• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ben Roethlisberger signs with Pittsburgh Steelers for 2021 NFL season

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Sure, he could have taken more of a cut but he's actually making less than 15 million this year now and he is spreading it over multiple years to reduce the cap hit even more than the $5 million. You are the one treating everyone like a douchebag. Therefore, you get the douchebag label. You are bitching and moaning about everyone else's opinion not the other way around. People are reacting to you being the douchebag, not for having a differing viewpoint.
Whatever you say, guy. I'm not bitching and moaning, I'm pointing out facts which support my opinion. And the fact is, Ben agreeing to accept $14 million is incongruous to what he said beforehand.

Most people were able to disagree with me without calling me a douchebag. But it takes a special type of ******* like yourself to continue to kiss Ben's *** for taking a $5 million paycut, so I guess we're done here.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, and so were alot of other fans, so what, what's the big deal?
It isn't a big deal. Originally I just wanted to correct you about the numbers of the contract, and I didn't appreciate being compared to "morons on the radio." Then you went all **** this and **** that on me, so we got into it.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m still not sure how bringing back Ben for one last year is looked at as a bad thing. If we cut or trade him we still are in for I believe a $22 million dead money hit next year. We still then are in the same area salary cap wise. Then great who do you turn to? Rudolph or Haskins? That’s a downgrade IMO even with Ben at the end of his career. Then let’s just say Jones or Trask are available will they be an upgrade over Ben and long term solution? More than likely not. The only logical thing is to make one last run at it with Ben and surround him with a focus on running the football and playing really good defense which just so happens to be what won the championship in his 2nd season.
Cutting Ben would have resulted in a $22+ million cap hit this year, and nothing next year. Now the current cap hit is about $26 million with another 10+ to come in the future. That's where the 14 million ends up. The Steelers will still be entering 2022 with an 8-figure dead cap number just for Ben, and most likely no closer to any answers about what to do once he's gone.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Your cap numbers have been correct , thing is, where do you find a decent starting QB for what Ben is earning This season? (not counting owed money of.course)

Ben in decline with a decent running game gives us a better chance that rudolph, haskins or any other available $14M QB. In my humble opinion of course
Cutting Ben would have resulted in a $22+ million cap hit this year, and nothing next year. Now the current cap hit is about $26 million with another 10+ to come in the future. That's where the 14 million ends up. The Steelers will still be entering 2022 with an 8-figure dead cap number just for Ben, and most likely no closer to any answers about what to do once he's gone.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
It isn't a big deal. Originally I just wanted to correct you about the numbers of the contract, and I didn't appreciate being compared to "morons on the radio." Then you went all **** this and **** that on me, so we got into it.
Come on man, your first reply to me was you calling Ben my man crush, I posted the morons on radio without quoting you, and before you ever responded to me.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Your cap numbers have been correct , thing is, where do you find a decent starting QB for what Ben is earning This season? (not counting owed money of.course)

Ben in decline with a decent running game gives us a better chance that rudolph, haskins or any other available $14M QB. In my humble opinion of course
It's hard to say, because I don't have any idea where the Steelers stand regarding their outlook toward the future of the QB position. Do they have their eye on one in this year's draft? Next year's? Would they be willing to trade up for their man?

I guess the best example to answer your question would be a trade for Sam Darnold, who is $9.8 million against the cap this year, and could use a change of scenery. But of course I don't have any idea what the Jets' plans are, either.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Come on man, your first reply to me was you calling Ben my man crush, I posted the morons on radio without quoting you, and before you ever responded to me.
No, you didn't directly quote me, but you clearly admonished me as one of the people "bitching" about bringing Ben back.

Look, I hope I'm completely wrong about Ben. I'll also be hoping for him to succeed as much as you or any other Steelers fan. I don't have any other choice.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
And that's the rub Topseed. Sure you have dead cap on Ben. Only $3.7M this year added and $10M if he retires next year. What QB could we have gotten that would have been less than $3.7M this year and $10M in dead money. Our only cheaper option is go with Rudolph/Haskins/Draft a QB. If that's what you prefer, I can understand that. Moving on is an option. Personally, I'd give Ben one more year, and it looks like he is done after this year the way his contract is structured.

There is still enough talent on D to make a run this year. Healthy, we are going to give any offense fits.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Well "last chance" for #7 to get #7. His contract is pretty tell tale but I'm hoping his ability will be better showcased by different OC and run game. If this is his last year then lets hope like hell he goes out with a bang. In the past when Iconic QBs were making their last stand, the NFL helped them go out with a bang, I don't expect any help in that regards. If BEN goes out with a BANG he will need to provide the bang.

Salute the nation

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Well "last chance" for #7 to get #7. His contract is pretty tell tale but I'm hoping his ability will be better showcased by different OC and run game. If this is his last year then lets hope like hell he goes out with a bang. In the past when Iconic QBs were making their last stand, the NFL helped them go out with a bang, I don't expect any help in that regards. If BEN goes out with a BANG he will need to provide the bang.

