• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are Pouncey and DeCastro Mediocre?

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers have invested a lot in this G/C combo. Are they getting the bang for their buck? I don't think so. Bell is forced to dance in the hole too often.

Compare that to the Cowboys who have Zack Martin at G and Travis Frederick at C. The cowboys are blowing open running lanes. Elliott is getting a free 4 yards on most plays before he's even touched. Most of that is because of their G/C combo.

the cowboys duo dominates. The steelers duo simply gets the job done.

I'm tired of seeing defenses be able to stuff the steelers run. The steelers rush numbers are OK but its due to the threat of the passing game which causes most teams to back off, and Bell's own skill where he is making guys miss for a 4 yard run.

I'm tired of seeing that the Ravens can neutralize Pouncey and Decastro by having a couple fat guys line up on them.

if the steelers are going to win the Super Bowl, it's not just about their young guys like Burns and Davis playing well. It's also about the steelers stars playing like stars and delivering those great plays. Guys like Shazier on defense and Pouncey and Decastro on offense.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The Cowboys have a very powerful OL, with pro bowl players at T, G and C. I hate to admit it, but Prescott looks like the real deal, and with him playing for Peanuts the Cowboys can load up elsewhere or keep their OL intact.

Pouncey is having one of his better seasons. The reason Bell is not getting holes is the receiving options have been hurting...but that is changing with Green.

Neither DD or Pouncey are power root out DT type of lineman's. They do their best work on the move. Both are over paid.

Last edited:

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
The Cowboys have a very powerful OL, with pro bowl players at T, G and C. I hate to admit it, but Prescott looks like the real deal, and with him playing for Peanuts the Cowboys can load up elsewhere or keep their OL intact.

Pouncey is having one of his better seasons. The reason Bell is not getting holes is the receiving options have been hurting...but that is changing with Green.

Neither DD or Pouncey are power root out DT type of lineman's. They do their best work on the move. Both are over paid.

thats my point is that the steelers run game depends on the defense being afraid of the pass and not the blocking. With so much invested, I don't think it's too much to ask that our highly paid interior can open holes without help.

Dallas played half the year without Dez Bryant. They were rolling out Terence Williams, Cole Beasley and Witten, coupled with a rookie QB. Every defense stacked the box to stuff the run and the cowboy OL is making holes anyway. That's what real impact players are supposed to do. Most Cowboy runs are right up the gut.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Decastro has struggled this year, but our line is built for a spread offense more so than a pound it out offense

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
They are both athletic lineman good on the move and at the 2nd level, not maulers. We're comparing apples and oranges.

Watch the Dallas linemen in space with the screen game we run and you'd see Pouncey and DeCastro school them in that facet of the game.

Are they overpaid? That's a whole other question...I personally don't like that much of the team's cap tied up on 2 interior lineman, but they are definitely better than average.

ark steel

Reaction score
The DAL yards per play is only about 0.5 yards more than the Steelers (6.17 vs. 5.77). Looking at yards per pass and yards per rush you get 7.99 vs. 6.92 and 4.78 vs 4.26. the offensive ypg is about 30 yards more for DAL.

Right at 2 min for Avg time of possession advantage for Dallas and 3.6 ppg.

The only advantage I see for the Steelers is in Sack % by about 1.5%.

While Dallas has the advantage, I don't know that the advantage is THAT great, especially, considering we were missing Bell for 4 games, a host of WR injuries and Ben for 1 game. I'm not sure what Dallas has for offensive injuries, though.

P

POP

Different schemes. They are not playing to open a single hole.

NOt to mention, Bell rarely looks to just hit a hole immediately like Elliott. If I had a dollar for every time Bell is mentioned as "the most patient back" I'd be rich.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Bell has a tendency to dance and wait instead of hitting holes. If he hit more of the holes he'd break more long runs. He had one called back on a hold and then had some late in the game. His patience will work against him when there are running lanes and he's waiting. Pouncey and DeCastro are studs. DD killed a guy pulling to his left in the 3rd quarter.

