• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Notes

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Props to Shabazz. Forced a fumble and had a tackle on ST

Shazier is quickly growing into a leader. He stopped 2 defenders at 2 separate times from losing their cool and trying to start fights. Great to see!

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I agree about Shazier, and Dupree is really coming on, our LB's looked like a big ? early in the season, are now a force as a unit.

miiike

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking back about the game, you have to love the combined effort of the offense and defense. The offense cruised early with great play calling and even better execution. With respect to the latter, Brown slowing down to give James the time to make the key block and James making a perfect block were just excellent.

Then, after the unfortunate Ben interception that gave the Dolphins a glimmer of hope toward the end of the half and some energy on offense, the defense came up with big plays on three Miami drives. Even absent the big defensive plays, the defense stopped the Miami running game and held the Miami passing game to a lot of short passes and few yards after catch.

I also liked that, although we did slow our offense after the big lead, we still played somewhat aggressively on offense and defense. Special teams were not good, but were not terrible either.

Finally, the best aspect of this game in my mind was the number of different players with key contributions: Ben, Bell, Brown, James, Shazier, Harrison, Dupree, Pouncey, DeCastro. This does not even include the defensive line. When a team has that many players making key contributions, it is difficult to beat them and will also make it more difficult for the next opponent to game plan. For example, if you are KC reviewing film from this game, how do you decide who to stop on offense or who to avoid on defense.

This weekend in KC will be a tougher challenge, but if we can play even 80% as well as today and assuming Ben is fine, we have a great chance of winning.

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
Dupree is going to be a beast. This I first noticed in yesterday's game.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
My biggest concern was how easily Moore completed passes the entire game. Pass rush got us two turnovers and an INT or this game would have been a lot closer. It's clear that they sold out to stop the run but I'm afraid of what Alex Smith will do to this defense. Moore completed over 80% of his passes and looked far better than Ben.

Moore looked far better than Ben? Really? Yeah, that fumble at the end of the first half (when Miami could have scored and made it a 7-point game) was particularly impressive -- he saw Harrison coming in unblocked, still tried to scramble, and dropped the ball.

They stopped the run and allowed Moore the short passing game. Classic, well-executed bend-but-don't-break defense...don't be afraid.

chipped ham

Reaction score
Moore looked far better than Ben? Really? Yeah, that fumble at the end of the first half (when Miami could have scored and made it a 7-point game) was particularly impressive -- he saw Harrison coming in unblocked, still tried to scramble, and dropped the ball.

They stopped the run and allowed Moore the short passing game. Classic, well-executed bend-but-don't-break defense...don't be afraid.

I completely agree with this. The defense gave up some yardage, not a whole lot however, and did what they've done all season long: stop teams from succeeding in the red zone by making big stops and coming up with timely turnovers. The trend is that this defense has been standing up when it matters most.