• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

A pass rusher to watch for the 2017 draft.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
How does a big ten battle tested and productive OLB sound who's related to an NFL defensive player of the year?

Enter T. J. Watt.

2016 stats: 63 tackles, 15.5 tackles for a loss, 11.5 sacks, 1 interception, 4 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles

Okay, I'm intrigued as he declared for the NFL draft. In fact the 2017 draft is stacked with edge rusher types, which looks to be our primary need.

Top underclassmen coming out:

Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
Charles Harris, DE, Missouri
Carl Lawson, DE, Auburn
Garrett Sickels, DE, Penn State
Solomon Thomas, DL, Stanford
T.J. Watt, OLB, Wisconsin

Top Seniors:

Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
DeMarcus Walker, DE, Florida State
Dawuane Smoot, DE, Illinois
Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M
Josh Carraway, DE, TCU
Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama
Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA
Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alabama
Jordan Willis, OLB, Kansas State
Devonte Fields, OLB, Louisville
Vince Biegel, OLB, Wisconsin

scstillerfan

Reaction score
I think this is the year the Steelers trade up and pick one of them, assuming they can find a willing partner.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
finally a good thread from Coach, hats off

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Every time I watched Wisconsin play, Biegal was making big plays.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Watt is listed as 6-5", 243 pounds. That's a big frame, what I don't like is only one year of playtime

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Where do they project Watt going? I'm not a big fan of drafting younger brothers. not saying it never works Carr in Oakland is certainly better than his brother. I just think there is sometimes a hype because of a name. Always ask, would I draft this guy if his name was Wyatt instead of Watt. And if the truth is yes, go for it.

Max Power

Forefather
Reaction score
How big is his head? Never got to see T.J. play high school ball but was living there in Pewaukee when J.J. was.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Poor Chickillo. kicked to the curb for a younger model.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Watt is listed as 6-5", 243 pounds. That's a big frame, what I don't like is only one year of playtime

solid production in that one year, and you can't deny the bloodline.

I would be fine with him or Barnett.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

He played 8 games in 2015, and 14 games in 2016.

What I like is production in what was the best conference in college football in 2016.

We'll see how he works out, but my guess is Watt is a later first round pick to second round type of guy. This year is loaded with pass rushers,

With Harrison possibly retiring, Jones likely not asked back and Chickillo nothing but average with his chances given, picking an edge player makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

What I like is production in what was the best conference in college football in 2016.

I was digging into the draft the other day, taking a closer look. Bowl performances etc.

I also think besides pass rusher if the Steelers want to dip back into the WR pool for a no. 2 WR. There is a few options that are pretty attractive.

I would be ok with snagging one in 2.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Where do they project Watt going? I'm not a big fan of drafting younger brothers. not saying it never works Carr in Oakland is certainly better than his brother. I just think there is sometimes a hype because of a name. Always ask, would I draft this guy if his name was Wyatt instead of Watt. And if the truth is yes, go for it.

Younger brothers. Howie Long son Chris Long was the 2nd pick in the NFL draft and had a decent career. His younger son ( Forget his name ) an offensive lineman went to the Bears in round one a few years later and made the pro bowl as a rookie.

I was actually for trading up to get JJ Watt years back.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Younger brothers. Howie Long son Chris Long was the 2nd pick in the NFL draft and had a decent career. His younger son ( Forget his name ) an offensive lineman went to the Bears in round one a few years later and made the pro bowl as a rookie.

I was actually for trading up to get JJ Watt years back.

JJ Watt was drafted 11th overall. That means in order to get him, we would have had to have moved up at least 21 spots in the draft (into the top 10). I'm not a draft guru and don't pretend to be one, but I'm quite sure that such a move would have cost us at least our #1 and #2 on a value chart ... Heyward and Gilbert were our #1 & #2 draft selections that year. One is our defensive Captain and the other has helped solidify the offensive line.

Lloyds legend

Contributor
Reaction score
I think this is the year the Steelers trade up and pick one of them, assuming they can find a willing partner.

As deep as this draft is I don't think we'd need to trade up. I do believe this is what we should be after.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Any chance Tim Williams falls? He's a sure fire 1st round right?

