• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017--look ahead -- When Bryant returns

Spike

Reaction score
Yes, we need more fast and undersized LB's who get hurt a lot.

Yinzers need to face reality, the days of finding another tweener sleeper stud to be our salvation at OLB are long gone.
EVERY team runs the 3-4 now, they all want them.

Time to move on from the horse and buggy days of defense and smashmouth "just line up and beat them" (huff huff - chestbump!) to the jet age of offense.

Reactions: MTC

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
He's a wide bodied WR - I liked him too - he's having a decent year in Detroit but he's no game-breaker anymore.

I want more top end playmakers, and the draft is where we can find them

Probably better to draft top end receivers than try to pay 2 top end WRs next year. AB will have a top 5 contract coming up for WRs. It's not feasible to grab another high priced FA WR. But I see Bolden as a 3rd WR. We have 2 game breakers already in Bryant and Brown. We just need a safety valve in case Bryant back slides again.

Best to use that extra money on a FA pass rusher. Better than relying on the draft for a stud.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Yinzers need to face reality, the days of finding another tweener sleeper stud to be our salvation at OLB are long gone.

Time to move on from the horse and buggy days of defense and smashmouth "just line up and beat them" (huff huff - chestbump!) to the jet age of offense.

I'm with this philosophy. In today's training, speed is a factor. You look at guys like Polamalu, Ed Reed, Shazier. They are fast and have an instinct for the ball, but to contradict myself; the Steelers have gotten big and strong up front on both sides of the ball. The chest bump, smash mouth football seems to be favoring the Steelers again

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't sleep on ILBer

Timmons may not be back............

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Draft BPA... period. Id be fine with a stud at any non kicker position...

I mean Ben is great but im always for getting a premium QB to back him up and learn at this phase
We are uber deep at WR but most also have ?'s too
Oline is a strength but im all for always improving it...
Dline is stronger than i thought, but also so damn important
LB is a need, but I dont want a reach for one... if he is great take one, otherwise look elsewhere
CB always can use a guy
Safety can use a guy to be Mitchels replacement in time
TE is good if green is healthy...if....
RB is great with Bell, but Williams wont last much longer... the other guys are ok, but upgrade if you can...

I just see this draft as a luxury draft for this team... first in a long while

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
sorry you don't draft a QB in one, you just don't

you are surrounding your elite QB with a capable team.

so you keep targeting your weaknesses

OLB/ILB/WR/CB

madinsomniac

Reaction score
sorry you don't draft a QB in one, you just don't

you are surrounding your elite QB with a capable team.

so you keep targeting your weaknesses

OLB/ILB/WR/CB

I point out again... this exact same train of thought lost us Marino... if a guy you really think is a franchise QB is there you take him... period... not that i see that guy in this draft, but things change

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I point out again... this exact same train of thought lost us Marino... if a guy you really think is a franchise QB is there you take him... period... not that i see that guy in this draft, but things change

do you think a franchise QB will be sitting there at 32?

Troglodyte

Reaction score

I thought Marino was rumored to be friends with Frosty the Snowman and that's why teams shied away.

GILBERT

Reaction score
If they can find another Artie Burns, that could be the play. I was always the believer they would never draft a first rd CB. Burns has worked out.
If not CB, YES, another LB. Offense is set (unless a stud OL falls), so stock up.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, he is under contract. Although he could get released if the front office wants to go with a younger player. Here is a list of Steelers upcoming free agents, per overthecap.com:

http://overthecap.com/free-agency/pittsburgh-steelers/

of that list, without going too deep I´d say that the priorities are:
- Bell, Bell, Bell, then
- offer a team friendly contract to Timmons so he can retire a Steeler, 4M/Y for two more seasons?
- D-Will for one more year 2M
- Harrison, it's his choice, one more go-round for him?
- Hubbard is a cheap keeper RFA and a no brainer
- Same goes for Cockrell who should be given a long term on the cheap given the bargaining power of the RFA tag
- Nix, Villa, Boswell, Chick, Hamilton, Dangerfield, Finney are all Exclusive Rights FA so they'll be kept for peanuts and are all very valuable for team's depth

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
It's a B group in the wings

I want another blue chip A+ starter

if Bryant gets clean he's your blue chipper to tandem with AB, at least for a year. If not then we might need some help and wouldn't mind a decent seasoned vet for 5M or less or a high draft pick

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
Even with running the risk of pissing him off I'd franchise Bell once. He is to blame for failing drug tests and getting suspended, not anybody else or the franchise. I'd take care of AB first, you know, the guy who has no baggage. I know, he's the best all around RB in the game along with Johnson in Arizona. Doesn't change a thing for me.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Even with running the risk of pissing him off I'd franchise Bell once. He is to blame for failing drug tests and getting suspended, not anybody else or the franchise. I'd take care of AB first, you know, the guy who has no baggage. I know, he's the best all around RB in the game along with Johnson in Arizona. Doesn't change a thing for me.

was going for the list of 2017 UFA, but yes of course, AB should get a new contract this coming offseason

Spike

Reaction score
if Bryant gets clean he's your blue chipper to tandem with AB, at least for a year. If not then we might need some help and wouldn't mind a decent seasoned vet for 5M or less or a high draft pick

I don't believe in ifs

Did you know the Steelers have 5 Pro-Bowlers on their offense?

I want more

Give me another #1 WR weapon at least, pour it on

madinsomniac

Reaction score

Unfortunately Spike is 100% right on this... as long as you have a great qb offense will win you more than defense... like the passing game wins more than the run game... its goodellball now boys