• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

FordFairLane 2024 Big Board

FordFairLane

Reaction score
i think most mocks are similar, perhaps with the WRs after Harrison down a few spots.

Given this, and that a couple more OTs probably get picked in 10-15 spots, it seems like the Steelers could reasonably predict the 6-10 names still available at 20.

Who would be on your list and would you trade up for anyone?
I personally don't like to trade up because I feel if you do you have to be right. We missed on Bush and it hurt the team big. Especially since the Pakers trades up to 21 that year and gave up a ton to do so. Could have really stocked the shelves. But if I were I would say I would probably target Rome Odunze to go opposite George. I think a "fair trade" if he ends up slipping down in the draft is to the Saints for our 1st and we throw in #84. Gets it pretty close on the trade value chart.

Lots of people don’t understand the risk of trading up vs letting the board come to you. In 2019 in my mock along mock I would have sat still and drafted Noah Fant at 20 and then came back and drafted Germaine Pratt at 66. That would have netted us a starting TE and a vastly better ILB and still would be starter in Pratt. But that also affected the 2020 draft as the Steelers would have had a capable starting TE on the roster and would still have their 2020 third round pick that the Broncos used on a starting center in Lloyd Cushenberry. Now the Steelers could have used that pick to groom their future starting center or maybe not. But in 2021 the Steelers likely wouldn’t have gone Freiermuth over Creed if they had Fant at TE and had a glaring hole at center with Creed on the board.

So that missed step in taking Bush and trading up had bigger implications than the average fan would understand.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
i think most mocks are similar, perhaps with the WRs after Harrison down a few spots.

Given this, and that a couple more OTs probably get picked in 10-15 spots, it seems like the Steelers could reasonably predict the 6-10 names still available at 20.

Who would be on your list and would you trade up for anyone?
You seen last year the Steelers will trade up and aren't afraid to nor should they be. This isn't the draft of old where picking high will set you back or at least the Steeler with their approach.

As 1, they tend to not give up a lot of draft capital.

And 2, rookie contracts are price friendly so if a player doesn't pan out like Bush (who was an injury based fail) you don't pick up their option and it won't salary cap handcuff you if you let them go early.

Say you hit on your second and third pick. It makes it even less of an issue. More important that you are hitting on a decent percentage getting decent value than nailing every 1st rounder.

Plus there is free agency to fix screw ups as well.

If they trade up I think it is for a T or a WR which there is some attractive options. Bush was undersized so if you are going to trade up let it be for a little safer of a prospect. Broderick was a much safer option. In a strong RT and WR class I think their floors are safer should they fall in love with a player.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Coolie, nothing can be MORE ranked than your opinions………. Definitely enjoy your write ups on the UH players.

thank You

Salute the nation
**** coolie

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Just an FYI I just dropped Sweat to the 4th round due to pending DUI issues. He might be a good day 3 target now. Sweat’s fall could be huge. I list him as a 4th round value buuuut I probably target him with one of our 6th round picks.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I see you didn’t notice where I have Nelson Caesar. 😬

No, I really like Patrick Paul. Dancing bear with good feet and kick slide. Has long arms and is strong. Stones his man. He has the athleticism to keep up with speed and strength to absorb power.

But for how big he is he is not a mauler. I just don’t see the temperament to drive his guy into the ground and then ram his head into the dirt. He’s finesse.

So even though I love him at LT I don’t want him at RT. Very much like Broderick Jones. Jones is an ok RT but I feel once we move him to LT (please god this fall) he will flourish.
yeah I saw it, but I didn't remember what my comments on Ceasar were. Since my initial post I had started to believe he was likely a 4th or 5th rounder, I may have been a bit drunk writing my first analysis

your view on Paul is fairly accurate in my opinion. He is much better at pass protection and at times would just destroy guys in the running game but he did not consistently show that mauler aspect

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah **** that dumb dude
hey hey hey!!!!
we got kids around here. you wouldnt want Justin to see that and be negatively impacted would you, *******?!!?

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
I personally don't like to trade up because I feel if you do you have to be right. We missed on Bush and it hurt the team big. Especially since the Pakers trades up to 21 that year and gave up a ton to do so. Could have really stocked the shelves. But if I were I would say I would probably target Rome Odunze to go opposite George. I think a "fair trade" if he ends up slipping down in the draft is to the Saints for our 1st and we throw in #84. Gets it pretty close on the trade value chart.

Lots of people don’t understand the risk of trading up vs letting the board come to you. In 2019 in my mock along mock I would have sat still and drafted Noah Fant at 20 and then came back and drafted Germaine Pratt at 66. That would have netted us a starting TE and a vastly better ILB and still would be starter in Pratt. But that also affected the 2020 draft as the Steelers would have had a capable starting TE on the roster and would still have their 2020 third round pick that the Broncos used on a starting center in Lloyd Cushenberry. Now the Steelers could have used that pick to groom their future starting center or maybe not. But in 2021 the Steelers likely wouldn’t have gone Freiermuth over Creed if they had Fant at TE and had a glaring hole at center with Creed on the board.

So that missed step in taking Bush and trading up had bigger implications than the average fan would understand.
Wow, that is A LOT of missed value for freakin' up that Bush pick, big time. Sometimes trading up works (i.e. Troy Polamalu) but other times it really can bit you in the @ss if you miss. And boy did they EVER miss on Bush; what garbage he ended up being. He was STILL sucking in Seattle last I knew.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Wow, that is A LOT of missed value for freakin' up that Bush pick, big time. Sometimes trading up works (i.e. Troy Polamalu) but other times it really can bit you in the @ss if you miss. And boy did they EVER miss on Bush; what garbage he ended up being. He was STILL sucking in Seattle last I knew.
Yep. If you trade up for a guy like Troy you come out smelling like roses. If you miss like they did with Bush it might have been the difference in competing the last few years. I just look at the draft is all about the numbers. The more picks and the earlier the picks the more likely you are to hit. If you put all your eggs in that one players basket you damn well better hit.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Yep. If you trade up for a guy like Troy you come out smelling like roses. If you miss like they did with Bush it might have been the difference in competing the last few years. I just look at the draft is all about the numbers. The more picks and the earlier the picks the more likely you are to hit. If you put all your eggs in that one players basket you damn well better hit.
Nothing illustrates your point better than Troy and Bush. Troy was such a phenomenal "hit" that no one can deny. 2003, pick 15, 2 SB wins 3 SB appearances. What a fantastic player.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Nothing illustrates your point better than Troy and Bush. Troy was such a phenomenal "hit" that no one can deny. 2003, pick 15, 2 SB wins 3 SB appearances. What a fantastic player.
To a lesser extent but still relevant in 2006 the Steelers traded up to 25 from 32 to take Santonio Holmes. I don't think we make it to or win Super Bowl XLIII without him. So trading up can be great if you hit. I do wish we would trade back more than we do when the board doesn't fall our way. I think we reached on Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns when trade offers were likely on the table as teams moved up right after our pick. If Mims and the other tackles and the Mitchell and the other CBs and no receiver is worth the pick I would say we should look to trade to the end of the first to get a Barton or JPJ. Might pick up an extra 3rd or more and still snag a plug and play starter at center.