• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's.................vs Seahawks......

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Fitzpatrick had a couple costly missed tackles as did many other players. He’s taken a step back this year.

Bell hasn’t come close to being worth what the Steelers gave up to get him, so that’s also on Tomlin and Colbert. There were a lot of good players still available in what would have been our 1st and 2nd picks. So far it was a big mistake trading up for him.

I don’t know what is wrong Edmunds. He plays with uncertainty and hesitancy and is consistently a second late to a play or a spectator. Last night was one of those games. Last year’s playoff game was another.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
Fitzpatrick had a couple costly missed tackles as did many other players. He’s taken a step back this year.

Bell hasn’t come close to being worth what the Steelers gave up to get him, so that’s also on Tomlin and Colbert. There were a lot of good players still available in what would have been our 1st and 2nd picks. So far it was a big mistake trading up for him.

I don’t know what is wrong Edmunds. He plays with uncertainty and hesitancy and is consistently a second late to a play or a spectator. Last night was one of those games. Last year’s playoff game was another.
I'm assuming you mean Bush instead of Bell. Give him some time. Someone else noted earlier that he seemed to be overrunning plays. That's something Bud Dupree did early in his career too. That's something that is fixable.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
By rule I didn't agree with the Ben fumble call. I never saw the ball moving back toward his body (i.e. Tuck Rule that doesn't exist) I thought the replay was a confirmation of the call on the field, and no matter what the call was, the replay should have confirmed, not overturned.

Ebron had a monster catch in traffic for a tough 1st down. He's starting to fill JuJu's tough over the middle catch role.

Bush is slow. Give him the 2 weeks for his groin to heal and we can properly evaluate him after the bye. I ain't throwing the baby out with the bathwater at this point.

I will tell you who I'm ready to move on from. Edmunds. I'm done with him. He has the cleanest jersey on D because he's always getting caught in the wash... Hopefully Karl Joseph can start after the bye. (Wishful thinking).

With JuJu out, we needed Ray Ray, Ebron, and Muth to step up. They did and we won.

Claypool had a bad game. He's better than this, and I expect him to bounce back.

I will not understate how much Najee means to this offense. Leading rusher and leader in receptions (tied with DJ). Much like we used Bell, but way earlier in his career. He has more pure talent than Bell ever had as an athletic, explosive runner. Bell only has the edge as a receiver....for now...

And if you guys want to be upset with the 2DL alignment from the coaching staff during the running game in the 2nd half, you have to give them credit for the 4/5DLs to cut that **** out at the end of the game and in OT. We also had a few bad tackles with chances to get them off the field on 3rd down, so coaching can't be all to blame here when they're checking down to a guy with 3 defenders in the area and they all whiff...

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And if you guys want to be upset with the 2DL alignment from the coaching staff during the running game in the 2nd half, you have to give them credit for the 4/5DLs to cut that **** out at the end of the game and in OT. We also had a few bad tackles with chances to get them off the field on 3rd down, so coaching can't be all to blame here when they're checking down to a guy with 3 defenders in the area and they all whiff...
I will give them props at the end for going back to what worked for the entire first half. Why they felt the need to play the Tampa-2 with 2 deep safeties for most of the second half makes no sense at all. Playing not to lose always costs this team. Tomlin claiming that they were concerned about the deep passing game in the second half with Geno at QB is just mind numbing. They should have gotten out of the 2 deep safety look long before the game was tied up.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
nice write up Chico...
When we started to collapse I made a comment about Bush in the game thread. I focused on him only as I watched plays develop and it was sad to watch.
Shielded off , tossed aside, overrunning the play, watching others attempt to tackle without sticking his *** in the mix....... more ***** than Bush tonight