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
Best Conference?

We'll see how he works out, but my guess is Watt is a later first round pick to second round type of guy. This year is loaded with pass rushers,

With Harrison possibly retiring, Jones likely not asked back and Chickillo nothing but average with his chances given, picking an edge player makes a lot of sense.

I don't know about the Big 10 being the "best conference". With a 3 - 7 record in bowl play, including a shut out of the highest ranked Bowl team, I'm not buying it. I think TJ may still be solid, though.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know about the Big 10 being the "best conference". With a 3 - 7 record in bowl play, including a shut out of the highest ranked Bowl team, I'm not buying it. I think TJ may still be solid, though.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhmm *insert eye roll smiley*

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
solid production in that one year, and you can't deny the bloodline.

I would be fine with him or Barnett.

yeah, more than solid

well he did jackshit in those 8 games of 2015, he probably saw only a little spot duty

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll trust the front office to do their diligence and not pick on name recognition.

Clay Matthews > Casey Matthews for example.

ianv2012

Reaction score
So far of the tape that I've seen on Draft Breakdown, I came away most impressed with Taco Charlton (not a huge fan of his name) outside of Myles Garrett, but granted I have yet to watch Derek Barnett on tape. It sounds as if Barnett may be going higher though with Tim Williams and Garrett, so a guy like Charlton would be in our range.

I thought Charlton showed a solid all around game, as he was usually sound in his run gaps and edge setting, but displays the strength and speed necessary to rush the passer with a multiple pass rush moves which most kids have to learn coming out.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/taco-charlton/

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I was digging into the draft the other day, taking a closer look. Bowl performances etc.

I also think besides pass rusher if the Steelers want to dip back into the WR pool for a no. 2 WR. There is a few options that are pretty attractive.

I would be ok with snagging one in 2.

The Steelers scout WR's extremely well and Ben makes them a lot better. I'm all right waiting until round three until picking one.

Round one - Edge The biggest need.
Round two - DT /DL. With the amount of 4 man lines we play, this is a need
Round 3 -WR

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I'll trust the front office to do their diligence and not pick on name recognition.

Clay Matthews > Casey Matthews for example.

Well, when both brothers are first round picks or high picks, it's pretty much 50/50. Casey was a journeyman type.

If you want brothers Bruce ( Oilers ) might have been better than his brother Clay ( Browns LB ).

I'm a believer in bloodlines from football families. Those guys tend to pan out. It's highly unlikely JT Watt will be as great as his brother, but he could be a very good player on his own merit.

Last edited:

FordFairLane

Reaction score
How does a big ten battle tested and productive OLB sound who's related to an NFL defensive player of the year?

Enter T. J. Watt.

2016 stats: 63 tackles, 15.5 tackles for a loss, 11.5 sacks, 1 interception, 4 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles

Okay, I'm intrigued as he declared for the NFL draft. In fact the 2017 draft is stacked with edge rusher types, which looks to be our primary need.

Top underclassmen coming out:

Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
Charles Harris, DE, Missouri
Carl Lawson, DE, Auburn
Garrett Sickels, DE, Penn State
Solomon Thomas, DL, Stanford
T.J. Watt, OLB, Wisconsin

Top Seniors:

Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
DeMarcus Walker, DE, Florida State
Dawuane Smoot, DE, Illinois
Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M
Josh Carraway, DE, TCU
Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama
Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA
Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alabama
Jordan Willis, OLB, Kansas State
Devonte Fields, OLB, Louisville
Vince Biegel, OLB, Wisconsin

I also like Harold Landry. Not in the first or anything but if we don't have a premier pass rusher fall in the draft I would be ok taking a guy like him in round two. Same with Watt. I have a feeling a lot of pass rushers go off the board before we even sniff our pick.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Can he be an elite pass rusher in the NFL? That's what I care about, not stats or bloodlines.

I could see us trading up for a pass rusher because - looking into 2017 - we don't have a lot of holes in the starting lineup. But I see us going RB on offense before WR. I don't think we'll bring DeAngelo back.