• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Dulac by way of 93.7 The Fan Tomlin Extension Coming

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Look, the Steelers got where they did by not making rash, knee jerk reactions…and there is a lot of good in that philosophy… they don’t change schemes or coaches often because the Steelers way is predicated on drafting and development… and that goes better with stability

Having said that, you find that while a lot of coaches schemes and teachings click in year two, occasionally some do get that bump in year 3… and i see why they kept Canada…not that I agree with it completely… they wanted a power run game… they couldn’t install it year 1 with Ben…it took till week 7 to click here this season… but the passing game was not complimentary… however they also had a rookie QB… so i get the free pass on the offense being horrible at getting points on the board…

But you absolutely positively definitely need a backup OC ready to go, because if the O isn’t pulling its weight by like week 4 at the latest, you have to look at making a change… and I like Canada more than most here.. i do think he is too rigid for the pro game though

As for Tomlin.. i always thought that him moving franchises and getting a fresh perspective would really help him in the areas he is deficient at, but like with cowher im not sure that is ever going to happen

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Look, the Steelers got where they did by not making rash, knee jerk reactions…and there is a lot of good in that philosophy… they don’t change schemes or coaches often because the Steelers way is predicated on drafting and development… and that goes better with stability

Having said that, you find that while a lot of coaches schemes and teachings click in year two, occasionally some do get that bump in year 3… and i see why they kept Canada…not that I agree with it completely… they wanted a power run game… they couldn’t install it year 1 with Ben…it took till week 7 to click here this season… but the passing game was not complimentary… however they also had a rookie QB… so i get the free pass on the offense being horrible at getting points on the board…

But you absolutely positively definitely need a backup OC ready to go, because if the O isn’t pulling its weight by like week 4 at the latest, you have to look at making a change… and I like Canada more than most here.. i do think he is too rigid for the pro game though

As for Tomlin.. i always thought that him moving franchises and getting a fresh perspective would really help him in the areas he is deficient at, but like with cowher im not sure that is ever going to happen
I have a hard time giving Canada much of a pass because he's been, at best, average for most of his career. He only has two or three great seasons as OC over his entire career so unless he catches lightning in a bottle, I'm not expecting much.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
After three years of nagging to make the running game better, Shades finally did this season so Deuce probably sees that as great success.

12112646.jpg

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
More 8-8-1 seasons ahead?
Offense should be as good next year as they were at the end of this season. I’m concerned the defense won’t be as good if Flores leaves. So another 9-8 and first round playoff loss if they get into the playoffs.

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
Artie has also said that they don’t listen to the fans…………..

MAYBE

We should all start a letter campaigne demanding that he (ART) extends Coach Tomlin 2 more years…………

Salute the nation
Artie may not realize it, but a lot of us aren't listening to the team anymore either and are tuning out the product at least relative to the passion for the team once felt.

Tomlin built that.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I'm fine with Tomlin staying. I'm not fine with Canada. The concept of resigning Tomlin needlessly now and keeping Canada feels like a FU we know better to fans.

str8liner

Reaction score
Something else troubles me.
We had Ben in his prime surrounded by AB, Martavis Bryant, Lev Bell, Heath Miller, and many more and the best we could do is win three playoff games from 2011 thru 2021.
I’m convinced that Tomlin does not last
this long with 31 other teams with those results.
The Eagles moved on from Andy Reid who had a SB appearance and Doug Pederson who actually one a SB as recent as 2017.
Why is Art so tied to Tomlin? So he moves on to another team. So what!
The organization needs a breath of new life and I don’t care that the players love him. Again, so what!
Art I suppose just does not have lofty expectations like us fans.
9-8 is good enough it appears!

I mentioned this in a previous thread. The Eagles most likely will win their second Superbowl in 5 years after a complete rebuild with a new head coach and Mikey T couldn't figure out how to beat the Pats with the best offensive talent in the league for years.

Oh you watch, Pickett will make some progress next year and the defense will be good enough to make the lowered wild card standard they have now and we will be on the way back to mediocrity.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
I mentioned this in a previous thread. The Eagles most likely will win their second Superbowl in 5 years after a complete rebuild with a new head coach and Mikey T couldn't figure out how to beat the Pats with the best offensive talent in the league for years.

