• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Good read. Max Starks interview

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Oh, and this is, apparently, one of those times a player's words in an interview can be taken as truth? or only partially? So very confusing.

I honestly miss Idioteque shtick more then Coach's lame trolling

Last edited:

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Are you sure? What type of coach lets his player's dictate protocol? It gives the impression he's not in control of his team and doesn't exactly rub off as a leader

Now, I'm showing you a team captain saying it was a bad idea. It took Tomlin way too long to figure this out. In the future, I'm going to keep using third party quotes of those who have an account on the matter. It has a way of getting my point across with the naysayers. They can accept the truth, or say the source is wrong...which I have not seen.

So far in this thread alone Starks said Tomlin cost us a playoff win, and Clark said this gaming policy dived the team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...mlin-bans-all-games-from-steelers-locker-room

Coach, way to cut out the part that Clark was referring to what Tomlin's opinion was of the situation.

"From his point, it was dividing the team in a way," defensive leader Ryan Clark explained Thursday. "One sect of people couldn't do a certain thing and he just wanted everybody to be together -- because we're all in the losses together. We're all in the business of fixing this problem together. He didn't want anything to divide us."

Tomlin was game with the situation until he saw it was going wrong. I like when a locker room policies itself and in theory, they had a good idea because the young players weren't pulling their weight and needed a wake up call--even if it was this simple. The instant it became a problem, the situation ended. The team captain didn't say it was a bad idea, his coach saw it wasn't working. By no means does letting your veterans make some calls make it look like you don't have control.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
How many times can one person be called out for the same thing.. Stop using half stats, half quotes to run off on a tangent about absolutely nothing..

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
LMAO 38 on his wonderlic. You can't make this **** up

I'd guess antdrewjosh about a 17-21. Only kidding!

What we have here two Steelers ( Starks and Clark ) flat out saying 1 ) Tomlin coaching style likely cost us a playoff game. and 2 ) his allowing one group of players to play locker room games, while forcing the other group sitting there to watch didn't help team unity.

If you can only admit things for once, I think you'd become a much better poster.

Like yes, coach, Tomlin ordering full contact practices in week 13 hurt the Steelers in the playoffs, and yes coach having a dividing line on the team that allows one group to do something while denying another group the chance to play didn't help team unity.

It's not that hard. Try it.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Coach, way to cut out the part that Clark was referring to what Tomlin's opinion was of the situation.

"From his point, it was dividing the team in a way," defensive leader Ryan Clark explained Thursday. "One sect of people couldn't do a certain thing and he just wanted everybody to be together -- because we're all in the losses together. We're all in the business of fixing this problem together. He didn't want anything to divide us."

Tomlin was game with the situation until he saw it was going wrong. I like when a locker room policies itself and in theory, they had a good idea because the young players weren't pulling their weight and needed a wake up call--even if it was this simple. The instant it became a problem, the situation ended. The team captain didn't say it was a bad idea, his coach saw it wasn't working. By no means does letting your veterans make some calls make it look like you don't have control.

My issue was he should have seen it was wrong before it went bad. To add insult to injury, the players with 1-5 years of experience had to watch other players play the games.

This is DOD and not a way to help team unity which should be a goal for any head coach I think we all agree there. I'll give Clark for speaking the truth, but he said this as a Steeler and had to watch what he said.

The media doesn't really know how bad this divide was. It was bad enough for Tomlin to issue a halt way too late. Much of what happens is kept in the house.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
"That's gold, Jerry! Gold!"

ark steel

Reaction score
Are we talking about his first year? A first year coach made some mistakes?

steelermania

Reaction score
If Starks says he overtrained then I'm not who to contradict him but I get what Tomlin did, maybe if he hadn't they would have seem him as a pansy-*** coach and next year they wouldn't have won anything. You can't expect a rookie coach to be perfect, you have to expect improvement, it was definitly an investment thought for the long run by the Rooneys

This it. Young coaches learn. You might remember Cowher costing us a chance to win a playoff game his rookie season as well.

Steelerfreak

Reaction score
I will say this about Max Starks, My daughter had just turned 6, and was diagnosed with cancer. We had to travel to Philadelphia for treatment, and we were waiting to be seen at the childrens hospital there. There were toys and books to occupy the children while they waited. My wife and I were sitting there waiting with what you could imagine were not the best thoughts running through our heads. After a short time, my girl came up to me and held a book up pointing saying, "Look daddy, Steelers!" I looked and sure enough there was a "Dear God-" book with a Steelers logo (2005 world champions) sticker in the book signed by Max Starks.

