• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2015 Penguins Thread -now with 100% more Kessel and a STANLEY CUP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Just wait until Sid and Phyllis wake up

Phil has been decent actually. As for Sid idk what is up with him. The Pens are getting sloppy again however. Could be a long night against Minnesota. That *** whoopin by the Devils was horrible. Just a flat line performance

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely no reason or excuse for a team built like this to go 2 games w/o a goal. Especially given that they are being handed PP opportunities. What a joke that is......other than the dump and chase, which usually ends up as the dump and chase back to the other end to defend against a shortie, they can't even enter the zone. Complete clown show. Next coach up.

That's exactly how I feel. Set up when you cross the blue line. And for God's sake, can we hold the point on the blue line? it seems that any team can clear against us by hitting down the boards.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Phil has been decent actually. As for Sid idk what is up with him. The Pens are getting sloppy again however. Could be a long night against Minnesota. That *** whoopin by the Devils was horrible. Just a flat line performance

I believe Sid is flat out burnt out. He has had so much put on him for so many years that I am sure it has to wear on someone. He has won a cup / gold medal and about everything in between so I am sure his drive has to be somewhat effected. Before he was so strong on the puck no one could knock him off. Now it seems John Doe can take the puck away. He was never a fancy scorer he was more of a grinding / passing type scorer and now a lot of the "grind" is gone from his game. Either he needs to change it up or go back to what he used to do because it is not working right now.

As for the rest of the team they are so inconsistent. There is no way this is a championship team the way it stands. Even when they went on the win streak some of the games they were luck to get the W. The one game they won recently they had 2 shots in the 2nd period and 17 in the 3rd. They just have no cohesion. Another thing I do not understand is the constant drop passes. Most of the time these passes get dropped to no one or the other team. To me that is a coaching problem although they did it under Big Dan as well.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't get this team. Other than the stars, there was a wholescale revamp of this team from last year. We added a top tier scorer, but we still can't score. The PP is atrocious. I just don't get it.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I believe Sid is flat out burnt out. He has had so much put on him for so many years that I am sure it has to wear on someone. He has won a cup / gold medal and about everything in between so I am sure his drive has to be somewhat effected. Before he was so strong on the puck no one could knock him off. Now it seems John Doe can take the puck away. He was never a fancy scorer he was more of a grinding / passing type scorer and now a lot of the "grind" is gone from his game. Either he needs to change it up or go back to what he used to do because it is not working right now.

As for the rest of the team they are so inconsistent. There is no way this is a championship team the way it stands. Even when they went on the win streak some of the games they were luck to get the W. The one game they won recently they had 2 shots in the 2nd period and 17 in the 3rd. They just have no cohesion. Another thing I do not understand is the constant drop passes. Most of the time these passes get dropped to no one or the other team. To me that is a coaching problem although they did it under Big Dan as well.

I do agree. Makes sense. Sid has not only done for the Pens. But for the sport in general. He is the face of the NHL. So I do believe he is burnt as a result. Hockey is a strenuous sport. Year round practically. I never thought of what you brought up, until now

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I think this team can be a cup contender with consistency however. The Pens are too undisciplined

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Looking improved tonight. Stay consistent Pens. Damn

Spike

Reaction score
After Malkin screamed at them to step it in the locker room - he walked the walk - 4 pts in beast mode. Great game. The PP actually scored! yay!

I thought Ollie was dead

Penguins defenseman Olli Maatta suffered an upper body injury in Tuesday’s game and spent the night in the hospital.

He remains in the hospital today for observation and will be re-examined later in the day.

The upper body injury is not related to previous injuries Maatta has suffered.

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Interesting take on the hit.......

http://toomanymenonthesite.com/2015/11/18/olli-maatta-injury-deems-nino-niederreiter-suspension/

....regardless Errey said words to the effect of no one should do that stuff (the push from behind) and I agree. Besides the puck was way gone by then....Niederreiter's not a goon and probably feels bad, but a suspension is warranted imo to send the message. It was boarding or interference at least
and even brain farts shouldn't be immune to suspensions.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
That Minnesota game was a badly officiated game for both teams. I think the hit on Maata was dirty in a sense that he was hit from behind. But the injury aspect when he fell into the door was bad timing from the player on the bench opening that door. And Malkin went full beast mode

Rod Farva

Reaction score
Doumoulin had a nice game.....his one mistake almost cost them though. Hornquist is awesome and Kunitz is really working hard.....hitting and grinding, glad to see him score. Bonino's been a great add.......Well played game. Sid shot the monkey.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the Pens will turn it up a notch come spring time. Possibly after the all star break

Rod Farva

Reaction score
I don't know man.......this team is so schizoid.....maybe if they can get and remain fully healthy and acquire a good offensive defenseman........we'll see.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know man.......this team is so schizoid.....maybe if they can get and remain fully healthy and acquire a good offensive defenseman........we'll see.

