• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ben Roethlisberger signs with Pittsburgh Steelers for 2021 NFL season

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have a "boner" for Brady. Salary facts are facts. If you're certain that Brady made tens of millions of dollars from this funneling activity (which is highly unlikely, but possible, I guess), then feel free to post some evidence of your claims. Or you can **** off, too.
hahaha, like if I could do that. I can't either post evidence of spygate because the NFL destroyed them before making them accesible to the public. I can't either post evidence of mr. Kraft getting happy endings in an illegal place but we all know it happened. Naivity is thinking that shady people like him won't do things under the table to trick the rules of the cap when he had an employee take a lot less than was common for his position while having a service provider owned by that same player.

You don't have to be Sherlock to see between the lines. And yes, I will **** off if you want to talk about Ben's decline and the chances the team has this season with him starting but if you want to compare cheating brady putting him in a pedestal next to Ben who never had problems with his contracts, with his front office (unlike a lot of QBs now by the way) or with his Olinemen despite having turnstyles like Kemo and Mahan during a period of time then I won't because that's complete bullshit.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hadn't heard about that before.

So how much did it amount to? Don't guess.

$100,000,000.00 yes, that's right.

Also the cheatriots didn't film anything for the SPYGATE incident, all made up........... no evidence to date.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just so I understand what you're saying here: There's no difference between taking "no pay" and taking $14 million dollars? There's no in-between number that would have been better in all accounts for the team?
Seriously dude, why are you being a complete douchebag to everyone on this board who doesn't agree with you? I'm assuming you are a Demonrat. So, what is your solution for next year? Tank the season? Rudolph nor Haskins are going to get us anywhere and we aren't drafting anyone worth a ****. So, what? Have Ben retire so we can start watching the **** show for the next 2 decades? I'll take another year where we still have a franchise QB and future HOFer at the helm who is playing at a high level any time.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
And I was off a bit on the dead cap for 2022. Should be $9.7M for the remaining portion of his pro-rated 12.9/4yr signing bonus. That is if he retires next year. If not, it stretches out.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Nope no nerve man, just comes across as idiotic, but I'm not the first guy to notice, and something tells me I wont be the last.

I posted a week after the season, if they called Ben in and said "hey Ben we're going a different direction, and the cap hit is just to high" that I would've been fine with that, but I'm guessing you and the "other guy" missed that posted, or just ignored that one.
It's not idiotic to have noticed that you've been Ben's #1 fan, supporter, and apologist, through the good times and bad, for years and years. Which is really no big deal, and in fact rather amusing at times.

It's great that you would have been fine with the team moving on from Ben, but let's not try and pretend that you weren't overjoyed when they brought him back.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously dude, why are you being a complete douchebag to everyone on this board who doesn't agree with you? I'm assuming you are a Demonrat. So, what is your solution for next year? Tank the season? Rudolph nor Haskins are going to get us anywhere and we aren't drafting anyone worth a ****. So, what? Have Ben retire so we can start watching the **** show for the next 2 decades? I'll take another year where we still have a franchise QB and future HOFer at the helm who is playing at a high level any time.
Seriously, dude...you forgot to answer my question: In your world, is there no difference between nothing and 14 million dollars?

A lot of people on this board like to treat anybody with a minority opinion like a complete douchebag, not the other way around. I'm one of the few who is willing to stand up to the mob and defend my position. When guys like you need to evade pertinent questions, you simply ignore them and/or start calling me names.

The best solution would have been Ben retiring and returning his pro-rated signing bonus. That would have been him truly doing everything he could have to help the team. Of course, that was unlikely. It's nice that he gave up $5 million, but Ben is on his last leg. He isn't much better than Rudolph, who actually outperformed him against Cleveland at the end of the season. Ben hasn't won a playoff game in five years, he hasn't won the Super Bowl in twelve. His "franchise QB" days exist only in your dreams at this point. He wasn't playing at a "high level" for his last six games, except for one half against the Colts and a stat-padding mop-up second half of a home playoff game in which Pittsburgh trailed the Browns by 25 points at halftime. So, no, I don't see the Steelers having any level of playoff success in 2021 either way; they are just delaying the inevitable. Very few fans want to accept this, but it is what it is. Ben had a great career, but it's over now. Well, at least the great part.

And how is it that you know the Steelers won't draft "anyone worth a ****"? This is one of the strongest QB drafts in years.

P.S. Not that it has anything to do with football, but if you must know, I'm a registered Republican. So don't assume anything.