DocScott

Contributor
Reaction score
Pouncey will be in selected to another Pro Bowl this year, just watch. DeCastro is above serviceable in the league. Both are keepers, I'm OK with our O line at this point! Go Steelers!!!!

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
For those of you who are interested, and there is rightfully a sizeable group, Pro Football Focus sung high praises for two Pittsburgh Steelers yesterday. Maurkice Pouncey and James Harrison finished in the top ten of individual performance, per the website’s grades.

Pouncey came in fourth with Harrison in sixth place.

On Pouncey, PFF said in part.

“That this was by far the best game of Maurkice Pouncey’s season is one thing, but to do it against the formidable defensive front of the New York Giants is another thing entirely.”

They also wrote Pouncey did not allow a pressure while the Steelers were able to get their run game going late, letting Le’Veon Bell have another 100+ yard rushing day. The Steelers’ offensive line has given up just two sacks over the past three weeks. That’s only the third time that’s happened over the past three seasons.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/12/pair-steelers-make-pffs-top-ten-list/

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
DeCastro is well above average. I don't have a problem with him. Pouncey is very good when healthy but he misses 25% of games or more and when he's out there doesn't seem to be much of a drop-off. "Next man up" seems to apply best to the C position.

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
like Pouncey, but we could have better. He's good, not great.

But, he is a gamer...busts his ******* *** to help this team.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Pouncey killed it yesterday. DDC still playing above the bar...just not as dominant as last year. Still time to get better.

Steelerfreak

Reaction score
Honestly, I think they get more credit than they earn. I dont think most people know the difference between the good and the great lineman. One person says it, and every talking head runs with it every week. Yes, they are both good, Really I think they are good as long as they are healthy.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
When you see 53 and 66 down field blocking on plays you know those two are the main dogs on the line. I seem to always spot them upfield blocking on long plays. This ain't the old OL we used to ***** about Ben getting killed with. This OL keeps Ben upright and we've got a RB who can put 100 yards up every week. I'm not sure what else we can ask of them. Problem with the OL is there are many on this board who feel like we shouldn't be paying huge contracts out at those positions. Ultimately when you have a franchise QB you have a responsibility to take the best care of him as possible so he doesn't get beat to **** every week. Go see Andrew Luck this year if you want to see what that looks like.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Bell has a tendency to dance and wait instead of hitting holes. If he hit more of the holes he'd break more long runs. He had one called back on a hold and then had some late in the game. His patience will work against him when there are running lanes and he's waiting. Pouncey and DeCastro are studs. DD killed a guy pulling to his left in the 3rd quarter.

That patience is what makes Bell special though. Idk, Bell is just a chain mover.
Gotta give credit to the guys up front. DeCastro and Pouncey are just fine where they are at the moment

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
DeCastro is having a down year, but there is room there for Bell, he just likes to take his time and pick his spots. Sometimes it works for big chunks of yards, other times he gets stuffed at the line. It is what it is.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Still not hearing a bunch of praise. More like people saying how they get the job done. Is that what you pay big money for?

4th and goal from the 2. Run behind Pouncey and Decastro. How confident are you that's a TD? You would think the steelers would run the ball on their many many 2 point conversion attempts. It should be easy pickins with 2 studs up there right?

I get it that they are zone blocking and not doing power like the Cowboys but that's kind of the point. Zone blocking is meant to mask weaknesses in the OL. Is the big investment warranted. Can they get similar results from cheaper guys?

Steel Ballin

Reaction score
I agree. I haven't been impressed with either from the get go.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the original poster is trying to compare the two to a mold they don't fit. Definately NOT world beaters but pretty good at what they are being asked to do. How many cryboy OL do you see down field block 20+ yards??? Or even 10+ for that matter???? I do thin k over paid but that is for someone else to determine other than me.

Salute the nation