• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Day 3 Camp Report: Bring Out the Pads

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The Steelers hit the ground running today. There was significantly more energy before the guys started hitting each other, so you knew it was going to be a good day.

A few notes before we get to practice. Dana Holgorsen and John Calipari were both in attendance along with some coaches from a small college.

During the stretches, Heyward, Moats and some others kept yelling "Happy Birthday D Will," who was having none of it (since it wasn't his birthday). Eventually some woman caught on the started a boiterous rendition of "Happy Birthday" from the crowd. Needless to say, the players got a kick out of it. Williams was also having a field day with Greg Warren and at one point said "All you do is snap balls."

Offense Notes

When you see Ben Roethlisberger in a long-sleeve shirt and shorts, you know it's going to be a long day from the quarterback position. That's pretty much what we got as he sat out practice. Landry Jones is once again being given every opportunity to prove himself. We already know what we are getting from these guys, but in case you forgot or are unsure: Jones gets caught up with slow decision making and caves under pressure. He has slightly more poise than last year, but he is what he is. Gradkowski can avoid the rush, but has some happy feet and his accuracy is mediocre. Vaughan looks the part, but can't hit the broadside of a barn on some passes.

Not much from the running backs today. Bell and Williams didn't get as much action with the first day of hitting, but I will note that Williams had several drops. Of course that isn't much of a concern given his proven track record. No one stood out in terms of running the ball and while I saw some positive reports on Twitter from the backs-on-backers drill (I find it to be overrated), I have to say I didn't hear as many collisions as I was used to and figured that was a sign of linebackers blowing by the running backs, but I can't say for sure.

It's easy to get enamored with the receivers during this time of year. The nature of practice sets these guys up to succeed and there were some standouts. Ayers showed some quickness on his cuts, but his catch of the day was just behind Davis where he adjusted to a ball thrown to the outside shoulder on a route down the sideline and made the reception in bounds. Norwood beat his man on a deep route and made a nice one-handed cradling catch and had another impressive grab before the session ended. I once again came away impressed with Blakeney, who at 6'6" does not have a lot of quickness, but is pretty smooth and does a great job extended the catch radius. However, going against the bottom of the depth chart corners, it is hard to evaluate him. Rogers made a catch on a deep cross in open field and had a chance to showcase his burst, which isn't even in the same league as Brown. That is not to knock Rogers, but rather to state how good Brown is. By the way, Brown never misses and opportunity to get the crowd going. Every deep catch he makes, he is sure to egg on the crowd the give some loud cheers.

I know it's early, but I think the offensive line is set. Villanueva doesn't have the look of a dominate force at left tackle, but he also is progressing. He will have his problems against the top speed rushers, which isn't exactly a surprise. I like what I've seen from him in team and individual drills. By no means does Harris look terrible, but unless he proves to be pretty far ahead of Villanueva, I don't see the benefit of starting him. On the inside, DeCastro demonstrated his strength in a one-on-one against Tuitt. Tuitt came in on a bull rush, but DeCastro held him very well. Hawkins showed some signs of having a future at tackle and held his own during drills. He did seem to give a little too much respect to the speed rushers and will get destroyed if they make an inside move, but you can see there is potential.

Defense Notes

The first-team defensive line with McCullers in the middle was a big reason why the defense was so dominant against the run. Hargrave should get plenty of snaps before the end of the season as he is already flashing that quick first step. He had some success during the individual drills with this and he will be one to watch in game action. I also believe the Steelers will be better off with Mathews and a more experienced Walton at defensive end.

Fort is making a nice push to make the roster after he nearly had his second interception in three days. He is around the ball a lot and if he can show on special teams, may be worth a roster spot. At this point, it'll probably come down to him or Johnson, who is having a nice camp so far. Matakevich hasn't had many impact play, if any, but you can tell he is a smart player and knows how to find the ball when you watch him. He worked at both inside linebacker spots. Shazier is beginning to take over and was flying all over the field and delivering some big hits. While it's great to see, you can't help but watch him and worry that he's going to get dinged up. Besides becoming the potential impact defender the Steelers drafted him for, he's also masked Timmons' weaknesses--particularly in coverage. Last year, Timmons got schooled down the middle of the field and has not been used in that area so far this year.