Last edited:

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
And I was off a bit on the dead cap for 2022. Should be $9.7M for the remaining portion of his pro-rated 12.9/4yr signing bonus. That is if he retires next year. If not, it stretches out.
Here's the breakdown:

$1,075,000 in 2021 salary.
$12,925,000 in signing bonus.

That's how $14 million for 2021 is derived.

The contract is actually five years, so the signing bonus is $2,585,000 per year.
This number helps derive the reduced cap hit for 2021:

$1,075,000 (salary) +
$2,585,000 (1/5 signing bonus) +
$22,250,000 (from former contract) =

$25,910,000 cap hit this year

The remaining 4 years at $2,585,000 would result in a dead cap of $10,340,000 in 2022 if/when he retires or is cut.

So you were close, but no cigar.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously, dude...you forgot to answer my question: In your world, is there no difference between nothing and 14 million dollars?

A lot of people on this board like to treat anybody with a minority opinion like a complete douchebag, not the other way around. I'm one of the few who is willing to stand up to the mob and defend my position. When guys like you need to evade pertinent questions, you simply ignore them and/or start calling me names.

The best solution would have been Ben retiring and returning his pro-rated signing bonus. That would have been him truly doing everything he could have to help the team. Of course, that was unlikely. It's nice that he gave up $5 million, but Ben is on his last leg. He isn't much better than Rudolph, who actually outperformed him against Cleveland at the end of the season. Ben hasn't won a playoff game in five years, he hasn't won the Super Bowl in twelve. His "franchise QB" days exist only in your dreams at this point. He wasn't playing at a "high level" for his last six games, except for one half against the Colts and a stat-padding mop-up second half of a home playoff game in which Pittsburgh trailed the Browns by 25 points at halftime. So, no, I don't see the Steelers having any level of playoff success in 2021 either way; they are just delaying the inevitable. Very few fans want to accept this, but it is what it is. Ben had a great career, but it's over now. Well, at least the great part.

And how is it that you know the Steelers won't draft "anyone worth a ****"? This is one of the strongest QB drafts in years.

P.S. Not that it has anything to do with football, but if you must know, I'm a registered Republican. So don't assume anything.
Sure, he could have taken more of a cut but he's actually making less than 15 million this year now and he is spreading it over multiple years to reduce the cap hit even more than the $5 million. You are the one treating everyone like a douchebag. Therefore, you get the douchebag label. You are bitching and moaning about everyone else's opinion not the other way around. People are reacting to you being the douchebag, not for having a differing viewpoint.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
For ***** sake shut the **** up with the man-crush ****. So we get Ben as our QB and it costs 4 million more than if Ben retired and Mason was QB, I'd say that's a win.
I swear some are anxious to dive into that big canyon of looking for that next franchise qb. In the last 50 years the Steelers have had a total of 2.

Each guy next up after Ben will probably get 2-3 seasons or more to prove he isn't that guy. Which will mean lots to ***** about as the team tanks enough to get a high first round draft pick. Still doesn't mean you will find him.

I look down here at the jagoffs and they've had so many top 10,top5 first round qb busts it's eye opening. I'm sure they'll get this Trevor cat from Clemson. He's no guarantee either.

What we have is a guy proven and he's not broken yet. I hope the hell he's taking his conditioning to the next level, he could very well extend his career 3 years if he does. Need a good OL and a running game regardless.

Just ride it out. You'll get your sub.500 seasons soon enough.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
It's not idiotic to have noticed that you've been Ben's #1 fan, supporter, and apologist, through the good times and bad, for years and years. Which is really no big deal, and in fact rather amusing at times.

It's great that you would have been fine with the team moving on from Ben, but let's not try and pretend that you weren't overjoyed when they brought him back.
yeah, and so were alot of other fans, so what, what's the big deal?

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I would have rather moved on from Ben after the past season. The Steelers have so many holes to fill and so little cap space to do it that I believe that even if Ben was in peak performance this team isn't going anywhere. Might as well start cutting the dead salary weight and re-building now, rather than trying to hang on to past glory with a 39 year old QB that really showed his age last season. The entire offense is in a shambles, and I guess we'll find out if it was scheme, talent or both.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I would have rather moved on from Ben after the past season. The Steelers have so many holes to fill and so little cap space to do it that I believe that even if Ben was in peak performance this team isn't going anywhere. Might as well start cutting the dead salary weight and re-building now, rather than trying to hang on to past glory with a 39 year old QB that really showed his age last season. The entire offense is in a shambles, and I guess we'll find out if it was scheme, talent or both.

