• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2015 defense vs. 2016 defense

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think Colbert and Tomlin (and the coordinators) have struggled to find a replacement for that as the rules have changed. We bounce around from speed to power to technique to size back to speed again. We go short on DB's, we go tall on DB's. We like runner-hitter LB's, we like thumpers in the middle blowing up lead blockers, we like 2-gap linemen or 1-gap linemen. I can't really figure out what a "Steeler Defender" looks like anymore and I think that indecisiveness permeates into the meeting rooms, into the personnel decisions, into the game plans and into the execution of the players.

Money post right here.

6Lombardis

Reaction score
There is a big change on defense. Golden and Cockrell are now officially starters, and rookies Burns and Davis have added speed to our secondary. They are also raw and need a little time to develop and get more comfortable with the scheme. We haven't had to blitz much, because our team was playing with a lead. We blitzed a bunch in Philly, but it was picked up well, and Wentz didn't seem to mind the pressure. I believe our pass rush will improve as the season progresses, and I don't think Dupree is the only factor that will improve our pass rush.
I thought I heard we only blitzed 3 times in Philly. I guess that's incorrect (on NFLN). I would rewatch and count, but I couldn't bear to keep that hot mess on my DVR.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
And for one game it didn't work..So of course naturally blow it up and blame

Philly won because their Oline kicked out Dline *** and their Dline kicked our Oline ***. A recipe for winning football since it was invented
the Eagles want the short passes, that's their game, we gave them exactly what they wanted, that's a losing recipe since football was invented.
This defense worked vs Cincy because they want to push the ball down field. If we don't start pressuring the QB it won't matter who we play, they'll pick us apart.

S

Steelers1

the Eagles want the short passes, that's their game, we gave them exactly what they wanted, that's a losing recipe since football was invented.
This defense worked vs Cincy because they want to push the ball down field. If we don't start pressuring the QB it won't matter who we play, they'll pick us apart.

This guy appears too dumb to grasp basic concepts.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

So we blitz and open up the deep stuff with rookies cause they like the short stuff..instead of tackle the catch..ok that makes sense. If the offense does its job we are in the game that was only 13-3 @ halftime

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
This guy appears too dumb to grasp basic concepts.

But I'm not too stupid to know who you are every time your dumb *** get banned and think you slick when you come back with a different username. One post and I pegged you. Huh Cletus. Been 20 times but still coming back. Where is your pride??? Sad we are the only people who talk to you

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
They are also raw and need a little time to develop and get more comfortable with the scheme. I believe our pass rush will improve as the season progresses,.

All true but these are Pittsburgh Stiller fans we are talkin' about here.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cMXcgEwZw5E/T2MZ_WI0NRI/AAAAAAAACnk/ogqM2WvJlPc/s400/vultures-patience-my-***.jpg

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers’ defense needs to turn up pressure

By Dale Lolley
September 27, 2016
Image description
Associated Press
Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier, right, and safety Mike Mitchell react after giving up a touchdown to Philadelphia in the second half of a 34-3 loss Sunday. Shazier is questionable for this weekend’s game against Kansas City with a knee injury.
Image description
PITTSBURGH – Getting pressure on opposing quarterbacks and either good pass coverage or takeaways from defensive backs often go hand in hand.

The more pressure applied, the more likely the opposing quarterback will make a mistake or throw into tight coverage. The better the coverage, the more time the defensive front has to put pressure on the quarterback.

It’s a chicken-or-the-egg situation and the Steelers are getting neither.

Because the Steelers are playing rookies Sean Davis and Artie Burns in their secondary, defensive coordinator Keith Butler has chosen not to blitz much, instead dropping seven or eight players into pass coverage about 75 percent of the time.

The Steelers have been content to allow short pass completions and tackle the receiver after the catch.

That’s fine in theory. But because of that defensive scheme, the Steelers are applying very little pressure on opposing quarterbacks. And, when they miss tackles on receivers, it is counterproductive.

In Pittsburgh’s 34-3 thrashing Sunday in Philadelphia, Eagles rookie quarterback Carson Wentz had 19 of his 23 completions travel less than five yards from the line of scrimmage. The Steelers got a stop or held the play to less than five yards on 10 of those plays. But when they missed the tackles, they were turned into 132 yards in gains.

