• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2014 Pirates thread

steelermania

Reaction score
The Bucs have now caught the Giants for the first wild card spot. If we remain tied, the game will be in Pittsburgh because the Bucs won the season series 4-2.

Last edited:

steelermania

Reaction score
The magic number is now 0. The Bucs are playoff bound!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Unbelievable run from this team. A lot of ups and downs, but they are playing good baseball right now.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Bucs have now caught the Giants for the first wild card spot. If we remain tied, the game will be in Pittsburgh because the Bucs won the season series 4-2.

Mr. and Mrs. Steeltime, along with a significant number of other Bucco fans, attended the 5-0 and 3-1 wins in AT&T.

A big group of us also attended three games in Anaheim last year. Buccos are 5-0 in the last five I have attended. Here is our group from last year:

sduuWy4.jpg

That's my son with the backswards hat, and me with the Sunday mustard yellow hat.

steelermania

Reaction score
The magic number is now 4 to clinch the first WC spot. It's 7 to take the division, 6 to force a playoff. We need to win the game in hand, then make up one game to force a one game playoff with the Cards.

It's amazing, it looks like the three teams that were the dregs of baseball for so long, are all going to the playoffs. The Bucs, who had 20 straight losing seasons, the Orioles, who had 14 straight losing seasons,and the Royals, who had one winning season in 19 years. Ironically, all three of these teams were powerhouses during the first 17 years of divisional play, combining for 20 division titles, and 5 World Championships.

Last edited:

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Even though the Cards face bad teams, they face 3 decent pitchers in their final 4 games.
Arrieta, Miley and Collmeter. They likely will go 3-1 or 2-2, so if we win out or lose 1, we have
a shot at the division.

Hineswardkickedurpanzyass

Reaction score
3-1 tonight! Cards are down 2-0 early. We could be all tied up by midnight. It would be huge to not be the wildcard team and get an extra days rest.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
3-1 tonight! Cards are down 2-0 early. We could be all tied up by midnight. It would be huge to not be the wildcard team and get an extra days rest.

******* D'Bags are too busy firing their manager on the eve of the last 3 games of the season, throwing *****-***, cheap, punk-**** beanballs that cause Cutch to miss 10 games (gee, wonder if those games mattered???), and generally stepping on their own dicks to beat the Cardinals.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
He's baaaaack!
93.7 reporting the Buccos signes A.J. Burnett to a one year deal. $8 million if I recall correctly.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Sit The **** Down is back for his farewell season. He opted to take $4.25M less to come back than take Philly's 2nd year option.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Maybe the fact that he took a lot less can get him somewhat out of the doghouse for me after he lied about either staying with the Pirates or retiring, then promptly skipping out of town to a team that offered a few dollars more. I'll be honest I was rooting for him to get shelled every outing since he left. Now I don't know how to feel.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Sit The **** Down is back for his farewell season. He opted to take $4.25M less to come back than take Philly's 2nd year option.
The talk on local radio is that the rest of the Phillies sucked around him. He was 8-13 or whatever with an ERA of 4.50+ as I recall but had almost 200 strikeouts with over 200 innings pitched. I don't really follow non-Pittsburgh teams but that stat line says it could be the case.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't try to retain Volquez with the money they are giving Burnett. I like Burnett and am glad he's back, but EV clearly had a better year and is certainly younger.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to thesteelcity again.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't try to retain Volquez with the money they are giving Burnett. I like Burnett and am glad he's back, but EV clearly had a better year and is certainly younger.

I think they are still going to tr and re sign Volquez from what I understand. Especially since Liariano rejected the qualifying offer and will probably look elsewhere.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Russell Martin going home to Canada. TOR signed him to a 5 year, $82M deal. I'm thrilled the Jays signed him if the Bucs didn't, but that's a long contract with a hefty price tag for a 32-y.o catcher. Good for him and TOR. I don't blame the Pirates FO from walking away from that deal and not that he doesn't deserve it, but not here.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Russell Martin going home to Canada. TOR signed him to a 5 year, $82M deal. I'm thrilled the Jays signed him if the Bucs didn't, but that's a long contract with a hefty price tag for a 32-y.o catcher. Good for him and TOR. I don't blame the Pirates FO from walking away from that deal and not that he doesn't deserve it, but not here.

This is paying Martin for what he has done and not what he will do. Too bad it didn't work out for the Pirates, one of my favorites and a great player to have on your team. Best of luck to him in Toronto.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
This is paying Martin for what he has done and not what he will do. Too bad it didn't work out for the Pirates, one of my favorites and a great player to have on your team. Best of luck to him in Toronto.

True and he will be an asset in TOR for the next 2-3 years behind the plate. Their window for a WS will be closing from all those deals they signed two years ago. With Polanco's deal still needing done, I just couldn't see the Pirates competing with any team with deeper pockets for Russ. He's was one of my favs too, but there was no way he was staying here..

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
About time Rogers gave the FO the green light to spend, the Dickey deal was just terrible, Reyes has been good, same with Buhlre jhonson was just a bust, they had a good C but good asa 7th hitter with a great OB% could make Navarro the DH, the rotation needs 1 more arm and then the Jays should stay stride for stride with Baltimore, overtake NY @ Boston from season gm 1 till end, a no wildcard or pennant will be unacceptable.

Lmob0621

Reaction score
Cant blame Martin for going home for that contract... It will be interesting to see where our catcher position settles... Cervelli is supposed to be a great framer of pitches but he doesn't have a great arm... I figure he will be the backup to Stewart (since he was already his backup), but I hope Sanchez can stay with the big club.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
I read somewhere where Cervelli throws out at a 27% rate. His main problem has been staying healthy.

Max Power

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm okay with Cervelli and Stewart but we MUST push the offensive production we lost with Martin to someplace like... First Base? Not convinced Pedro is that answer.