• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ben in a walking boot?

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Are you kidding me, wait till Ben retires you'll wish he was still here. Tip balls aren't always Ben''s fault.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes that is true but what I'm saying is we usually ran ran ran during those years. But I don't remember people using the well he wasn't in Rhythm excuse when he threw a pick . Just that he sucked.

I really don't care how we score whether we come out slinging it or running. Be ready when your number is called

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

So you are now comparing Ben to Kordell, LMAO. Kordell never found a rhythm because he did suck. That's why nobody blamed it on rhythm.

Be ready when your number is called...you never actually played football did you? Most positions aren't at peak performance on their first plays and it takes a few plays to get comfortable.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
So you are now comparing Ben to Kordell, LMAO. Kordell never found a rhythm because he did suck. That's why nobody blamed it on rhythm.

Be ready when your number is called...you never actually played football did you? Most positions aren't at peak performance on their first plays and it takes a few plays to get comfortable.

Actually, I took it as he was comparing PEOPLE'S TREATMENT/OPINIONS of Kordell and Ben when they made mistakes rather than comparing the actual players themselves. I could be wrong.
Also, if AB is on the field on offense and Bell is on the field on offense and a play is called that focuses on them being the primary option ... their number has been called. Whether that occurs on the first play of a drive, the second, or the last. Cold, warm, hot. I don't care. They're professionals and need to be ready ... when their number is called. Of course, that's just my opinion and I wouldn't want to speak as to what Antdrew meant; just how I took what he said.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

Yeah I'm comparing the two. SMH. I'm comparing any QB who played in a run first offense. When that QB passed the ball he was expected to complete it. And for the record I'm not bashing Ben I'm bashing the notion that he threw a pick because we ran the ball(very well I might add) and he didn't throw the ball for a half hour nonsense.

nope never played a down in my life SMH. Lol

So any fuckups that occur in the first few plays of the game should be excused cause guys aren't comfortable. Hmmm ok. Tell that to the guys who think if we don't come out crushing in the first quarter on both sides of the ball that we weren't ready to play

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Actually, I took it as he was comparing PEOPLE'S TREATMENT/OPINIONS of Kordell and Ben when they made mistakes rather than comparing the actual players themselves. I could be wrong.
Also, if AB is on the field on offense and Bell is on the field on offense and a play is called that focuses on them being the primary option ... their number has been called. Whether that occurs on the first play of a drive, the second, or the last. Cold, warm, hot. I don't care. They're professionals and need to be ready ... when their number is called. Of course, that's just my opinion and I wouldn't want to speak as to what Antdrew meant; just how I took what he said.
I guess I do write well enough sometimes for people to to comprehend. That's exactly what I meant Steelbuckeye

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
In Ben's defense, yes! Sometimes it does take a few snaps to get in peak performance. Sometimes bad stretches can happen for weeks. Football is a high activity and strenuous on the body. I played a season in high school and played hockey as well. If I can attest that I've had days/weeks where I was off, I can see Ben having those days. He'll be ok. Not worried about stats or int's as long as they get the W. In recent games, Ben has overcome his int's

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If I recall, that foot fracture ****** him up before. Nothing good here at all. We need him 100% to have any chance. ******* pissed he was still in the game especially to just hand the ******* ball off. Dumb! Dumb! ******* dumb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben was really good at converting 3rd downs when we were a run first team his rookie year.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben was really good at converting 3rd downs when we were a run first team his rookie year.

He was kinda neutered under Cowher/Whisenhunt. Tomlin/Arians was too much drop backs with a swiss cheese O line. Tomlin/Haley has Ben getting rid of the ball more and allows Ben more freedom to call his stuff. The way I see it is Cowher didn't expose Ben to just letting him sling it. As Ben has gotten more comfortable within games, Tomlin loosens the leash on Ben

ark steel

Reaction score
Season Stats: 64.4 comp.%, 3,819 Yards, 29 TD, 13 INT, 95.4 QBR.

Nope, 80% of the QB in this league WISH they had that level of production. But feel free to continue bitching about QB play.

11-5, with injuries to #2-#4 WR, missing #1 RB for three weeks, starting DL playmaker out for quite a bit of the season (and the playoffs), 3 rookies starting on D for multiple games. Winning the Division to make the playoffs and, so far, a win in the playoffs.

There is, probably, more than 80% of the fans of other teams in this league WISH they had that level of success. But feel free to continue bitching about the coaching.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
He was kinda neutered under Cowher/Whisenhunt. Tomlin/Arians was too much drop backs with a swiss cheese O line. Tomlin/Haley has Ben getting rid of the ball more and allows Ben more freedom to call his stuff. The way I see it is Cowher didn't expose Ben to just letting him sling it. As Ben has gotten more comfortable within games, Tomlin loosens the leash on Ben

Ben did have his sling moments in year 2. In the playoffs, they actually rode his arm in Cinci, Indi, and Denver to get leads.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
If I recall, that foot fracture ****** him up before. Nothing good here at all. We need him 100% to have any chance. ******* pissed he was still in the game especially to just hand the ******* ball off. Dumb! Dumb! ******* dumb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember when Ben almost died because of the rib injury? How about the foot fracture from a few years ago that turned out to be a bone bruise? Ben has been known to embellish his injuries. Used to piss Cowher off, lol.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn a lot of arguing with people taking firm positions on one side or another, but I think it's a lot more nuanced than that.

