• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

FA 3rd QB Option

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It's possible he could be something. It's hard to say with that much talent around you.

He definitely needs to work on his public speaking because he comes across as dumber than a box of rocks.

Action Jackson has made it this far with that same trait.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
Given the amount we are paying Mitch to backup Kenney, which I think is an ok position to take for this year, the third QB needs to either be a developmental rookie or a min contract vet. That's my position on whomever becomes the 3rd (doesn't really have anything to do with whether I think Rudolph would be a good backup or third).

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Given the amount we are paying Mitch to backup Kenney, which I think is an ok position to take for this year, the third QB needs to either be a developmental rookie or a min contract vet. That's my position on whomever becomes the 3rd (doesn't really have anything to do with whether I think Rudolph would be a good backup or third).

I lean towards the developmental QB, in this case Mitch won’t be here next year (unless big wage decrease). Seems that 3rd QB should always be a 1-season then be able to actually run the offense. Eve3ntually removing the current 2 and then bring in another 3rd QB. Just a rotation until you find the gifted one.

YOU get the gist.

Salute the nation

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
top seed, just curious as to who you would take between Bennet & Tune ??? I know a little about Tune but not much about Mr. Bennet.

Salute the nation
Well, conversely, I haven't seen much of Tune, but he does have athleticism and the more prototypical NFL quarterback profile at 6'3 220. I'd think that Bennett is the safer play to become an eventual solid backup to Pickett, while Tune might have more potential upside.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, conversely, I haven't seen much of Tune, but he does have athleticism and the more prototypical NFL quarterback profile at 6'3 220. I'd think that Bennett is the safer play to become an eventual solid backup to Pickett, while Tune might have more potential upside.

Thanks topseed, appreciate the feed back.

I’ll take a moment and look at Bennet some.

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
My guess is Rudolph ends up on the 49’rs. Here is the rational….

1. Purdy’s injury recovery is expected to keep him out at least part of the season, meaning they may need to carry an extra qb early in the season
2. Prior to Purdy’s success, there was a strong rumor that Trey Lance wasn’t developing as expected and he might be a bust… It would probably be in their best interest to recoup something for him while there is still value, so its at least possible that they move him at the draft and sign another vet. Mason is cheap and experienced.. he could be an emergency qb option early in the season if they didn’t trade lance, and definitely a guy who could be a backup or spot starter if they did move him.
3. For Mason, all he would have to do is beat out Darnold for the backup spot and he would at least get some starts in the beginning of the season, letting him showcase himself…
4. They are a strong running team that doesn’t need a fleetfooted qb and has a strong D so they don’t need a star qb type to win.
5 Ive read a lot of speculation about the severity of Purdy’s injury… because he played through it, tge swelling didn’t go down until the start of free agency, delaying his surgery. It’s fully possible that Purdy damaged his throwing motion and simply won’t be the same qb when he returns…
Moreover, a rookie qb often doesn’t replicate his initial success later in his career… so its not like even when he gets back, there isn’t a chance that he loses the job anyway…

In short, the 49rs need flexibility at the position because of the uncertainty around it and its probably the best opportunity for Rudolph to play on a team that isn’t absolutely crappy or completely loaded at qb

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Thanks topseed, appreciate the feed back.

I’ll take a moment and look at Bennet some.

Salute the nation

Im not typically a fan of small qbs, but as an emergency #3 id be ok with this guy… he just had a public intoxication arrest so he’d definitely be a burgh favorite… he almost certainly will be there in the 7th. This guy probably ain’t gonna be a home run but he could be a solid single or double if you are looking for a long term backup

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Im not typically a fan of small qbs, but as an emergency #3 id be ok with this guy… he just had a public intoxication arrest so he’d definitely be a burgh favorite… he almost certainly will be there in the 7th. This guy probably ain’t gonna be a home run but he could be a solid single or double if you are looking for a long term backup

Thanks madinsomniac, we will have to get him as a UDFA because if we have a 7th pick and PARISH is there from UH……

I drive the LUXURY S10, burn outs and set new podium record. I spin in, lower the tail gate for Mr. Parish to get in and as I flip the tail gate back up you get to read my home made bed sheet sign (stole the sheet from Paul while visiting) and it says

FULL LOAD

ANY objections????