Add in two of the stops being turned into positive plays for the Eagles when inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons and cornerback William Gay were assessed penalties for a late hit and facemask, respectively, and a 73-yard catch-and-run on a broken play to running back Darren Sproles, and it accounts for two-thirds of the 301 passing yards the Steelers allowed.

“They had 300 yards passing, but I would imagine over 200 of that were catch-and-run type plays or the broken play,” Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday. “You have to acknowledge that positioning and tackling were elements of our poor performance.”

They are issues the Steelers (2-1) must fix quickly if they hope to defeat the Kansas City Chiefs (2-1) Sunday night at Heinz Field.

Philadelphia head coach Doug Pederson was formerly the offensive coordinator in Kansas City under head coach Andy Reid. And what the Eagles did to the Steelers last week was right out of the Chiefs’ playbook.

The Steelers, who are allowing 332 yards passing per game, can expect to see plenty of short passes until they stop them.

“I fully expect that to transpire,” Tomlin said. “We looked at some Kansas City tape in preparation for Philadelphia, so it would be reasonable to take the visa-versa approach in preparation for Kansas City, particularly because of the way we performed, or didn’t perform, last week versus Philadelphia.”

Some pressure on the quarterback would help.

The Steelers have an NFL-worst one sack. It’s their fewest in the first three weeks of a season since 1997, when they had a bye in Week 3 after failing to record a sack while splitting games against Philadelphia and Washington. This is the first time since the sack became an official statistic in 1982 that the Steelers had just one through three games.

Perhaps playing a more familiar opponent will help. The Steelers had two sacks in a 23-13 loss at Kansas City last season, a game started by backup quarterback Landry Jones.

Tomlin would like to get more pressure on the opposing quarterback, but he also understands the game situation dictated those results.

That doesn’t explain, however, the lack of pressure in the first two games – wins over Washington and Cincinnati.

“In some of the other games where we were in control and had a lead, I was much more disappointed in our ability to put pressure on the quarterback in those circumstances,” Tomlin admitted. “We had our opponent somewhat one-dimensional and should’ve taken better advantage of it, Washington being an example of that.”

Things also won’t get easier this week because of injuries.

Tomlin said inside linebacker Ryan Shazier (knee) and starting strong safety Robert Golden (hamstring) are questionable to play against the Chiefs. Timmons, who suffered a puncture wound to his shin that forced an in-game trip to the hospital, is expected to be OK. Davis, who plays both the slot position and would be first in line to replace Golden at strong safety, is questionable with a back injury.

“It’s a big week for us because we have an opportunity to respond in the proper way to some adversity, be it injuries or a negative performance,” Tomlin said.

Odds and end zones
When asked about running back Le’Veon Bell’s participation this week as he returns from a three-game suspension, Tomlin said, “rest assured you’re going to see Le’Veon Bell and probably a lot of him.” … Tomlin said guard Ramon Foster (chest) and wide receiver Eli Rogers (toe) are questionable to play Sunday. There is, however, a chance offensive lineman Cody Wallace (knee) and fullback Roosevelt Nix (back) will see their first action of the season.

Whatever the coaches decide to do this week the players better execute it and play better or it doesn't matter

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The whole offensive line isn't that bad. Antonio Brown isn't a bad player if Roethlisberger isn't on the team. I think Bell's a damn good running back (better than what I thought) if he stayed eligible. Even some of the other late round WR's like Sanders and Wallace have proven decent.

I agree Roethlisberger makes us a playoff contender. He's the straw that stirs the drink. But you can't just brush all the other pieces on offense that Colbert/Tomlin collected over the years under the rug with the assumption we'd have Michael Vick or Landry Jones instead. That's not a realistic what if situation.

Look, I'm not a Colbert apologist. I'm on record as firing him after the second 8-8 season. Period. I think he isn't looking ahead enough. I was worried about the defense 4-5 years ago. This regime didn't start until about 3 years ago. I was worried about the O-line in 2007 and 2008 (a LOT), this regime seemed happy with Starks and Colon and Mahan and Kemo.

But it's not like they haven't done ANYTHING right. That's kind of too black an answer on a gray issue.

When they do finally get to a problem, they do kind of hit it hard and it's worked okay. The offensive line IS better after Pouncey, Gilbert, DeCastro, Foster, Beachum and Villanueva came into the fold from 2009-2013. You can't deny the Steelers have drafted WR's well. You can't deny Bell is a very talented running back.