I remember it clearly, I told myself, we have God and the Steelers on our side. Things are going to be OK.

Things did work out OK. My beautiful girl is about to turn 15 and doing well. I wrote a letter to Max relaying the story to him as well.

The effort some of these guys put into Childrens hospitals is incredible support for a lot of patients and their families.

Max will also be special to me.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the odd thing. Tomlin later became too lenient, allowing Ben and others to participate in a WWE match ( Chance of risking injury ) , and then splitting the team, only allowing the veterans to play the locker room games.

Neither made much sense to me, not do some of his interviews with the press. Any tenured football coach knows to go easy and limit the full contact practices late in the season. By the end of the season, pretty much everyone has some sort of minor injury or worse. Tomlin was trying to prove himself, and by putting himself above the team, it backfired.

Starks is correct here. This likely cost us a playoff game.

That was a good read, anywwho to your subject.

I think Tomlin's way of handling 2007 was physically grueling on the players. It was pretty noticeable late in the season. The team looked beat. However I did like that approach in that he wasn't scared of the veteran guys. Now, I think he's too lenient and uses big empty words to subdue the local media and fans. These past two seasons has been a turn around from current. Going 8-8(2012-2013) The Steelers have improved bit by bit. The biggest factor now is staying healthy. The Steelers were close to beating the Broncos. Let that sink in. I think Tomlin is grasping this team again. There is just one thing missing that a lot of us see, but we don't understand yet.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
My issue was he should have seen it was wrong before it went bad. To add insult to injury, the players with 1-5 years of experience had to watch other players play the games.

This is DOD and not a way to help team unity which should be a goal for any head coach I think we all agree there. I'll give Clark for speaking the truth, but he said this as a Steeler and had to watch what he said.

The media doesn't really know how bad this divide was. It was bad enough for Tomlin to issue a halt way too late. Much of what happens is kept in the house.

I could buy if you were saying that Tomlin should have done a better job so the young guys didn't feel that comfortable, but that isn't the case.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I will say this about Max Starks, My daughter had just turned 6, and was diagnosed with cancer. We had to travel to Philadelphia for treatment, and we were waiting to be seen at the childrens hospital there. There were toys and books to occupy the children while they waited. My wife and I were sitting there waiting with what you could imagine were not the best thoughts running through our heads. After a short time, my girl came up to me and held a book up pointing saying, "Look daddy, Steelers!" I looked and sure enough there was a "Dear God-" book with a Steelers logo (2005 world champions) sticker in the book signed by Max Starks.

I remember it clearly, I told myself, we have God and the Steelers on our side. Things are going to be OK.

Things did work out OK. My beautiful girl is about to turn 15 and doing well. I wrote a letter to Max relaying the story to him as well.

The effort some of these guys put into Childrens hospitals is incredible support for a lot of patients and their families.

I have an uncle who is now retired and worked as a cameraman for a Pittsburgh TV station for over 35 years, covering the Steelers since the 70's. He will tell you that Max was one of his top favorite Steelers to deal with and a tremendously good dude.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
We didn't lose to JAX due to poor conditioning or being beat up. We lost on a 4th and 5 where a blatant holding call was missed.

Coach, your spin on the words Starks spoke, can get you a job on fox news.

A poster saying Tomlin is a little overrated does not compare with one of his players saying he cost us a playoff win. That's pretty harsh.

Starks didn't say Tomlin cost them a playoff win. You did.

I stick to the facts and keep emotion out of it. That's how things like this don't slide me when watching the news...

P

POP

Freak, that is a special story. I am happy it all worked out for your family. By all accounts, Max is a good dude.

P

POP

We didn't lose to JAX due to poor conditioning or being beat up. We lost on a 4th and 5 where a blatant holding call was missed.

Coach, your spin on the words Starks spoke, can get you a job on fox news.

Starks didn't say Tomlin cost them a playoff win. You did.

I stick to the facts and keep emotion out of it. That's how things like this don't slide me when watching the news...