Oh you watch, Pickett will make some progress next year and the defense will be good enough to make the lowered wild card standard they have now and we will be on the way back to mediocrity.
First off I think we overestimate exactly how talented our players are, secondly we rarely if ever had all those talented players playing once we made the playoffs. We as fanbase are very passionate but we can be incredibly fickle turning on players and coaches in the blink of an eye. We did it to Neil O., Kordell and many others. We can be as bad as OSU fans who only like their head coaches undefeated or dead.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
First off I think we overestimate exactly how talented our players are, secondly we rarely if ever had all those talented players playing once we made the playoffs. We as fanbase are very passionate but we can be incredibly fickle turning on players and coaches in the blink of an eye. We did it to Neil O., Kordell and many others. We can be as bad as OSU fans who only like their head coaches undefeated or dead.
I'll rank the starters on tiers
Tier 1 = elite
Tier 2 = above average
Tier 3 = average
Tier 4 = below average
Tier 5 = bad

OFFENSE
Tier 1:
Tier 2: Freiermuth, Pickens, Cole, Daniels
Tier 3: Dotson (borderline Tier 2/3, lacks consistency), D. Watt
Tier 4: Pickett, Harris, Johnson (as a No. 1 receiver), Moore, Okorafor,
Tier 5:

The offensive line has no individually great talent, but collectively played well as the season progressed. The skill positions have potential, but lack production. Najee is a clear Tier 4 with only six games with an average of at least 4.0 YPC this season.

DEFENSE
Tier 1: Heyward, Watt, Fitzpatrick
Tier 2: Highsmith, Sutton, Kazee
Tier 3: Ogunjobi, Pierre, Edmunds
Tier 4: Spillane, Jack, Wallace
Tier 5: Alualu, Adams, Bush, Witherspoon

The defense has a lot of talent, but it also has a lot of bad players on the field at any given time.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Something else troubles me.
We had Ben in his prime surrounded by AB, Martavis Bryant, Lev Bell, Heath Miller, and many more and the best we could do is win three playoff games from 2011 thru 2021.
I’m convinced that Tomlin does not last
this long with 31 other teams with those results.
The Eagles moved on from Andy Reid who had a SB appearance and Doug Pederson who actually one a SB as recent as 2017.
Why is Art so tied to Tomlin? So he moves on to another team. So what!
The organization needs a breath of new life and I don’t care that the players love him. Again, so what!
Art I suppose just does not have lofty expectations like us fans.
9-8 is good enough it appears!
That 2015 roster was loaded. It should’ve resulted in a super bowl win

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll rank the starters on tiers
Tier 1 = elite
Tier 2 = above average
Tier 3 = average
Tier 4 = below average
Tier 5 = bad

OFFENSE
Tier 1:
Tier 2: Freiermuth, Pickens, Cole, Daniels
Tier 3: Dotson (borderline Tier 2/3, lacks consistency), D. Watt
Tier 4: Pickett, Harris, Johnson (as a No. 1 receiver), Moore, Okorafor,
Tier 5:

The offensive line has no individually great talent, but collectively played well as the season progressed. The skill positions have potential, but lack production. Najee is a clear Tier 4 with only six games with an average of at least 4.0 YPC this season.

DEFENSE
Tier 1: Heyward, Watt, Fitzpatrick
Tier 2: Highsmith, Sutton, Kazee
Tier 3: Ogunjobi, Pierre, Edmunds
Tier 4: Spillane, Jack, Wallace
Tier 5: Alualu, Adams, Bush, Witherspoon

The defense has a lot of talent, but it also has a lot of bad players on the field at any given time.
We really see things far differently. I would lower Dotson to 4, I would raise DJ to 2, Pickett to 3 for now, Harris a 2 based on the second half of the season and Chuks a 3, Cole a 3 and Daniels a 3.

Defensively we are closer. Tier 1 agreed but Highsmith is damn close in my book, Tier 2 I am tempted to put Edmunds up there if they keep using him like they did later in the season as a hybrid LB/S. Kazee gets a 2 but on a trial basis lol. Bush isn't a 5 despite how we feel about his pick, he was average to below average getting better as the season progressed. I get the grade based on what it cost to draft him but not on pure game play he wasn't as bad as we feel he was. Not worth keeping unless very cheap but not a 5. Witherspoon wasn't close to being a 5 he had games anywhere from a 2 to a 4 I would go 3 to split the difference. Yes he had a few really bad plays but he did make some plays as well he just lacked consistency. We need an upgrade but lets not pretend was valueless the whole season. Pierre is the hard one for me, at times he looks really good then at times he was giving up big plays as well.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
That 2015 roster was loaded. It should’ve resulted in a super bowl win
was it when it counted? Look at our starting lineup for the Broncos game. Offense was decimated by injuries, an unfortunate common theme the last 10 years and because of Ben's Salary the depth was weakened. Teams have to have a lot of luck to overcome the lack of depth after paying a QB like Ben their big paydays. We often times forget who we actually had playing in these playoff games we lost.

1675620541190.png

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
We really see things far differently. I would lower Dotson to 4, I would raise DJ to 2, Pickett to 3 for now, Harris a 2 based on the second half of the season and Chuks a 3, Cole a 3 and Daniels a 3.