Salute the nation
He got zero help and consideration last year with our reschedules....

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
And that's the rub Topseed. Sure you have dead cap on Ben. Only $3.7M this year added and $10M if he retires next year. What QB could we have gotten that would have been less than $3.7M this year and $10M in dead money. Our only cheaper option is go with Rudolph/Haskins/Draft a QB. If that's what you prefer, I can understand that. Moving on is an option. Personally, I'd give Ben one more year, and it looks like he is done after this year the way his contract is structured.

There is still enough talent on D to make a run this year. Healthy, we are going to give any offense fits.
Yes, in my opinion, it would have been better to move on from Ben now. But I don't think the Steelers made a horrible deal for Ben, either. He is still an above average NFL quarterback, without a doubt. But he just isn't what he used to be, and he's not good enough anymore to carry this team in the playoffs. If they even make it that far.

And losing big playmakers like Dupree and Hilton is not going to help the cause. If Ben actually had done "everything" he could have, and played for significantly less than $14 million, maybe the Steelers would have been able to at least retain Hilton (although I haven't seen the details of his new contract with the Bengals yet). That is what bothers me most about the whole situation. Now a quality defensive player who could have had an positive impact on the Steelers' future is gone to a division rival.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, in my opinion, it would have been better to move on from Ben now. But I don't think the Steelers made a horrible deal for Ben, either. He is still an above average NFL quarterback, without a doubt. But he just isn't what he used to be, and he's not good enough anymore to carry this team in the playoffs. If they even make it that far.

And losing big playmakers like Dupree and Hilton is not going to help the cause. If Ben actually had done "everything" he could have, and played for significantly less than $14 million, maybe the Steelers would have been able to at least retain Hilton (although I haven't seen the details of his new contract with the Bengals yet). That is what bothers me most about the whole situation. Now a quality defensive player who could have had an positive impact on the Steelers' future is gone to a division rival.
Don't get me started, I'm bent on Hilton leaving, but Ben isn't reason for us not having that money. We can drop Ebron and VW and that is $10M

We can restructure Tuitt $4M Boz $1M, Extend Nelson $5.5M, DD $5.5M Haden $4M and pay TJ to drop his cap by $3M this year ($23M). Plenty of wiggle room that wasn't done and that pisses me off.

Hilton leaves for a 4yr $24M deal. $6M a year. $8.5 year 1 which is a $1.1 salary and $7.4 Bonus His cap number would be just under $3M. And that makes me ******* sick. That and Alualu leaving for $3M a year on a 2 year $6M deal. Hey I know you stared in JAX and the weather is nicer there, but it still hurts when we could have retained good players for next to nothing with a few contract adjustments...

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Cope, you're not alone in this boat.

FO holds the blame

Salute the nation

Steelmann

Reaction score
Don't get me started, I'm bent on Hilton leaving, but Ben isn't reason for us not having that money. We can drop Ebron and VW and that is $10M

We can restructure Tuitt $4M Boz $1M, Extend Nelson $5.5M, DD $5.5M Haden $4M and pay TJ to drop his cap by $3M this year ($23M). Plenty of wiggle room that wasn't done and that pisses me off.

Hilton leaves for a 4yr $24M deal. $6M a year. $8.5 year 1 which is a $1.1 salary and $7.4 Bonus His cap number would be just under $3M. And that makes me ******* sick. That and Alualu leaving for $3M a year on a 2 year $6M deal. Hey I know you stared in JAX and the weather is nicer there, but it still hurts when we could have retained good players for next to nothing with a few contract adjustments...
While I totally agree with your assessments of Hilton & Alualu leaving (we should have been able to sign them....it pisses me off big time) I don’t really get the drop VW,drop Ebron or other players without saying who will replace and how much it will cost. We drop Ebron......who will replace him? Unproven rookie,FA signing? It’s not like replacing the two won’t cost anything. And will it make the team better? Restructure,Restructure,Restructure. It’s part of the reason we are always in this cap mess year after year.

While I have always liked our GM,sometimes I think we give him too much credit. It’s one thing if we are against the cap year after year,and we are fielding a SB caliber team. It’s another thing being against it and not even making the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years. And I think we all know how many playoff games we have won in the last 10 years. While everyone will of course say it all falls on the coaching, a lot of our highly signed players absolutely choked down the stretch and into the playoffs. And of course as GM and VP, does he not have a big time influence of the firing of a HC? Yes,I know Who has the final say.

The amount of people in this thread thinking we are still making a SB run? I don’t think we are even remotely close. It takes a few seasons to rebuild the OLine,running game. People think we just draft RB,OLine,everything magically clicks SB here we come! Be nice if it was that easy.
I get the feeling our secondary is going to take a big step backwards. Hilton leaving is really going to hurt. I think Joe will lose another step this year. Sure would be nice if Justin came on and proved himself. The secondary will do ok only if we put constant pressure on the QB.

