• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

After Bell/Brown contracts....Steelers with $24.3M of Cap

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
Over the Cap has accounted for Bell and Browns contracts....the Steelers are sitting with $24.3M remaining but you have to account for the rookie pool. Definitely need to get Villa on contract and I would not be giving Timmons over $4.5M...do they offer Harrison a contract since you have no OLB? That should leave enough to get a top shelf FA if the Steelers want to grab one. Calais Campbell on the DL or A.J. Bouye/Stephon Gilmour at CB maybe?

steelhurt

Reaction score
We will continue to take care of our own first and that's the right formula imo. After that, they will most likely dip into F/A but not for any of the top tier guys. That's just not what they do. I would expect a F/A signing for defensive line depth especially if they lose Ricardo Matthews. Possibly depth at ILB and safety but only depth. I'd be shocked if they tried to sign Nick Perry since that's not their way of doing things. I think they will address OLB, CB, TE, WR in the first four rounds of draft especially in light of the extra 3'rd now.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We are not going to get a "top shelf" FA. We never do. We will look for a 2nd or 3rd tier FA or two if any decent ones are available.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
We are not going to get a "top shelf" FA. We never do. We will look for a 2nd or 3rd tier FA or two if any decent ones are available.

While I agree with you, we've also never had this much cap room, nor have we been in the final three seasons of our hall of fame QB.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
While I agree with you, we've also never had this much cap room, nor have we been in the final three seasons of our hall of fame QB.

True but I'd still be shocked if we did anything out of the norm. I can see bringing in a few vets for depth and to push the young guys on D but that's about it.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
True but I'd still be shocked if we did anything out of the norm. I can see bringing in a few vets for depth and to push the young guys on D but that's about it.
Agreed. We need to re-sign Tuitt and Shazier also. Plus they're working on a deal for Villanueva.

When we get Bell a real contract I expect his cap number will be reduced.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Steeler Nation mobile app

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
Agreed. We need to re-sign Tuitt and Shazier also. Plus they're working on a deal for Villanueva.

The Steelers don't necessarily have to address Tuitt and Shazier this year....next year the Steelers have $57M of cap space and that's accounting for Browns heavy increase.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers don't necessarily have to address Tuitt and Shazier this year....next year the Steelers have $57M of cap space and that's accounting for Browns heavy increase.
Oh okay, great. I hadn't seen any early numbers yet for next season. It's nice to not be in the negative anymore.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

after re-signing Shazier and Tuitt the team might still have about 15M, 5 more M go for the rookie class and that's 10M to bring back Timmons, sign our RFA and try to get a decent CB.

I think Moats (2,25M in cap savings) and Harris (1.9M in cap savings) get cut. The dead money of both together is about 1M and they can be replaced with player already in the roster: Chickillo and Hubbard (RFA) and or Hawkins

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

you can get a better deal if you give both a new contract while in their rookie one than waiting for them to have one more year of experience and exposure. They could have the FO by the balls if they wait to see their value in FA next offseason.

The deals can be constructed as Brown's to be minimal cap hit this season

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Why the hell do we want to waste money on our own? Brown yeah, he's arguably the best at his position, but why bring back the same lame *** the defense that can't play vs NE? You almost have to go sign a cover corner or legit pass rusher.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Why the hell do we want to waste money on our own? Brown yeah, he's arguably the best at his position, but why bring back the same lame *** the defense that can't play vs NE? You almost have to go sign a cover corner or legit pass rusher.

you mean lame-*** tuitt and shazier? Seriously?

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
you mean lame-*** tuitt and shazier? Seriously?
Are either of those two a pass rusher or cover corner? No, that's what I'm talking about, of course you sign those two, but to come back next year with the exact same D would be stupid.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Are either of those two a pass rusher or cover corner? No, that's what I'm talking about, of course you sign those two, but to come back next year with the exact same D would be stupid.

agree, that's why I said they might cut Moats as his production could be replaced by chickillo.
Now Cockrell is a RFA and keeping him would be cheaper than looking for someone as decent as him in FA. If we bring a slot CB and draft a 2nd rounder, for the end of the season Cockrell might be our 4th CB and that's nice depth

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score

Yeah the same defense that won 9 straight games lol. New England owned our defense in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2015, 2016, etc.. those defenses included Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, James Farrior, Deshea Townsend, Chris Hope, Troy Polamalu, Joey Porter, and everyone from the last two seasons. Lots of all pros in there. No sure how were just gonna fix our defense but the Steelers along with every other team would love to know how to stop them. They only averaged almost 40 pts per game.

kev4heels

Reaction score
Shazier will have his option picked up, but no contract. He will get his money next year for sure.
Tuitt and Villy will be signed IMO.
I am guessing Timmons gets around 4.5 mil to stay. Also have to tender a couple guys to include Cockrell.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So, we cut them and go sign a cover corner. He can cover everyone and rush the passer and stop the run. While we're at it, we don't really need Heyward. A cover corner will solve everything.

You have to sign your best players and Shazier and Tuitt are tops on D with Heyward. Chances are we bring in a CB for depth and draft another in the first 3 rounds and hope Golson can actually get on the field this year. I doubt we do much more than that.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Well if we play one of those 9 teams in the AFC title game, then great.
If you know zone defense doesn't work against a team you're most likely going to have to beat, and you don't think your guys can play man, well don't you go out and get guys that can?
Houston, Denver, Atlanta, Seattle have shown how to be competitive with them, and is not by playing zone defense.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
The pass D improved.

Now they need to upgrade a OLB and a CB

possibly even two CBs.

**** can stabilize but a upgrade is needed.

In reality though the Steelers pass rush is the weakest area now of the team.

I strongly want two pass rushers drafted high, perhaps throw in a WR or a TE to add to Ben's arsenal.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
You guys go so extreme, where did I say not to sign Tuitt, Shazier, or keep Heyward??? So you guys all think it's smart to come back with basically the same secondary?

ark steel

Reaction score
You guys go so extreme, where did I say not to sign Tuitt, Shazier, or keep Heyward??? So you guys all think it's smart to come back with basically the same secondary?

Cockrell, Davis and Burns have year more experience than they did last year. Any reason to think they haven't learned anything or won't be better? Mitchell played better when he had Davis with him back there and was more confident in Davis' ability.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score

They're going to draft a corner Tom. Please tell me which free agent they can sign to play man? They weren't comfortable with Gay in man coverage. Nothing they could do

Spike

Reaction score

i'm with you on this Tom, same ol same ol doesn't get us any better...we need those upgrades badly..FA is the only way to get a proven starter

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
i'm with you on this Tom, same ol same ol doesn't get us any better...we need those upgrades badly..FA is the only way to get a proven starter

how many "proven starters" get their big FA checks and turn to ****....

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
The Steelers have to sign a CB and have to take another CB in the first or second round of this draft. Of course, the pass rush needs to be addressed but maybe that can be mitigated with a healthy Heyward return and see if Bud Dupree has another level in him.

Everyone knows the Steelers will NEVER beat a Tom Brady led Pats team without some level of DL push and tight coverage. Anything less than players that fix that issue will mean another loss. The Steelers have a little change in their pocket to make this move. Big Ben is not going to be here 5 years from now.