Jesus... you can disagree with them but give them some credit (however little you want) when it's deserved.

I can give credit. I think the OL very good. One of the best 8 units in the NFL. I think AB is great. But without Ben, where is this team? That was my point. Yes--The Steelers draft Wide Receivers very well....but once they leave, how good was said, Wallace? Bell was replaced by Williams without much if any drop off last year and this year. Bell's value does not match his talent and is downgraded due to issues with injuries and drugs. Next year we need to draft a back in rounds 1-3 unless you want to risk giving Bell 12-15 million a year. Me? I'd rather spend that money on a shutdown corner ( Like Norman ) or stud pass rusher, then draft a back or pick up a solid one cheaply in free agency. Running the football when Ben is QB with our OL is easier here than most NFL teams. I really believe that.

As for Colbert, hindsight time. Giving Colon 6-7 Million a season, which back then was a lot was a huge mistake by Colbert Really? Colon was average and penalty prone. Leaving Starks off the roster...I don't get it he was our best left tackle and we were lucky to re-claim him. Colbert runs hot and cold for me but without Ben, the players he drafts and the one's Tomlin coach are .500 type of football team, maybe worse with this defense.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Coach can't you say that for every team who has a franchise QB besides the cheating Patriots. With out that franchise guy they suck..that goes for everyone. These days you can't have a great backup behind your franchise guy. And even if you did half the fanbase would be wanting to trade him at draft time for as much as you can get every year.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
As far as Bell and Williams the no drop off just isn't true

The 2015 Fed-Ex Ground Player of the Year, Bell brings an elite combination of patience, agility and speed that cannot be matched. The Steelers saw this last season when Bell missed a total of 10 games due to suspension and his season-ending MCL injury, averaging 93.6 rushing yards per game without Bell and an imposing 131.3 yards per game with Bell in the lineup. Although Bell’s return leaves backup running back DeAngelo Williams in an awkward-purgatory situation, Bell does believe there remains room in the backfield for him and Williams.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/09/steelers-offense-set-run-loose-return-juice/

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
So we blitz and open up the deep stuff with rookies cause they like the short stuff..instead of tackle the catch..ok that makes sense. If the offense does its job we are in the game that was only 13-3 @ halftime
Well have you seen Wentz throw the ball down field this season? I think coming into the game they attempted 2 passes of 20+ yards. I'd rather take away what he's comfortable with and make him make tougher throws wouldn't you? Yes I would gamble and blitz, he's a rookie, I want to pressure him.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Well have you seen Wentz throw the ball down field this season? I think coming into the game they attempted 2 passes of 20+ yards. I'd rather take away what he's comfortable with and make him make tougher throws wouldn't you? Yes I would gamble and blitz, he's a rookie, I want to pressure him.

No I'd like to actually execute the game plan whatever it is. Tackle the catch. I've seen us blitz and not get home before too and get torched. The coaches put in a game plan the players must execute it. Saying we should have blitzed more doesn't mean it was guaranteed to work either. We got dominated on both sides of the line of scrimmage and Wentz out played Ben. Game over

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
On the 73 yard TD to sproles we got pressure and got torched.

S

Steelers1

But I'm not too stupid to know who you are every time your dumb *** get banned and think you slick when you come back with a different username. One post and I pegged you. Huh Cletus. Been 20 times but still coming back. Where is your pride??? Sad we are the only people who talk to you

Take your meds you seem unhinged and stupid. You need help, sad to see somepne both stupid and psychotic.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Take your meds you seem unhinged and stupid. You need help, sad to see somepne both stupid and psychotic.

Just tell me why do you keep coming back here after being banned over and over

S

Steelers1

Never been banned but paranoia is your friend. You are getting pummeled in this thread but you keep trying to change topics wonder why psycho ? Seriously you are unhinged get the help you are crying out for, the first step is admitting you need help to function at even tje rudimentary level. I would hate to see your homelife , I suggest you watch Silver Linings to see what paranoia, stupidity and psychosis do to a mentally challenged person.like you.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Never been banned but paranoia is your friend. You are getting pummeled in this thread but you keep trying to change topics wonder why psycho ? Seriously you are unhinged get the help you are crying out for, the first step is admitting you need help to function at even tje rudimentary level. I would hate to see your homelife , I suggest you watch Silver Linings to see what paranoia, stupidity and psychosis do to a mentally challenged person.like you.