Wish I didn’t have such negative vibes about our team. But I do. Regardless,I will wear my Steelers hat,take abuse ,yak smack with the buddies and cheer my team on. Something has to change. We are stagnant. It is a reflection on our HC. I got nothing against him personally. But it’s time for a change.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
If they were going to let so many players on the defense leave, I can't see the point in bringing Ben back. In my opinion, you only bring him back if you think the QB is the one piece you need to get to where you want to go. At this point, bringing Ben back feels like charity. This team is going to a rough go of it this year, I think. Could be really ugly.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
If they were going to let so many players on the defense leave, I can't see the point in bringing Ben back. In my opinion, you only bring him back if you think the QB is the one piece you need to get to where you want to go. At this point, bringing Ben back feels like charity. This team is going to a rough go of it this year, I think. Could be really ugly.
That's really my whole issue with Ben's contract...if he had given the Steelers more flexibility, they wouldn't have to worry about most of the restructuring machinations Cope is talking about -- which now would only serve to further saddle the team in the future as they continue to kick the cap can down the road. And any faint hopes of Super Bowl contention in 2021, which were far-fetched to begin with, are becoming more and more implausible each day with the results of free agency. $6 million a year for Hilton is a steal for the Bengals.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
That's really my whole issue with Ben's contract...if he had given the Steelers more flexibility, they wouldn't have to worry about most of the restructuring machinations Cope is talking about -- which now would only serve to further saddle the team in the future as they continue to kick the cap can down the road. And any faint hopes of Super Bowl contention in 2021, which were far-fetched to begin with, are becoming more and more implausible each day with the results of free agency. $6 million a year for Hilton is a steal for the Bengals.
Ben did his part. The Steelers can free up more space they just to date haven't.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Ben did his part. The Steelers can free up more space they just to date haven't.
Ben helped to reduce his cap hit in 2021, without a doubt. But he didn't do enough to help this team succeed in his existing one-year window. Obviously his return didn't influence the Steelers' most important potential free agents to come back to Pittsburgh -- Dupree, Hilton, Feiler, Alualu -- they couldn't have gotten out of Dodge much faster.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Ben helped to reduce his cap hit in 2021, without a doubt. But he didn't do enough to help this team succeed in his existing one-year window. Obviously his return didn't influence the Steelers' most important potential free agents to come back to Pittsburgh -- Dupree, Hilton, Feiler, Alualu -- they couldn't have gotten out of Dodge much faster.
It wasn't Ben's job to free up more money to retain players. That is Colbert's and company's job. Ben did enough. The FO has had plenty of time to free up money and have sat on their ***. If you want someone to blame they would fit the bill.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Not absolving the front office by any means, but perhaps they were counting on Ben doing anything to help the team and not worrying about his salary in 2021, like he said he would. We really don't know.

Bottom line is: There's a bunch of good former Steeler players who evidently didn't give a **** if Ben came back or not.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Not absolving the front office by any means, but perhaps they were counting on Ben doing anything to help the team and not worrying about his salary in 2021, like he said he would. We really don't know.

Bottom line is: There's a bunch of good former Steeler players who evidently didn't give a **** if Ben came back or not.
What were they supposed to play for the league minimum? You are trying to hard to point a finger Ben's way. As the front office wasn't even competitive with those departed free agents. No they get all the blame in this one. Definitely not buying your thought process here.

GILBERT

Reaction score
I feel like I'm reading the 2020 off season chatter in this thread. Steelers will finish 3rd in the division in the 2020, maybe!

GO Steelers. Happy to have Ben back.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Bud was gone the second we exercised his 5th year option and Watt was obviously a franchise guy that, so they weren't going to pay Bud and Watt.
Restructure Tuitt, and extend Haden and Nelson and they could've made room to sign Hilton, AluAlu, Feiler, and/or keep Vince. They obviously didn't really want them.

Vince is an older, more expensive Spillane. AluAlu only played 43% of the snaps and will turn 34 soon, Feiler wasn't good really at any point this season. They weren't going to sign Sutton and Hilton, Sutton can play slot and outside.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
What were they supposed to play for the league minimum? You are trying to hard to point a finger Ben's way. As the front office wasn't even competitive with those departed free agents. No they get all the blame in this one. Definitely not buying your thought process here.
Hyperbolize much? No, those valuable free agents weren't supposed to play for the league minimum. But Ben sure could have. Or he could have played for $5 million. Or $10 million. Or he could have simply retired.

Neither you nor anyone else have been able to explain why Ben would say what he said, then go on to accept $14 million. Sell me your thought process on how playing for that figure did everything to help the team. Sell me on how somebody can supposedly not care about his salary, then turn around and take another bonus check for almost 13 million dollars.

Here's a hint: You can't.

Last edited: