• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

After Bell/Brown contracts....Steelers with $24.3M of Cap

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Lock Tuitt and Villanueva up.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I want The Army Ranger &Deebo back! Maybe hire some guys to hack the pats**** **** and fight fire with fire. If you can't beat them cheat them back.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No sure how were just gonna fix our defense but the Steelers along with every other team would love to know how to stop them. They only averaged almost 40 pts per game.

you stop them by taking a couple 15 yd roughing the passer penalties early. smack Brady's ***** *** around early, and he is not the same QB the rest of the game.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Cockrell can't cover quick WR's one on one, Burns and Davis absolutely. Yeah we are going to draft a guy, but it's rare for a draft pick at CB to step right in and produce is it not? Burns did well but that's the exception. Hell we had so little faith in or DBs we had Harrison and Timmons trying to cover their WR's across the middle.

Spike

Reaction score
Cheap back-up RB anyone?

Chiefs to cut Jamaal Charles

The Chiefs have decided to release running back Jamaal Charles, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Charles will hit free agency and can land somewhere, but he’s probably only going to get paid like a backup.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

kev4heels

Reaction score
Cheap back-up RB anyone?

Chiefs to cut Jamaal Charles

The Chiefs have decided to release running back Jamaal Charles, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Charles will hit free agency and can land somewhere, but he’s probably only going to get paid like a backup.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Couple that with the Vikes not picking up Peterson's option and LB's price just went down.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Couple that with the Vikes not picking up Peterson's option and LB's price just went down.

two nearing the end RBs, I doubt either of them impact market value for LB.

deljzc

Reaction score
Just remember that the $25 million left in salary cap room has to fill the following:

Left Tackle Villanueva (1083 snap count)
Backup RB and FB DeAngelo Williams and David Johnson (529 snap count)
Cornerback Cockrell (1025 snap count)
ILB Timmons (950 snap count)
OLB Harrison & Jones (1061 snap count)

Now I think we are in great shape to do that but I don't want people to get the impression we just have money coming out of our *** either. Some of that cap room might also be given as raises as part of new deals for Shazier and/or Tuitt.

How can we improve those snap counts without depending TOO much on a rookie to do it and do it cost efficiently?

I think it is clear we are going to re-sign Villanueva and he should take care of his snaps again. We are also likely to resign Harrison to pitch in 30-40% of the OLB snaps. We could re-sign Timmons or turn his snaps over the Vince Williams. Not sure that's an improvement that makes us better unless that money went elsewhere.

That brings us to Cockrell and his 1000+ snap counts in the secondary. We could hope Golson finally pitches in but that might be asking too much.

We also need a backup RB to pitch in 200 snaps to keep Bell fresh through a whole season.

When you look at snap counts you really see exactly where we are headed with who we are going to bring from outside the building. To really improve the active 45-man roster on game days we are going to need OLB, CB, ILB, backup RB. All the other moves are really improvements in backups that are contingencies to injuries (which can be just as important but not a huge need and hard to predict).

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
If they don't come to a contract with Villanueva he would count for very little as an ERFA..**** is also an ERFA. I doubt they look at DJ until after the draft. Even so it would be a one year minimum contract. Timmons and Harrison would eat some cap room. No way Jones returns.

#1steelerfan2

Reaction score
Keep Timmons and Harrison they bring a positive results in the rb and pr we should bring Polamalu back for a season or two to help in the secondary that was the mistake

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Steeler Nation mobile app

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
We have enough room to take care of whoever we want on the roster, and still sign one top tier FA. Will they do it? Probably not, but it would have to be the right CB or OLB.

chipped ham

Reaction score
We have enough room to take care of whoever we want on the roster, and still sign one top tier FA. Will they do it? Probably not, but it would have to be the right CB or OLB.

With words of Julius Peppers and Demarcus Ware hitting the market, think either of those two would be worth a one year deal and split time with silverback on the side opposite of Dupree? Peppers was good for 8 sacks last year, and Harrison is good for 5. Let's take 11-13 outta those two, and get 10+ from Dupree, and I think we'd be cooking. That's not including the 6-8 that both iron head and Tuitt are good for apiece.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
With words of Julius Peppers and Demarcus Ware hitting the market, think either of those two would be worth a one year deal and split time with silverback on the side opposite of Dupree? Peppers was good for 8 sacks last year, and Harrison is good for 5. Let's take 11-13 outta those two, and get 10+ from Dupree, and I think we'd be cooking. That's not including the 6-8 that both iron head and Tuitt are good for apiece.

If the price is right, this is a move I can see the Steelers doing while their 1st or 2nd round EDGE pick is getting up to speed.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

If the price is right, this is a move I can see the Steelers doing while their 1st or 2nd round EDGE pick is getting up to speed.

I like that plan

Spike

Reaction score

Screw that - go ALL OFFENSE at the top of the draft - this pathetic defense is nothing more than a speed bump - don't waste any top picks trying to fix the unfixable

We need another TRUE #1 WR, a TRUE #1 TE first before any D patches

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Screw that - go ALL OFFENSE at the top of the draft - this pathetic defense is nothing more than a speed bump - don't waste any top picks trying to fix the unfixable

We need another TRUE #1 WR, a TRUE #1 TE first before any D patches

If the right players are on the board and the Steelers take BPA, this could happen. If they go TE in Rd 1 or 2, I would think Green would be getting cut.

chipped ham

Reaction score
I like that plan

Peppers is 37, but still can produce at quite a large clip. He had 25 sacks the last three years in Green Bay. He's been to one super bowl, which was a loss. Let's see if he'll take a 1-2 year deal, to play in a 50/50 role with Harrison. Dude has made his money, so perhaps he'd be willing to take a little less to come in and contribute on a team ready to, in the words of Bum Phillips, "blow that ******* door down."

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Peppers is 37, but still can produce at quite a large clip. He had 25 sacks the last three years in Green Bay. He's been to one super bowl, which was a loss. Let's see if he'll take a 1-2 year deal, to play in a 50/50 role with Harrison. Dude has made his money, so perhaps he'd be willing to take a little less to come in and contribute on a team ready to, in the words of Bum Phillips, "blow that ******* door down."

yeap, if he could be signed for about 6M one year contract it would be a great pickup.

What would SN prefer?
Moats (2M cap savings if cut) + Timmons (probably 4-5M/Y to be signed)
or...
Vince Williams + Peppers (6 - 7M/Y contract)

you improve pass rush at ILB cost, but the downgrade at ILB with Vince isn't as big as the upgrade with Peppers, so I prefer the second one especially if the FO is targeting an Edge player early in the draft

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
CB Amukamara is in the FA market, he's 28 and might be signed for 6 - 7M per season, should we be interested?

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
The Steelers never do much worth writing home about in free agency. The last guy they purchased was damaged goods from the get go. They better do a serious health inquiry this time around. I'd spend coin on a corner or safety if anything at all.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers never do much worth writing home about in free agency. The last guy they purchased was damaged goods from the get go. They better do a serious health inquiry this time around. I'd spend coin on a corner or safety if anything at all.

DeAngelo Williams did pan out, I wouldn't mind a cheap vet in a critical position