Many may not like this, but I actually would be fine with the Steelers starting Dupree and Jones, leaving Harrison to come off the bench. At some point you have to accept that Jones isn't going to be a dynamic pass rusher and take what you get from him. What you do get is a guy you can occasionally get to the quarterback, but consistently perform well against the run and in coverage. He made back-to-back plays in the backfield. I still have my doubts about Feeney in the base defense, yet feel like he can one day contribute in a specialty package. The key is to let him use his speed, which he had a chance to do during an individual drill. He beat the lineman on an inside swim move. No power, just speed and quickness.

Golson was solid in coverage today and I believe had at least one pass broken up. Burns had an up and down day. His first shot against Brown left him on the ground trying to cover a curl route (one of several times he was on the ground for the day). His second attempt he blanketed Brown, though did have safety help. Maybe it's just me, but I think Montell Garner is their worst cover guy in camp. I also thought Golden struggled in today in individual coverage drills, though was much better in team drills. If the Steelers had a bonafide stud rookie to plug in at safety, I think they'd have a legit chance to start. Nothing I've seen from Davis indicates he is ready for that role quite yet, which is to be expected (for all of you Davis haters out there).

Other Notes:
  • Jones and Dupree flipped sides at one point during practice.
  • I noted Brown to a reverse during walkthroughs on Day 1, today it was Heyward-Bey during team drills--he went no where.
  • Xavier Grimble left practice for the second time in three days due to heat issues.
  • Nix left practice early with an injury.
  • The Steelers are given extra attention to Coates, whether it is coaching or opportunities. He had two drops on the day, with one after he fell before the ball came his way and other after he had possession, but had it knocked away (NFL reception rules).

Quote of the Day:

"Don't be a groundhog." - Richard Mann after Marcus Tucker fell to the ground on a route

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Nix left practice early with an injury.

hopefuly nothing serious.

good writeup...

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Ayers showed some quickness on his cuts, but his catch of the day was just behind Davis where he adjusted to a ball thrown to the outside shoulder on a route down the sideline and made the reception in bounds

first steps toward the Hall of Fame......

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice write up and thank you

Salute the nation

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Dupree playing on the weak side is interesting. They need an athlete there and Dupree is by far the best athlete we have at OLB. With him dropping 20 lbs, he may be the solution there.

The Strong side needs more of a run stuffer and bull rusher. Jarvis may not have the size to handle it. We'll see. If not Jarvis, then maybe Chickillo.

If Dupree shows that he can play both sides then you can mix and match with him. If Harrison is in, play Harrison weak and Dupree strong. That's probably the best pass rush combo.

If Dupree looks good on the weak side then it may be Jarvis and Chickillo fighting for playing time.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Dupree playing on the weak side is interesting. They need an athlete there and Dupree is by far the best athlete we have at OLB. With him dropping 20 lbs, he may be the solution there.

The Strong side needs more of a run stuffer and bull rusher. Jarvis may not have the size to handle it. We'll see. If not Jarvis, then maybe Chickillo.

If Dupree shows that he can play both sides then you can mix and match with him. If Harrison is in, play Harrison weak and Dupree strong. That's probably the best pass rush combo.

If Dupree looks good on the weak side then it may be Jarvis and Chickillo fighting for playing time.

It was only for a series, but it was interesting to see. I also read in the Trib that Jarvis ballooned up to 270 pounds (I find that hard to believe) and is back down to 250 this year. I don't think it hurts to have the ability to play both sides considering the Steelers haven't proven to have one outside linebacker capable of playing every down let alone two.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Montell Garner is their worst cover guy in camp

obviously this guy will make the roster and be starting on Day 1

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Wasn't on the board much this weelend. Wish I would've known you were going to be around we could've met up. Next Saturday I'll be returning to camp

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope that Matakevich kid stands out more. I liked his attitude during an interview. Good read again

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Many may not like this, but I actually would be fine with the Steelers starting Dupree and Jones, leaving Harrison to come off the bench. At some point you have to accept that Jones isn't going to be a dynamic pass rusher and take what you get from him. What you do get is a guy you can occasionally get to the quarterback, but consistently perform well against the run and in coverage.