Defensively we are closer. Tier 1 agreed but Highsmith is damn close in my book, Tier 2 I am tempted to put Edmunds up there if they keep using him like they did later in the season as a hybrid LB/S. Kazee gets a 2 but on a trial basis lol. Bush isn't a 5 despite how we feel about his pick, he was average to below average getting better as the season progressed. I get the grade based on what it cost to draft him but not on pure game play he wasn't as bad as we feel he was. Not worth keeping unless very cheap but not a 5. Witherspoon wasn't close to being a 5 he had games anywhere from a 2 to a 4 I would go 3 to split the difference. Yes he had a few really bad plays but he did make some plays as well he just lacked consistency. We need an upgrade but lets not pretend was valueless the whole season. Pierre is the hard one for me, at times he looks really good then at times he was giving up big plays as well.
I should've added I weighted things heavily in terms of production. I do believe some of the talent is better than what we are seeing and that is a testament to the coaching staff's inability to put these players in position to succeed.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score

Neil O's last game ever for the Steelers was superbowl XXX. Then he bolted town. That's a lasting mark in a crushing defeat.

Kordell was never the same after his epic meltdown in the AFCCG vs Denver. It wasn't some quick turn on him. It was multiple bad seasons. It was to the point I thought he had blackmail pictures on Cowher because he started way longer than he should have. I really liked Kordell. I liked the Slash role and I would have loved to have seen him go full-time wr.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
was it when it counted? Look at our starting lineup for the Broncos game. Offense was decimated by injuries, an unfortunate common theme the last 10 years and because of Ben's Salary the depth was weakened. Teams have to have a lot of luck to overcome the lack of depth after paying a QB like Ben their big paydays. We often times forget who we actually had playing in these playoff games we lost.

View attachment 10469
Wasn’t the game close? Injuries perhaps did them in. But isn’t it a next man up mentality?

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
Wasn’t the game close? Injuries perhaps did them in. But isn’t it a next man up mentality?
Sure it is but in the playoffs injuries like they faced were a killer on offense. Defense and Ben kept it close but as has happened too many times in 10 years the backups no matter how much you try to have that mentality just didn't have the skills despite having tons of heart. The optimist that I am I credit Tomlin for the fact many of these games were close despite the lack of depth at backup. Just look a the receivers and running backs we had in this game and Cody Wallace at center. Holy hell.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
Neil O's last game ever for the Steelers was Superbowl XXX. Then he bolted town. That's a lasting mark in a crushing defeat.

Kordell was never the same after his epic meltdown in the AFCCG vs Denver. It wasn't some quick turn on him. It was multiple bad seasons. It was to the point I thought he had blackmail pictures on Cowher because he started way longer than he should have. I really liked Kordell. I liked the Slash role and I would have loved to have seen him go full-time wr.
His game crashed when the cop started the rumor of him being gay and being caught in the park. Probably was in retaliation for that Denver game. He just lost it. I think that Dan tried to save the guys career because of the viciousness of that unnamed cops actions and the horrible response he got that game from the fans, calling him names and throwing beer on him. Neil bolted in part because of what was being said about him as well as for the payday.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
His game crashed when the cop started the rumor of him being gay and being caught in the park. Probably was in retaliation for that Denver game. He just lost it. I think that Dan tried to save the guys career because of the viciousness of that unnamed cops actions and the horrible response he got that game from the fans, calling him names and throwing beer on him. Neil bolted in part because of what was being said about him as well as for the payday.

Got to have thicker skin to play quarterback in Pittsburgh. Bradshaw had years of brutal **** with the fans and press. They had an effigy of him hanging from a rope at games before he started winning superbowls. Even then at the end they cheered when got hurt. Many people are just dicks. No wonder he didn't come back for 20 years.

I personally I'd never have social media or read the press.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Got to have thicker skin to play quarterback in Pittsburgh. Bradshaw had years of brutal **** with the fans and press. They had an effigy of him hanging from a rope at games before he started winning superbowls. Even then at the end they cheered when got hurt. Many people are just dicks. No wonder he didn't come back for 20 years.

If fans treated me like that. I’d bolt asap.
I’d tell the team “thanks for having my back, but this place wants me gone”

Some people are dicks and the sad thing is some go as far as to try intentionally stalk you and murder you. Just stupid. I don’t blame him for his bitterness

Steelmann

Reaction score

I copied the paragraph below. You don’t consider Steeler Nation as Social Media?

Social media is really just a category of the type of media (communication or published content) and the way in which people are using it. So if the forum is set up in a way that users are able to create and share content, to connect and communicate with each other . . . then yes, it could be classed as social media.