Ever think maybe the other "constant" that has been in the equasion might have a little to do with it...........SBWHCMVLT ? I'm in the boat of winning and BEN gives us that best opertunity . I'm thinking we will get to the losing soon enough as this may just be BEN's last year. No tank here.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If we have a running game that is good enough to get us back to at least 55-45 (pass to run ratio) or even closer to 50-50, we will win our share of games and make the playoffs and have a much better chance of winning in the playoffs. That is very doable with Ben at QB. Not so much with Rudolph or Haskins (who may not even make the team). I'll take that. Hell, no one gave us a chance in hell of winning 12 games last year or even really making it to the playoffs yet we did. Sure, we limped into the playoffs with a depleted D, terrible play-calling, and a QB who had injured knees and we lost. It sucked. We move on. Ben is still our best QB option by far. If COVID wouldn't have hit, the cap would have gone up and we would have signed JuJu (still probably not Dupree) and a couple decent FA's. Now, we may not have that luxury but they will still do the best they can with adding to the O line and hopefully drafting a legit starting RB. The D should be as good, if not better than the end of last year with Bush back unless we have to let Haden or another starter go for cap reasons. This team should still have a chance to compete, make the playoffs and even win in the playoffs this year if Tomlin and the coaches finally do their jobs.

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
I’m still not sure how bringing back Ben for one last year is looked at as a bad thing. If we cut or trade him we still are in for I believe a $22 million dead money hit next year. We still then are in the same area salary cap wise. Then great who do you turn to? Rudolph or Haskins? That’s a downgrade IMO even with Ben at the end of his career. Then let’s just say Jones or Trask are available will they be an upgrade over Ben and long term solution? More than likely not. The only logical thing is to make one last run at it with Ben and surround him with a focus on running the football and playing really good defense which just so happens to be what won the championship in his 2nd season.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
T
I’m still not sure how bringing back Ben for one last year is looked at as a bad thing. If we cut or trade him we still are in for I believe a $22 million dead money hit next year. We still then are in the same area salary cap wise. Then great who do you turn to? Rudolph or Haskins? That’s a downgrade IMO even with Ben at the end of his career. Then let’s just say Jones or Trask are available will they be an upgrade over Ben and long term solution? More than likely not. The only logical thing is to make one last run at it with Ben and surround him with a focus on running the football and playing really good defense which just so happens to be what won the championship in his 2nd season.
Those who want Ben out think that being average with Ben is a complete loss because we should go full tank mode and lose out to get better pics and start from scratch.

I disagree, having talented guys like Minkah and TJ Watt you have to compete all you can, maximize their years because that D will still give you 6-8 wins alone and you still won't be picking top 5 in the following draft. As previously said, add a serious running game and Ben doesn't have to be the lone hero on offense, forcing him to pass 40+ times per game

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Ever think maybe the other "constant" that has been in the equasion might have a little to do with it...........SBWHCMVLT ? I'm in the boat of winning and BEN gives us that best opertunity . I'm thinking we will get to the losing soon enough as this may just be BEN's last year. No tank here.

Salute the nation
Truth is, it doesn't matter how the Steelers ended up in this position, here they are. Resting your hopes on a guy that throws more like Uncle Ben than Big Ben these days doesn't seem like a recipe for success, especially when they can't upgrade much of anything if anything at all. I don't think they have much of a shot at a winning season this year, much less title contention. But hey, that's just me.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Truth is, it doesn't matter how the Steelers ended up in this position, here they are. Resting your hopes on a guy that throws more like Uncle Ben than Big Ben these days doesn't seem like a recipe for success, especially when they can't upgrade much of anything if anything at all. I don't think they have much of a shot at a winning season this year, much less title contention. But hey, that's just me.

So you're saying that even with BEN the chances of a winning season isn't very good. Well that gets you closer to a Tomlin fire with BEN at the helm.

Salute the nation

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm ok for a swan song year for Ben...hell he deserves the accolades that come along with that...

They'll miss the playoffs next year...and be closer to Cincy than Cleveland or Baltimore...

As long as Tomlin uses this as his opportunity to get on with his life's work also...

Nothing against Tomlin, he has been a great coach right up there with Cowher and Noll...but as with players, coaches have a "life expectancy" also in this business..

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
T

Those who want Ben out think that being average with Ben is a complete loss because we should go full tank mode and lose out to get better pics and start from scratch.

