• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2014 Pirates thread

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm okay with Cervelli and Stewart but we MUST push the offensive production we lost with Martin to someplace like... First Base? Not convinced Pedro is that answer.

Watch them make a trade for Adam LaRoche. :rolleyes:

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
love it! Now re-sign Volquez and our bullpen will be in good shape! They may break $90M payroll. . . holy moly!

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Believe in the plan people, believe. Getting Liriano back is big. I read that they are talking to Volquez too, but we'll see about that, After he is fully recovered which hopefully by about mid season next year, Jameson Tallion will be a big part of the rotation as well. Let's just hope his recovery and rehab goes smoothly with no set backs. I am absolutely salivating thinking about the rotation in two years. Gerrit Cole, Jameson Tallion and Tyler Glasnow......3 young guys that have absolutely nasty stuff and can hit 99 or 100 on the radar gun, lol. They are gonna be a ridiculous trio. Tallion and Glasnow are 6'6" and 6'7"respectively. Can you imagine seeing that throwing 100 mph heat at you? . Cole is the shrimp of the group at 6'4" lol.

Last edited:

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
A good signing of Liriano. Funny thin is, he might be the #5 starter by the end of this contract with the pitching talent that is almost ready in Pirate farm system.
Good baseball in Pittsburgh for some time to come.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
A good signing of Liriano. Funny thin is, he might be the #5 starter by the end of this contract with the pitching talent that is almost ready in Pirate farm system.

Truth.

Cole is the ace, Liriano the #2 guy next year, and Burnett a very solid #4. Worley, Locke can handle the #5 spot. I would like to see them ink Brandon McCarthy, an extreme ground ball pitcher with excellent control, as their #3.

They then have Taillon, Glasnow and Kingham as superior prospects, but no pressing need to move them up early. They keep one of Taillon and Glasnow, IMO, since those kids deal 95-98 mph with boomerang curve balls. They deal the other, since they have the top-line young pitching depth to deal a starter for a legit, big-time bat at 1B.

They still have a dominant rotation - Cole, Glasnow, Liriano, McCarthy - plus elite offense at LF, CF, RF, and 1B, and more than sufficient offense at 3B, SS, 2B.

Holy crap, a lot rides on Cervelli, doesn't it? If the kid is as good defensively as advertised, the team is damn good. DAMN good.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
There is still a big question mark at 1B. Whether Alvarez can handle the position and can make contact with the ball is a concern. I'm so glad that they released Sanchez because he blew, but I wouldn't be upset if they traded Pedro for a legit first baseman.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
the Pirates have acquired left-handed reliever Antonio Bastardo from the Phillies for left-handed pitching prospect Joely Rodriguez.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Truth.

Cole is the ace, Liriano the #2 guy next year, and Burnett a very solid #4. Worley, Locke can handle the #5 spot. I would like to see them ink Brandon McCarthy, an extreme ground ball pitcher with excellent control, as their #3.

They then have Taillon, Glasnow and Kingham as superior prospects, but no pressing need to move them up early. They keep one of Taillon and Glasnow, IMO, since those kids deal 95-98 mph with boomerang curve balls. They deal the other, since they have the top-line young pitching depth to deal a starter for a legit, big-time bat at 1B.

They still have a dominant rotation - Cole, Glasnow, Liriano, McCarthy - plus elite offense at LF, CF, RF, and 1B, and more than sufficient offense at 3B, SS, 2B.

Holy crap, a lot rides on Cervelli, doesn't it? If the kid is as good defensively as advertised, the team is damn good. DAMN good.

Crap I forgot about Kingham. He's right up there not far behind Glasnow and Tallion. If those guys pan out like they should, then look out.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Pirates might be going Global, they won rights to South Korean hitter/infielder Kang. If they sign him in the next 30 days, we
might have a little Kangman Style for 2015.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Pirates might be going Global, they won rights to South Korean hitter/infielder Kang. If they sign him in the next 30 days, we might have a little Kangman Style for 2015.

Low risk for a player who can hit the high fastball, and whose defense is good enough for regular play at 3B, 2B, and occasional work at SS. Only his limited range prevents him from being a regular SS in the major leagues, but the dude has great hands and a plus arm.

If he hits with power, he can be a starting infielder in the major leagues. And based on some of the highlight videos I have seen, he can hit for power, including taking a 95 mph fastball up in the zone from Pirates signee Liz and hammering it 20 rows deep in left-center.