• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2018-19 Penguins and NHL Offseason

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Is it hockey season yet?...haha.

It is ticket buying season. Prices for mid week games are dirt cheap. I've bought 6 games so far. I wish I didn't have a 2 1/2 hours drive over the mountains, I'd pick up 3 or 4 more, tough to play the weather in January and February. I matched games to what I've paid over the past few years. I've saved about 25% so far. Now mind that I rarely sit in the lower bowl. I like 203-208, low rows. Vivid Seats runs buy seven and get a gift card for the cheapest game. I thought it was a come on. I sent in my documentation and they sent me a gift card for $80, not bad. I hate paying fees but haven't figured a reliable way around that.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
It is ticket buying season. Prices for mid week games are dirt cheap. I've bought 6 games so far. I wish I didn't have a 2 1/2 hours drive over the mountains, I'd pick up 3 or 4 more, tough to play the weather in January and February. I matched games to what I've paid over the past few years. I've saved about 25% so far. Now mind that I rarely sit in the lower bowl. I like 203-208, low rows. Vivid Seats runs buy seven and get a gift card for the cheapest game. I thought it was a come on. I sent in my documentation and they sent me a gift card for $80, not bad. I hate paying fees but haven't figured a reliable way around that.

That's awesome! I'm a 1000 miles to the south. Getting to games would be expensive anyway you try it..haha. I'm shooting for a Pens&Steelers weekend this season to make the most of a trip. I am however close for travel to Tampa Bay and the Panthers for road games.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
That's awesome! I'm a 1000 miles to the south. Getting to games would be expensive anyway you try it..haha. I'm shooting for a Pens&Steelers weekend this season to make the most of a trip. I am however close for travel to Tampa Bay and the Panthers for road games.

1000 miles is a bit of a commute. I'd be watching those Southwest sales. At least you have two options for the away games.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Almost.
Anxious to see how Johnson fits into our system. Hopefully he can help Oleksiak in the physicality department.
Is Sprong ready? Still some question marks at winger. As much as Sheary was not the greatest, I was always impressed by his puck protection for his size and helping create offensive opportunities. Sid and the kids were fun while it lasted.

Tommy8Maddox

Reaction score
Almost.
Anxious to see how Johnson fits into our system. Hopefully he can help Oleksiak in the physicality department.
Is Sprong ready? Still some question marks at winger. As much as Sheary was not the greatest, I was always impressed by his puck protection for his size and helping create offensive opportunities. Sid and the kids were fun while it lasted.

Defense will have to be much better this season for us to contend. I hope we learned from the playoffs because we have to make those adjustments or it's going to end the same way in 2019. Though I really hope it does not.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score

Mrs fan and I picked up tix for Steelers/ stains in late October, then Pens /Islanders two days later. The Pens should be fun

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Here is what a leader looks and sounds like, three Cups later and still wanting to get better. . . Steelers, take note!

https://www.pensburgh.com/2018/9/16...enguins-training-camp-news-season-preview-nhl

Evgeni Malkin spoke to the media on Sunday in a 7:52 second exchange. That’s a lengthy interview by his standards, and his focus was on display.

“I don’t want to be a guy who wins three Cups and stops playing, just be a nice guy,” Malkin said. “I want to be a good player, next five years, next six years. I want to try my best and try to dominate every game. I want to be like a leader should be, a top center in this league the next five, six years for sure.”

Malkin, 32, is advancing “aged” status for an elite hockey player, but he is coming off a 2017-18 season where his numbers in goals (42), assists (56) and points (98) were all personal bests since his 2011-12 campaign. Also, Geno’s 78 games were the highest they’ve been since 2008-09 - a year he won the scoring title and Conn Smythe trophy.

Malkin still has it in him - he scored 28 goals (in 42 games) from January 1 - end of regular season, the most in the league in the second half of the season. His 62 points in that time period only trailed Connor McDavid by one point for league’s best.

Big Gene mentioned with a longer summer he was able to take a bit of time off and started skating 3-4 times a week starting in mid-July. That has ramped up to almost every day over the past couple of of weeks.

“I feel so much better this year and I have more confidence right now, I feel unbelievable.”

It definitely feels like Malkin is “man on a mission” this season and is excited to get the season going. Much like Sidney Crosby, he’s a guy who has pretty much won everything individually and collectively that there is to win, yet there’s a noticeable hunger and drive this year.

“Sid [is an] unbelievable player...I look to him every day and he’s still hungry. He’s work[ing] hard every day. He’s our leadership and I’m trying to be the same. I’m trying to show my best level, I know I am [part of the] leadership and everyone look to me right now.”

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
1st preseason game tonight @ Buffalo. Probably just a bunch of WBS/Wheeling/Junior hockey kids tonight but hockey is back!
And best wishes to Coach Sullivan as he's on his leave of absence.

Time for Sid and Malkin to show their leadership

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Here is what a leader looks and sounds like, three Cups later and still wanting to get better. . . Steelers, take note!

https://www.pensburgh.com/2018/9/16...enguins-training-camp-news-season-preview-nhl

Evgeni Malkin spoke to the media on Sunday in a 7:52 second exchange. That’s a lengthy interview by his standards, and his focus was on display.

“I don’t want to be a guy who wins three Cups and stops playing, just be a nice guy,” Malkin said. “I want to be a good player, next five years, next six years. I want to try my best and try to dominate every game. I want to be like a leader should be, a top center in this league the next five, six years for sure.”

Malkin, 32, is advancing “aged” status for an elite hockey player, but he is coming off a 2017-18 season where his numbers in goals (42), assists (56) and points (98) were all personal bests since his 2011-12 campaign. Also, Geno’s 78 games were the highest they’ve been since 2008-09 - a year he won the scoring title and Conn Smythe trophy.

