• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2018-19 Penguins and NHL Offseason

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
That 1st period had a couple quality shots on goal.
#56 had some good front net presence and ripped off a one knee shot.

Rust came out strong.
You can tell the crisp passing from the NHL guys and better awareness.

Both teams minor league guys have their backs turned a lot lol.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
0-0 end of the First. Shots 12-12. They skated up...They skated back, Kinda of relaxing.

Reactions: MTC

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
It was a skating flow period.

LOL !

Nice to see Haggerty pick up a goal. Addison did a nice job controlling the puck and making a great pass, Addison needs to fill out physically but I think he has a bright future,

Jarry coughed a fat rebound and it's 2-2.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Can't complain about the goaltending. Both Jarry and DeSmith were pummeled and held up pretty well.

What is really apparent is that beyond core we have at the NHL level. The cupboard is pretty bare. No one flashed and this is the time for some of the WBS to see a little spotlight. This is what happens when you deal off your top pick every year. A couple more preseason games to go. I hope some of these young guys step up.

I do like Addison. Once he grows out his frame. I think he will be a solid offensive defenseman. He keeps his head up, can make a solid pass and can carry the puck. Early thoughts for sure, but he looks the part.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the talent is there in the farm clubs. My only concern as far as the eye test is their lack of decision making.
The guys who are current NHLers looked to be making lightning quick decisions with the puck.

The AHLers look more hesitant and do not read/react as quickly.
Once they get the in game reads down, the Pens will be fine.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Pens win 7-3.

Crosby's line was a little quiet tonight, but played well defensively.
Cullen paired with Hornqvist, Aston-Reese. They got a couple goals. A line that's not afraid to get gritty

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Riikola coming on strong is creating a dilemma. If you keep him on the big club, it's keep 8 D. You aren't going to expose Ruh to waivers. Although he is only serviceable there are worse out there. He will get claimed. Some of the pundits are saying move Olesiak, Doubt that since JR was beyond excited to get him. I think Riikola will start the season in WBS. Riikola is in the lineup today and we get another look.

Cullen- Nice to have a leader back. His enthusiasm to play the game is infectious. Depth at center is ridiculous.

Brassard is back on the ice today. Injury last year, sickness to start this year. If they are still planning to try him at wing. You think we might get a look today.

Sully makes a difference. I get pissed with his constant line mixing but his impact from the bench cannot be mistaken. Glad he's back.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Last night was a fun game to watch with nothing on the line. Brassard getting a couple of clean goals is hopefully a sign of good things to come. Goaltending and the D in general are still big questions marks. It did get a little chippy for a preseason game. ZAR was in the mix and all I could think of was "don't take a punch" glad he thought better of it.

I'm excited to see the season get started, LET'S GO PENS ! ! !

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Last night was a fun game to watch with nothing on the line. Brassard getting a couple of clean goals is hopefully a sign of good things to come. Goaltending and the D in general are still big questions marks. It did get a little chippy for a preseason game. ZAR was in the mix and all I could think of was "don't take a punch" glad he thought better of it.

I'm excited to see the season get started, LET'S GO PENS ! ! !
Teams usually play very little defense last game. So it's good for the Pens to find their scoring mojo.
I think this game will spark the Pens for the regular season.

We definitely need the top line guys to feel it scoring wise.
Bring on the craps Thursday. I have a feeling the Pens come out blazing

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Teams usually play very little defense last game. So it's good for the Pens to find their scoring mojo.

I really like where we are at this point. If Sprong contributes consistently the offense will be even better than last year. My only real concern is will Murray. His glove continues to be suspect.

The Pens are rested and out of excuses. Let's get this party started !

Uncle Ben

Reaction score

I really like where we are at this point. If Sprong contributes consistently the offense will be even better than last year. My only real concern is with Murray. His glove continues to be suspect.

Last edited:

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I really like where we are at this point. If Sprong contributes consistently the offense will be even better than last year. My only real concern is will Murray. His glove continues to be suspect.

you can say that again.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
H
“I don’t want to be a guy who wins three Cups and stops playing, just be a nice guy,” Malkin said. “I want to be a good player, next five years, next six years. I want to try my best and try to dominate every game. I want to be like a leader should be, a top center in this league the next five, six years for sure.”

His English is getting better. Remember this one....

Geno...."I am score".

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
ZAR and Trotman back to WBS. Riikola is up with the big boys !

Looking forward to Thursday. Caps likely won't have Wilson as he did it again...... *******

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Hit on our own Oskar Sundqvist too. Hope someone isn't afraid to take a run at Wilson.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Hit on our own Oskar Sundqvist too. Hope someone isn't afraid to take a run at Wilson.

Wilson's hearing is tomorrow. Time for the NHL to send a message. I thought the hit was classic Wilson. Line them up and lunge. I'm all for physical hockey but the line has to be drawn at the intent to injure or in this case decapitate.

I'm going to opening night and was looking forward to see him run from Olesiak all night.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Wilson's hearing is tomorrow. Time for the NHL to send a message. I thought the hit was classic Wilson. Line them up and lunge. I'm all for physical hockey but the line has to be drawn at the intent to injure or in this case decapitate.

I'm going to opening night and was looking forward to see him run from Olesiak all night.

I think Wilson gets suspended.

But of course the hit did look more shoulder leading.
Sundqvist had his head down going middle of the ice which may work in Wilson's favor. But again, it's plain as daylight what Wilson's intent was. I cannot stand the guy. He's villian #1 amongst pretty much every fanbase now.

I know VGK, Tampa and the isles fanbases cannot stand the guy.
The kings fanbase hates him too from the contingent I know lol.

One of these days he'll get what's coming

Vader

Reaction score

Bullies like Wilson only respond to another bully. Somebody needs to do to him what he has been doing to others.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Bullies like Wilson only respond to another bully. Somebody needs to do to him what he has been doing to others.

Looks like Wilson got 20 games. The sad part are the Craps are a better team without him.