Lol OK. SMH. Funny and sad at the same time

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

If it walks like a duck talks like a duck it's a Clete

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Paul Zeise: To our surprise, the Steelers might not be the cream of the crop in the AFC
September 26, 2016 12:00 PM
By Paul Zeise / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Two weeks ago, after the Steelers manhandled the Redskins in their opener, many of us, me included, said it was a validation of what we thought all summer — that the Steelers are the team to beat in the AFC.

Yeah, about that prediction...

To be honest, I wanted to write this Friday after watching the Patriots punish the Texans — a likely playoff team — Thursday night with Jacoby Brissett playing quarterback and Julian Edelman as his backup. But I didn’t want to be too reactionary, so I figured I’d wait to see what the Steelers did on Sunday in Philadelphia against the Eagles before I asked for forgiveness and a do-over.

ADVERTISEMENT

And about 10 minutes into that game, it was pretty clear the Patriots and Broncos are better than the Steelers right now.

That’s not to say the Steelers can’t get to the Super Bowl or won’t get better and be there at the end; it just means the Steelers have a lot of work to do.

Meanwhile, the Patriots are without Tom Brady (serving a four-game suspension for something about deflating footballs, destroying a cell phone and lying about it) and are 3-0 and will likely to get to 4-0 as they play Rex Ryan and the lowly Bills at Gillette Stadium this Sunday.

One of the reasons for optimism about the Steelers ability to get to the Super Bowl this year was the idea that they would be able to win home field advantage over the Patriots. The thought was they would be able to gain a couple of games in the standings on the Patriots, who no doubt would start 2-2 or even 1-3 without Brady, and the Steelers would get to 4-0 or 3-1.

But not only are the Steelers not going to have a lead over the Patriots at the end of Brady’s suspension, they are probably going to be trailing by at least one game — two if they don’t handle business against the Chiefs Sunday.

And that’s not to mention the Broncos, who are much better than advertised and play in a bad division, and will likely only get better as their young quarterback Trevor Siemian gets more comfortable and gains confidence.

Yes, the Ravens are 3-0, but let’s not lose our minds; they have squeaked out wins over three lousy teams, and I’m not buying them as much more than an 8-8 team.

This is all abstract stuff at this point as there is a lot of football left. But the bottom line is all of you suffering from Patriots and Broncos fatigue are probably not happy today because those two teams are not going anywhere.

That’s not something, though, the Steelers should be worrying about. They have plenty of their own issues to clean up before they start dreaming of a seventh Lombardi Trophy.

It would be easy to overreact to Sunday’s loss, but I won’t, mostly because when a team has a complete meltdown and plays just so poorly in every aspect of the game, I’m generally willing to say “bad day at the office.”

There are a few trends, though, that probably should be monitored over the next few weeks as we try to figure out just how good the Steelers are and what their ceiling is.

I still maintain they are a Super Bowl contender and no worse than the third best team in the AFC, but I like their chances less if you are going to tell me their road would include a playoff trip to either Sports Authority or Gillette or both. But here some things that need to change in a hurry:

The offensive line has to play better than it has the past two weeks, and that’s troublesome because the line was supposed to be a strength. But the unit, after dominating the Redskins in the opener, took a step back against the Bengals and a larger step back Sunday against the Eagles.

This unit was supposed to be the best that Ben Roethlisberger has played behind and still can be, but they were manhandled by the Eagles, and if Ramon Foster is out for any amount of time, it could really be trouble.

One would figure this unit is too good to not play better and thus shouldn’t be an area of concern, but they’ve got to find consistency and play as well as they are capable of playing week in and week out.

The same can be said about Roethlisberger, as he hasn’t played well the last two weeks, either. Maybe it isn’t a coincidence that he has struggled when the line has struggled.

Roethlisberger is a Hall of Fame quarterback, so the standards for him are higher than others, but he hasn’t played at that level and the offense has sputtered. But, of course, he is really good, so it is a safe bet to assume he will pull it together and have another great season.

He also hasn’t gotten a lot of help from his receivers, another unit that was supposed to be among the best in the NFL, but perhaps Markus Wheaton was just rusty and needs to get back into game shape and get his timing back.

