• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Draft Targets by round

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah webster was the perfect center for his era... but dawson could have probably added the weight to be a modern Center and still been athletic as hell... he was 6-2/6-3 ish and 288, which was huge for that time... now centers are 6/4 and play heavier, but with a fraction of the leverage older ones got...
Why does everyone over look Mansfield? Legend.

Troglodyte

Reaction score

Rep 1(11 sec)- Sweat- Loss
Rep 2(1:02)- Sweat- Win
Rep 3(2:20)- Sweat- I guess you are saying this is a loss. Sweat gets on Limmer with power initially but Limmer resets so I would say this is a neutral play. If this is a win for Sweat then he won every rep vs everyone else besides Limmer. 3:30 vs Coleman. 5:22 vs Robinson.
Rep 4(5:28)- Fiske- Win- Fiske does a swim move but Limmer keeps his feet and pushes him past the QB.

Rep 1- Crumedy- Win
Rep 2- Sweat- Win
Rep 3- Jackson- Win
Then they start practicing and not one on ones.

Rep 4- Limmer gets to the second level but the LB does get off his block. There's good and bad about this play. Good he identifies and gets to his guy immediately. But the defender uses his arms to push Limmer back and get off his block and into the play.
Rep 5- Win in pass blocking
Rep 6- Win text book screen set up. Stones his man and creates a wall.
Rep 7- Win
Rep 8 and 9 are from the first vid.
Rep 10- Win. Uses Fiske's aggressiveness to move him out of the gap.
Rep 11- Win
Rep 12- Win
Rep 13- Win
Rep 14- Win
Rep 15- Win. Walls off his man again to give the RB his back.
Rep 16- Win
Rep 17- Loss
Rep 18- WIn
Rep 19- Win
Rep 20- Win
Rep 21- Win

Here's Jackson Powers-Johnson

Rep 1- :)10)- Carter- Win- But you might count this as a loss as he gets club armed initially. I call this a win because he re-sets and re-directs after the initially hit.
Rep 2- (6:20)- Michael Hall- Win- Again you might call this a loss because Hall gets past him but it is a win because he uses Halls aggressiveness to get him past the QB.
Rep 3- (7:00)- Tyler Davis- Win- Davis uses power very well but JPJ keeps his feet and absorbs it.
Rep 4- (9:50)- Tyler Daivs- Win- Again, Davis gets to JPJ initially but JPJ keeps his feet and directs him.

The one-on-one stuff you really have to look at the film. Normally, interior linemen have help from both sides and that is why they win more often than not during game play. But in one-on-one they typically have to redirect. I would love to see what JPJ does vs Sweat as he did not have to deal with that kind of strength. And JPJ has strong hands so it would have been a good match up.

The limitation with that drill is it gives the DL an advantage in that there’s no traffic (other lineman) so they have more space and options that might not exist during a real play.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
Why does everyone over look Mansfield? Legend.

Yea, he's right up there for all time Steeler centers but as Badcat mentioned, that was quite a while back. In fact it's been 48 years since his last year in football. When he started football, the NFL had only been around 42 years, 1920. He worked in insurance during the off season and after football. My oldest step brother worked with him, said he was hilarious and a great guy. RIP Ranger.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Herbig makes me more uneasy at C than Cole did. And as I've pointed out, Herbig couldn't beat out Cole last season to start.

just an off-the-wall... if we got say Mims/Latham and moved Jones to LT, would Daniels be ok at Center? Then we could move Moore to RG. or even Spencer Anderson at C?
That would basically put 4 guys in new positions from where they were last season, with two playing "out of position" between Daniels and Moore. I don't think they want that type of shakeup.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Webster was better than both
Different era. Mike was listed at 255, and that was with juice help (not even illegal in his day). The best Cs today are 300 LBs. Big difference.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Herbig makes me more uneasy at C than Cole did. And as I've pointed out, Herbig couldn't beat out Cole last season to start.

just an off-the-wall... if we got say Mims/Latham and moved Jones to LT, would Daniels be ok at Center? Then we could move Moore to RG. or even Spencer Anderson at C?
Moore is resistant to moving from LT, probably because that's where the big $ is. And his "buddy" HC goes along with it.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Moore is resistant to moving from LT, probably because that's where the big $ is. And his "buddy" HC goes along with it.
yeah, it's obvious.
Jones was damn near unbeatable with limited experience at the pro-level. can't imagine how damn good he can be at LT if he is just green lighted over there. Hopefully a Mims or Latham drops in our laps and forces the change of Jones to LT and Moore to wherever.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he is resistant because he hasn’t played RT since his freshman year in college. Maybe that is why his buddy goes along with it. I think he could move to LG but I wouldn’t bother trying him at RT.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Different era. Mike was listed at 255, and that was with juice help (not even illegal in his day). The best Cs today are 300 LBs. Big difference.
you play against who was there

in his day Mike was better

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Maybe he is resistant because he hasn’t played RT since his freshman year in college. Maybe that is why his buddy goes along with it. I think he could move to LG but I wouldn’t bother trying him at RT.
I think they tried to move him to RT and Moore stunk...perhaps coincidentally. Or perhaps LTs make more.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
yeah, it's obvious.
Jones was damn near unbeatable with limited experience at the pro-level. can't imagine how damn good he can be at LT if he is just green lighted over there. Hopefully a Mims or Latham drops in our laps and forces the change of Jones to LT and Moore to wherever.
I hope and pray, I mean, Jones was drafted to play LT, what are we doing wasting time with him over at RT to keep the inferior Moore at LT? He's ranked at the bottom of the LT starters every year (3 in a row). But we're wasting time with Jones at RT?

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score

What if Cole, like Green before him, was appointed by Tomlin (like Moore at LT) and then only got ditched when new OC said "no way" to Cole?

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think they are on the radar for at least the 2nd round. It's where we drafted Dirt, maybe the best OC we ever drafted. I know I might get flamed for saything this, but Dirt was better than Pouncey.
Dirt was better than Webby, and Webby was better than Pouncey

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, would you be ok with this draft?

20- Nate Wiggins CB
51- Kiran Amegadjie OT
84-Maason Smith DL
98- Beaux Limmer OC
119- Johnny Wilson WR
178- Marist Liufua ILB
195- Javon Solomon Edge

Or

20- Brian Thomas Jr WR
51- Kiran Amegadjie OT
84- Maason Smith DL
98- Cam Hart CB
119- Mason McCormick G/C
178- Marist Liufua ILB
195- Eric Watts DL

See there’s a ton of combinations to fill all the teams needs. I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting a OC in round one or two but I just feel we could probably fill that hole later.
Sure, you could fill the C hole later, but not with a day 1 starter. Maybe he starts in 25 and plays above average, that would be value, but not the impact they need @ C.

I get it, you want to go a different direction.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The top 3 C’s in team history are not really up for discussion, though the order is:
Dawson
Webster
Mansfield

The next 2 that round out the too 5 are:
Hartings
Pouncey

For those that think Pouncey is being disrespected, he isn’t, he is legitimately top 5, just not top 3.