Salute the nation

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Rudolph should wait until camp to sign with a team. He can get a minimum deal from a bunch of teams to be 3rd string. He should wait to get a look at a team with a depth chart where he'd be the likely #2 and there's a shaky starter.

The Steelers have Kenny as the developmental QB. His backups should be vets who don't need a bunch of reps.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
We should cut Trubisiky saving $8,000,000.00 on the salary cap, and sign a veteran for cheap like maybe 4 million a year. And draft a QB in rounds 3-7 this year.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
We should cut Trubisiky saving $8,000,000.00 on the salary cap, and sign a veteran for cheap like maybe 4 million a year. And draft a QB in rounds 3-7 this year.
Yeah now that there is less backup QBs available a brilliant strategy. That would be something you want to do sooner than later meatball.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I make meatballs out of venison, elk or both. Mmm. Mmm. Good.

Meatball and BACON samiches........................ Mmm Mmm................. BEST (no bread)

Salute the nation

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
if the Steelers do go for a QB late, i'd like Aaron O'Connell from Purdue. Ton of starts under his belt and good accuracy.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
if the Steelers do go for a QB late, i'd like Aaron O'Connell from Purdue. Ton of starts under his belt and good accuracy.
Could you give us a little more detail break-down,….. if you get a chance.

thanks in advance

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
My guess with Rudolph is he learned from Trubisky. He wants to be put in the best position to get a shot to at least play. Teams that are either in need of a QB or not secure in their QB1.

Miami Dolphins. Tua is a concussion away from answering the door when the phone rings. Mike White was a nice pick up but he isn't a huge mountain to overcome to be the teams QB2.

Jets. A- A-Ron hasn't been traded yet and if they do I could definitely see them moving Wilson. If they don't trade for A-A-Ron then they are in a team bind at QB. If they do they have a 40 year old one hit away from being retired.

Redskins- I really like Sam Howell but there's nothing behind him on the depth chart. They are likely in play for a QB in the draft so Mason would want to wait until after to sign. But if so he would likely have a good shot at the backup role. And if Howell did not progress would have a good shot at starting before the year was out.

Ratbirds. Lamar is a dumpster fire, Huntly sucks, and he could get to play vs the Steelers in a revenge type scenario.

Bears. Field is the guy going into the season. They are hoping for a Hurts type jump this year. But if not whoever is #2 could get some playing time at ear end. PJ Walker isn't much of a hurdle for the backup spot.

Bungles. Another revenge type move. I don't see this happening unless Mason doesn't care about having any chance to start. But would be an easy spot to take the #2 role.

Lions. I think Goff is pretty entrenched at the starter but an easy place to take the #2 spot and you are always an injury away from starting in the NFL as a backup.

Vikings. There's been rumors about the Vikes trading Cousins. If they do at the draft and don't get a high draft pick Rudolph could be a bridge for 2023 and show teams what he can do for a longer deal in 2024. I don't put too much stock in the rumors of Cousins.

Texans. I hear that the Texans are not sold on going QB with the #2 pick. Could be BS but if they don't could be a place to try to beat Keenum for the #2 spot and then see how Mills performs. I would assume Mills would be on a short leash.

Falcons. If they don't get a QB to fall to #8 they would go into 2023 with Ridder at QB. Heinicke did get signed for a 7M a year deal so this would be a tougher situation to go into because they aren't going to pay Heinicke to sit on the bench if Ridder cant get it done.

Colts. I don't see them not going QB but if they pass there's not a lot of pick competition on that depth chart. Minshew and Foles are very beatable in an open competition.

Jagoffs. Lawrence is the obvious starter but if Rudolph wants to take backup role and is willing to roll the dice he might not get any playing time as Lawrence is pretty durable it could be a good backup fit at least.

Cards. Good possibility Murray will be out a chunk of 2023 and McCoy isn't much if any competition to start the season as the starter. Not a long term thing but maybe if he gets 10-12 starts and does a little something it gives him a better platform to sell his services in 2024.