Those things are troublesome because the offense was supposed to be a given, the unit that led the way and dominated opposing defenses. I still believe it can be, so I’m not ready to write them off.

The defense is a different story, because we can see a pattern developing. They can’t get to the quarterbacks and aren’t good at covering the short passing game, and looking at the talent in place, I’m not sure what we saw Sunday was completely a mirage.

The outside linebackers are just average in terms of rushing the passer, and that includes James Harrison, who used to be all-world but is becoming the latest victim of Father Time.

I have no doubt Harrison will have one or two of those Fountain of Youth games where he dominates and creates havoc in the backfield, but those games are fewer and fewer as he is reaching the end of his career.

Injuries did hurt the linebacker corps Sunday, but that always seems to be the issue with Ryan Shazier, and given his body type, I fear that is always going to be an issue with him.

But the linebackers have to play better, especially against the pass and rushing the passer. If not, what Carson Wentz did to the Steelers defense Sunday will be a blueprint for how to beat them. The defense was shredded the week before by Andy Dalton but did a good job of shutting it down in the red zone and keeping the Bengals out of the end zone.

That wasn’t the case Sunday, and it is a legitimate concern that maybe that defensive game plan can be exploited by accurate quarterbacks who are good at the quick passing game.

I’m willing to wait a few more weeks because I think the defense can pull it together, but I’ll be interested to see what adjustments Keith Butler can make to continue to hide some of the shortcomings in personnel.

This was one game, a bad game, an ugly game, so there is no reason to overreact, but that doesn’t mean there weren’t some things we saw in this game that shouldn’t raise an eyebrow or two.

The Steelers are too good of a team to play a game like this, and if it is the only stinker they have all year, nobody will remember it by the time the playoffs roll around.

But they need to play much better than this or they will find themselves not only falling way behind the Broncos and Patriots, but maybe even struggling just to make the playoffs.

I can’t imagine that’s going to happen and still expect them to win their division and compete for home field advantage. But then again, I couldn’t imagine they would go to Philadelphia and get boat raced by Wentz, either.

There are no guarantees, and games aren’t won on paper; they have to be won on the field.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...cream-of-the-crop-in-AFC/stories/201609260139

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
No I'd like to actually execute the game plan whatever it is. Tackle the catch. I've seen us blitz and not get home before too and get torched. The coaches put in a game plan the players must execute it. Saying we should have blitzed more doesn't mean it was guaranteed to work either. We got dominated on both sides of the line of scrimmage and Wentz out played Ben. Game over
So basically the coaches can't be wrong? Shazier left sproles was a big reason we got torched on that play, hell at least on that play Wentz had to avoid pressure and leave the pocket. We rushed 3 guys the majority of the time of course we got dominated at the Los on that side of the ball. Not putting pressure on the QB is making it worse on the DBs. It's a lot easier to tackle the catch if you're not giving a big cushion to guys who have no intentions on going deep

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
So basically the coaches can't be wrong? Shazier left sproles was a big reason we got torched on that play, hell at least on that play Wentz had to avoid pressure and leave the pocket. We rushed 3 guys the majority of the time of course we got dominated at the Los on that side of the ball. Not putting pressure on the QB is making it worse on the DBs. It's a lot easier to tackle the catch if you're not giving a big cushion to guys who have no intentions on going deep

So what happened when the eagles ran the ball?? Were we rushing three then? All out blitzing doesn't guarantee success. It's just you after the fact playing coach. Everybody wants to do something different after the fact. Doesn't mean it going to work. We didn't lose because we didn't blitz. We lost because we lost the line of scrimmage on both sides. Compounded by missing tackles and our QB not playing well.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
And yes coaches can be wrong the players weren't ready for the misdirection and screen game from the eagles. Not sure who to blame though. But I tell you this if they aren't prepared for it this week that's on the coaches definitely cause we are about to see basically the same offense this week.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
It's not after the fact coaching, a ton of people have been questioning that strategy after the 1st two weeks. A lot of the times when we get run on we are in that 2DL set, it's not hard to run the ball against that, hell we were in that 2dl set last year trailing in Baltimore in the 4th when any football fan knew Baltimore was going to be running to kill some clock, and we still stated in it and let them run all over us and kill clock.

I think we are probably damned either way, but if rather take my chances blitzing and at least having a chance to get to the QB then rushing 3 and hoping everyone can cover.