Jarvis Jones is a sub package player who appears skinnier than last season. I'd like to see Chickillo get a chance to take away some of Jones snaps.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Wasn't on the board much this weelend. Wish I would've known you were going to be around we could've met up. Next Saturday I'll be returning to camp

Too bad that didn't work out. I plan on going to the night practice, not sure if I'll be able to get out there Saturday as well, but I'll let you know.

Jarvis Jones is a sub package player who appears skinnier than last season. I'd like to see Chickillo get a chance to take away some of Jones snaps.

Jones told Kaboly that he lost 20 pounds since last year. Depends on what you call the "sub package" any more since he's probably better on running downs and not trying to get after the quarterback. Really just need to get these pass rushers in game action.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
per WDVE, Ryan Shazier won every single backs on backers drill he participated in, won a few with speed and a couple others with a bull rush.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
SteelerFan448 said:

Jones told Kaboly that he lost 20 pounds since last year. Depends on what you call the "sub package" any more since he's probably better on running downs and not trying to get after the quarterback. Really just need to get these pass rushers in game action.

Jones is small the way it is. How is losing 20 pounds going to help him vs the run?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Jones is small the way it is. How is losing 20 pounds going to help him vs the run?

He doesn't need help against the run. He is already pretty good vs the run..His pass rush is what he needs to improve .

deljzc

Reaction score
As a fan base (like all the others), we're always hoping one of the fringe players surprises and becomes a major contributor but the odds say players like Antonio Brown are extremely rare. And even more common is it takes a few years of stacking contributing season on top on one another before a really good player emerges.

I guess I'm saying don't have too high hopes for Zumwaldt, Chickillo, Ayers, Feeney, Matakevich, Rogers, Blakeney, Garner, et. al. All the signs right now point to camp fodder/special teamers for their rookie deals and then another group of late rounders replaces them.

This team's top-40 players are what is going to make or break this season and we really already know who this team is pushing (and forcing) for those to be. The 3rd round picks and higher are going to get all the benefits of the doubt.

As my "mock the draft" indicated, I am much more worried about the tight end position than I guess the Steelers are right now. I'm surprised they didn't try to pick another veteran up before camp once they cut Spaeth, but money might be a little tight. Of all our positional groups this is the most likely to get a camp cut addition from another team in my opinion late in August. I like James, but he is still an ascending player and might not be ready for the work/duty of being a #2. And this is hoping Green can stay healthy for the projected 100% snap counts this season. That's almost too much to ask/expect based on his career. Right now the historic 1400 snap counts for Tight Ends (that's what we've averaged the last 3 seasons) in our offense - where are they getting spread out to exactly???

Remember, the last time we didn't have Miller for an extended stretch (first three games of 2013) and we were forced to use Paulson and David Johnson we scored 42 points (we didn't have Bell those weeks either).

Green better be all he's hyped up to be right now. I worry he's not going to be.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
if Chickillo can't beat out Jarvis, whom every single one of his detractors has called simply awful, then how good is Chickillo, really?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
He doesn't need help against the run. He is already pretty good vs the run..His pass rush is what he needs to improve .

Being stalemated by an OL player is not helping out vs the run.

Shedding the block, and making plays do. Jones has few tackles, few pass defenses, and very few plays behind the line of scrimmage.

He's a part time player and not a very good one at that.

And losing 20 pounds won't help him vs the run. Quite the opposite.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
As a fan base (like all the others), we're always hoping one of the fringe players surprises and becomes a major contributor but the odds say players like Antonio Brown are extremely rare. And even more common is it takes a few years of stacking contributing season on top on one another before a really good player emerges.

I guess I'm saying don't have too high hopes for Zumwaldt, Chickillo, Ayers, Feeney, Matakevich, Rogers, Blakeney, Garner, et. al. All the signs right now point to camp fodder/special teamers for their rookie deals and then another group of late rounders replaces them.

This team's top-40 players are what is going to make or break this season and we really already know who this team is pushing (and forcing) for those to be. The 3rd round picks and higher are going to get all the benefits of the doubt.

