory serves. Most of their key players were younger as well.

diver

Reaction score
Well diver,

The Steeler teams of the 70're played a 14 game season and had a great coach, who did not wear his men out just to prove himself.

The Cowboys team of the 1990's often had a high seed and rested their players if memory serves. Most of their key players were younger as well.

Cmon, Coach. The players in those days worked much harder than the players today, at least at practices. They had to, as that was many times how you got yourself in shape then. There are no more two a days, and back in '07 they were more limited than in the past. There were no excuses used then if they didn't win the SB that they were worn down.

It is just a damn excuse is all it is, just as I think this idea that because he eased up on them the next year they won the SB. They won the SB that year because they played better in big spots. They jelled. If it was that easy just easing up on them they would have won more SBs since 08, right? It is just trying to find deeper reasons than they played better, when that is all it really is.

Steelerfreak

Reaction score
That was a good read, anywwho to your subject.

I think Tomlin's way of handling 2007 was physically grueling on the players. It was pretty noticeable late in the season. The team looked beat. However I did like that approach in that he wasn't scared of the veteran guys. Now, I think he's too lenient and uses big empty words to subdue the local media and fans. These past two seasons has been a turn around from current. Going 8-8(2012-2013) The Steelers have improved bit by bit. The biggest factor now is staying healthy. The Steelers were close to beating the Broncos. Let that sink in. I think Tomlin is grasping this team again. There is just one thing missing that a lot of us see, but we don't understand yet.

Though Mike gives us plenty of quotes, one of my favorites was from early in training camp that first year. He was asked what the veteran players thought of him. His response was something to the effect of, "I dont care, its my job to evaluate them, not their evaluation of me."

I think it was necessary to use a heavy hand early, and he obviously learned from the experience.

steelrzgirl

Forefather
Reaction score
I think Max is a great guy. This thread reminds me why I dont come to this forum for football especially the Steelers.