Actually, players - and even Tomlin himself - admitted that they were physically spent come playoffs. I remember watching that game and feeling like the Steelers had no legs left. Troy admitted their brains were engaged but their bodies couldn't go any longer. Tomlin admitted he wore the team "to a nub."

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, players - and even Tomlin himself - admitted that they were physically spent come playoffs. I remember watching that game and feeling like the Steelers had no legs left. Troy admitted their brains were engaged but their bodies couldn't go any longer. Tomlin admitted he wore the team "to a nub."

I understand that, but no one blamed Tomlin is my point.

There were a lot of factors and hindsight is 20/20.

Funny thing though is how do expect a new coach to come in and take over a program, especially when he was younger than some of the players? Do you expect him to be soft and let the players dictate the locker room? As a parent or teacher will tell you, you can start of strict and relent on some rules as you go, and still maintain control. But you can never start off soft and expect results by becoming stricter.

His philosophy may have cost us a chance to lose to the undefeated Pats that season, but it didn't stop Tomlin from rethinking his strategy and earning a Superbowl the very next year.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

Funny thing though is how do expect a new coach to come in and take over a program, especially when he was younger than some of the players? Do you expect him to be soft and let the players dictate the locker room? As a parent or teacher will tell you, you can start of strict and relent on some rules as you go, and still maintain control. But you can never start off soft and expect results by becoming stricter.

His philosophy may have cost us a chance to lose to the undefeated Pats that season, but it didn't stop Tomlin from rethinking his strategy and earning a Superbowl the very next year.

With Cowher players

P

POP

I don't disagree with your points, at all. Especially the fact that we were going no where whether we beat J-ville or not. I am not crucifying Tomlin for over-working the players, but I am just noting that he did so. He did learn from that mistake, and that is what matters most.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't disagree with your points, at all. Especially the fact that we were going no where whether we beat J-ville or not. I am not crucifying Tomlin for over-working the players, but I am just noting that he did so. He did learn from that mistake, and that is what matters most.

It was a costly mistake. Pretty much any positional or coordinator level coach who's been in the NFL knows not to grind and beat up their own players in full contact practices by week 13. In this case, Tomlin put himself above common sense.

Yes Tomlin learned, but he should have known better. Teams only get so many chances to make the playoffs. We had a 10-6 team that year and a home playoff game vs the Jaguars.

The head coaches job is to give his team an edge. The opposite happened in this case.

The moral of the story is, " Don't unleash hell " on your own players late in the season.

ark steel

Reaction score
Meh, I would have expected Cowher's players to be tougher. They had an extra long rest during the offseason since they missed the playoffs the year before going 8-8.

Steelerfreak

Reaction score
I have an uncle who is now retired and worked as a cameraman for a Pittsburgh TV station for over 35 years, covering the Steelers since the 70's. He will tell you that Max was one of his top favorite Steelers to deal with and a tremendously good dude.

Cool to hear. Again, I never met Max, but something he did, that he didnt have to, crossed our lives at much needed time.

diver

Reaction score
Max is very smart and articulate and has a great voice. He will do well in broadcasting.
His family is in the same business as me. Starks Funeral Home in FL, so he has a fallback.

When I was in high school, I had was the groundskeeper at two local cemeteries. Somehow my Mom thought since I cut grass and trimmed bushes on cemeteries, ****, I would make a good funeral director. I used to tease her about that later on. I don't know how she made that connection. She'd just tell me to shut the hell up. Anyway, she had me go down to the local funeral director and see the operation. He just showed me around, as it must be against the law to have somebody watch embalming or something. (Is it, Ron?) We even went over to the morgue at the hospital and picked up a stiff. I remember riding back with that thinking what the hell am I into now?

diver

Reaction score
It was a costly mistake. Pretty much any positional or coordinator level coach who's been in the NFL knows not to grind and beat up their own players in full contact practices by week 13. In this case, Tomlin put himself above common sense.

Yes Tomlin learned, but he should have known better. Teams only get so many chances to make the playoffs. We had a 10-6 team that year and a home playoff game vs the Jaguars.

The head coaches job is to give his team an edge. The opposite happened in this case.

The moral of the story is, " Don't unleash hell " on your own players late in the season.

The Steeler teams of the 70s, the Cowboy teams of the 90s would laugh at this assessment. How the hell did they do it?