• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

A pass rusher to watch for the 2017 draft.

Steelmann

Reaction score
The Steelers scout WR's extremely well and Ben makes them a lot better. I'm all right waiting until round three until picking one.

Round one - Edge The biggest need.
Round two - DT /DL. With the amount of 4 man lines we play, this is a need
Round 3 -WR

What a difference a day makes.......
It seems the last 4 years we have all wanted,cb or S in rounds 1,2,3,4....... lol
Too bad a certain edge rushing lb never panned out

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Coach thinks we line up with 4 defensive linemen on the field at the same time. Hahahaha. More great analysis from the guy who doesn't actually watch the games...

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
What a difference a day makes.......
It seems the last 4 years we have all wanted,cb or S in rounds 1,2,3,4....... lol
Too bad a certain edge rushing lb never panned out

We all knew JJ was a bad pick, and I hated the Golson pick too. But this year, Colbert seems to have got it right scooping up Cockrell for nothing and drafting Burns. However Gay will soon need to be replaced, so I would not ignore the CB spot.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Coach thinks we line up with 4 defensive linemen on the field at the same time. Hahahaha. More great analysis from the guy who doesn't actually watch the games...

Al, you're a big fat moron. First off, can you quote me correctly? I said

With the amount of 4 man lines we play, this is a need

We line up 4 DL players most of the time. Over 50% of the Defensive Snaps. Now pipe down or I'll start my mock draft process early and please do pay attention during the games. :smile:

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Al, you're a big fat moron. First off, can you quote me correctly? I said

We line up 4 DL players most of the time. Over 50% of the Defensive Snaps. Now pipe down or I'll start my mock draft process early and please do pay attention during the games. :smile:

Coach, the only time we play 4 defensive linemen at the same time is goal line defense. In our nickel defense (over 50%, more like 2/3rds of the time) we use two defensive linemen (we do use our OLBs up on the LOS...but we're talking about James Harrison and Bud Dupree, not defensive linemen).

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers scout WR's extremely well and Ben makes them a lot better. I'm all right waiting until round three until picking one.

Round one - Edge The biggest need.
Round two - DT /DL. With the amount of 4 man lines we play, this is a need
Round 3 -WR

I pretty much agree with this. Steelers found Brown in round 6, Wheaton in round 3, Sanders in round 3, etc.

Upgrading the pass rush is a MUST, and rookies are frequently contributors as pass rushers.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Coach, the only time we play 4 defensive linemen at the same time is goal line defense. In our nickel defense (over 50%, more like 2/3rds of the time) we use two defensive linemen (we do use our OLBs up on the LOS...but we're talking about James Harrison and Bud Dupree, not defensive linemen).

I was talking about a 4 man line.
With the amount of 4 man lines we play, this is a need
And Watt and many of the player slisted are OLB's in our system anyway.

With Jones likely departing and Harrison very old, we need to add more players. Yeah, Dupree and Harrison are part of that 4 man line who often play like ends.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
We all knew JJ was a bad pick, and I hated the Golson pick too. But this year, Colbert seems to have got it right scooping up Cockrell for nothing and drafting Burns. However Gay will soon need to be replaced, so I would not ignore the CB spot.

A lot depends on the Justin Gilbert trade. They have seen a year of him now and if they think he can be a nickel CB I doubt they take one or if they do very late. If Gilbert hasn't looked impressive I could see a mid round pick at CB.

I would say OLB biggest need. ILB second. Backup RB (assuming Bell inks) third. This could be #1 if he doesn't or we don't tag Bell. Then Tight End. Backup QB. Then S or CB.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
A lot depends on the Justin Gilbert trade. They have seen a year of him now and if they think he can be a nickel CB I doubt they take one or if they do very late. If Gilbert hasn't looked impressive I could see a mid round pick at CB.

I would say OLB biggest need. ILB second. Backup RB (assuming Bell inks) third. This could be #1 if he doesn't or we don't tag Bell. Then Tight End. Backup QB. Then S or CB.

Tomlin doesn't seem to trust Gilbert. Maybe a full camp is needed to show what he can and can not do at corner. I think we can get one more quality year out of Gay. But he's the lone man on the team that can do the job well as a the slot corner this season.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Tomlin doesn't seem to trust Gilbert. Maybe a full camp is needed to show what he can and can not do at corner. I think we can get one more quality year out of Gay. But he's the lone man on the team that can do the job well as a the slot corner this season.

And I am not willing to throw Golson out completely. He has had the case of the injury bug but they thought enough of him to not IR him and try to stash him on the 53 man while his foot healed. I still am hanging on to a thread of hope he can at least come in and be a dime defender. Gilbert is the question. He also has Cockrell, Burns and Gay in front of him. Burns even though is a rookie had a camp to learn the defense and he didn't start to mid season. Gilbert had some packages he was going to get to be part of the defense then got hurt. I feel the Steelers tender Cockrell and then ride out who is on the team now to push each other and to make Cockrell earn his long term deal. Since we probably lose Shark I would actually prefer a safety who can push Dangerfield and maybe be the heir apparent to Mitchell.