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Bush is coming off injury. I am thinking his up and down performances are heavily associated with that. More concerned about his ability to stay healthy than his performance. Edmunds for me is the weak link. For every good game he seems to have he has 4 bad ones. You would think his favorite snack food is trail mix. I am still thinking Ben is teetering on done. The Oline arguably has improved and Ben still is struggling. And that is with loving me some Ben. Book isn't closed, but... We'll see. I would like to see someone step up consistently opposite Cam Heyward. I loved the win regardless but I think I aged about 5 years last night. This team with its weaknesses and spotty coaching is what they are and that is a .500 football team. We should not expect more or less until that shows itself not to be true.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
The very slow adjustment to the heavy front, from the 2 deep defense, was super lame. We spent most of the third quarter doing the defense wrong.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Bush is coming off injury. I am thinking his up and down performances are heavily associated with that. More concerned about his ability to stay healthy than his performance. Edmunds for me is the weak link. For every good game he seems to have he has 4 bad ones. You would think his favorite snack food is trail mix. I am still thinking Ben is teetering on done. The Oline arguably has improved and Ben still is struggling. And that is with loving me some Ben. Book isn't closed, but... We'll see. I would like to see someone step up consistently opposite Cam Heyward. I loved the win regardless but I think I aged about 5 years last night. This team with its weaknesses and spotty coaching is what they are and that is a .500 football team. We should not expect more or less until that shows itself not to be true.
I agree with everything you said Slash. Yes, they are a .500 football team today but in actuality their play is sub .500 and cannot see them winning more than 6 or 7 games this year. Ben is done and should have not been brought back. I hate seeing him go out this way but his skills have eroded immensely.
We still lack a true #1 receiver who can take the top off a defense. Someone with plenty of speed but that guy is not on the team.
The OL getting better but still a work in process.
Defense has too many holes. Cam trying to do it all by himself and could really use Tuitt at this time. Also the guys filling in for Tyson Alueu are nowhere near at his level.
Bush is more of a liability and a very expensive one at that in light of what we gave up to draft him at #10.Terrell Edmunds stinks and never liked the pick where they took him. Could have had him in the third round.

steelcan58

Reaction score
I agree with your expectations of this season. Mine are actually a little lower. I could give a rats *** what our record is at the end of the day. What I would like to see is our OL improve as a group each week. Also a couple of others emerge - maybe Tre Norwood. Lastly let's also find out who can't play and cut them loose.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
BIG FU to the NFL.

Yesterday was replete with ****** football. All games prior to Sunday Night, but one, were a blow out.

Just had to make it interesting.

Dear NFL Fucktards,

Having an NFL player race across the field, right past the official in front of him, who is imploring him to give him the ball, is, or should be a penalty. Any other time in the game, that is a delay of game.

Having that ball player spot the ball in the middle of the field, at the incorrect yard line, in an attempt to get off a clock kill play, in an effort to kick a FG, a scoring attempt in which every yard matters, is an EMBARASSMENT!

Having an official lean into touch that player spotted ball to make it "official" is a complete joke.

Stopping the game under guise of replay to review a play that was not in question in completely laughable and evil.

Evil to those who just wish to go to bed before midnight on a Sunday evening, excuse me, Monday morning.

FU NFL and your obvious ploy for ratings at a time when the MLB post season is on, the NHL season has started, and on a day when your own product never looked shittier.

FU.

\

FU

FU
Spot on post.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Everyone always makes excuses for Bush for some reason. I am not totally giving up on him, but compared to the other Devin, ours stinks. He has not flashed much at any time and his coverage is horrible. I just don't think he is a football guy.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone always makes excuses for Bush for some reason. I am not totally giving up on him, but compared to the other Devin, ours stinks. He has not flashed much at any time and his coverage is horrible. I just don't think he is a football guy.
Just pointed out what I felt his inconsistencies were due to. Not making excuses for the guy. His play needs to improve. I think his coverage has been light years better than his run D, have to disagree with that notion. That other Devin was picked where the team never has the luxury of drafting. Again Bush could play better I am in agreement there.

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
I wouldn't say game ball, but I think Loudermilk deserves an "attaboy". I like how he gets after it out there.

The Norwood kid making big stops on 3rd downs... I loved seeing that.

No game ball for the O-line. Not until I see Ben standing still back there with plenty of time to wait for receivers to break open, or see a 200 yard team rushing day. Just because they've improved enough to look better than 5 turnstiles doesn't mean they're good.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Game ball .. Harris, Friermuth play with desire to win. Ben who has tp put up with receivers that are lost more than not. Watt
Goats defense that laid down second half except for Watt, Bush who has lost his way, Claypoole five times he blew it, Canada for calls that have no chance. whom ever teaches tackling technique
FUs Tomlin, for that pathetic post game BS, out coached, cannot see the players that are not doing their job and not pulling them out, the rest of the coaching staff unable to improve any of these players.

chipped ham

Reaction score
Chicoman's Game Balls are spot on, couldn't have said it better myself.