I disagree, having talented guys like Minkah and TJ Watt you have to compete all you can, maximize their years because that D will still give you 6-8 wins alone and you still won't be picking top 5 in the following draft. As previously said, add a serious running game and Ben doesn't have to be the lone hero on offense, forcing him to pass 40+ times per game
Which in itself doesn’t make sense. Having Ben gives you the better chance of competing for the Super Bowl. Not having Ben means having Rudolph start and look like a team that is slightly at or above .500 and no chance we get a top 5 draft pick. Our defense even without Dupree will still keep us in most games.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
So much is made out of Tomlin never having a losing season as a coach

Ben is coming into his 18th season in the league and has never had a losing season. Not many qbs can say that in the history of the NFL

deljzc

Reaction score
The Steelers will never "tank". It's not in their DNA. And Colbert doesn't build or sign guys thinking that long term (because tanking is a LONG TERM plan).

For good or bad (and I've complained about this forever), the foresight of this team blows. They really do not think 2-3 years down the road on roster development or money. They use up all the cap room they have, they borrow money from future cap years, they immediately plug every hole, even if it's not cost effective or smart.

Believe me, had Roethlisberger retired, Mason Rudolf would NOT be this team's QB in 2021. That is a HOLE. And Tombert would have found a way to fill it. Maybe it's Alex Smith or maybe a blockbuster trade. Maybe it's drafting a guy. Who knows.

But when Tombert sees a short term hole, they DO address it, even if that means future years books (and/or roster) look terrible and out team looks old on paper with obvious problems in 2-3 years.

That is just their M.O. Very short term thinking. And while they used to be a very frugal team with not signing older players back with Cowher, that stopped with Tomlin. We have no problem signing guys to third contracts now. No problem pushing off dead money into players early-to-mid 30's.

That's partly why this Covid adjustment to our salary cap is going to hurt so much. The SAME thing happened in 2011 when the whole CBA negotiations ****** up the 2011 cap picture. It was a disaster. Because the Steelers are always in the "immediate fixes" they are always tight against the cap. They DEPEND on that 4-5% increase every year to help save their cap picture.

This year is not going to be good. We are old and don't have depth. That's a TERRIBLE combination. Sure, the excuse of "injuries" will be available (yet again). And we'll go above .500. But it's just not a very well thought out plan at all.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Which in itself doesn’t make sense. Having Ben gives you the better chance of competing for the Super Bowl. Not having Ben means having Rudolph start and look like a team that is slightly at or above .500 and no chance we get a top 5 draft pick. Our defense even without Dupree will still keep us in most games.
It is that famous quote careful what you wish for you just may get it.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
So much is made out of Tomlin never having a losing season as a coach

Ben is coming into his 18th season in the league and has never had a losing season. Not many qbs can say that in the history of the NFL
Technically Ben was 0-2 in 2019.

And Del. If Ben was gone this year, I'd be doing everything I could to acquire Russell Wilson.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
hahaha, like if I could do that. I can't either post evidence of spygate because the NFL destroyed them before making them accesible to the public. I can't either post evidence of mr. Kraft getting happy endings in an illegal place but we all know it happened. Naivity is thinking that shady people like him won't do things under the table to trick the rules of the cap when he had an employee take a lot less than was common for his position while having a service provider owned by that same player.

You don't have to be Sherlock to see between the lines. And yes, I will **** off if you want to talk about Ben's decline and the chances the team has this season with him starting but if you want to compare cheating brady putting him in a pedestal next to Ben who never had problems with his contracts, with his front office (unlike a lot of QBs now by the way) or with his Olinemen despite having turnstyles like Kemo and Mahan during a period of time then I won't because that's complete bullshit.
Spygate and Kraft's ordeal are well-documented. You can find all sorts of information about both subjects.

I consider myself a pretty big NFL fan, and I'd never heard a thing about the Patriots funneling money to Brady through his business until it was mentioned here the other day. What I did subsequently read about it is: Both the NFL and the NFL Players Association looked into it back in 2015, and neither found any wrongdoing. Surely the NFLPA would want to protect the rest of its players if the Patriots were circumventing the cap...wouldn't they? I guess they were also naive, no Sherlock Holmes, unable to read between the lines, and of course part of some obscure conspiracy to upset Steelers fans.

Yes, Ben is in decline. I'm glad that you noticed.

Last edited:

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
$100,000,000.00 yes, that's right.

Also the cheatriots didn't film anything for the SPYGATE incident, all made up........... no evidence to date.

Salute the nation
Wow. $100 million? At $200 an hour? That's a whole lot of physical therapy.

Got a link?