Malkin still has it in him - he scored 28 goals (in 42 games) from January 1 - end of regular season, the most in the league in the second half of the season. His 62 points in that time period only trailed Connor McDavid by one point for league’s best.

Big Gene mentioned with a longer summer he was able to take a bit of time off and started skating 3-4 times a week starting in mid-July. That has ramped up to almost every day over the past couple of of weeks.

“I feel so much better this year and I have more confidence right now, I feel unbelievable.”

It definitely feels like Malkin is “man on a mission” this season and is excited to get the season going. Much like Sidney Crosby, he’s a guy who has pretty much won everything individually and collectively that there is to win, yet there’s a noticeable hunger and drive this year.

“Sid [is an] unbelievable player...I look to him every day and he’s still hungry. He’s work[ing] hard every day. He’s our leadership and I’m trying to be the same. I’m trying to show my best level, I know I am [part of the] leadership and everyone look to me right now.”

Love Geno&Sid. They haven't rested on what they've accomplished. Which is a lot thus far! Plenty of time to reflect when you retire. Mario,Jagr,Crosby&Geno. The pens sure can pick champions and hall of famers.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
1st preseason game tonight @ Buffalo. Probably just a bunch of WBS/Wheeling/Junior hockey kids tonight but hockey is back!
And best wishes to Coach Sullivan as he's on his leave of absence.

Time for Sid and Malkin to show their leadership

family issue?

Nevermind, found that his dad passed. Damn, that sucks! RIP Mr. Sullivan!

Last edited:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
family issue?

Nevermind, found that his dad passed. Damn, that sucks! RIP Mr. Sullivan!

Yeah his pops passed.
He'll be back for the regular season though.

I think this is the perfect opportunity for Sid and Geno to really become leaders.
I think they've matured a lot since the Bylsma days. But they know their presence now. Gonna be a fun season

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Just sitting down to a beer and some preseason Pens !

With all the Steeler drama I need some hockey !

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
As you would expect without the Pens playing most of the top 9. The first period was a slop fest. Sprong looks a little lost. Out of position and took a hard check when he has his head down. It's early and no Sully. Martin is running the ship.

Pens down 1-0. Buffalo scored with 4.4 seconds left in the first.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm blacked out here man :(

Wanted to check out the baby Pens and Nailers lol.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
3-0 Buffalo. Eichel blew past Maata and scored short handed. Pens 0-2 on PP. It's still a mess. DeSmith looks OK, He is getting a work out.

Nice to see ZAR on the ice.

Dahlin is starting to get his act togrther. The kid is starting to look like a #1.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Pens got goals from O'Neil and Riccola. Pulled DeSmith but no joy. Pens drop this one 3-2.

What is evident is when you look below the core Pens roster. Talent is lacking. I was hoping to see Bleuger or Bellerieve stand out but not tonight.

Still great to have hockey back !

Reactions: MTC

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Pens got goals from O'Neil and Riccola. Pulled DeSmith but no joy. Pens drop this one 3-2.

What is evident is when you look below the core Pens roster. Talent is lacking. I was hoping to see Bleuger or Bellerieve stand out but not tonight.

I never watch pre season hockey,but I'm damn happy things are rolling again.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

Wasn't expecting Bellerieve to be 100%. Coming off an offseason campfire accident and all.
I think Donatelli should do a good job prepping the guys down in WBS. Riccola is supposed to be a top prospect for us. I'll reserve judgement until the last pre season game

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Line Up for tonight. The Big Guns are still in waiting. After the work DeSmith put in I would expect to see Jarry tonight. I'm really looking forward to seeing Addison and Alemeda. Looks like Jack Johnson will be making his debut. Surprised Palojarvi is even in country,

GOALIES
1 CASEY DESMITH
35 TRISTAN JARRY

DEFENSEMEN
4 JUSTIN SCHULTZ
5 ZACH TROTMAN
6 JAMIE OLEKSIAK
50 JUUSO RIIKOLA
73 JACK JOHNSON
76 CALEN ADDISON
83 ANTTI PALOJARVI

FORWARDS
12 DOMINIK SIMON
17 BRYAN RUST
25 TOBIAS LINDBERG
36 LINUS OLUND
37 SAM LAFFERTY
38 DEREK GRANT
41 DANIEL SPRONG
47 ADAM JOHNSON
51 JOSEPH CRAMAROSSA
53 TEDDY BLUEGER
56 RYAN HAGGERTY
61 JUSTIN ALMEIDA
80 SAM MILETIC

Reactions: MTC

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Line Up for tonight. The Big Guns are still in waiting. After the work DeSmith put in I would expect to see Jarry tonight. I'm really looking forward to seeing Addison and Alemeda. Looks like Jack Johnson will be making his debut. Surprised Palojarvi is even in country,

GOALIES
1 CASEY DESMITH
35 TRISTAN JARRY

DEFENSEMEN
4 JUSTIN SCHULTZ
5 ZACH TROTMAN
6 JAMIE OLEKSIAK
50 JUUSO RIIKOLA
73 JACK JOHNSON
76 CALEN ADDISON
83 ANTTI PALOJARVI

FORWARDS
12 DOMINIK SIMON
17 BRYAN RUST
25 TOBIAS LINDBERG
36 LINUS OLUND
37 SAM LAFFERTY
38 DEREK GRANT
41 DANIEL SPRONG
47 ADAM JOHNSON
51 JOSEPH CRAMAROSSA
53 TEDDY BLUEGER
56 RYAN HAGGERTY
61 JUSTIN ALMEIDA
80 SAM MILETIC

Hope Calen Addison shows something.
Derek Grant was a gamer in Anaheim. Will keep an eye on him.

Hope Oleksiak and Johnson get paired up too.
The potential to be a physical defensive pairing is a hockey boner lol