Game Goat: I've never seen a team run at the same defensive lineman as relentlessly as the Seahawks ran at Wormley in the third quarter last night. How many times did they gash his side of the interior with the same one or two plays? Downright embarrassing, as Seattle turned the game around with an astute halftime adjustment.

Also, Ben gets a (dis)honorable mention with an anemic 5.7 YPA, another lost fumble on a night where he faced little pressure from a poor defense, and was very lucky to be gifted two dropped INTs by #33 in crucial game situations. I honestly don't know how much more I can take of watching this guy consistently throw the ball well short of the line to gain on 3rd down. The shell of his former self that Ben has become makes me literally nauseous at times. He has practically nothing left of what once made him great.

The FU goes to PFF, who has evidently determined that Minkah Fitzpatrick is somehow the second-worst safety in all of the NFL (#84 of 85). Give me a ******* break.
This is another reason to not take a damn thing PFF says as even remotely serious: when doing their player introductions, I’m almost positive that Wormley showed as having a positional rank of #15 out of 100+ dlineman. Get. The. ****. Out. Dude has been garbage since we acquired him, and its never been more evident than it was last night. Remember: the ******* rats traded him to their biggest rival. If he was remotely close to adequate, there’s no way that goes down.

steelcan58

Reaction score
No game ball for it, but it was nice to see a couple of play action passes. Where the hell has that been the last few years? Telegraphing if it's a run or a pass by being under center or in shotgun makes it more difficult for a struggling OL.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think you nailed all of the players.

Watt was terrific once again and made the big-time play in the big-time moment. Three deflected passes from his position on top of the sacks and forced fumble is terrific.

Watt is our best player, but Heyward is the most consistent player who can dominate a game. He's doing this playing with a bunch of backups along the defensive line. He's defying age right now, getting better as he gets older.

Highsmith is a guy who was on the verge of making big plays and finally did. You can tell his increased strength over the offseason. When he wraps up a back, they aren't going anywhere.

Norwood had his best game as a pro. So impressed with his hit on DK.

The duo of Harris and Freiermuth are our best weapons outside of Johnson. I'll always say the Steelers should've addressed the offensive line, but did love the potential of both of these guys and they are growing into foundation players.

Boswell hit two clutch kicks. Nothing more you can ask from your kicker.

In addition to Bush and Claypool on the Goats list, I would add Moore. He's regressing each week. The entire OL run blocking was terrible until late in the game.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
I will not understate how much Najee means to this offense. Leading rusher and leader in receptions (tied with DJ). Much like we used Bell, but way earlier in his career. He has more pure talent than Bell ever had as an athletic, explosive runner.

Absolutely. And it's like watching a veteran out there. They already have him so involved in the passing game. The guy just has it all.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
The duo of Harris and Freiermuth are our best weapons outside of Johnson. I'll always say the Steelers should've addressed the offensive line, but did love the potential of both of these guys and they are growing into foundation players.

It's crazy they're both rookies.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
That, and Harvin was clutch on the holds to give Boz a clean go at it.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I suggested sending Ebron out for doughnuts during the game, but he had his best game of the year...not saying much, but I can’t recall any drops from him this game and he added a TD...baby steps.

Gentry has some nice blocks as well as we established some possession ball late in the game, nothing game ball worthy...but it’s always nice to see project guys growing

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Bush is slow. Give him the 2 weeks for his groin to heal and we can properly evaluate him after the bye. I ain't throwing the baby out with the bathwater at this point.

I will tell you who I'm ready to move on from. Edmunds. I'm done with him. He has the cleanest jersey on D because he's always getting caught in the wash... Hopefully Karl Joseph can start after the bye. (Wishful thinking).

Re: Bush - Its not just slow,, he's lost. He has no first step. No quick reaction,, he's tiptoeing around out there caught up in wash being undecisive. On top of that he looks like he is shying away from contact. BINCE was 3x as good as bush in run stopping and making reads and reacting.. Edmunds looks the same way.. Lost , tip toeing,, avoiding contact.