Rams. This is where I assume he goes. Stafford's arm is shot from what I have read and the Rams are frantically trying to sell him. Rams have no first round pick and I don't see there being much more than some development guys when they pick. I could see Rudolph at least getting a few starts with Stafford not staying healthy or perhaps a lot of starts if they move on from him.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
My guess with Rudolph is he learned from Trubisky. He wants to be put in the best position to get a shot to at least play. Teams that are either in need of a QB or not secure in their QB1.

Miami Dolphins. Tua is a concussion away from answering the door when the phone rings. Mike White was a nice pick up but he isn't a huge mountain to overcome to be the teams QB2.

Jets. A- A-Ron hasn't been traded yet and if they do I could definitely see them moving Wilson. If they don't trade for A-A-Ron then they are in a team bind at QB. If they do they have a 40 year old one hit away from being retired.

Redskins- I really like Sam Howell but there's nothing behind him on the depth chart. They are likely in play for a QB in the draft so Mason would want to wait until after to sign. But if so he would likely have a good shot at the backup role. And if Howell did not progress would have a good shot at starting before the year was out.

Ratbirds. Lamar is a dumpster fire, Huntly sucks, and he could get to play vs the Steelers in a revenge type scenario.

Bears. Field is the guy going into the season. They are hoping for a Hurts type jump this year. But if not whoever is #2 could get some playing time at ear end. PJ Walker isn't much of a hurdle for the backup spot.

Bungles. Another revenge type move. I don't see this happening unless Mason doesn't care about having any chance to start. But would be an easy spot to take the #2 role.

Lions. I think Goff is pretty entrenched at the starter but an easy place to take the #2 spot and you are always an injury away from starting in the NFL as a backup.

Vikings. There's been rumors about the Vikes trading Cousins. If they do at the draft and don't get a high draft pick Rudolph could be a bridge for 2023 and show teams what he can do for a longer deal in 2024. I don't put too much stock in the rumors of Cousins.

Texans. I hear that the Texans are not sold on going QB with the #2 pick. Could be BS but if they don't could be a place to try to beat Keenum for the #2 spot and then see how Mills performs. I would assume Mills would be on a short leash.

Falcons. If they don't get a QB to fall to #8 they would go into 2023 with Ridder at QB. Heinicke did get signed for a 7M a year deal so this would be a tougher situation to go into because they aren't going to pay Heinicke to sit on the bench if Ridder cant get it done.

Colts. I don't see them not going QB but if they pass there's not a lot of pick competition on that depth chart. Minshew and Foles are very beatable in an open competition.

Jagoffs. Lawrence is the obvious starter but if Rudolph wants to take backup role and is willing to roll the dice he might not get any playing time as Lawrence is pretty durable it could be a good backup fit at least.

Cards. Good possibility Murray will be out a chunk of 2023 and McCoy isn't much if any competition to start the season as the starter. Not a long term thing but maybe if he gets 10-12 starts and does a little something it gives him a better platform to sell his services in 2024.

Rams. This is where I assume he goes. Stafford's arm is shot from what I have read and the Rams are frantically trying to sell him. Rams have no first round pick and I don't see there being much more than some development guys when they pick. I could see Rudolph at least getting a few starts with Stafford not staying healthy or perhaps a lot of starts if they move on from him.
I personally would love to see him signs with the Browns. That would be epic

FordFairLane

Reaction score

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Nice break down and a little wishful thinking.

NOT all of these teams see Mason as their go to QB, regardless of scenario pictured.

Mason doesn’t have the pick of the litter and he probably gets 1-5 contacts to see where he is at on money terms. Keep in mind that the cheaper he is the more come a knocking will happen.

I don’t wish him or any player bad, but sometimes the need doesn’t exceed the want.

Salute the naqtion

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice break down and a little wishful thinking.

NOT all of these teams see Mason as their go to QB, regardless of scenario pictured.

Mason doesn’t have the pick of the litter and he probably gets 1-5 contacts to see where he is at on money terms. Keep in mind that the cheaper he is the more come a knocking will happen.

I don’t wish him or any player bad, but sometimes the need doesn’t exceed the want.

Salute the naqtion
Mason is what he is at this point

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Way better than what he might be if Garrett had hit him with the hard part of the helmet. He could be a vegetable

THAT whole bullshit scenario episode helped kill MASON Rudolf’s NFL career…….. if there was one.

Salute the nation