Is it difficult for Ben to get into a rhythm when we have a 10 play drive of all runs and he doesn't throw a pass for 30 min? Absolutely.
Does that mean he is absolved of bone-headed decisions? No. He definitely does this from time to time.
It is absolutely possible that both of these factors are at play and causing the decline in play of our QB.

Have we won 8 games in a row despite Ben's troubling INT streak lately? We sure have,
Is it still troubling that he throws them? No doubt - we would win games even more handily without them, and we'll need him at his best vs. KC and NE.
So really, both of these points of view have merit.

Let's stop arguing with each other so much and realize that we're all bringing good points to the table here regarding Ben's play. The bottom line is that, while Le'Veon has been the straw that stirs the drink lately, Ben will always be the backbone. Regardless of what excuses we can make for him, or how we are able to overcome bad plays he makes, we all know we need him to be at his best, and healthiest. Personally, I do not think "first 3 quarters vs Baltimore" Ben is good enough to bring us ring #7. I think "4th q vs Baltimore" or "first quarter vs Miami" Ben ABSOLUTELY is, and then some. So I don't think we necessarily need 1st q Miami Ben, but we need better than "1st 3 quarters vs Baltimore" Ben, and better than "2nd half vs Miami" Ben. We need the guy who has shown up in spurts in recent weeks to play complete games vs. KC, NE, and NFC.

Last edited:

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
11-5, with injuries to #2-#4 WR, missing #1 RB for three weeks, starting DL playmaker out for quite a bit of the season (and the playoffs), 3 rookies starting on D for multiple games. Winning the Division to make the playoffs and, so far, a win in the playoffs.

There is, probably, more than 80% of the fans of other teams in this league WISH they had that level of success. But feel free to continue bitching about the coaching.
Thank you. Tomlin sucks.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Well Ben is out of the walking boot, the sky can be lifted back up.

hi

SteveA

Reaction score

There is just so much whining here about Tomlin.....THE STATS DON'T LIE...........The guy has put up the numbers.......or do we need to go to the Scoreboard again?

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben did have his sling moments in year 2. In the playoffs, they actually rode his arm in Cinci, Indi, and Denver to get leads.

You are correct and I remember that playoff run. Good times

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Pretty hard to compare Ben with Cowher to Ben with Tomlin. Ben was a true rookie starter. He was only with Conger for three years. I think he has evolved some since 2006.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife said they should take the good guys out when they had the game won.

My 9-year-old son went outside to throw the football with his buddy at the end of the third quarter, came back in about 15 minutes later, looked at the 30-6 score, and said: "They don't still have the starters in, do they?"

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I hope you Tomlin haters realize that despite all 4 games being lopsided, no coach pulled his starting qb. I guess Carroll, McCarthy, and O'Brien are idiots as well.
If Landry had come in and fumbled a snap, the same complainers would be going wild, calling Tomlin an idiot for putting him in.
What the hell are you talking about?

Seattle got the ball on their own 16 yard line, up by 13 points with almost 8 minutes left, and Detroit had all 3 timeouts left. Why would Pete Carroll pull his starting QB at that point? Houston was also only up by 2 scores with 4+ minutes left...and O'Brien did what he was supposed to do, even after a false start: They handed it off 6 straight times, had Oakland burn their 3 remaining timeouts, and they punted the ball to the Raiders' 7 with just over 2 minutes left.

And if Jones had come in and fumbled the ball, the Steelers still would have been up 18 points with around 5 minutes left in the game. So what? It still would have been the correct decision. I love the nuthuggers who say that Tomlin can't win, no matter what he decides. That's a bunch of bullshit. There's a couple of guys here who hate Tomlin unequivocally. Most of the rest of us "haters" just loathe the bad choices he makes.

No reason whatsoever Ben should have been on the field at that point of the game, let alone throwing passes. And, yes, McCarthy also put Rogers at risk with the same stupid ****. Those two quarterbacks, especially, mean WAY too much to their respective teams.

Last edited:

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Ben said on his radio show that he is not injured. He expects that he will rest during Wednesday's practice (standard operating procedure at this point in the season) but will be full go on Thursday.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Per his radio show. Just finished listening to it. Ben is fine no issues boot was precautionary, he will probably take his usual off day Wednesday and practice on Thursday. Haley called the pass play and it was a good call. Young WR ran the wrong route and if he had run it right he would of gotten it out quick and the play was there. The Porter hasn't been addressed as a team yet but vowed the focus will be on KC it's playoff time

BTW this kodi app is great able to listen to Pittsburgh radio

Steel Ballin

Reaction score
CMT just admitted it was he who made the 3rd down pass play call. Brilliant call.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score