Lack of leadership sadly. The talent is there. I think Malkin hinted to what may be up amongst players. I think they will get it sorted out soon. MAF is having another decent season too. So he's gonna keep them in games

Stillers

Reaction score
Well, I can say that this is the worst Flyers team I've seen since Pre-Lindros. You guys are going to steamroll the Flyers.
If not for some unbelievable goaltending, we may not have a win.

Definitely a top draft pick kinda year. :dispirited:

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
have no fear, Stillers, the Flyers still own the Pens, regardless of how good/bad either team is. This Pens team is soft and sporratic.

Spike

Reaction score
Olli Maatta’s Injury Should Force Trade

Third-year defender Olli Maatta was hit and it was initially believed to be either a knee or shoulder injury. However, a brief amount of time passed and there was some concern that Maatta’s internal organs were damaged, but these worries proved to be a grave overreaction by many.

There is a problem that Maatta’s injury has revealed and it’s just how thin the Penguins defense is. If you’ve watched them play this season, it’s no secret that the unit has struggled as a whole. Losing a player as talented as Maatta will hurt the team more than anyone realizes.

Kris Letang Hurt The Most By Maatta’s Injury

This season has not been one of Kris Letang’s finest. In fact, it’s has been one of his worst as a member of the Penguins. The problem that Letang is facing is that he’s essentially all the Penguins are left with. Ian Cole was used in a top-pairing role and was clearly over his head, Maatta stepped in beautifully but has durability problems and Rob Scuderi, Ben Lovejoy, Brian Dumoulin and Adam Clendening all are not top pairing defenders.

The point is that Letang has only played well with Maatta this season and now he’s out of the lineup for three to four weeks.

When asked about his plans, Jim Rutherford had this to say: At some point, I think we’re going to have to add a top-three or top-four defenseman. It’s something that we’d like to do. Do we have the right top-six guys right now? We might have to make a change there.

It’s painfully obvious that Rutherford is planning on making a move, the question is when will it happen. Additionally, it’s clear to the rest of the league that Pittsburgh will be dealing from a position of weakness and might have to overpay.

A popular name in trade rumors is St. Louis Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo. If Rutherford wants a top-three, or four, defender then Pietrangelo is a perfect candidate to come in and try to help Letang while Maatta is sidelined.

Is it time to start the Pietrangelo watch in Pittsburgh?

http://thehockeywriters.com/olli-maattas-injury-should-force-trade/

----------------------

Yes!

Last edited:

hamster

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm told that the stars are uncoachable at this point. They pay lip service at practice, and do what they want during the games. This is why they look unprepared and out of sync. It is also why Johnston looks flummoxed all the time. He has little control. And with the team being for sale, ownership is showing little interest.

Looks like another long season. The Sidney Crosby Era may go out with a whimper.

hamster

Contributor
Reaction score
Remember the days when we had an over abundance of quality, young defensemen? Now we have Scuds and Lovejoy. Sheesh.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Remember the days when we had an over abundance of quality, young defensemen? Now we have Scuds and Lovejoy. Sheesh.

I remember the days of Orpik, Letang, Cooke, Martin, Scuderi(when he was decent). Sucks seeing my favorite team go downhill like this. I'm riding through this train wreck as a fan though. Love my Pens too damn much

Rod Farva

Reaction score
And sadly Mario is the only available hope I see out there for this team, coaching wise. I know he won't do it, but he is the only real option available that has the experience and resume' that would command the respect necessary to get the "super stars" back in pocket. Why I wanted Babcock so badly.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Barnaby might have 'heard' something? that sounds like complete bullshit

Eh probably some bitter writer who is trying to spark up controversy. I just cannot see a team that much in shambles. Especially the Penguins. Hockey players will let you know when they are unhappy. This team is slowly getting things together. Still a lot of kinks to work on, but I see the Pens whooping *** come spring time

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Shootout loss. But damn! Malkin is stepping up

Status
Not open for further replies.