As my "mock the draft" indicated, I am much more worried about the tight end position than I guess the Steelers are right now. I'm surprised they didn't try to pick another veteran up before camp once they cut Spaeth, but money might be a little tight. Of all our positional groups this is the most likely to get a camp cut addition from another team in my opinion late in August. I like James, but he is still an ascending player and might not be ready for the work/duty of being a #2. And this is hoping Green can stay healthy for the projected 100% snap counts this season. That's almost too much to ask/expect based on his career. Right now the historic 1400 snap counts for Tight Ends (that's what we've averaged the last 3 seasons) in our offense - where are they getting spread out to exactly???

Remember, the last time we didn't have Miller for an extended stretch (first three games of 2013) and we were forced to use Paulson and David Johnson we scored 42 points (we didn't have Bell those weeks either).

Green better be all he's hyped up to be right now. I worry he's not going to be.

Green if healthy could prove to be good. However its been a while since we featured a weak blocking but speedy type of TE, capable of splittign the seams and getting a few extra yards after the catch. Can Haley intergrate that into the offense, and how long will it take Green to devlop chemstrity with Ben?

I wish Heath woud have given the team one more year, but respect his decsion to retire.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
if Chickillo can't beat out Jarvis, whom every single one of his detractors has called simply awful, then how good is Chickillo, really?

Tomlin will have to give Chickillo the opportunity to beat out Jones first.

With Jones being in his contract year, and Harrison being 38 it would make sense to give a few reps to Chickillo to see what he has. The rookie flashed some talent in camp, converting from Defensive End to a linebacker.

Porter likes Chickillio. So I read, but it could be coachspeak to motivate or light a fire under the people ahead of him's butt.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
many talk about chickillo.

I don't remember seeing him do a damn thing.

Taken from Steeler Depot. BY ALEX KOZORA JULY 31, 2016

Anthony Chickillo starts things off with a bull rush of Alejandro Villanueva, who hops back and rebuffs it.

Chickillo dips and does a nice job cornering against Villanueva, using his height against him.

Chickillo sets up Jerald Hawkins well, beginning outside with his initial steps before slashing inside. Hawkins can’t mirror it and gets dusted.

Sounds like he's doing some good things

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Tomlin will have to give Chickillo the opportunity to beat out Jones first.

With Jones being in his contract year, and Harrison being 38 it would make sense to give a few reps to Chickillo to see what he has. The rookie flashed some talent in camp, converting from Defensive End to a linebacker.

Porter likes Chickillio. So I read, but it could be coachspeak to motivate or light a fire under the people ahead of him's butt.

He like Jones too so what's your point.. making tackles is not the main indicator. Doing your job in the defense is. Jones job as OLB is keep contain on run plays to his side. I watched all 16 games last year and there weren't many plays where he lost contain. Spilling the play to your help is just as important as making the tackle. Defense is about team work.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Harrison is 38 not going to be here much longer..if Chick flashes as a pass rusher in GAMES. Then there is nothing wrong with keeping him and Jones going forward. It doesn't have to be Jones or Chick..combined they can be a good tandem. But first Chick has to show something in games. Jones has at least shown to be a good team defender. Jones reminds me of Clark Haggans ....steady. not his fault he was taken in the first round.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
He like Jones too so what's your point.. making tackles is not the main indicator. Doing your job in the defense is. Jones job as OLB is keep contain on run plays to his side. I watched all 16 games last year and there weren't many plays where he lost contain. Spilling the play to your help is just as important as making the tackle. Defense is about team work.

Every player on the front seven does the same. He's not a nose tackle. Make some plays, please. Yes-- I am aware Tomlin likes Jones, at least in print calling his play " solid "

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Every player on the front seven does the same. He's not a nose tackle. Make some plays, please. Yes-- I am aware Tomlin likes Jones, at east in print calling his play " solid "

That's what he has been solid.. the issue is we needed him to be a super star. Which is why we took another OLB in Dupree. But if Dupree can be that guy then Jones being solid will be fine. And I was referring to Porter liking Jones not sure why you mentioned Tomlin.